Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Epic High Five posted:

Haha no poo poo? Yeah gonna have to work MTV Politics into my rotation, shame I've been ignoring them up until now but all things considered they should've rebranded if they want the >30 like me to stumble on them

Yeah Holly owns owns own owns. She's really cool IRL. too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Wakko posted:

That's fair, I appreciate your honesty.

The weirdest thing about gun control debates in the USA is how gun control has become associated with liberalism in general. Taking away rights from people is really the conservative's ballgame in this country, racist conservatives having kicked off the modern gun control movement and all.

As a leftist, it feels like I'm perpetually in a bizarro world arguing against self-described liberals who you'd expect to be protecting liberty over safety, desperately wanting to limit rights to make people safer.

It's one of those things. As recently as the 1990s and the AWB, modern gun control was forwarded by a coalition of three groups:
Old social conservatives of Reagan's generation, upset at black/poor people having guns and white kids having new-fangled guns that wouldn't appear in a cowboy movie.
Law and order Democrats, not progressives so much as the ones who saw gun control as one pillar along with stricter sentencing and stepping up the war on drugs
Gun companies, who saw restrictions as a way to edge out cheaper sellers and importers.

As time went on those conservatives mostly died out, or else got to thinking that AK-47s weren't dirty commie stuff after all. The gun companies got pushback from customers who saw they were being thrown under the bus, and dropped out. The rest just got cargo culted into the mainstream Democratic canon, and progressives make up reasons why it's actually what they wanted all along, in the same way that "pro-business, small-government" Republicans make up reasons why it's important for government to enforce Christian values in the bedroom. If it leads to a lot of tortured logic and arguments out of ignorance, it's because it kinda has to.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Gay Latinos? Impossible!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Does... Does he not know what gay is?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Somebody better notify Wikipedia and Pulse's website because they both say it's a gay bar.

Well, the Pulse website did, now all they have is a statement about the incident which includes "From the beginning, Pulse has served as a place of love and acceptance for the LGBTQ community."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gail Wynand posted:

Gay Latinos? Impossible!

Hank Azaria's character in the Birdcage was just an act wholly imagined for cinema with no basis in reality.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Uhhhhhh I think you'll find that a building cannot itself be gay, thus Sen. Sessions' statement that Pulse was not a gay club is accurate

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

brutal. http://www.mtv.com/news/2892805/you-must-remember-this/

just another plug, too, btw at what a fantastic job the mtv politics crew has been doing since it launched

Ana Marie Cox, founder of Wonkette

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At this time last year, I bet the entire GOP thought they'd be running Scott Walker or Jeb Bush against an extremely unpopular Obama legacy.
https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/742812453243891712

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Ana Marie Cox, founder of Wonkette

And?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://gawker.com/now-peter-thiels-...dium=socialflow

new suit against Gawker over the Trump hair story

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Teddybear posted:

Does... Does he not know what gay is?

I suspect there's at least a few Congressmen and Senators who sincerely don't know that "LGBT" is a "gay thing."

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think due process shares any responsibility for not convicting a mugger of the future crime of murder.

Show me speech that's designed to literally kill the recipient (ala BLIT) and maybe I'll argue it should be regulated like guns.

You're entitled to your opinion of course. If you don't mind me asking, do you believe there is a direct relationship between hate speech and hate crimes at all? Is Germany mistaken for suppressing nazi iconography and philosophy?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

emdash posted:

http://gawker.com/now-peter-thiels-...dium=socialflow

new suit against Gawker over the Trump hair story

Trumpcast had an episode a week ago with Feinberg on going through this Ivari character and the treatment he's offered to people.

My favourite is that Ivari would start begging rich people for loans in the middle of a treatment and just leave their hair an unfinished mess if they balked.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Most mass shooters come from well off or at least average circumstances.

Their actions do not stem from poverty. Only a small percentage of shooters exhibit psychosis before their killings, https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-were-wrong-mass-shooters-000000296.html?ref=gs. So no, single payer would not help.

That's the thing though. They're part of this generation that's been fed the bullshit about the American dream yet they're not on a path to be as comfortable as their parents, so while they may come from the "middle" class, they are frustrated and downwardly mobile. People are killing others as a means of killing themselves and giving that suicide some sort of perverted meaning because their own lives have no meaning. Community provides that, and the FYGM-ing of community and the american dream are just alienating more people.

And that's just stereotyping the young white male mass shooter. Many more shootings are happening in the black community where there are definite problems with employment and any sort of upward mobility.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

A Winner is Jew posted:

There is a ton of gay cast that frequented that club and I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to find out that a few cast members were victims.

I heard Iger himself was at one of the vigils.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

just identifying the writer as having a long pedigree

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

What the gently caress?

Some of them are really trying to remove the gay people from this incident, aren't they? That will surely get the gays on their side!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wakko posted:

John Locke also had to flee England for literally conspiring to violently overthrow the monarchy, no? Were you to get his take on how successful the modern US government is at protecting the lives of its people vs. contemporary governments of his time, or even just the remaining distance it has to go to create a perfectly safe society, is it realistic to argue he would consider abolishing private ownership of arms to be in the interests of liberty and equality?

Listen I'm only addressing your point about if there was a dissonance between the prohibition of certain gun rights and liberalism.

1) We don't know what John Locke would think about abolishing private ownership of arms vis a vis liberty because

2) The current concept of gun rights held by those who view it as invioable is a few decades old. And

3) Those people are not part of the liberal movement.

I don't know what else to tell you.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

YOU CAN ONLY BE ONE THING AT A TIME

Epic High Five posted:

Haha no poo poo? Yeah gonna have to work MTV Politics into my rotation, shame I've been ignoring them up until now but all things considered they should've rebranded if they want the >30 like me to stumble on them

MTV absolutely has some good writers. Jamil Smith isn't one of them though, just as a heads-up.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shillary posted:

I heard Iger himself was at one of the vigils.

Wouldn't surprise me.

On the one hand Disney is an evil company that treats it's employees like poo poo, but on the other they're actually really great at making everyone, no matter who they are or what job they do, feel like a part of one big family.

(Full disclosure, I have several friends that are cast at Disneyland and a few of them have said they've met a victim at one point when they went to the other park)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

zoux posted:

What's this thing that the CNN reporter is doing where he doesn't just believe what the Trump spokesman is saying and is actually implying that they are opportunistically pandering towards people?

ancient historical documents suggest this is called "journalism," which was practiced by our ancestors many years ago.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

just identifying the writer as having a long pedigree

ah, yeah. they've gotten some fantastic names.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

Listen man I get that you're not from the States, but trust when I tell you this is an argument that has gone around here for decades and decades.

Finland and Switzerland are not the US. They do not have the same lax laws, and we do not have the same standards they have.

Yeah I get you, this is pretty clear.

I can't walk down a store and buy semiauto rifles if I feel like it.

Just understand, the whole thing is really weird from Euro POV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everblight posted:

ancient historical documents suggest this is called "journalism," which was practiced by our ancestors many years ago.

I've heard tale of such.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

fknlo posted:

What the gently caress?

Some of them are really trying to remove the gay people from this incident, aren't they? That will surely get the gays on their side!

It's difficult to use a tragedy as a wedge to attack a religion when your own religion vilifies the very people whose death you're trying to exploit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama on "radical islam" (@ 13:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fPENHxhsA&t=783s

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Everblight posted:

I'm heartened that Obama's quip at the WHCD that "Jake Tapper left journalism to join CNN" seems to have hit home.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/742820039011753984

end of an era

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

That's the thing though. They're part of this generation that's been fed the bullshit about the American dream yet they're not on a path to be as comfortable as their parents, so while they may come from the "middle" class, they are frustrated and downwardly mobile. People are killing others as a means of killing themselves and giving that suicide some sort of perverted meaning because their own lives have no meaning. Community provides that, and the FYGM-ing of community and the american dream are just alienating more people.

And that's just stereotyping the young white male mass shooter. Many more shootings are happening in the black community where there are definite problems with employment and any sort of upward mobility.

I think this great article is worth reposting: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

And here's a database of recent mass shootings as defined by the FBI: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data

Mass shooting are overwhelming done by young, white males. As far as why, it might be because of what you said. It could also as easily be another reason. The only we can be sure of is that we sure as hell as a country make it easy enough to do so.

Ligur posted:

Yeah I get you, this is pretty clear.

I can't walk down a store and buy semiauto rifles if I feel like it.

Just understand, the whole thing is really weird from Euro POV.

It's pretty weird from an American viewpoint. But we're much more numb to it. Maybe more accepting of it too. What comes to mind is of Christian missionaries in Phillipines (I believe) writing home about knife wielding maniacs perodiaclly going on a stabbing frenzy in the middle of the streets of Manila (I think), and the population shrugging, and accepting it as inevitable.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

That's good. Luckily there is way more money in politics on the content-provider side of the Internet than the infrastructure-side so I don't see this changing.

I do wonder if T-mobile will ever face consequences for BingeOn since it is a direct violation of net neutrality even if they are trying to be sneaky about it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anybody have that "might as well not have laws then" picture on hand?

edit: whoop, found it

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 14, 2016

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Shageletic posted:

Listen I'm only addressing your point about if there was a dissonance between the prohibition of certain gun rights and liberalism.

1) We don't know what John Locke would think about abolishing private ownership of arms vis a vis liberty because

2) The current concept of gun rights held by those who view it as invioable is a few decades old. And

3) Those people are not part of the liberal movement.

I don't know what else to tell you.

I get that. I think your #2 is a little bit hand wavey given that we have the second amendment to the constitution, put in place to safeguard gun rights. The early drafts of the text make clear that at least some portion of the framers considered them if not inviolable, strongly worth protecting as an individual right. I don't think we need to go all Scalia-esque constructionist, attempting to interpret enlightenment thinker's take on modern society, but those thinkers were certainly a part of the liberal movement, near its birth.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anybody have that "might as well not have laws then" picture on hand?

edit: whoop, found it

I'll still link this for posterity:

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Nice. Glad she's coming out in support of Net Neutrality!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/742783663000158208

Whoa

"Any other questions Mr. Majority leader?"

"So is Hilla-"

"No"

:sadturtle:

A Winner is Jew posted:

You know, if you were to have told me that republicans would consider gun control after 49 gay men were gunned down but not after 20 school children were gunned down I would have laughed in your face... yet here we are.
I think this confirms the secret to gun control: fear works better than empathy.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/11/gun-control-race-history-saul-cornell/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wakko posted:

You're entitled to your opinion of course. If you don't mind me asking, do you believe there is a direct relationship between hate speech and hate crimes at all? Is Germany mistaken for suppressing nazi iconography and philosophy?

Of course there is a connection. It is a vastly different connection between a hateful speech act inspiring someone to commit an act of violence and the connection between the weapon used and the act of violence.

German anti-nazi laws probably wouldn't fly in the US and I'm glad. But then again, you have to throw a copy of Mien Kampf pretty hard to kill 49 people.

If we had speech acts that could, through speech alone, kill someone, I would be arguing that regulating that speech is reasonable.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

About that polling bump, https://t.co/QRFZy9yX2b

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Overcompensation Nation: It’s time to admit that toxic masculinity drives gun violence

quote:

In the wake of the horrific shooting in Orlando that left 50 dead, a political struggle is forming on whether to define this act as an anti-gay crime or an act of radical Islamic terrorism.
The answer, it’s quickly starting to seem, is both of these, and more.

His ex-wife describes a man who was controlling and abusive. A colleague says he was always using racial and sexual slurs and “talked about killing people all the time.” Both his ex-wife and his father describe him as homophobic, with his father saying he spun into a rage at the sight of two men kissing. He was clearly fond of guns, having not one, but two concealed carry licenses. He worked at a security firm, a career that can be attractive to men with dominance and control issues. He was investigated by the FBI in 2013 for making threats to a coworker.

There is a common theme here: Toxic masculinity.

Toxic masculinity aspires to toughness but is, in fact, an ideology of living in fear: The fear of ever seeming soft, tender, weak, or somehow less than manly. This insecurity is perhaps the most stalwart defining feature of toxic masculinity.

gunsareforpussies.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Trump has 50% of the white male vote.

Romney had 62%.

Yikes.

• Locked thread