Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Ynglaur posted:

What's the promocode?

It was ACERPERFMNTR. Not sure if it works any more since the page isn't displaying it at the top. Of course Newegg puts it on sale less than 24 hours after I buy it off of Amazon. $40 price difference and tax on top of it. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like a killer deal even without the code:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bloodplay it again posted:

It was ACERPERFMNTR. Not sure if it works any more since the page isn't displaying it at the top. Of course Newegg puts it on sale less than 24 hours after I buy it off of Amazon. $40 price difference and tax on top of it. :sigh:

Already closed. :smith:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like a killer deal even without the code:

What a perfect time to whip out my purse of Zimbabwean pennies.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I got my Acer XB271HU today, here's my little mini review.

My previous main monitor was a Dell U2412M (1920x1200 @ 60Hz). The XB1 is about two inches wider and one inch taller. You get higher pixel density but not much size increase due to the difference in aspect ratio. The width difference is really nice for movies though.

The stand doesn't have the garish appearance in person that it does in Acer's marketing. The bright red is really an unobtrusive lightly metallic maroon. The angular legs do stick out a bit which might be slightly annoying for some. Overall the stand is as good as Dell's one. The stupid Predator logo on the bezel isn't visible when in use.

The panel has no dead pixels and its backlight bleed is minimal, actually slightly better than my Dell. The contrast ratio is slightly higher, there's very little IPS glow, and it has better black levels. Very good.

Brightness uniformity is mediocre. At the right edge of the screen it looks like it's about 15% darker. This is only noticable when you're looking at something where that area of the screen is flat white, but for a 750 euro monitor that definitely knocks a star off.

General usability stuff:

OSD is fairly decent. Physical buttons, easy to use in the dark, power LED guides your finger on the first press. The Dell one is better overall.

It's extremely fast at turning on, waking up and switching inputs. Less than one second.

The power LED is one of those drat bright blue ones. There's an OSD option to dim it but it's still too bright and it's quite noticable in the dark. I'll be getting out the permanent black marker for that. A red one obviously would've fit the colour scheme better and wouldn't need dimming. :shrug:

You need a fairly new graphics card to use the 144Hz refresh rate. I have a GTX 660 Ti and I'm limited to 120hz because the GPU can't run the pixel clock at that high a frequency. This never occurred to me before buying it. It doesn't bother me since it's still amazingly smooth and I had planned to upgrade my GPU soon. Just something to be aware of for anyone planning to stick with an older GPU for a while.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spatial posted:

I got my Acer XB271HU today, here's my little mini review.

My previous main monitor was a Dell U2412M (1920x1200 @ 60Hz). The XB1 is about two inches wider and one inch taller. You get higher pixel density but not much size increase due to the difference in aspect ratio. The width difference is really nice for movies though.

The stand doesn't have the garish appearance in person that it does in Acer's marketing. The bright red is really an unobtrusive lightly metallic maroon. The angular legs do stick out a bit which might be slightly annoying for some. Overall the stand is as good as Dell's one. The stupid Predator logo on the bezel isn't visible when in use.

The panel has no dead pixels and its backlight bleed is minimal, actually slightly better than my Dell. The contrast ratio is slightly higher, there's very little IPS glow, and it has better black levels. Very good.

Brightness uniformity is mediocre. At the right edge of the screen it looks like it's about 15% darker. This is only noticable when you're looking at something where that area of the screen is flat white, but for a 750 euro monitor that definitely knocks a star off.

General usability stuff:

OSD is fairly decent. Physical buttons, easy to use in the dark, power LED guides your finger on the first press. The Dell one is better overall.

It's extremely fast at turning on, waking up and switching inputs. Less than one second.

The power LED is one of those drat bright blue ones. There's an OSD option to dim it but it's still too bright and it's quite noticable in the dark. I'll be getting out the permanent black marker for that. A red one obviously would've fit the colour scheme better and wouldn't need dimming. :shrug:

You need a fairly new graphics card to use the 144Hz refresh rate. I have a GTX 660 Ti and I'm limited to 120hz because the GPU can't run the pixel clock at that high a frequency. This never occurred to me before buying it. It doesn't bother me since it's still amazingly smooth and I had planned to upgrade my GPU soon. Just something to be aware of for anyone planning to stick with an older GPU for a while.

Thanks, that's actually really helpful for me right now, especially since I'm trying to figure where to move to from my old 1920x1200 monitor.

What GPU are you thinking of matching it with?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 14, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Boz0r posted:

EDIT: Also, that Asus monitor is glossy, which is really annoying.

What monitor are you talkin about?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

This is the first time I've ever wanted an Alienware laptop, a 13" with an OLED display? That seems... actually nice and maybe worth the alienware tax.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11924092/alienware-oled-laptop-alpha-r2-aurora-announced-pricing-release-date-e3-2016

Do they even have OLED monitors yet, especially at 1440 or 4k?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ynglaur posted:

Already closed. :smith:

That's odd, the promocode on the page said it was good until 6/20. I wonder if it was a fuckup and they didn't intend for it to apply to this monitor, or maybe it wasn't supposed to go live yet?

My monitor's order is showing on the site as shipped and not cancelled so I have no idea. :shrug:

Spatial posted:

I have a 660 (not ti) while waiting to get a 1070 and never thought of this either. Running at 120hz is still going to be a nice improvement from my 60hz 1920x1200 Dell though. Unless I cave and just buy a firesale 980ti.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 15, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's odd, the promocode on the page said it was good until 6/20. I wonder if it was a fuckup and they didn't intend for it to apply to this monitor, or maybe it wasn't supposed to go live yet?

My monitor's order is showing on the site as shipped and not cancelled so I have no idea. :shrug:

I have a 660 (not ti) while waiting to get a 1070 and never thought of this either. Running at 120hz is still going to be a nice improvement from my 60hz 1920x1200 Dell though. Unless I cave and just buy a firesale 980ti.

Newegg promocodes have a specific amount of money alloted to them, for instance if it's $5 off something and 1k total off then the code could be used 200 times before it becomes invalid, that is why they say "while funds last" and such in the emails with the ads for these deals, they don't divulge the number of times the codes can be used but it is limited.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, that's actually really helpful for me right now, especially since I'm trying to figure where to move to from my old 1920x1200 monitor.

What GPU are you thinking of matching it with?
You're welcome! I'll probably get a GTX 1070. I was thinking about getting a GTX 1080, but now that I have the monitor I don't think it's necessary. One of the nice things about g-sync is that you don't have to worry about falling below a magic number of FPS to have a good smooth game. It feels consistent all the time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Boten Anna posted:

This is the first time I've ever wanted an Alienware laptop, a 13" with an OLED display? That seems... actually nice and maybe worth the alienware tax.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11924092/alienware-oled-laptop-alpha-r2-aurora-announced-pricing-release-date-e3-2016

It's odd, though: you can't get the GTX 960M with 4GB with the OLED: only the 2GB. You can get the 4GB version with the IPS panel.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

There's a Dell 4K 120Hz OLED coming out soon I think. Price will be astronomical though, 5000+ USD.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Last I read, OLED still had issues with image retention which seems like it would be no bueno for a personal computer but I think I remember reading LG having some sort of break through.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Last I read, OLED still had issues with image retention which seems like it would be no bueno for a personal computer but I think I remember reading LG having some sort of break through.

I think that's been mostly solved by the use of multiple layers for colour reproduction.

For a long time, OLED used separate LED configurations for each blue, red or green subpixel, which lead to some burning out before others. Now, they use only red (the longest lasting and cheapest), and coat it with an appropriate phosphor to give it the right colour. You shouldn't see any long term image burn-in, though you might get retention that needs time to recover if you leave it on the same image too long.

This alienware will be a good test of all that, as people will buy them and talk about the issues.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I am thinking about buying either a Acer XB271HU or an Asus PG279Q as well as something as a new second monitor. I currently have a 970 but will probably upgrade to a 1070 sometime in the future. Is a 970 at 1440p going to be able to run stuff at high enough graphic settings to not look like poo poo until I am able to upgrade or should I just wait?

What do people generally look at for a second monitor when picking up a high end primary for gaming? Just same size/resolution?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ynglaur posted:

It's odd, though: you can't get the GTX 960M with 4GB with the OLED: only the 2GB. You can get the 4GB version with the IPS panel.

Yeah, using a generation old, middling GPU on a great screen like that is the most annoying poo poo that laptop manufacturers do.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 15, 2016

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

KingEup posted:

What monitor are you talkin about?

The VH236H that I have already.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, using a generation old, middling GPU on a great screen like that is the most annoying poo poo that laptop manufacturers do.

And here I am putzing along with a GTX 680M.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ynglaur posted:

And here I am putzing along with a GTX 680M.

I'm not saying there aren't cards that aren't just fine for general gaming on the go, but when you make your laptop display the primary draw, there should really be a higher performance card driving it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's a novel solution to the panel degrading after a while, clearly. :v:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm not saying there aren't cards that aren't just fine for general gaming on the go, but when you make your laptop display the primary draw, there should really be a higher performance card driving it.

Oh, I agree. I'm just lamenting the fact that, while the GTX 680M is a great card--especially with the 4GB of VRAM I have--I still feel tech-envy when I see people lamenting their poor, poor desktop 970.

On the bright side, Pascal mobile chips will be available next year if they follow the usual timeline, and external GPUs are actually A Thing. Here's to hoping for a really good bonus next year.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Sorry I've been away and just caught up.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I just realized there are people who have never had a CRT monitor and never known anything above 60 fps (rip 100hz 16x12 Trinitron) and it is making me feel :corsair:

Sony gdm-fw900 24-in flat crt never forget. I would legit still watch cartoons and movies and poo poo on one if I had it. Beast of a monitor but a pretty display especially for the time.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I spent like 1500 on a Philips 19" CRT with my first gaming computing I built with my own money, it was literally 23 kilos.

When I went to net meets (CRT = old enough to know what a net meet is) I had to sometimes ask for another table because that card table will fold under the weight of my monitor.

I remember buying a 4:3 1280x1024 LCD Samsung when it was new and loving it. That badboy is still going strong as a secondary on my secondary rig something like 13 years later.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Trinitrons are by far the heaviest though, because they have a set of wire mesh grilles right behind the front glass that improves resolution at the cost of weighing a metric ton.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 16, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The one thing I don't miss about CRTs is the eye strain. I used a nice ViewSonic I had long after most people switched to LCDs as the first several generations of LCDs were overpriced garbage, but boy oh boy staring at them 8+ hours a day did not feel good.

Oddly enough as soon as I started using LCDs I stopped having really bad dry eye problems.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boten Anna posted:

The one thing I don't miss about CRTs is the eye strain. I used a nice ViewSonic I had long after most people switched to LCDs as the first several generations of LCDs were overpriced garbage, but boy oh boy staring at them 8+ hours a day did not feel good.

Oddly enough as soon as I started using LCDs I stopped having really bad dry eye problems.

Not having a heater pointed at your face probably helped, too.

I must say I so miss degaussing, though. Sooooooo satisfying.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
So I purchased a LG 34um95 off Ebay for $475. Can anyone recommend me a VESA mount for $50-$80. The Ergotech Freedom Arm seens like it will work. I am thinking this going to take up my whole desk but my god am I excited for ultrawide goodness.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
My XB271 arrived today and I decided to set it up on the PC I'm going to be replacing in a few days (drat video card won't arrive until Tuesday, got everything else already :saddowns:).

It's so gorgeous good lord. Even at 'only' 120hz due to having a GTX 660, coming from a Dell 2408WFP it's such a massive improvement it's unreal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Evil Fluffy posted:

My XB271 arrived today and I decided to set it up on the PC I'm going to be replacing in a few days (drat video card won't arrive until Tuesday, got everything else already :saddowns:).

It's so gorgeous good lord. Even at 'only' 120hz due to having a GTX 660, coming from a Dell 2408WFP it's such a massive improvement it's unreal.

Y'all are convincing me to spend significantly more on a monitor than I'd planned.

I can wall mount this thing so I don't have to look at the chicken foot stand, right? If so is there any particular wall mount people recommend?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have mine on an uplift arm thing on my desk. It's black. Looks pretty good.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think the original stand actually looks that bad in person, though. The little decepticon logo branding at the bottom of the bezel is probably worse. It's not really noticeable though.

e: also the monitor is godlike and you should buy it if it's in your budget :P

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's not really, is the problem. Trick is that his range is right up to the Dell Gsync and BenQ freesync 1440, both of which are TN (the latter is pretty cool even though it isn't mentioned often since it also has backlight strobing for high FPS fun).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 16, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That BenQ sounds pretty cool if you are going freesync. Their strobing implementation seemed interesting to me since I think it can be configured to run at lower hz (like for console gaming).

e: This display, right? http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2730z.htm

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 16, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That BenQ sounds pretty cool if you are going freesync. Their strobing implementation seemed interesting to me since I think it can be configured to run at lower hz (like for console gaming).

e: This display, right? http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2730z.htm

That's the one, thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

xthetenth posted:

It's not really, is the problem. Trick is that his range is right up to the Dell Gsync and BenQ freesync 1440, both of which are TN (the latter is pretty cool even though it isn't mentioned often since it also has backlight strobing for high FPS fun).

Yeah. Well, my budget is somewhat flexible -- I have the money, it's just a matter of what I can justify, and that's a lot of money for a monitor. On the other hand, it's kinda like spending a lot on my glasses or my mattress -- it's something I'm using for large portions of every single day.

Basically reading this thread has made me realize that TN, IPS, and refresh rate are things that exist.

Is there a high quality IPS freesync 1440? If the RX 480 turns out to be a quality card, it would be easier to justify spending more on the monitor.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 17, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. Well, my budget is somewhat flexible -- I have the money, it's just a matter of what I can justify, and that's a lot of money for a monitor. On the other hand, it's kinda like spending a lot on my glasses or my mattress -- it's something I'm using for large portions of every single day.

Basically reading this thread has made me realize that TN, IPS, and refresh rate are things that exist.

Is there a high quality IPS freesync 1440? If the RX 480 turns out to be a quality card, it would be easier to justify spending more on the monitor.

There is the XF270HU, which is the FreeSync equivalent to the XB270HU (which itself is the older model of Best Monitor XB271HU). It's cheaper but also unfortunately comes with an older, worse panel and the inherent disadvantages of FreeSync vs GSync (being smaller refresh range, non-dynamic overdrive and lack of backlight strobing).

That said, 480x + XF270HU will be almost inarguably a better dollar/enjoyment ratio than 1070 + XB271HU.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yeah, get the XF270HU. The RX480 isn't "max-everything" for 1440p but it's a good performance for its price.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, get the XF270HU. The RX480 isn't "max-everything" for 1440p but it's a good performance for its price.

Thanks, that looks like it might be a good call. I'm kinda hesitant to switch away from Nvidia but, correct me if I'm wrong, I could get that monitor and two RX 480's in crossfire for less than the cost of a 1070 or 1080 and the XB271?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Correct, or you could get a 480 and replace cards more frequently if you don't now, which is usually a good call for keeping performance high, and you can sell the old card to cover some of the expense. I generally advocate single cards over dual, but don't upsell yourself if the games you play or your willingness to not play max settings 144 hz don't need it.

I'd definitely recommend an IPS if it's a matter of having the money but not wanting to spend it. A monitor is something you can hold onto for a drat long time and is something you use every second of interacting with the computer. A graphics card hurts to pay a ton for because it isn't going to be a fast card by contemporary standards forever. That screen is going to stay a big, gorgeous screen with fluid motion so you can justify spending a bit more by holding on to it five or six years and getting a better experience the whole time.