Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/742783663000158208

Whoa

"Any other questions Mr. Majority leader?"

"So is Hilla-"

"No"

:sadturtle:

You know, if you were to have told me that republicans would consider gun control after 49 gay men were gunned down but not after 20 school children were gunned down I would have laughed in your face... yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jim Hoft, a longtime hard-right blogger also known as the Gateway Pundit, thinks he has the answer. Yesterday, Hoft revealed that he was gay on Breitbart news and argued that it was time for gay people to “come home” to the conservative party. He wrote: “I can no longer remain silent as my gay brothers and sisters are being slaughtered at dance clubs. There is only one man who can lead this nation and protect all gays and all Americans. His name is Donald Trump.”

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/LukeRussert/status/742790716804476928

Look at the big brave GOP congressional leadership.

It's like waking up to find a flaming bag on your front steps and having to sidestep it every day. Get used to it you miserable assholes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Require all firearms owners to purchase insurance for each gun they own and different insurance plans amounts for what they wish to do with it with the firearm (hunting, concealed carry) and what firearms they own (rifle, shotgun).

If they do not have this insurance, they must keep the weapon(s) locked away unless they are necessary to protect the security of a free state.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

LeJackal posted:

The off-duty office retreated after the suspect went inside, then when the rest of the cops arrived they sat outside for three hours, despite knowing that rapid response is key to stopping an active shooter/terrorist.

They likely did this because police are scum and love to see minorities die.

These are about as sensible as requiring Planned Parenthood to have full ICUs and admittance privileges.

Ding, ding ding ding. There you go, thinking about why we have violence, instead of how its done. Now start thinking about all the money and manpower you'd could spend to address poverty and inequality directly if you didn't waste it on trying to force method shifts.

Everybody brings up knives, but if a determined person wants to kill a lot of people, they can.

So lets keep it in perspective;

Ask yourself honestly - what do you care more about, banning(or controlling) guns, or saving lives?

Where can you spend money and effort to get the most improvement for the maximum number of people?

Welp since there will always be murders and fire, I guess we should just give up and let anyone by a machine gun.

But our government actually does regulate things for public safety, like fire occurring in buildings. There are buildings codes that must be followed, inspections, a need for fire exits, etc. Money is spent on that. Actually fires occurs with less frequency every year because of improving standards. Arson can't be regulated into oblivion. There will always be arson, and accidental fires, but steps have been taken to decrease the chance of fire causing serious deaths and damage. I can't imagine the Great Chicago Fire happening today.

Even with strict gun regulations, there would still be people shooting other people with guns, but such tragedies can be reduced.

And now I remember children being gunned down in a school cannot get some people to consider gun control.

Another good alternative to a hot dog is just some bratwurst with mustard on a slice of toast. I enjoy also enjoy a brown onion sauce with lots of sliced sausage in a sandwich. Kind of like a German po-boy.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

theflyingorc posted:

There are very few people who have no interest in some level of semi-auto for those two purposes, in my opinion. If I thought I needed a weapon for defense (I don't think that), I would want a semi-automatic pistol, I would want to be able to fire 6-8 shots rather rapidly.

You don't need a semi-auto rifle for hunting. Bolt action and Bow hunting are where it's at.

And like Bi Now said, Shotgun is the home defense standard. A.) Penetration is bad, especially if you live in a townhouse. And B.) Handguns are innaccurate, more likely to be stolen, easier for a child to hurt themselves with, etc.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Lid posted:

Jim Hoft, a longtime hard-right blogger also known as the Gateway Pundit, thinks he has the answer. Yesterday, Hoft revealed that he was gay on Breitbart news and argued that it was time for gay people to “come home” to the conservative party. He wrote: “I can no longer remain silent as my gay brothers and sisters are being slaughtered at dance clubs. There is only one man who can lead this nation and protect all gays and all Americans. His name is Donald Trump.”

:siren: Could Drudge be next? :siren:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

You know, if you were to have told me that republicans would consider gun control after 49 gay men were gunned down but not after 20 school children were gunned down I would have laughed in your face... yet here we are.

I wouldn't count this as anything but noise until he actually does or says something

This is a guy who said that his main concern for SCOTUS picks is if they're NRA-approved

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What did Trump say that is making Republicans pretend he doesn't exist?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

showbiz_liz posted:

How did they not figure that out months ago, is my question. Yeah Trump is 24/7 reality TV these days and Americans love reality TV, but that doesn't mean they love reality TV stars. As often as not, they gleefully despise them. People will click on stories about Trump whether they're positive or negative, so the relative kid-glove treatment he's been getting just makes zero sense to me.

everyone was convinced he would flame out soon and didn't want to be the first one to break the professionalism taboo by calling trump out. the media fetishizes impartiality. now that there's a breach in that wall, especially now that trump is revoking press credentials, it's open season

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Take your pick but it seems to be a confluence of his comments about Judge Curiel, then doubling down on it to say muslims and women couldn't judge him, and then in the wake of a deadly mass shooting responding with even more vile racism and bigotry in really undignified manner that included him later in the day saying Obama was rooting for the terrorists and is perhaps, a secret Jihadist.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Obama is a secret Muslim that sides with the terrorists.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wakko posted:

I understand your viewpoint, but I can't help but see it as fundamentally opposed to liberalism. Lives are lost because of an insistence that the right to due process is more important that taking dangerous folks off the streets, that the right to free speech is worth protecting even when it allows terrorist groups to disseminate hatred and recruit from our population, that the right to privacy ensures drunk drivers will kill 8000 people this year and another 25000 will die to heroin.

Liberal societies are manifestly unsafer than authoritarian ones in this way, but I would expect liberals to generally agree that it's worth it because liberty is better than safety. The right to defend oneself and to challenge tyranny with the tools of force are rights that the average cosmopolitan liberal will likely never exercise in their lifetime, but are absolutely in keeping with the liberal tradition.

When I speak at someone, I don't deprive them of rights.

When I am given my due process under the law, the prosecutor is not deprived of rights.

When I am allows to vote, the candidate is not deprived of rights.

When I shoot at someone, they are deprived of rights and potentially all of them.

For the record, I support a ban on sales of all cars designed to intentionally kill pedestrians too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's not necessarily what he's saying, because for the most part, they all agree with him on all the poo poo he says, though stuff like the Curiel thing I think they're genuinely aghast at. The issue they have is they've realized that now the press and Democrats are going to do everything they can do to tie every single sitting Republican to the dumbest poo poo Trump says. Notice they're going hardest after the ones who have expressed support for him or calls for unity behind a flawed candidate for the sake of keeping Clinton out of the WH.

The only way to avoid a, "you said it's important to support Trump in the past, so do you believe the GOP should embrace his comments that American ciitzens don't count if they're brown or do you think support for him should be withdrawn?" question is to just not answer at all, which looks bad but not nearly as bad as answering it

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not a huge deal but, some of the victims were women.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lawsuit: 6th Graders Dragged Black Girl by Rope Around Her Neck

quote:

The school describes the injury as an “accident,” as the family seeks $3-million in damages.

The family of a black sixth grader in Texas is suing her school after white students wrapped a rope around her neck and pulled her to the ground after bullying her for months.

When the girl, referred to in the lawsuit as “KP,” transferred to the private school, her family was at first happy that she was receiving a better education.
But soon, she encountered bullying.

That day, KP was standing to the side of the swing, when behind her, three boys—including her bully—pulled the rope back. Instead of swinging the seat, they allegedly wrapped it around her neck and used it to violently jerk her to the ground.

It cut into her skin, leaving a burn. They did not help her off the ground, the suit alleges.

When she told adults what happened, she was given Vaseline for her neck and Motrin for the pain. None of the adults informed KP’s mother afterward or when they returned the kids to the school to be picked up from the trip.

The adults were in on it. :kkk:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

he's using the dogwhistle way too much, draining its power and threatening the stability of the republican coalition

the GOP is tenuously able to hold on to power because it has three factions - greedy corporate types and business-firsters, religious social conservatives, and racist poor whites. generally the business elites mastermind the whole thing by paying lip service to and every once in a while throwing a political bone to the god botherers and the racists. the racists have convinced themselves that they are the true heirs of the american heartland, hence all the distrust of the establishment and the Tea Party. this threatens the ability of the business faction to maintain power and pass things they like such as low taxes, no min wage increases, etc.

trump is basically out there leading the racists around in a big shouty mob which is not sufficient to get him elected, at the cost of fracturing the relationship between the party and one of its few reliable demographics even further. the price of mending this divide is to give more power to the racists which is a bit like a mafia don letting his goons make the decisions, and the last thing the GOP needs is the racists further alienating the bulk of american moderates

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Obama is a secret Muslim that sides with the terrorists.

I see Trump's pivot to the center is going well.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

RuanGacho posted:

It wasn't dumb poo poo 200 years ago but it sure is now. There is no reasonable scenario that people who wrote a law that long ago could conceive of the nature of a modern uprising and how it would play out. They couldn't even imagine the US becoming a global empire, never mind the land mass it would span.

If you're aiming guns at the government you either have popular support or you don't and if you don't think 2nd sure as gently caress isn't going to help.

Just to clarify- are you saying liberalism as a philosophy is dumb poo poo? I was driving at consistency from a philosophical standpoint, not the practical aspects of revolution.

Prester Jane posted:

I would like to state here that in my experience making the argument that there is some sort of Enemy that is such a massive threat that it requires the suspension of due process in order to keep us safe is the first step to psychologically accepting authoritarianism. (And you also made this point while talking about how authoritarian societies are "safer" than liberal ones.) I would suggest that you do not know very much about how "safe" authoritarian societies actually are in practice. Historically speaking, the safety has always been an illusion.

Sorry for being unclear here, I was trying to pack a lot of meaning into "in this way". I'm not suggesting that authoritarian societies produce lower net mortality rates, obviously executions and secret prisons aren't great for net safety. We do see regular news stories meant to generate outrage about known suspects or criminals pre-trial getting arrested for committing another violent act, and these specific deaths would be prevented by absolute lack of due process, but I think just about all posters here would agree that's a bad thing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lid posted:

It's funny how the GOP now expects the LGBT community to just forget 60+ years of conservatives making GBS threads on them.

I'd love to see people go back to when Gay marriage was finalized and pick out called shots on how quickly the GOP were going to try and rewrite their history.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In non gunchat news US Appeals court sided with Net Neutrality:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/14/471286113/u-s-appeals-court-holds-up-net-neutrality-rules-in-full

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ligur posted:

Hay guyz, Finland and Switzerland amongst others have top 10 most guns per capita. Gun crime is almost non-existent anyway.

Do I think Random Guy should be allowed to buy an AR15? No way.

But there is something else than gun control going on in US right?

One thing that an European will notice is that many of the mass-shooters have been reported to have morbid interest in past mass-shootings, which suggests self-perpetuation amongst other things. (Someone posted pages back "male machismo" fuels shootings and violence iirc, but many of the shooters seem to be the opposite of confident alphas but weird geeks scorned by potential sexual partners intead, just caught my eye.)

That said number one, gun control would probably help but that is not treating the cause. As far as I understand there are so many firearms in circulation already it would take a generation or two to effectively combat the issue :/

That said number two, I can't think of any other way either, it's just that the population is already so well armed u r hosed if you do or if you don't...

Listen man I get that you're not from the States, but trust when I tell you this is an argument that has gone around here for decades and decades.

Finland and Switzerland are not the US. They do not have the same lax laws, and we do not have the same standards they have.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking about them as a category, even though they are my favorite type of gun to shoot!

Yeah but it needs to be a pump, not one of those sissy over/unders. :smugdog:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Take your pick but it seems to be a confluence of his comments about Judge Curiel, then doubling down on it to say muslims and women couldn't judge him, and then in the wake of a deadly mass shooting responding with even more vile racism and bigotry in really undignified manner that included him later in the day saying Obama was rooting for the terrorists and is perhaps, a secret Jihadist.

Also, Putin now has all of the Dems' oppo research on him. You know, the research that he forbade his own staff from doing to protect him.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Crain posted:

It's funny how the GOP now expects the LGBT community to just forget 60+ years of conservatives making GBS threads on them.

I'd love to see people go back to when Gay marriage was finalized and pick out called shots on how quickly the GOP were going to try and rewrite their history.

I'm surprised that the self-identified LGBT vote hasn't gone the way of the black vote in terms of polarization towards the Dems.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Jesus christ, the whole article is definitely worth the read. They tried killing her. There's no other way to read it. And the school did nothing.

White texans, stop being the loving kind of white texans that people say you are, god drat it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:catstare: Holy gently caress, how does the school even HOPE to defend this.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Wakko posted:

Just to clarify- are you saying liberalism as a philosophy is dumb poo poo? I was driving at consistency from a philosophical standpoint, not the practical aspects of revolution.

Sorry for being unclear here, I was trying to pack a lot of meaning into "in this way". I'm not suggesting that authoritarian societies produce lower net mortality rates, obviously executions and secret prisons aren't great for net safety. We do see regular news stories meant to generate outrage about known suspects or criminals pre-trial getting arrested for committing another violent act, and these specific deaths would be prevented by absolute lack of due process, but I think just about all posters here would agree that's a bad thing.

I'm speaking of the practicality of the 2nd amendment and I think it's a significant error to consider the defense of the second amendment an issue of liberty when its stated purpose is at best, questionable in its potential effectiveness, and is used as a hobby horse from having to answer tougher questions about the murder of American citizens. I find it especially repugnant because when we speak of things like giving up liberty for security it completely ignores the rather complex and mostly accepted safety regulation we have in society already.

I take on the tyrannical persona as a rhetorical device because I find all the counter arguments farcical at best. As an example a chefs knife properly sharpened could be one of the most deadly blades you could turn on someone, but that's not why we make chefs knives.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Teddybear posted:

I'm surprised that the self-identified LGBT vote hasn't gone the way of the black vote in terms of polarization towards the Dems.

lol I didn't even think of the angle that if Trump were elected Putin would have so much dirt on him that he could and would blackmail him over it.

Amazing how screwed the Republicans are. This is all karma for so many years of the Southern Strategy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I think it's pointless until the SC rules the 2A is a collective right that can be limited.

Until then it's more productive working on the social issues leading to these men committing suicide. Mental healthcare, but also meaningful well paying work that doesn't dehumanize us. These are alienated men without hope. I'm 100% serious that single payer and a decent social safety net work work way better to prevent these shootings than an assault weapons ban.

Most mass shooters come from well off or at least average circumstances.

Their actions do not stem from poverty. Only a small percentage of shooters exhibit psychosis before their killings, https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-were-wrong-mass-shooters-000000296.html?ref=gs. So no, single payer would not help.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Anyone bring this up yet?

https://twitter.com/politicocharlie/status/742384410331389952

Take June state polls for what they're worth but holy poo poo lol

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Lid posted:

Here's the full context of that quote:

Jim Hoft posted:

I can no longer remain silent as my gay brothers and sisters are being slaughtered at dance clubs.

There is only one man who can lead this nation and protect all gays and all Americans. His name is Donald Trump.

In 2015 a conservative Supreme Court granted gays the right to marry.

In 2016 only one candidate will protect gays from another Islamist attack.

Yes, the LGBT community owes many thanks to Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito for fighting for their rights!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That KS poll is Zogby so it has about as much weight as me just saying "Trump 38 Clinton 45".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Anyone bring this up yet?

https://twitter.com/politicocharlie/status/742384410331389952

Take June state polls for what they're worth but holy poo poo lol

I'd just like to note that this was from before pulse.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: Holy gently caress, how does the school even HOPE to defend this.

Let's see if they use their old defense for past incidents:

quote:

Email evidence submitted in the suit shows that the school’s principal, Allison Buras, responded by writing: “It sounds like he may have pushed on the back of her leg to make her leg buckle, which is something the kids sometimes do. Rarely is that done out of meanness but more out of a desire for sport.”

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Popular Thug Drink posted:

he's using the dogwhistle way too much, draining its power and threatening the stability of the republican coalition

the GOP is tenuously able to hold on to power because it has three factions - greedy corporate types and business-firsters, religious social conservatives, and racist poor whites. generally the business elites mastermind the whole thing by paying lip service to and every once in a while throwing a political bone to the god botherers and the racists. the racists have convinced themselves that they are the true heirs of the american heartland, hence all the distrust of the establishment and the Tea Party. this threatens the ability of the business faction to maintain power and pass things they like such as low taxes, no min wage increases, etc.

trump is basically out there leading the racists around in a big shouty mob which is not sufficient to get him elected, at the cost of fracturing the relationship between the party and one of its few reliable demographics even further. the price of mending this divide is to give more power to the racists which is a bit like a mafia don letting his goons make the decisions, and the last thing the GOP needs is the racists further alienating the bulk of american moderates

When your success depends on pandering to the lowest common denominator of racist white garbage, at some point someone was going to realize that they could derail the whole thing by openly promising what everyone else was just hinting at.

Other candidates flirted with this sort of thing (e.g. Pat Buchanan, Michelle Bachmann), but nobody would commit to it fully until Trump.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Let's see if they use their old defense for past incidents:

Ah yes, the renowned sport of Lynching. A Southern tradition indeed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
That gunman in the Texas Wal-mart was apparently killed, by the way.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Trabisnikof posted:

When I speak at someone, I don't deprive them of rights.

When I am given my due process under the law, the prosecutor is not deprived of rights.

When I am allows to vote, the candidate is not deprived of rights.

When I shoot at someone, they are deprived of rights and potentially all of them.

For the record, I support a ban on sales of all cars designed to intentionally kill pedestrians too.

I see this as overly simplistic.

When you speak to a group of violent theocrats and tell them they need to protect "babies", and one of them murders an abortion doctor, your speech shares responsibility.
When a prosecutor is forced to release a mugger on bail and he goes on to kill a family in a home invasion, due process shares responsibility for the loss of their lives.
When you shoot at the man violently assaulting you, you are definitely depriving him of his life and his rights and that is your right as a citizen of a free society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wakko posted:

I understand your viewpoint, but I can't help but see it as fundamentally opposed to liberalism. Lives are lost because of an insistence that the right to due process is more important that taking dangerous folks off the streets, that the right to free speech is worth protecting even when it allows terrorist groups to disseminate hatred and recruit from our population, that the right to privacy ensures drunk drivers will kill 8000 people this year and another 25000 will die to heroin.

Liberal societies are manifestly unsafer than authoritarian ones in this way, but I would expect liberals to generally agree that it's worth it because liberty is better than safety. The right to defend oneself and to challenge tyranny with the tools of force are rights that the average cosmopolitan liberal will likely never exercise in their lifetime, but are absolutely in keeping with the liberal tradition.

Its a public health issue. Liberalism (progressivism) from its earliest days have been associated with public health causes.

• Locked thread