Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
This owns. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Fangz posted:

I think it's a different situation if the character is intended to stand out as odd or different from its background. That's not my perception here.

I think the character reads fine, visually. Me, personally, I'm not into anime moe babes...and think they can quickly represent a lot of problems, which is my concern, but also not a really valid criticism, judging from just the first page.

The one problem I did find was the text. It was small, my eyes missed it the first time, and the prose came off as purple.. but maybe the character enjoys narrating in a wistful drippy way?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Space-Bird posted:

I find the hair color thing really strange, in general. There's almost always a small set of people who immediately go 'but that's not a natural hair color!' ...which I really don't understand. Comic making has a lot to do with simplifying, stylizing and contextualizing things...and if you look at anyone's hair closely they always seem to have a lot of nuance in the hair color..and you can choose to expressively represent that nuance if you want. Anime tends to be more expressionist than impressionist, which leads some people to confuse an expressive art choice with "ANIME!!!aarrghaghahgskg!"

To play devils advocate a bit there's a LOT of cargo cult artistry in the anime genre and weird hair color choice is often a part of that. Blue hair is fine if your character is a punk or you have a very expressive setting/style. However if you're trying to tell a grounded slice of life story about living with cancer it may be a better idea to stick with a more natural palette.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

The reason I set it in the future is so I can have "genetic engineering" as a justification for anime hair/eyes.

EDIT: Yeah, the reason is that I really like the way colored eyelashes look in certain anime styles, I think they're pretty. :shobon:

You don't need a worldbuilding justification for your stylistic choices, you can just make them and let your story's world accept them as reality.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

readingatwork posted:

To play devils advocate a bit there's a LOT of cargo cult artistry in the anime genre and weird hair color choice is often a part of that. Blue hair is fine if your character is a punk or you have a very expressive setting/style. However if you're trying to tell a grounded slice of life story about living with cancer it may be a better idea to stick with a more natural palette.

if your visual or narrative tone are unintentionally clashing in a way that is confusing the reader that's a problem... but I don't feel like saying something like "use a more 'natural' palette to express cancer" is some sort of rule. There's no reason to associate natural with cancer unless that is a theme you are choosing to tackle in your narrative or whatever.

But some people seem to be really upset other people may have once enjoyed a Japanimation because it's so 'uncool' in certain grumpy crowds of people who don't really do much art anyway, and yeah blindly copying something without understanding it isn't the best way to do a thing..but that's doesn't equate to all anime influence ever. Lots of comics are made in japan, and it's ridiculous to dismiss that because of a few vocal grumpy nerds.

Reiley posted:

You don't need a worldbuilding justification for your stylistic choices, you can just make them and let your story's world accept them as reality.

It'd be really weird if Sailor Moon went into a deep background lore expositions about why everyone on earth has such big eyes and long legs.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 8, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Reiley posted:

Haha, I was being facetious and making a stealth ironic post! :shobon:

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

readingatwork posted:

No no you are missing the key point. Artists in Japan use unnatural hair and blah blah blah because they think it's cute.

It just so happens there are six thousand books about 萌え to tell you what is cute in case you didn't know, but, definitely do not accuse anyone of cargo cult artistry because even when you are Hayao Miyazaki, nobody ever gives a gently caress or changes anything.

(With that said, the anime industry has actually had a few breakups into smaller companies recently and there are more art styles making it into anime.)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I just want to throw it out there but blue hair is actually a high-saturation substitute for black hair that better maintains bright color palettes and doesn't suck the color out of everything around it, or is less expensive to use if you're possibly talking about the black-ink-on-cels era of animation.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Your first page is important so i can see why you'd want to redraw and improve it based on critique, but I'd leave it for now and apply those lessons to the next page. Move forward, if you really feel like it needs to be improved remember you'll be in much better shape to do so thirty pages down the line.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Reiley posted:

I just want to throw it out there but blue hair is actually a high-saturation substitute for black hair that better maintains bright color palettes and doesn't suck the color out of everything around it, or is less expensive to use if you're possibly talking about the black-ink-on-cels era of animation.

and also comics are pretend and your main character can have blue hair if you like it and think that it's cool. that's just as valid a reason as any

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

a bloody icon posted:

and also comics are pretend and your main character can have blue hair if you like it and think that it's cool. that's just as valid a reason as any

I'm going to fight you on this one because it's an attitude a lot of artists have and it annoys the crap out of me.

Yes, you can do whatever you want in art but you're far more likely to make successful aesthetic decisions if you think them through and try to make your small choices work with your larger ones. That's not to say there's no room for weirdness or experimentation, but it should be intentional. Just doing whatever is a recipe for weird tonal dissonance at best (think "moe girls in Auchwitz") or a boring muddled mess at worst.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

readingatwork posted:

I'm going to fight you on this one because it's an attitude a lot of artists have and it annoys the crap out of me.

Yes, you can do whatever you want in art but you're far more likely to make successful aesthetic decisions if you think them through and try to make your small choices work with your larger ones. That's not to say there's no room for weirdness or experimentation, but it should be intentional. Just doing whatever is a recipe for weird tonal dissonance at best (think "moe girls in Auchwitz") or a boring muddled mess at worst.

You try to clink the shackles of intellectual drudgery around the wrists of Creativity, but it is a small bird and it will fly out of the cuffs that are too big for it and ascend to the sky in a plume of turquoise feathers because the will of the human soul to express itself is immutable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Talking mice in Auschwitz worked so I don't see how moe girls in Auschwitz is farfetched.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

readingatwork posted:

Dude what are you even trying to say here?

Here is how it reads to me:

"I really find it displeasing when people color hair in a way I arbitrarily feel aesthetically unappealing, therefore I will deploy any argument, no matter how intellectually disingenuous, to convince people to stop doing this"

Why? Why do you care? Why do you think you need to police hair color in comics?

Why don't you go make a comic about people with what you deem to be the most aesthetically appealing hair colors... and do it in such a fantastic way it inspires other artists to do it. This is about making comics isn't it?

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 9, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

For background, my comic is in fact, intended to be a bubbly slice of life comic in a distant post-scarcity future; it's Star Trek with moe girls.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Space-Bird posted:

Why? Why do you care? Why do you think you need to police hair color in comics?

Why don't you go make a comic about people with what you deem to be the most aesthetically appealing hair colors... and do it in such a fantastic way it inspires other artists to do it. This is about making comics isn't it?

Not to defend readingatwork's particular viewpoint because it's not really something I have much of an opinion on, but this is a message board where opinions are shared. Sunshine doesn't have to follow his advice if he/she doesn't want to, and everyone's allowed to have opinions on certain things in comics without being told "just make your own then if that's all you ever want to see." Otherwise everyone who's ever been displeased with food that was served to them in a restaurant should just stay home and cook for themselves all the time, you know?

A few posts in a thread on making webcomics hardly counts as policing IMO. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and silly little quirky things that seemingly irrationally put us off reading a comic.

I do agree with readingatwork's idea that decisions in art *should* be intentional as opposed to just on whims, but also realize that whims drive us to create so that "rule" doesn't always get followed. It's still a good suggestion and thing to strive for*. Being thoughtful about why you include certain things in your art is, in general**, a good thing.

* and **- I put qualifiers in that sentence so people hopefully know i'm not saying "You need to get a PhD in any topic you want to write or draw about or else you are bad and your work is bad!!!" but figure I'd put this clause here anyway.

I think readingatwork is just throwing in a devil's advocate sort of point here and not trying to discourage DrSunshine from making his/her comic, which is kind of the tone I'm sensing here. I could be wrong on either point but, I dunno, I think it's a good thing to just get that other point of view now and then. That's what makes art cool.

edit: Just to expand and hopefully clarify the point I am trying to make. I know there've been plenty of times when I've been asked "Why do you draw [element] like [way]" or "Why does [character] have [stylistic element]." Of course, the answer is quite often "Because I like drawing it that way/think it looks cool." But that doesn't mean it's not a useful question to ask. And it's one of those things where if you find a lot of people asking you something like that, well, maybe you *do* need to take a closer look to evaluate it. Maybe not, again, it's not required that you give a poo poo, lol. Just sometimes it takes somebody asking those kinds of questions to get you to realize something yourself.

Like I got a criticism in one of these threads a while ago commenting I always did close-up zoomed-in panels. I didn't even realize I was doing it, I just defaulted ot it because I liked drawing faces and it minimized the amount of "boring other stuff" I had to include. But it was a criticism that prompted me to take another look at my art and decide to change it in a way that ultimately made it better. Not saying that "zoomed in panels" is equivalent stylistically to "pastel eyelashes*" or anything but just offering my experience with it.

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 10, 2016

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

sweeperbravo posted:

Not to defend readingatwork's particular viewpoint because it's not really something I have much of an opinion on, but this is a message board where opinions are shared. Sunshine doesn't have to follow his advice if he/she doesn't want to, and everyone's allowed to have opinions on certain things in comics without being told "just make your own then if that's all you ever want to see." Otherwise everyone who's ever been displeased with food that was served to them in a restaurant should just stay home and cook for themselves all the time, you know?

A few posts in a thread on making webcomics hardly counts as policing IMO. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and silly little quirky things that seemingly irrationally put us off reading a comic.

I do agree with readingatwork's idea that decisions in art *should* be intentional as opposed to just on whims, but also realize that whims drive us to create so that "rule" doesn't always get followed. It's still a good suggestion and thing to strive for*. Being thoughtful about why you include certain things in your art is, in general**, a good thing.

* and **- I put qualifiers in that sentence so people hopefully know i'm not saying "You need to get a PhD in any topic you want to write or draw about or else you are bad and your work is bad!!!" but figure I'd put this clause here anyway.

I think readingatwork is just throwing in a devil's advocate sort of point here and not trying to discourage DrSunshine from making his/her comic, which is kind of the tone I'm sensing here. I could be wrong on either point but, I dunno, I think it's a good thing to just get that other point of view now and then. That's what makes art cool.

edit: Just to expand and hopefully clarify the point I am trying to make. I know there've been plenty of times when I've been asked "Why do you draw [element] like [way]" or "Why does [character] have [stylistic element]." Of course, the answer is quite often "Because I like drawing it that way/think it looks cool." But that doesn't mean it's not a useful question to ask. And it's one of those things where if you find a lot of people asking you something like that, well, maybe you *do* need to take a closer look to evaluate it. Maybe not, again, it's not required that you give a poo poo, lol. Just sometimes it takes somebody asking those kinds of questions to get you to realize something yourself.

Like I got a criticism in one of these threads a while ago commenting I always did close-up zoomed-in panels. I didn't even realize I was doing it, I just defaulted ot it because I liked drawing faces and it minimized the amount of "boring other stuff" I had to include. But it was a criticism that prompted me to take another look at my art and decide to change it in a way that ultimately made it better. Not saying that "zoomed in panels" is equivalent stylistically to "pastel eyelashes*" or anything but just offering my experience with it.

There's a big difference between asking a person why they're choosing to make an aesthetic choice, and advising people not to based on your own preference, and I guess that's what bugs me about it. Yes, any story is a relationship between the creator and the reader, and many readers will hold biases like 'i hate moe poo poo' for example. In fact, I don't like moe much at all... but to me that's very different than giving a good critique or good advice.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I think the bigger issue is that those eyelashes are drawn bigger and bushier than the eyebrows. Make 'em whatever color you want, but you might want to reconsider how you are drawing them because they really don't look anything like eyelashes right now.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

gmc9987 posted:

I think the bigger issue is that those eyelashes are drawn bigger and bushier than the eyebrows. Make 'em whatever color you want, but you might want to reconsider how you are drawing them because they really don't look anything like eyelashes right now.

Yeah I realized that they remind me of frosting

Space-Bird posted:

There's a big difference between asking a person why they're choosing to make an aesthetic choice, and advising people not to based on your own preference, and I guess that's what bugs me about it. Yes, any story is a relationship between the creator and the reader, and many readers will hold biases like 'i hate moe poo poo' for example. In fact, I don't like moe much at all... but to me that's very different than giving a good critique or good advice.

I just went back to reread the whole exchange starting with DrSunshin's post, and I actually didn't see anyone advising based on preference for the most part. One person asked about the eyelashes, a few people mentioned whether they liked it or not, but I didn't see any of the people who didn't like it actually telling DS to change it. Then there was the side conversation about choosing an art style that supports your tone, which also did not directly tell DS to make changes based on other people's likes/dislikes. You could argue I guess that that meaning is implied in the post, but I don't interpret those posts as calling for change, just expressing opinion.

It's possible I missed something, but I think in this case you might be addressing intents in posts that I don't think were really there. I appreciate you stepping in to support DS because it's intimidating to ask for critique and it's good when you know someone has your back, I just think you're reading something else into this particular exchange.

One last note and then I'll let this drop if you'd like- You mention "advising people [to do or not do something] based on your own preferences." Unfortunately that's something that's going to come up a lot when people ask for critique online, you're going to get people saying "I don't like that part, I would do this that way, etc etc" and not every criticism you receive is going to be valid. As much as it would be really cool if everyone providing critique learned how to give useful critique, it's also important to us as creators to learn how to discern what's useful and what's not, and the degree of value. This includes how to tell whether a person is speaking from personal taste or whether they have a broader point that applies. The most important takeaway is not to rush and change a comic or aspects of it the minute people on the internet tell you to. When you ask for feedback, you have to anticipate that some of it (perhaps even most of it) is going to be either too "personal taste" oriented or just garbage for some other reason.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

gmc9987 posted:

Okay, that's fair enough. I'll probably streamline them a bit.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

sweeperbravo posted:

One last note and then I'll let this drop if you'd like- You mention "advising people [to do or not do something] based on your own preferences." Unfortunately that's something that's going to come up a lot when people ask for critique online, you're going to get people saying "I don't like that part, I would do this that way, etc etc" and not every criticism you receive is going to be valid.

People should just draw what they want. But what they often want is other peoples acceptance. Critique is only really valid from that perspective, and its far more valuable to just do these two things:

Learn to be super self critical, and how to let go when you've done what you can.

Learn from other art, but only after you have learned how to draw as you.

Most great artists in human history went ignored and undiscovered, largely, during their lifetime. People are more connected now, but expecting anything different blurs the line between vanity and artistry.

Even "bad" artists who enjoy what they do are occasionally appreciated on that merit, so you may as well focus on getting to that point. Everything else will fall into line after that point, one way or another.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ E: To further be a contrarian rear end I'd argue that most art is at it's core about communication in one way or another. Art carries messages, even if they aren't intentional or are as simple as "these oranges look really good in this lighting". You CAN just make art for yourself if that's what you want, but in most cases you'll want to pay at least some mind to how your work is perceived by others. This is why outside critique is so valuable since it teaches you which artistic decisions communicate well and which don't.

That's not to say that only popular work has value or that you should always try to be liked (quite the opposite actually). I'm just saying that "make art only for yourself" may not always be the best advice.

sweeperbravo posted:

Yeah I should have specified that I was speaking broadly and not really singling out DrS. Sorry about that.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 10, 2016

windex
Aug 2, 2006

readingatwork posted:

^^^ E: To further be a contrarian rear end I'd argue that most art is at it's core about communication in one way or another. Art carries messages, even if they aren't intentional or are as simple as "these oranges look really good in this lighting". You CAN just make art for yourself if that's what you want, but in most cases you'll want to pay at least some mind to how your work is perceived by others. This is why outside critique is so valuable since it teaches you which artistic decisions communicate well and which don't.

That's not to say that only popular work has value or that you should always try to be liked (quite the opposite actually). I'm just saying that "make art only for yourself" may not always be the best advice.

My point is more that you need a baseline you can get to and be happy with before popularity has value, and relatedly, critique. If you can't get to a baseline that makes you happy, how are you going to fare against John Q. Public?

(This is a position I've taken after watching a lot of people spend a lot of time learning how to draw X, while not learning how to draw.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've redrawn that offending closeup. I'll work on photoshopping and coloring this in pretty soon!

EDIT:

I'd like to say that I'm really thankful for all the helpful critiques so far, and that this line of discussion is interesting and informative to read! Thank you!

Additionally, here's a group shot I'm thinking of using as a cover or a piece of bonus art or something down the line.

EDIT2:

And there we go! Thoughts?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 12, 2016

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

DrSunshine posted:

Make a second page!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

DrSunshine posted:

Eyelashes read way better on this one. Good job.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011
Hey guys!! You were all so supportive of my first series I thought I'd share with you the sequel. Basically it's just more stories about my toxic first relationship, except it's not exclusively about times he cried.

http://imgur.com/a/7x5PD

I'm really considering publishing this series and the first together in a lil square booklet, but I'm not sure where to start! Perhaps you all can point me in the right directions. I may just self print little zines!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm really glad that last comic ended with you on your own, good work on getting out and turning such a stupid assface of a person into something entertaining.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Retro Ghost posted:

Hey guys!! You were all so supportive of my first series I thought I'd share with you the sequel. Basically it's just more stories about my toxic first relationship, except it's not exclusively about times he cried.

I'm really considering publishing this series and the first together in a lil square booklet, but I'm not sure where to start! Perhaps you all can point me in the right directions. I may just self print little zines!

These are still great. Well done.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Retro Ghost posted:

hooo ly poo poo that comic

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Retro Ghost posted:

I uh

wh

huh

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Retro Ghost posted:

These are as heartbreaking as they are fantastic. You should definitely print them and sell 'em at cons. If you released them piecemeal on tumblr, you would soon be a queen of reblogs.

What part of the book printing process do you need help with? If you're based in Canada, I can suggest some printers, but others here may be more familiar with the american or international scene.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Retro you didn't break up with him, did you? Where will you get more material??

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011

FlyinPingu posted:

I uh

wh

huh

I've wondered for YEARS where he got that information... He claimed he has a trans friend (who I never met) that told him but I'm not all that convinced.

Squidster posted:

These are as heartbreaking as they are fantastic. You should definitely print them and sell 'em at cons. If you released them piecemeal on tumblr, you would soon be a queen of reblogs.

What part of the book printing process do you need help with? If you're based in Canada, I can suggest some printers, but others here may be more familiar with the american or international scene.

I live in wild and free midwest America. I guess I just don't even know when to start!

frozenpussy posted:

Retro you didn't break up with him, did you? Where will you get more material??

Based on my research, there are a surplus of fuckboys for me to encounter, so do not fear!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Do you look for PUA types or do the mommy issue havers find you

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
If you want help setting up your stuff for print, I will volunteer for this project. Please PM me or email me at sa.neonnoodle@gmail.com if you're interested.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

I uh

wh

huh

What the christ

Thats not even remotely what a tea party is

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The good news is books have never been easier to make. If you’re good with Photoshop, you can certainly figure it out. Here’s the basic steps:

1) Choose your format
The bigger the book, the more expensive it is to print - a lot of small-format places won’t do things that are 6" x 9" or larger. I recommend just printing out physical copies of your artwork until you have a size you like! You’ll probably end up with something around 5” x 5” or so.

2) Build your book
You’ll need a buncha hi-res assets, 300 dpi or higher CYMK, and a copy of Adobe InDesign. If you’re not already familiar, it’s pretty similar to most Adobe products, so it’s not a hard thing to pick up.

It looks like your comics won’t be full-bleed ( i.e: out beyond the edge of the page ), so that simplifies things. Make sure there’s a .3” or more margin between the edge of your paper and your content. Margins are super important!

In InDesign, all you need to do is create a new project with facing pages, create an empty Rectangle Frame where your content should be, and use File -> Place to drop your images into each page. Copy+paste is your friend! For your first book, nothing has to be perfect. Don’t worry about templates, masters or styles just yet, as none of that stuff is super essential at this stage.

Once done, you’ll export everything as a PDF to give to the printer, and they’ll take things from there. Book covers are normally a separate file, with a single wraparound image for back cover, spine, and front cover. How do you know how thick the spine is? Well, the printer will tell you!

3) Choose a printer
Google ‘my location book printing.’ and find some local folks, or someone else on here may recommend another company. Any printer that can print books can print comics, so don't bother looking for someone who specializes in it.

Paper stocks are measured in pounds, and you’ll want a 50-70lb white paper for the internal pages in your book. Heavier feels nicer! Coated glossy or matte is nice, but tends to get expensive quickly.

Covers are measured in points, and you’ll want a 9-12pt cover. Higher is thicker and nicer! You can always ask for paper and cover samples, and most places will send you a sample book.

They’ll charge you slightly more for colour printing, but your comics need it. Full-bleed can also cost extra, but I think you probably don't need that.

For binding, most comics are either perfect-bound ( like a trade paperback ), or stapled ( like a weekly floppy ). If your book is less than 100 pages, you’ll probably want stapled.

The more books you print, the cheaper each one is, but you’ll probably want between 50-200 for your first book. Expect to pay between $3-6 a book.

Talk to them about getting proofs. Some printers won’t do a bound proof copy, and will only send you single sheets ( a wet proof ). Most will charge extra for proofs.

Most printers will take between 2-6 weeks to get your printed books to you once you order them.

4) Profit!
Take that poo poo to cons and sell it for 2.5 x the production cost!

Squidster fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 15, 2016

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Also if you didn't think ahead and decide you want to print a webcomic which was not originally drawn at a high enough dpi, there are some ways to approach fixing it. One useful tool is the unfortunately-named Waifu2x. The results will vary depending on your style, but cartoons tend to do much better than they would with a naive upscaling algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The Live Trace tool in Illustrator is good for upsizing images while maintaining sharp edges. It vectorizes the image and you can scale it indefinitely. Save the vectorized version as PDF and you won't have to worry about the printing company making any judgement calls with rescaling.