Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

Turing machines can handle all those problems (except the halting one, but you can give yourself an escape valve of, "count the cycles spent thinking about Issue X, if greater than Y, abort and declare the problem too difficult to solve" without much trouble).

This is true - but I could imagine programmer error hitting Big Yud's AI.

Rest of your post is spot on though!

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Why does he bother continuing his joyless life? He seems to be utterly furious that other people could enjoy anything at all.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure this man has never had sex with a real human being of any kind.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

Why does he bother continuing his joyless life? He seems to be utterly furious that other people could enjoy anything at all.

I think pure spite

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think pure spite

If MRAs are anything to go buy, I'll bet you he's extraordinarily boring in real life and has suffered few to none impactful hardships.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People who suffer are grateful for the things they have. People who are entitled and know nothing of suffering lash out like greasy-haired video game enthusiasts.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Jack Gladney posted:

People who suffer are grateful for the things they have. People who are entitled and know nothing of suffering lash out like greasy-haired video game enthusiasts.

Snide comments aside, I don't think a lack of hardship is what makes people lash out—it's entitlement. Middle-class white males really are experiencing a decline in health and economic security, and they've finally realized that decline is the new status quo for them unless something changes. They are pissed about it, but due to a strong sense of entitlement towards all the benefits of America, they interpret the survival and success of any other group of people as a loss for their own group. If everything is owed to you, then anybody else's gain is an act of theft and a personal assault. Hence the intense fury of the Tea Party and the burgeoning support for a nationalist populist like Donald Trump.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Curvature of Earth posted:

Snide comments aside, I don't think a lack of hardship is what makes people lash out—it's entitlement. Middle-class white males really are experiencing a decline in health and economic security, and they've finally realized that decline is the new status quo for them unless something changes. They are pissed about it, but due to a strong sense of entitlement towards all the benefits of America, they interpret the survival and success of any other group of people as a loss for their own group. If everything is owed to you, then anybody else's gain is an act of theft and a personal assault. Hence the intense fury of the Tea Party and the burgeoning support for a nationalist populist like Donald Trump.

The nice thing about MMS is that he makes this explicit http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2013/08/life-is-zero-sum-game.html

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Behold a man who finds ressentiment too subtle, and decided to go all in on pathological resentment.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tesseraction posted:

Imagine your stupid AI fuckshit body trying to think about something and then never ending for eternity because you thought of something outside the bounds of computational complexity.

And yet again, Neoreaction a Basilisk covers this precise implication of the halting problem :-D

hackbunny posted:

Now I wonder, is the writer of The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect related to these goobers? It's an interesting book in that it hits all the "technology singularity happens" beats (including the technological god creating another universe with simpler laws), but without all the weird technology worship (replaced with... plenty of other weird stuff)

It's a pretty good book. So it only came up on LessWrong in passing. The author mentions singularity issues here a bit, with clear awareness of MIRI as was.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Syd Midnight posted:

edit: This scene is very similar to Yudowski's "Timeless Decision Theory" as I understand it. Truly a dizzying intellect.

Ahahaha, perfect.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How often is it pointed out to neoreactionaries that "virtue signaling" is something that all people in real-life society are required to do as a matter of course because nobody wants to hang around the sort of people who don't do it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

divabot posted:

And yet again, Neoreaction a Basilisk covers this precise implication of the halting problem :-D

Hah, nice! I've still not read the ebook because I'm waiting for my physical copy. I love physical books too much to not wait.

Woolie Wool posted:

How often is it pointed out to neoreactionaries that "virtue signaling" is something that all people in real-life society are required to do as a matter of course because nobody wants to hang around the sort of people who don't do it?

That's actually what hbomberguy's most recent video deals with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

*Extremely Less Wrong voice* Humans are social animals. This is a BAD thing

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I would strongly implore anyone who dislikes the social nature of humans to look into the history of banishment and outlawry, the primary way humans in history have been made into non-social animals. Especially the part where the people so punished inevitably died unless they could find a replacement social group.

How do you even argue against humans being social animals? It doesn't matter if you think it's bad, it is what it is--humans need societies as much as they need food and water, they literally die without them. Derobotize yourself and face to humanity.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I would strongly implore anyone who dislikes the social nature of humans to look into the history of banishment and outlawry, the primary way humans in history have been made into non-social animals. Especially the part where the people so punished inevitably died unless they could find a replacement social group.

How do you even argue against humans being social animals? It doesn't matter if you think it's bad, it is what it is--humans need societies as much as they need food and water, they literally die without them. Derobotize yourself and face to humanity.

Died quickly, you mean? Because yeah, anyone who's permanently exiled is probably going to die alone.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

If they had simply pulled themselves up by their bootstraps they could have built a house in the wilderness and lived happily ever after in total freedom like the guy in Anthem.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

Hah, nice! I've still not read the ebook because I'm waiting for my physical copy. I love physical books too much to not wait.

That's actually what hbomberguy's most recent video deals with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

On a quick side note, that's always the problem with crowdfunded items that have a digital and physical version. You tend to get the digital if you order the physical, and I'm the exact same way. I put off listening to an album I funded for months because there was a customs hangup on the vinyl pressings, and I'll be damned if my first listen isn't going to be on my hi-fi. :colbert: Same with books. eBooks are for when you don't want to lug a book out to the cafe, or when you forget to pack one of themost critical sources for the paper you're writing when you head to a conference in another country, and need to get page numbers for quotes immediately. (Not that I've ever done that...)

On the idea of virtue signaling, I don't think it's done as heavily by normal people as the pissbabies suggest. Like, yeah, if I'm, say, mad about the Orlando shooting, I don't voice that initial anger burst of "burn a gun store to the ground, let's make stonewall look like a pride parade", because it's not socially acceptable (and because I'll calm down and regret that thought later). However, for the most part, we're just...generally okay people.

Like, my disgust with, say, a pissbaby ranting about how they should be allowed to gently caress 12-year-olds, isn't because I'm trying desperately to show everyone how good and moral I am. It's because adults sexually abusing children is a loving disgusting, harmful, manipulative thing that damages everyone even tangentially involved. It's generally not about people perceiving you as a good person, it's about the fact that we're generally (with small exceptions) not terrible, lovely people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

*Extremely Less Wrong voice* Humans are social animals. This is a BAD thing

Wasps won't sting me, that black and yellow coloring is signalling!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Wasps won't sting me, that black and yellow coloring is signalling!

I wonder what it's signalling though?

:negative:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/742682036394205184
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/742682246482518016

Rev could sleep if not for the PROGS

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Watch as a supposedly grown-rear end adult loses his poo poo for hours because of a loving wordcloud, those things that were popular to post to your Livejournal in 2006

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love the way his inability to not see that as a dominance play is destroying his life. Seems like a fitting self-punishment.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

divabot posted:

It's a pretty good book. So it only came up on LessWrong in passing. The author mentions singularity issues here a bit, with clear awareness of MIRI as was.

I like this guy! I should re-read the book, I had maybe judged it unfairly the first time I read it. I thought it was a little on the techie wankery side, but I had no idea what true techie wankery was - he clearly cares a lot about the human point of view instead of glossing over it or, you know, outright identifying with the AI. Also I skipped the gore and sex because wtf, but I just finished The Painted Bird and I don't think anything he came up with would faze me anymore

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

InediblePenguin posted:

Watch as a supposedly grown-rear end adult loses his poo poo for hours because of a loving wordcloud, those things that were popular to post to your Livejournal in 2006

To be fair, if you've never been exposed to the corporate world before and get into it late in life so much of it can seem horrifyingly odd, like team building and Myers-Briggs.

Is there some kind of vaccine against the DE? Or at least a techno-utopian nerd religion without all the racism?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

To be fair, if you've never been exposed to the corporate world before and get into it late in life so much of it can seem horrifyingly odd, like team building and Myers-Briggs.

Is there some kind of vaccine against the DE? Or at least a techno-utopian nerd religion without all the racism?

So far for me it was just playing with girls since I was a kid and having friends of different backgrounds and ethnicities.

In terms of now, well education, empathy, mockery for the on the fencers. And there is no nerd techni religion that isn't explicitly bigoted. Because that would imply nerds even listen or care to understand the themes of the shows they obsess over.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Count Chocula posted:

Is there some kind of vaccine against the DE?

Critical thinking. Logic 101. Empathy. Any two of those should see you right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ancaps chose the colours of drones and assholes. Fitting.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Welp, I objected to the use of a certain word in another thread and I've been gifted with a classy new avatar and title.

SA: SJW haven, amirite?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Too many friends of the family in charge imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

Welp, I objected to the use of a certain word in another thread and I've been gifted with a classy new avatar and title.

SA: SJW haven, amirite?

Goons will fight to the death to defend using their favourite insults. I've tended to not even bother with trying outside of political threads because gooners gonna goon.

Plus the kind of poster to throw out bad language like that is someone I don't get along with anyway, so I usually get an opportunity to rile them up just by not agreeing with them, which is nice.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Honestly that's about the only word I ever object to, because some people who use it honestly don't get how offensive it is. Well, that and "retard," but I know better than to try to pick that battle on a forum full of 20something manchildren.

I figure I'll keep it just to remind people how "politically correct" goons actually are (spoiler alert: not very).

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

This should be good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

Honestly that's about the only word I ever object to, because some people who use it honestly don't get how offensive it is. Well, that and "retard," but I know better than to try to pick that battle on a forum full of 20something manchildren.

I figure I'll keep it just to remind people how "politically correct" goons actually are (spoiler alert: not very).

Yeah, it's a word I don't use because of its connotations, but being a Brit I have a lot of fellow countrymen (and posters) who use the word like punctuation.

SpaceViking posted:

This should be good.

He's already back, sadly. Would be nice to see him knocked down properly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oh I guess NOW Free Speech is not freedom from the consequences of speech

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

Goons will fight to the death to defend using their favourite insults. I've tended to not even bother with trying outside of political threads because gooners gonna goon.

Plus the kind of poster to throw out bad language like that is someone I don't get along with anyway, so I usually get an opportunity to rile them up just by not agreeing with them, which is nice.

Hopefully not going to stir up another shitshow (which would only prove my point), but sometimes apologies don't placate the lynch mob. Embracing the awful language isn't the right solution, though. I prefer just apologizing anyway and letting shitters poo poo.

On the matter of shitshows I DO want to see stirred up, however.

SpaceViking posted:

This should be good.

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:THE BLOODGATES ARE OPEN:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

There is no way this doesn't become a glorious frenzy of hate. This thread has actual purpose for me again.

EDIT

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, it's a word I don't use because of its connotations, but being a Brit I have a lot of fellow countrymen (and posters) who use the word like punctuation.

People who use the word in the way Americans find it hella-offensive, then defend it with "I'm English/Australian" or "But the English/Aussies say it" are basically the same as people who think that the n-bomb should be okay since black people use it colloquially as a term of endearment. Actually, I'd wager the venn diagram of both types of people is a circle. An out-of-focus circle at best.

Tesseraction posted:

He's already back, sadly. Would be nice to see him knocked down properly.

Goddamn it, Twitter, grow a backbone.

That said, this is a man who caused a scene at a White House press conference because Twitter removed his checkmark. Even a short-lived suspension will probably goad him to new heights of tantrum throwing that the world has never seen before.

Blood Gate Status: Tentatively open.

Hermetic has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Jun 15, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm the human centipedes

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

This thread needs a Freeper-thread-style title.

The Alt-Right: Free speech doesn't entitle you to be a cùck

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hermetic posted:

Hopefully not going to stir up another shitshow (which would only prove my point), but sometimes apologies don't placate the lynch mob. Embracing the awful language isn't the right solution, though. I prefer just apologizing anyway and letting shitters poo poo.

For the record it wasn't meant to be a subtle dig at you - I did realise it could be but I'm not personally for digging up drama in here.

Hermetic posted:

People who use the word in the way Americans find it hella-offensive, then defend it with "I'm English/Australian" or "But the English/Aussies say it" are basically the same as people who think that the n-bomb should be okay since black people use it colloquially as a term of endearment. Actually, I'd wager the venn diagram of both types of people is a circle. An out-of-focus circle at best.

I can't really explain it myself since where I'm from it's treated as the shockingly-rude word it is, but people from out of town use it as casually as punctuation and no amount of "oi, language" seems to stop 'em even if they concede the connotations.

Hermetic posted:

Blood Gate Status: Tentatively open.

Yeah, hope they decide to double back on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Milo is apparently at the Pulse nightclub being a scumbag vulture and talking to reporters if you want to give him undeserved attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLqkizGtFo0

I sure as hell am not going to because he'll probably just claim he represents the gay community and say something horribly disgusting one sentence later and i'll get mad and drive to orlando and try to punch him or something but hey you guys might like to watch.