Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Nintendo...Is Yoshi a boy or girl? He looks like a boy, but he lays eggs. So he should be a she instead. And when he lays the eggs, do they have a smell? Asking for my friend, hehe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They didn't need any justification beyond "we want this character to be a male" but they provided one and it was hilariously dumb.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

and there's no reason why Link couldn't have been a girl, or had a user-selectable gender, this time around.

There's nothing inherently "male" about Link

OH GOD EVERYONE HIT THE DECK

Kramdar posted:

Why can't Mario be a girl? Super Mario Sisters...Nintendo!

just make a Squid Sisters game and have it play like mario

OR have the squid sisters in the next mario game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

enojy posted:

Perhaps the better question to ask is, why should Link be a girl?

because girls also play video games and gender is never an actual aspect of Link's character. why should you be a girl in Pokemon?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BillmasterCozb posted:

just make a Squid Sisters game and have it play like mario

OR have the squid sisters in the next mario game

A Mario Galaxy sequel where one of the planets is straight-up "Earth". Mario thinks he's finally going home after 30 years, but when he arrives it's all Squid Kids and paint combat sports, and he has a Planet of the Apes-style flipout.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Someone suddenly busts in with binders full of naked Links.

She goes on to say, "You'll see in Exhibit A here..."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

let's see how well the triforce balances after i dunk it in the rubbish bin

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Does Nintendo have a streaming schedule or is it just "we're cutting on when we feel like it?"

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Supercar Gautier posted:

"We had a specific vision for this version of Link" is an honest answer that would not have made people angry.

Well THAT'S not true. This is the internet after all, it exists for people to get mad about anything and everything.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

KingEffingFrost posted:

Well THAT'S not true. This is the internet after all, it exists for people to get mad about anything and everything.

If Aonuma had spoken in positive terms about what the team wanted to achieve with the character, instead of spouting some self-contradictory waffle about female heroes disrupting the lore, there's no way the ruckus would be the same.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

KingEffingFrost posted:

I'd be willing to bet there's a chance they (the devs like Aonuma) don't actually ever see the responses on the net these explanations elicit. So they don't see why they shouldn't give them if someone in an interview asks, which the people from Gamespot did.

All those sick burns are lost like tears in rain if they never actually reach the persons who they're actually criticizing.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
What are the odds that we get any new games announced now that they slipped the new Mario party onto the 3DS?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Giving a press answer to an extraordinarily sensitive topic at the moment is never going to satisfy everyone. But I think that the developers have a lot more wisdom and experience with developing games for TLoZ than the general public, and they know how to respectfully handle the brand.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

This has to be the best implementation of amiibo yet, in any game to date.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

less laughter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

This has to be the best implementation of amiibo yet, in any game to date.

Oh man, that's devious. The wolf only has 3 hearts unless you buy and play TPHD (I guess that's the only way to get that amiibo, isn't it).

Nice wolf friend you have there. It'd be a shame if anything happened to it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm really glad that Link is using a ridiculous magitech tablet in this game. I'm loving the aesthetic in these shrines.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fix posted:

I guess that's the only way to get that amiibo, isn't it

Don't worry, the Wolf Link amiibo is sold separately as well.

Though you're right that it won't have as many hearts as one that has data from TPHD saved to it.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 14, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Though many agree the established timeline in zelda is kinda dumb, it makes sense that link would always be a boy because it's literally the same drat person every time. Same zelda, same link.

Link ain't gonna be a girl for lore reasons. If they'd make a girl pc it'd just be zelda as people know and love that character. However, tossing out the brand's main image (link as the pc) for a huge and important entry to both LoZ and Nintendo's nx is a really loving stupid idea. I mean look at metroid and federation force. Samus ain't in it,holy poo poo let's boycott it's release. This game is a big fancy new zelda game, and is vastly important to nintendo that link will be the hero.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If Aonuma had spoken in positive terms about what the team wanted to achieve with the character, instead of spouting some self-contradictory waffle about female heroes disrupting the lore, there's no way the ruckus would be the same.

I hink it's less female heroes disrupting the lore than it is hey the lore says there is a link and a zelda. If zelda is the hero, what're we gonna have link do? I'm not saying they couldn't have thought of something, what I'm saying is that they didn't.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want a game as Hyrule Warriors Impa.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

Though many agree the established timeline in zelda is kinda dumb, it makes sense that link would always be a boy because it's literally the same drat person every time. Same zelda, same link.

Link ain't gonna be a girl for lore reasons. If they'd make a girl pc it'd just be zelda as people know and love that character. However, tossing out the brand's main image (link as the pc) for a huge and important entry to both LoZ and Nintendo's nx is a really loving stupid idea. I mean look at metroid and federation force. Samus ain't in it,holy poo poo let's boycott it's release. This game is a big fancy new zelda game, and is vastly important to nintendo that link will be the hero.

I hink it's less female heroes disrupting the lore than it is hey the lore says there is a link and a zelda. If zelda is the hero, what're we gonna have link do? I'm not saying they couldn't have thought of something, what I'm saying is that they didn't.

Link can be a girl.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Link can be a girl.

Says you.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sprite141 posted:

In Zelda 2, the Link from Zelda 1 has to awaken a different Zelda, one that existed long before Zelda 1 Zelda existed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Link could also be a prince imo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Spellman posted:

Says you.

Why must Link have a penis

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Nintendo let Koei open this Pandora's Box with Linkle, so now they get to reap the consequences.

Sprite141 posted:

This still doesn't explain why Link 100% absolutely needs to be male. I don't think we've ever seen Link and Zelda actually hook up or anything. And hell, even if they did, it's the 21st goddamn century.

Which features of Link's character, as expressed in these games, requires him to be explicitly male? Remember, this is Japan, so pointing out that every lady was lusting after Link in Ocarina of Time doesn't really matter in the face of our modern anime tropes.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Sprite141 posted:

I thought the established timeline said the opposite of this?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't think we've ever seen Link and Zelda actually hook up or anything.

Link and Zelda hooking up every time is literally the reason everything in Hyrule Warriors happens.

vvv Don't do this. Not here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Junpei Hyde posted:

Not that a penis defines boy/girl....(sex characteristics don't determine gender)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

The only characteristics of a male, and Link

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nickoten posted:

I thought the established timeline said the opposite of this?

Yeah; Ganon is constant, Link and Zelda are repeated incarnations across generations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Actually, if you look at these save files, you'll find that Link is actually named "Cheeto"

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'm tempted to refer to Link only in gender neutral pronouns just to tick off some geeks because this is a dumb argument.

Let's argue about something else. Like what else we have to look forward to or something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Wind Waker even spells out that the Link in that game doesn't have a pre-existing connection to any past Links; he's just a brave rando kid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm tempted to refer to Link only in gender neutral pronouns just to tick off some geeks because this is a dumb argument.

Let's argue about something else. Like what else we have to look forward to or something.

Paper Mario got a release date of October 7th.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm excited for Fed Force. Never been a metroid fan, but it looks like fun

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Paper Mario got a release date of October 7th.

:(

Something cool.

Also, how would you guys rank SF Zero because I can't get a straight answer anywhere and I've somehow never played a star fox game.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I would have thought Japan would be cool about girl Link, considering they have this religious belief about the reincarnation of the soul as an animal or gamergater. :v:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SylvainMustach posted:

Waluigi and Daisy amiibo, finally.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm excited for Fed Force. Never been a metroid fan, but it looks like fun

Have you SEEN footage of that game? Looks boring as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SylvainMustach posted:

Also, how would you guys rank SF Zero because I can't get a straight answer anywhere and I've somehow never played a star fox game.

SFZ is easily the best game on the Wii U, and it's another Platinum Games treasure

Game reviewers called it poo poo because they didn't want to learn how to play the loving game correctly (Its just simple gyro controls), even though I watched people at a video game club pick it up and play it pretty much flawlessly after the tutorial. It's another example of game critics being poo poo at their jobs and then whining about the game for their own shortcomings

• Locked thread