Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm replacing an ATI card in my old, old computer (a Radeon HD 5770) with an nVidia card (GTX 750 ti).

Since I'm making the ATI to nVidia leap, do I need to like... purge any traces of ATI drivers from my computer first?

Boot to safe mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Paul MaudDib posted:

Boot to safe mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller

While the old card is still plugged in? Or after the new one is installed?

Do I install the nVidia drivers before or after I install the new one?

Thanks for helping with the question rampage. The only time I did any Learning Bout Computers was 6 years ago when I built this one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

While the old card is still plugged in? Or after the new one is installed?

Do I install the nVidia drivers before or after I install the new one?

Thanks for helping with the question rampage. The only time I did any Learning Bout Computers was 6 years ago when I built this one.

Run DDU, shutdown, swap cards, boot and install drivers.

I doubt it would even run the display when booted on AMD drivers. Maybe using VGA mode.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mr E posted:

I really wish my monitor didn't have a scratch that's noticeable in it or I'd wait for this :(.

Thinking back, I probably overstated it in my enthusiasm for how awesome and game changing it is. The tech is around the corner, but there's going to be affordability issues still, and it's not straightforward for devs to support (big art issues) so it's probably more a generation away for most people, practically speaking.

I think 144 Hz is awesome, but games have tons of issues with basic fps and stutter that makes me question if it's more valuable than, say, 1440p (which does really feel like a sweet spot right now).

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Froist posted:

:hfive: 1070FE + i7-920 buddies! I got mine last night, and upgrading from a 560ti I'm really happy with it. 3D Mark graphics score (I know, benchmarks) went from 3322 to 17553, and despite all the chatter about the noisy FE cooler it's far quieter under load than the Asus DirectCU II cooler I had before.

I gave Project Cars a test and was sitting around 100fps with every setting maxed out, dropping down to 70s with the full rain effects on. Really looking forward to trying out Tomb Raider tonight, and borrowing the Oculus Rift from work for the weekend. I feel that may end in a slippery slope of me impulse-buying a steering wheel though..

I'm just wondering how much of a burden the CPU is now.. Given the core of my current build has lasted 6 and a half years, if I was to upgrade I'd want to maximise the longevity of it again. Pricing up a 6700K + Mobo + RAM + Ncase M1 (I really have my mind set on that if I rebuild, which then means a new PSU) comes to £840 and, while I could afford that, I'm not sure I can really justify it.

It might pay you to get the new system up and running and get your free windows ten before the free upgrade runs out, BTW a friend :forkbomb: upgraded a pirate version of 7 with no issues.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How is Windows 10 for gaming, btw? I've been on 8.1 and am old enough to not upgrade something just for the sake of it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ijyt posted:

I'm a shitter so I'll recommend a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor because they're just so much fun.

I don't know enough about monitors to get this joke

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

How is Windows 10 for gaming, btw? I've been on 8.1 and am old enough to not upgrade something just for the sake of it.

People mostly complain about driver issues and things with multi-monitor setups that probably stem from driver issues, but those have probably been fixed. Outside of the stripped down update process and hilariously invasive ad platform it's largely a reskin so performance should be identical.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know enough about monitors to get this joke

There's no joke, I just really like 21:9 monitors and I feel bad recommending them because prices are ridiculous.

Sorry to disappoint :shobon:

E: speaking of disappoint, has anyone in the UK heard anything about shipment of 1080s from Scan or OCUK?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hubis posted:

Thinking back, I probably overstated it in my enthusiasm for how awesome and game changing it is. The tech is around the corner, but there's going to be affordability issues still, and it's not straightforward for devs to support (big art issues) so it's probably more a generation away for most people, practically speaking.

I think 144 Hz is awesome, but games have tons of issues with basic fps and stutter that makes me question if it's more valuable than, say, 1440p (which does really feel like a sweet spot right now).

You could get something like the XB271HU and game in 1440p with 144hz and g-sync smoothness even when your fps dips.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
1070 AIBs available (backordered) from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01H0WU884/ (Gigabyte G1 Gaming - $429.99)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01GVNNOSY/ (Zotac Amp! Edition - $449.99)

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Anti-Hero posted:

DirectX 12 is Windows 10 only, so there's that.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

1070 AIBs available (backordered) from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01H0WU884/ (Gigabyte G1 Gaming - $429.99)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01GVNNOSY/ (Zotac Amp! Edition - $449.99)

drat Zotac you're supposed to be cheap.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Jesus, 1070s are in the mid $400s?

How much of a discount are they from the 1080s? Isn't there a pretty significant performance gap?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How much of a discount are they from the 1080s? Isn't there a pretty significant performance gap?

Street price of the 1080s is in the $700s, so mid $400s is quite a bit cheaper.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

MSRP starts at $379, I bet before too long there will be decent AIBs under $400. "Before too long" might be Autumn though...

The 1080 (or any top-end card) is not a "value play" card, and the top-end will never be.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
1080 is about 25% better than the 1070. MSRP is $600 vs $380, so you're paying about 58% more, once supply and prices stabilize. In both cases there'll be a small premium for aftermarket cooling.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The 1080s are going for around $650-$750 for decent ones, 1070s for $420-$480. The performance gap is larger than it was between the 970 and 980 but not all that huge and overclocking brings them a good bit closer together since the GDDR5 on the 1070 OCs very high and the GPU OCs to the same speed as the 1080.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm still hanging onto my mythical $611 amazon g1 1080 preorder

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Guessing it's going to be difficult to get a 1070 for a while, but how does Nvidia go about putting out new cards? They're all sold out at the moment, but is it going to be a thing where a batch gets released and they're all in stock again for a while, or do they produce them steadily and have them trickle out to vendors? My roommate is looking to upgrade from his old 550Ti and I want to know if I should be waiting for some future date when a bunch more will show up or if I should check around periodically to see if different stores have gotten some in.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there an easy way to compare the ballpark performance of older cards and newer ones? I'm assuming not, but I'm trying to figure out how much faster a 480 will be compared to my current dual 760s, and SLI (as usual) complicates poo poo. I'm sure it will be an improvement, I'm just trying to quantify how MUCH of one it will be. (I guess I am a pedant.)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Guessing it's going to be difficult to get a 1070 for a while, but how does Nvidia go about putting out new cards? They're all sold out at the moment, but is it going to be a thing where a batch gets released and they're all in stock again for a while, or do they produce them steadily and have them trickle out to vendors? My roommate is looking to upgrade from his old 550Ti and I want to know if I should be waiting for some future date when a bunch more will show up or if I should check around periodically to see if different stores have gotten some in.

The way it seems to go they get small amounts in all the time, vs large batches. Sometimes it's daily.

Gonkish posted:

Is there an easy way to compare the ballpark performance of older cards and newer ones? I'm assuming not, but I'm trying to figure out how much faster a 480 will be compared to my current dual 760s, and SLI (as usual) complicates poo poo. I'm sure it will be an improvement, I'm just trying to quantify how MUCH of one it will be. (I guess I am a pedant.)

The easiest way would be 3d Mark scores, but your situation gets a little grey when you add SLI to the mix. I highly highly doubt you'll find SLI 760's in benchmarks today which would be the most concrete information of course but 3dmark will get you close enough. Synthetics get a little heat for being inaccurate real world but its close enough and certainly a valid way to compare cards.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 14, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr E posted:

Is Zotac overall a good brand, or did I just get real lucky with my current 970 Amp? I haven't had any coil whine or other issues and the card is very quiet, just wondering if that was normal.

Their US support network is very immature - to make up for it, all of their cards sold in the US have a limited lifetime warranty when you register them. But if Zotac ever decides to pull up stakes in the US, you'll be sending that card to China for RMA support.

Case in point, a few months ago "zotacusa.com" wouldn't resolve, and they were directing you to their Chinese support page translated into English.

EDIT: Evidently they decided to nix the limited lifetime thing, since their own page says:

Graphics Cards

Standard Warranty: 2 years
Extended Warranty: +1 year
Total Warranty: 3 years total

-----

Also, not to be outdone by eVGA, MSI's Golden Edition 980Ti is now $369.99 AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127912

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 14, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The way it seems to go they get small amounts in all the time, vs large batches. Sometimes it's daily.

The easiest way would be 3d Mark scores, but your situation gets a little grey when you add SLI to the mix. I highly highly doubt you'll find SLI 760's in benchmarks today which would be the most concrete information of course but 3dmark will get you close enough. Synthetics get a little heat for being inaccurate real world but its close enough and certainly a valid way to compare cards.

If these are actually run under the same conditions, then the 480 should be very similar to SLI 760.
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/zotac_gtx_760_sli_review,10.html
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-rx-470-3dmark-performance/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
We looked at our D&H today and every card has stock coming in about every 2 weeks. Both newegg and amazon use D&H so that should give you an idea on when poo poo will come available.

Wholesale cost on the ASUS 1070 founders edition with an MSRP of $449.99

is $447.70

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The notorious evga_jacob tweeted that amazon 1080 ftws won't be in until late june

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Wholesale cost on the ASUS 1070 founders edition with an MSRP of $449.99

is $447.70

What the hell

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you ever feel like the small shop is ripping you off cause you can go to amazon or newegg. Look at all that margin

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

According to AMDs own slides the 5960X+RX480 scores 6.3 in the SteamVR benchmark, which can't be right because my puny 2500k+970 scores 7.9 :psyduck:

Also they confirmed Polaris 10 is 36 CUs, so the 480 is indeed the fully unlocked part.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

If you ever feel like the small shop is ripping you off cause you can go to amazon or newegg. Look at all that margin

I like lessons in margins, it tends to calm the crowds lol.

edit: although these margins are a little too razor thin to make sense to me without some relatively significant volume discounts that arent listed here

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 14, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Man, gpus ftw.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, what's to stop me from getting one of the cheap new EVGA 980TIs on Ebay now and then using the EVGA Step-Up program to switch to a 1080 when more are available?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Giovanni0109 posted:

So, what's to stop me from getting one of the cheap new EVGA 980TIs on Ebay now and then using the EVGA Step-Up program to switch to a 1080 when more are available?

If they do not come in stock you will be "stuck" with a 980ti

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks for the new thread title.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Don Lapre posted:

With how things are currently the 90 day(?) window for Step Up seems iffy too. Unless a big shipment of the non-reference cards show up in the next week I'm doubtful the 10 series will be 'in stock' within 90 days.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 14, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

Evil Fluffy posted:

With how things are currently the 90 day(?) window for Step Up seems iffy too. Unless a big shipment of the non-reference cards show up in the next week I'm doubtful the 10 series will be 'in stock' within 90 days.

Pretty sure they will let you queue up for a product and they will just have you send it in when they have stock. I think you're fine as long as you request the step-up before 90 days.

Also, what I've been told is that they maintain a separate stock for Step Up. Their online store stock or retail shipments don't necessarily reflect Step Up availability.

Right now Newegg's main store has MSI Golden Edition 980 Tis for $370 AR. If you don't care about the Step Up, that's an even better deal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 14, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i believe you have to be the original purchaser with an invoice to qualify for step up, as well as have purchased the card from an approved seller. I'm also not sure if I'm misreading people whenever the 90 day thing comes up, but it is only a concern when it comes to being accepted. Once you're in, you're in for a card eventually. From their website (and my step up confirmation email):

quote:

Sometimes, very high demand will necessitate a longer than usual queue, but once you have made your request and you are in queue the 90 day limit no longer applies - you are considered in the Step-Up process.

e:f,b

Tweak fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 14, 2016

Sayara
May 10, 2009

xthetenth posted:

It's looking like a good card at a good price, so I figure they probably want the performance numbers going out as close as possible to people who see them being able to buy them as possible. Hopefully that's true and they have the stock for that to be a concern.

Leaks, 3D Mark and all, but those crossfire tests seem interesting: "Lastly, here’s the highest RX 480 score we have seen so far in CrossFire. In this particular example, RX 480 CF has higher score than stock GTX 1080, 30611 Graphics Score."

If that scaling carries on to games as well, that's quite a performance per dollar, but it most likely doesn't.

Sayara fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 14, 2016

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Once you're in the queue, you're in the queue and the 90 days doesn't matter at all unless for some reason you opt to cancel the step up after the original 90 day window expires. If you do that then you're hosed and can't get back into the program.

As long as you're patient you'll get your card stepped up with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

According to AMDs own slides the 5960X+RX480 scores 6.3 in the SteamVR benchmark, which can't be right because my puny 2500k+970 scores 7.9 :psyduck:

Running at the reference 1050 MHz base/1100something boost clocks?
If you oc'ed it, seems about right. AMD built a 970 and the 8GB model might cost almost the same in Germany as the 970 at launch 2 years ago. Computerbase.de forums are not too happy :smith: