Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Not in general, but I would consider them fairly transitive when comparing fighters in the same category (in this case, purely physical fighters). Smoker is not purely physical, but he doesn't seem to have much of an advantage over Haki users (Vergo actually called it out as a weakness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Looking it up Luffy has never defeated a vice admiral, but he did fight two at Marineford for a few panels while trying to save Ace. Momosonga and Dalmation engaged him, with each managing to get a hit in before Kizaru shot him with a light beam. He was fairly bloody and out of it before that point given all he'd been through and done and didn't really have a chance to retaliate before Kizaru shot him, so it's not really a good example though I feel - even of his chances pre time-skip. Bartolomeo has defeated one though, so that bodes well for him post time skip at least I think. I also remember most of the Hats treating Smoker like he was nothing to worry about fight wise during Punk Hazard. That may be getting mixed up with how they treat him as a frienemy/ally despite everything though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

smoker hasn't been a threat since like the first time they met him

don't think smoker's ever even won a fight. the times where he might have always got interrupted

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I powered through Thriller Bark on One Pace and I've gotta say even though it wasn't my favorite arc, :zoro: was the absolute peak of badass in the series.

re: Admiral chat, I don't think there's ever been a serious fight between a Vice Admiral and a Straw Hat in the series for a long time, so it's pretty safe to say they all got stronger over the two years to deal with the Worst Generation threat too. One Piece is really great about not having defined power levels, and having unique styles come out sometimes over "Who's strongest" (Like Luffy beating Enel by being his natural weakness). I really do think that Ussop has gained enough tricks to be able to take out anyone pre-time skip outside of Luffy's opponents including the Franky family. He's the Batman of the straw hats, he's got to have a dozen different ways to have dealt with all of them besides a couple plants. Wouldn't be surprised if he picks up seastone bullets somewhere along the way.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 9, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Vice Admiral Momonga shredded Luffy at Marineford.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Official anime colors

I like how this pretty much confirms that Nekomamushi is Garfield. :allears:

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Julias posted:

I like how this pretty much confirms that Nekomamushi is Garfield. :allears:

Which makes Inurashi Odie. Would that make Lord Oden Jon?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

don't think smoker's ever even won a fight. the times where he might have always got interrupted

He kicked Luffy's rear end at Marineford for a moment. Then Hancock interrupted.

Not really a great threat post-timeskip though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Momonga is a swordsman, so it's really unfair to count a clear Zoro opponent against Luffy. It's not cool to kill steal your friends.

Also post time skip Sanji did admirably against Vergo after Nami hosed up his body. Which given the power structure of the monster trio means that Luffy is good to got. Though, Sanji was fighting for a lady, so clearly Vice Admirals ain't no joke.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

RealFoxy posted:

I powered through Thriller Bark on One Pace and I've gotta say even though it wasn't my favorite arc, :zoro: was the absolute peak of badass in the series.

re: Admiral chat, I don't think there's ever been a serious fight between a Vice Admiral and a Straw Hat in the series for a long time, so it's pretty safe to say they all got stronger over the two years to deal with the Worst Generation threat too. One Piece is really great about not having defined power levels, and having unique styles come out sometimes over "Who's strongest" (Like Luffy beating Enel by being his natural weakness). I really do think that Ussop has gained enough tricks to be able to take out anyone pre-time skip outside of Luffy's opponents including the Franky family. He's the Batman of the straw hats, he's got to have a dozen different ways to have dealt with all of them besides a couple plants. Wouldn't be surprised if he picks up seastone bullets somewhere along the way.

He already has the handcuffs, and if he wants to roll with Van Augur by series' end he's going to be imbuing shots with armament haki anyway.

We can't use "Vice-Admiral" as a power level and then in the same breath glorify One Piece for avoiding power levels entirely. Bart beat Maynard because the former's fruit is broken as gently caress, Smoker's W/L is questionable at best, Momonga nullified Hancock's power by sheer will which nobody but Luffy has ever done, Vergo was clearly hiding his power level and definitely would never have accepted a promotion to Admiral as it wouldn't suit his plans. Basically the entire last page has been pointless discussion.

Advice fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 9, 2016

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Advice posted:

Basically the entire last page has been pointless discussion.

This is the natural result of off weeks. Is it preferable to silence? Maybe not. But I'm happy to have an active thread even on off weeks, because I'm rereading the series myself and rewatching the anime with friends AND playing two One Piece video games.

I got a lot of random, lovely musings about One Piece, is what I'm saying, and it's nice to have a place to air them.

Speaking of, I always wanted Usopp to shoot a pair of seastone handcuffs at a logia at a critical moment, giving Luffy or Zoro the opportunity to punch/cut the bad guy. Kinda surprised it never happened and now it seems too late. The closest we got was on Enies Lobby and Usopp hosed it up and shackled himself to Zoro.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Advice posted:

Momonga nullified Hancock's power by sheer will which nobody but Luffy has ever done

It wasn't force of will, he stabbed himself in the hand to distract his boner.

lowercase16 posted:

Speaking of, I always wanted Usopp to shoot a pair of seastone handcuffs at a logia at a critical moment, giving Luffy or Zoro the opportunity to punch/cut the bad guy. Kinda surprised it never happened and now it seems too late. The closest we got was on Enies Lobby and Usopp hosed it up and shackled himself to Zoro.

He did that to Caesar to stop him from escaping at Punk Hazard.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Luffy and Zoro both imbue attacks with haki now so the seastone gimmick is much less important for fighting purposes.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
obviously he needs to get seastone bb's and coat them in something that would dissolve halfway through a logia.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Manatee Cannon posted:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Raposa posted:

Single greatest thing that Jim Davis has ever inspired or led to.
Apart from lasagna cat.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Raposa posted:

Carrot is Nermal

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Raposa posted:

he would be DON Arbuckle

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Star Platinum posted:

It wasn't force of will, he stabbed himself in the hand to distract his boner.

He did that to Caesar to stop him from escaping at Punk Hazard.

I... don't remember that. Weird. I remember something about a pair of handcuffs going missing, but not the payoff.

I'm not doubting you, I should be clear. Just marveling at my dumb brain.

Crazyeyes posted:

Carrot is Nermal

Pudding, jealous of Carrot's cuteness, tries to mail her to Alubarna.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Lays in the Sunny's crows nest*

I hate off weeks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crazyeyes posted:

Momonga is still hardcore though from when he stabbed his own hand to resist Boa's petrification ability.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Is One Piece just on a week break or is it longer? The end of the last chapter said hiatus which isn't normal, but I forget how the issue numbering goes so I'm not sure when the next chapter will hit.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Been awhile but wanted to check up on the One Piece kabuki thing and finally found pictures of the entire cast in costumes

http://one-piece-of-a-blog.tumblr.com/post/131338055389/porche-chan-one-piece-kabuki-x

What a neat show

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-i8RcNQFM

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 11, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's one more week off, according to the issue number it said it'd be back.

E: Or considering early leaks, this is the last week. Should be back next week.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Been awhile but wanted to check up on the One Piece kabuki thing and finally found pictures of the entire cast in costumes

http://one-piece-of-a-blog.tumblr.com/post/131338055389/porche-chan-one-piece-kabuki-x

What a neat show

edit:

This is extremely cool. Magellan, Jim and the Admirals look especially great. Took me a good while to recognize that one guy as Hachi.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What a neat show

edit:
Newkama land truly is paradise.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Newkama land truly is paradise.

Hmm... Haven't seen any okama in Big Mom's wonderland. Sub-par utopia, in my opinion.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

I had a thought last night. Was Brook killed by Germa 66?

Brook and the crew that survived the attack all succumbed to poison and poison is an assassin's tool. And he's been acting weird every time they're mentioned.

Actually, Brook mentioned that he used to be in the army for a "certain kingdom". Maybe that was Germa 66's kingdom. Hell, maybe Brook (and the rest of the Rumbar Pirates?) were targeted because they defected.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

lowercase16 posted:

Brook and the crew that survived the attack all succumbed to poison and poison is an assassin's tool. And he's been acting weird every time they're mentioned.

Actually, Brook mentioned that he used to be in the army for a "certain kingdom". Maybe that was Germa 66's kingdom. Hell, maybe Brook (and the rest of the Rumbar Pirates?) were targeted because they defected.

Maybe Yorki was one of Sanji's grandparents/great grandparents; if you add both of his tattoos together then they make number 3

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Yorki?file=Yorki_Anime_Infobox.png

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Maybe Yorki was one of Sanji's grandparents/great grandparents; if you add both of his tattoos together then they make number 3

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Yorki?file=Yorki_Anime_Infobox.png

Or maybe it's because they together look like the first katakana (?) character in his name spelled out in text (i.e., ヨーキ / Yōki)?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

lowercase16 posted:

That's a good thought, though the Rumbar pirates were from West Blue and the Germa 66 should be from North Blue based on Sanji. I don't necessarily think Brook was a subordinate of the Germa 66, rather the Rumbar pirates probably crossed them at some point and paid the price.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Or maybe it's because they together look like the first katakana (?) character in his name spelled out in text (i.e., ヨーキ / Yōki)?

hmm that's fair, but to be safe let's put him on Yōki Watch

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

hmm that's fair, but to be safe let's put him on Yōki Watch

Boooo.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Is there a chapter this week?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

dordreff posted:

Is there a chapter this week?

Yep, should be out early tomorrow, as usual.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Caesar Clown for next straw hat?

https://youtu.be/nDbWrYp1akc

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

galahan posted:

Caesar Clown for next straw hat?

https://youtu.be/nDbWrYp1akc
yes the guy who murders children for science, total strawhat material

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anime was right posted:

yes the guy who murders children for science, total strawhat material

Honestly it'd be pretty neat if after all the hints dropped about different people it turned out to be the guy who started off doing horrible poo poo and never wanted to be with the Straw Hats, slowly turning around through exposure to them.

E: the story would probably be over for the length of time it would take for him to actually make the switch convincingly, though, Vegeta took almost the entire series from his appearance to switch and he got an enormous amount of focus compared to Caesar. It's probably not happening

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 16, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Korean scans are out so the translations should be here soon and I have no idea what the gently caress Big Mom's ability is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
http://readms.com/r/one_piece/829/3471/1

It's up in English

Big Mam's ability looks like she can literally suck the life out of things.
The sentient snack foods are weird but they're likely related to all of the other sentient things on the island. It may be the result of a Fruit user or something about the islands themselves.
Jinbe being part of her crew is a little unexpected, but I imagine it was done to protect Fishman Island from Luffy's provocation. This might foreshadow a fight between Jinbei and one of the Strawhats.