Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Meridian posted:

Same.

Picked up Overwatch this weekend. It has been goon fun.

Curious to see how I do against Mcree's tonight after he got Woah There'd.

If you play Tank you'll probably be fairly happy. If you play anyone else you probably won't notice a difference because he can still do ~340 damage to you with a flash before you recover. Assuming the McCree is any decent that is, you'll probably be able to spot bad ones a whole lot easier now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I love the McCree reloading change because now it's back to where it was in the closed beta and feels great. The damage nerf was necessary but the slow reloading after fan the hammer was always the shittiest thing when it went in.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

a cat on an apple posted:

I dropped my sensitivity a lot and it seems it helped my tracking a lot. I'm sitting at 1750 DPI and 6 sensitivity in-game, but a 180 is about half of my mousepad which feels like a bit too much to cover. Is this about where I should be if I want to be a **pro gamer**?

keep lowering it until you need to use the actual walls of your house for a mousepad

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gotta love these brave goons defending the honor of Widowmaker even after she ate a huge nerf due to how stupid she was before.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My sick 52.6% win rate and 2:1 kd ratio

rank 1,308 as Roadhog too heck yeah

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

a cat on an apple posted:

I dropped my sensitivity a lot and it seems it helped my tracking a lot. I'm sitting at 1750 DPI and 6 sensitivity in-game, but a 180 is about half of my mousepad which feels like a bit too much to cover. Is this about where I should be if I want to be a **pro gamer**?

I'm sitting at 800 DPI and 5 in game. A lot of people coming over from team fortress have a higher sens, but coming from counter-strike that just feels wrong to me. Hell, I'd have to drop down to 3 or 4 to get ~what my cs sens is. Some of my friends are doing around 800 and ~10.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you play Tank you'll probably be fairly happy. If you play anyone else you probably won't notice a difference because he can still do ~340 damage to you with a flash before you recover. Assuming the McCree is any decent that is, you'll probably be able to spot bad ones a whole lot easier now.

He can't do nearly that much, though? The stun wears off before he can complete a full fan, and even a full fan only does 270 damage now. If you have any escapes at all you're much more likely to get away from a flash than before.

My concern for this nerf is I'm worried those flanking types with escapes will be able to get away and harass your team while your flash is on cooldown and you'll have a harder time stopping them. I'll need to actually play with it myself and see how many shots I can get off before the escape, but flash and fan already wasn't 100% reliable against Reaper and sometimes even Genji depending on the impact of latency and I'm worried we've traded McCree salt for a new batch of flanking headaches. I won't be able to play for a few more hours though so it could be my theorycrafting is off base and the fan combo is just as good as it ever was against those flankers.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 14, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

An entire game of Hollywood with a single McCree and no Widowmaker. So this is spiral power....

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What is that stupid explosive that Tracer uses on me and how do I avoid it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ehud posted:

It's her ult. You avoid it by dying and respawing

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Opposing Farce posted:

My concern for this nerf is that I'm worried those flanking types with escapes will be able to get away and harass your team while your flash is on cooldown and you'll have a harder time stopping them. I'll need to actually play with it myself and see how many shots I can get off before the escape, but flash and fan already wasn't 100% reliable against Reaper and sometimes even Genji depending on the impact of latency and I'm worried we've traded McCree salt for a new batch of flanking headaches. I won't be able to play for a few more hours though so it could be my theorycrafting is off base and the fan combo is just as good as it ever was against those flankers.

So Mcree isn't the perfect anti-flanker anymore, so what.

Other classes can fill his role now and flankers have a higher chance not to die in two seconds because a Mcree pressed two buttons. The game is going to be more entertaining now that players can live longer in the face of Widows/Mcree.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
if flankers are too good it's not like they can't be nerfed

it's not like mccree being able to kill tanks easily should be a necessary part of mccree being able to deal with tracer and genji

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Gotta love these brave goons defending the honor of Widowmaker even after she ate a huge nerf due to how stupid she was before.

Which thread are you reading, because it's clearly not this one.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ehud posted:

Tracer throws a sticky grenade. If it sticks to you there isn't much you can do. If you are a tank you can try and shield (Zayra) or go into ice form (mei). If its on reinhardt he can shield to block the AOE, but Rein is still going to take the damage.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ehud posted:

It's her ult, and you avoid it by trying to prevent her from getting close, failing, and then panicing and charging right into the middle of your own team so the splash damage takes them all out too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

cheetah7071 posted:

It's her ult. You avoid it by dying and respawing

They always use it on me :mad:

What's the distance on it? Like how close do they have to get to put it on me? And can Zarya block it by shielding at the right second?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ehud posted:

They always use it on me :mad:

What's the distance on it? Like how close do they have to get to put it on me? And can Zarya block it by shielding at the right second?

not quite touching distance but pretty close and it does 400 damage iirc so a barrier would work. not sure if it sticks on the barrier or just bounces to the ground.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You always could deal with Tracer as McCree: Flashbang and click on her head. She's now dead, congratulations you're a good McCree.

Fan the hammer is still there for the bad ones.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

if flankers are too good it's not like they can't be nerfed

it's not like mccree being able to kill tanks easily should be a necessary part of mccree being able to deal with tracer and genji

I don't think it should be, and I don't think it is. There are ways to balance fan's damage so it's more front-loaded and kills flankers reliably without being too good against tanks. That's not the angle they went with, and maybe that's fine, like I said I haven't played with the new patch yet so maybe it all works out perfectly well and McCree is still enough of a deterrent to flankers that they haven't become significantly more dangerous. All I'm saying is that my first thought on seeing the numbers is "I hope Reaper and Genji don't become a problem." (Tracer you can still headshot for a guaranteed kill so whatever.) The vibe I'm getting so far from people who have played is that they're not significantly more dangerous now, so I'm optimistic that it's working out.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 14, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Opposing Farce posted:

He can't do nearly that much, though? The stun wears off before he can complete a full fan, and even a full fan only does 270 damage now. If you have any escapes at all you're much more likely to get away from a flash than before.

LMB still does 140 damage per shot. You can LMB someone in the head twice before they recover, plus catch them with a melee.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Opposing Farce posted:

I don't think it should be, and I don't think it is. There are ways to balance fan's damage so it's more front-loaded and kills flankers reliably without being too good against tanks. That's not the angle they went with, and maybe that's fine, like I said I haven't played with the new patch yet so maybe it all works out perfectly well and McCree is still enough of a deterrent to flankers that they haven't become significantly more dangerous. All I'm saying is that my first thought on seeing the numbers is "I hope Reaper and Genji don't become a problem." (Tracer you can still headshot for a guaranteed kill so whatever.) The vibe I'm getting so far from people who have played is that they're not significantly more dangerous now, so I'm optimistic that it's working out.

Reaper won't become a problem, because blizz did a good job with his shift ability. He's no faster with it, he simply runs at the same speed as always but immaterial. Reaper can't run from sticky situations, and he dies to a better (read:higher skilled) opponent as he should. I'm no aiming pro, and I've absolutely lost the odd stupid 1v1 against widow's machine gun, because he was simply a better aimer than I was. McCree is bullshit because with the aoe of the stun and fth opponent skill meant didly squit, you died to McCree and that was it. Frequently swapped to McCree to deal with better players than me, because it was foolproof.

Skill should always be a thing, and McCree (and the silly widow ult) take it out of the equation. Having said that, I hoped they'd make widow's ult pulse instead of simply be permanent. Same duration, same "see through walls" thing, same announcement volume (ie,quiet as a mouse if she's where she should be) but no more "click here in 3..2...1... headshot. repeat".

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzqLhn0HgvU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
afaik reaper actually moves slightly faster than base speed while in wraith form

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

LMB still does 140 damage per shot. You can LMB someone in the head twice before they recover, plus catch them with a melee.

I'll have to see if that works, I always thought you could only get one guaranteed shot in before the stun wears off.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He does, but not by a whole lot. Basically if Reaper's overextended Wraith form ain't going to save him.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
my favorite pro widowmaker streamer is really bummed out and playing Zarya right now

I love the dude but I can only view this as a good thing

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Something that frustrates me endlessly, but is definitely fair for reaper - he can't reload while smokey. So if he blows his 8 shots and smokes, he comes out if it with no shells. He's definitely not problem territory, I'd be more worried about Genji.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

I'll have to see if that works, I always thought you could only get one guaranteed shot in before the stun wears off.

Stun lasts 0.7s and McCree fires 2 shots/second so you could theoretically fire twice but there's not much leeway there. Flash/Headshot/Melee isn't enough to kill anyone that Flash/Headshot wasn't already killing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The only problem I have with Reaper is his ultimate. I've many games because Reaper shows up and says die die die. When I use die die die it seems like it has a five second cast period before people die die die and when it's used against me and my team we all die die die in an instant it seems. Maybe there is a degree of skill involved to determine when things will die die die, I don't know because I've barely played Reaper.

I'm glad something happened to Widowmaker and Jesse. Looking forward to see what the world is like now that those two have been given a chill pill.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

M. Night Skymall posted:

Stun lasts 0.7s and McCree fires 2 shots/second so you could theoretically fire twice but there's not much leeway there. Flash/Headshot/Melee isn't enough to kill anyone that Flash/Headshot wasn't already killing.

There's an 0.2s period after the stun where you can't fire though, so it seems like you could only get that second shot in if you're 100% perfect at snapping right to the head and latency favors you, which seems unreliable no matter how good you are.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've been working on my Symmetra game, and holy poo poo people seriously underestimate her murderbeam. I've gotten PotG the last three times I've played her because I burned through a team back to front. Once you hook the person in the back of the bunch so many people will run AWAY from their team trying to shake you, but that only turns them into delicious fuel for your engine of death. Not many people even realize what's happening when you stick the beam on them since the damage starts so low, and then they panic once she's up close. Her big advantage is that she gets STRONGER the longer the fight is, so killing an easy target without alerting everyone gives you a ridiculous advantage.

People I Love to See
Mercy: The convenient pull-tab on the bag of eliminations that is her team. If you can kill her without anyone noticing, congratulations on your team kill.
Reinhardt: Turns out there are two kinds of Reinhardts in the world; the kind that thinks they can still hold a shield while you carve out their kidneys, and the kind that doesn't realize your beam reaches farther than their hammer.
Widow/Hanzo: No that's okay you can stay scoped in I'm sure those damage ticks are nothing
Roadhog: Press LMB to ready your teleporter. It helps to start the fight with your beam spun up but if he turns out to be bad at tracking in melee range, use him like the ult battery he is.
Genji: Unless their tracking is perfect they can't melee you before they melt, but for some reason they always seem to think they can.

People I Hate to See
Mei: Impossible to beat, even if you surprise her. Abort abort abort
McCree: He basically exists to stop you, but he can only do that if he sees you first. Don't let that happen, spin up your beam on someone else, and flash-fry him when he's not looking.
Soldier 76: Will kill you immediately the moment he's outside of your beam range.
Pharah/Junkrat: Even if you get the jump on them, you're probably going to eat a bunch of explosives to the face.
Lucio: You will never kill a Lucio with your gun. Ever.

Even the bad matchups go down in 2-3 seconds as long as your beam is at full power, though. I'm tempted to start using her on attack and see if I can get similar results.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

The only problem I have with Reaper is his ultimate. I've many games because Reaper shows up and says die die die. When I use die die die it seems like it has a five second cast period before people die die die and when it's used against me and my team we all die die die in an instant it seems. Maybe there is a degree of skill involved to determine when things will die die die, I don't know because I've barely played Reaper.

I'm glad something happened to Widowmaker and Jesse. Looking forward to see what the world is like now that those two have been given a chill pill.

Reaper's ult has a fairly limited range and there's absolutely no visual feedback showing how wide that range is, so it's annoyingly easy to overestimate its effective range and kill nobody. It's really something you have to get used to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Wildtortilla posted:

It depends on whether you can take them by surprise, either from behind or (much better) above. They have a second or two to shoot you before die die dieing and the only thing you can do about that is make them spend time turning around to find you.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I find it helps to spread some pain around with his left click before ulting.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

M. Night Skymall posted:

You can't fire for the first 0.2s after flashbanging so it's more like zero leeway if you want to have a hope of getting in two shots.

E: Always remember to preview before you post to check new replies folks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Opposing Farce posted:

Opposing Farce posted:

There's an 0.2s period after the stun where you can't fire though, so it seems like you could only get that second shot in if you're 100% perfect at snapping right to the head and latency favors you, which seems unreliable no matter how good you are.

Oh right I forgot I looked at this before and Flash is weird. The amount of effective stun time is actually variable, because the flash is a projectile that explodes either on impact or at a max distance, while the recovery time of the skill is fixed.

The total travel time of the flash is .2s so the amount of effective stun can vary by that much. It's at .5s at max so yeah you are right, most of the time you will not be able to land 2 LMB before they recover. Of course, lag is significantly longer than any of these variables so who knows what the server will decide happened in very tight situations.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh right I forgot I looked at this before and Flash is weird. The amount of effective stun time is actually variable, because the flash is a projectile that explodes either on impact or at a max distance, while the recovery time of the skill is fixed.

The total travel time of the flash is .2s so the amount of effective stun can vary by that much. It's at .5s at max so yeah you are right, most of the time you will not be able to land 2 LMB before they recover. Of course, lag is significantly longer than any of these variables so who knows what the server will decide happened in very tight situations.

Favour the shooter (read: you died to mccree)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've been working on my Symmetra game, and holy poo poo people seriously underestimate her murderbeam. I've gotten PotG the last three times I've played her because I burned through a team back to front. Once you hook the person in the back of the bunch so many people will run AWAY from their team trying to shake you, but that only turns them into delicious fuel for your engine of death. Not many people even realize what's happening when you stick the beam on them since the damage starts so low, and then they panic once she's up close. Her big advantage is that she gets STRONGER the longer the fight is, so killing an easy target without alerting everyone gives you a ridiculous advantage.

People I Love to See
Mercy: The convenient pull-tab on the bag of eliminations that is her team. If you can kill her without anyone noticing, congratulations on your team kill.
Reinhardt: Turns out there are two kinds of Reinhardts in the world; the kind that thinks they can still hold a shield while you carve out their kidneys, and the kind that doesn't realize your beam reaches farther than their hammer.
Widow/Hanzo: No that's okay you can stay scoped in I'm sure those damage ticks are nothing
Roadhog: Press LMB to ready your teleporter. It helps to start the fight with your beam spun up but if he turns out to be bad at tracking in melee range, use him like the ult battery he is.
Genji: Unless their tracking is perfect they can't melee you before they melt, but for some reason they always seem to think they can.

People I Hate to See
Mei: Impossible to beat, even if you surprise her. Abort abort abort
McCree: He basically exists to stop you, but he can only do that if he sees you first. Don't let that happen, spin up your beam on someone else, and flash-fry him when he's not looking.
Soldier 76: Will kill you immediately the moment he's outside of your beam range.
Pharah/Junkrat: Even if you get the jump on them, you're probably going to eat a bunch of explosives to the face.
Lucio: You will never kill a Lucio with your gun. Ever.

Even the bad matchups go down in 2-3 seconds as long as your beam is at full power, though. I'm tempted to start using her on attack and see if I can get similar results.

Not sure how Tracer doesn't make your hate list. Everytime I play against a competent Tracer I can never get a teleporter up for long because she can reach it so easily and then shoot it. Or if you try to defend she tosses her ult at it and welp.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Feature request: Character icons next to names in chat for who they're playing. Yeah I could hit tab and look but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Aside from classes that can escape, would Flash>LMB Headshot>RMB be the highest damage method against high health targets now?