Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Orange Red Bull posted:

It would be like ribchat everyday :unsmith:

Now that I live in the land of freedom I have tasted of the fruit meat and it is Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
i miss dallas for the bbq :sigh:

best i ever had was at central in memphis though, partially because it was the best pulled pork ive ever had in my life, partially because there was a blues band playing on the patio and it was like 72 degrees and breezy out

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Just reactivated my accounts, have not played for 2-3 years. Thought with my summer holidays coming up I might lock myself in a darkened room with internet spaceships again.

So all my stuff is in the middle of 0.0 from a deployment with CFC years ago and I am just packing up things and trying to catch up on game changes. I caught that CCP will not move your jump-able crap out of 0.0 anymore so I am going to have to move it myself. Currently packing up my stuff into an Archon, Anshar and a Moros but not undocking anything to move before I am sure i'm not getting a surprise so have some questions if you guys don't mind.

The changes to jump mechanics had just come in/were coming in before I left with respect to fatigue so I can work that out, but there have been significant changes to carrier and dreads since. Is there anything I really need to know about before I plan a route and move my crap.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

DoctorOozy posted:

The changes to jump mechanics had just come in/were coming in before I left with respect to fatigue so I can work that out, but there have been significant changes to carrier and dreads since. Is there anything I really need to know about before I plan a route and move my crap.

Yes.

Your old fit sucks, and will get you killed.

Max range is 5ly now (:ccp:)

Fighters are an entirely different gameplay experience.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

DoctorOozy posted:

Just reactivated my accounts, have not played for 2-3 years. Thought with my summer holidays coming up I might lock myself in a darkened room with internet spaceships again.

So all my stuff is in the middle of 0.0 from a deployment with CFC years ago and I am just packing up things and trying to catch up on game changes. I caught that CCP will not move your jump-able crap out of 0.0 anymore so I am going to have to move it myself. Currently packing up my stuff into an Archon, Anshar and a Moros but not undocking anything to move before I am sure i'm not getting a surprise so have some questions if you guys don't mind.

It sounds like a group of ships we could move through a capital wormhole very simply. It would only involve a lot of waiting for the right one to show up, either in your system or within one jump of your system. If you are in alliance and on goonfleet services I will explain the lurking process and get you moved. rain6637@goonfleet.com on jabber

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
PS dreads have the same ship maintenance bays as carriers now (1,000,000 m3) :dance:

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Xolve posted:

Max range is 5ly now (:ccp:)

yea.. plotting a route is gonna be fun

frozenpussy posted:

It sounds like a group of ships we could move through a capital wormhole very simply. It would only involve a lot of waiting for the right one to show up, either in your system or within one jump of your system. If you are in alliance and on goonfleet services I will explain the lurking process and get you moved. rain6637@goonfleet.com on jabber

I think about 50% of what you said made sense, seems I have some serious catching up to do.

frozenpussy posted:

PS dreads have the same ship maintenance bays as carriers now (1,000,000 m3) :dance:

:dance: was pretty much my reaction when I found that just as I was about to repackage 2 BSs.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

DoctorOozy posted:

I think about 50% of what you said made sense, seems I have some serious catching up to do.

you can take gates too

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

DoctorOozy posted:

:dance: was pretty much my reaction when I found that just as I was about to repackage 2 BSs.

We can fit three capitals through a wormhole at one time, which means if we find the right wormhole you can be moved very easily. Depends where you're at, we should probably chat privately.

I see you are a platinum user. I apologize, I don't maintain platinum account status very long so I don't bother. Waiting for you to be on goonfleet jabber is a way to ensure you're a friendly anyway.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

frozenpussy posted:

I see you are a platinum user. I apologize, I don't maintain platinum account status very long so I don't bother. Waiting for you to be on goonfleet jabber is a way to ensure you're a friendly anyway.

Yea understood. Now I know my accounts are sorted and I have stock of where I am i'll get on with sorting comms and my application. I thought it would be a case of log in/pack up/ move Cyno alts and get to lowsec. However; 5ly jumps,.. holy poo poo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have just surpassed 4 million skill points and the remaining things in my queue are going to take 61 days! Gosh!
However, I am on chapter 3 of my cool little writing thing that I am doing about my time in EVE :)

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

ullerrm posted:

Eh, I think I'd have to respectfully disagree. I believe that what we're really talking about is: What is required to recruit and retain good PvPers? Some things I've noticed:

* It's not entirely clear to me if it's useful to artificially segregate PvE-minded and PvP-minded people. Ideally, you want a bit of both, but most players straddle the two to a certain amount. I'm predominantly a PvPer, but I also run a T2 ship production business, because I need iskies for my toonies so that I can do some welpsies. I think that the ideal lies in recruiting people who aren't assholes -- or, at least, people who don't go rear end in a top hat mode unprompted -- and making sure that they have company no matter what type of content they want to dip their foot in. Some days I want to hang out with Reavers and shoot poo poo while I murder NCDOT CDs on the Saranen undock; some days, I want to hang out with gs_isk and shoot poo poo while queuing up a ton of research jobs.

* Killboards are, ironically, not that useful at recruitment time for distinguishing between a carebear and a PvPer. Your average Thetan, for example, will have plenty of kills on a killboard, and some of them might even appear to be solo kills. But given a choice, they'd rather rat. If you're in the business of finding people who would rather murder, given a choice, that's something that's best found out through a trial, rather than statistics. (It also gives you the ability to get a picture of what they consider to be parts of PvP. Some people only think of PvP as F1-F8. Some people like the side tasks like logi and probing.)

* Unless you're a soloer, kbstats don't paint a very good picture. And, ironically, soloers tend to have the worst kb stats, because they welp into fights that no sane person should take.

I think the biggest contributor to recruiting PvPers today is word of mouth, both at an alliance level and at a small group level. I go where my friends are happy (or were happy).

Yeah, you're right. There is no need to differentiate between people who exclusively pvp and those who do both. I've only dealt with recruitment in wormholes where people who don't spend a decent amount of time pvping are detrimental to the group and all members are expected to help out with chores if they are able. This does lead to dumb things like people ratting only on alts to pretend they are 100% hardcore pvpers. I've also seen someone come by with 10 year old characters, the full set of cap + supercap bpos, several jump freighters, experience in fcing (mining ops), corp leadership (of a mining corp) and literally no experience in pvp as the aggressor. He was not considered.

The things I looked for on killboards were like 100 lifetime kills to show a desire to pvp and no recent bouts of inactivity. Being able to keep yourself entertained by doing solo pvp (no matter how bad), or being a hunter (identifiable as being the interceptor or sabre on a 2-10 man kill in null) were a plus. Multiple expensive ratting losses in low and hisec, where you can only lose them due to your own stupidity, were bad. Bought mains and corp hoppers were red flags for obvious reasons This was all assuming they didn't have a vouch.

Even going over people's killboards, apis, the character bazaar and doing an interview plenty turn out to be useless 1 week after being accepted. I've also seen people who look like you're average karmafleet alt turn into really good assets before they reach 10m sp. Pubbie recruitment is hard. Trials might be the way to go but I personally never like the idea of treating people on your team as second class citizens.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Look at my killboard and tell me if you think I'm good at PvP.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I have just surpassed 4 million skill points and the remaining things in my queue are going to take 61 days! Gosh!
However, I am on chapter 3 of my cool little writing thing that I am doing about my time in EVE :)

Only 4 million?

I have twice that and I have no idea how. Just how much time did I invest into this game? :shepface:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

They grow up so fast :shobon:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
z

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

killboards are dumb metrics that don't take into account logi, scouting, pvp, pve, or solo.

battlereports are cool and let you know if you traded losses, owned, or won but don't factor into whether you won the strategic objective and if that was worth it

killboards are great for seeing if someone is an actual retard like screamingllama or bovril

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Look at my killboard and tell me if you think I'm good at PvP.

Look at this scrub... dies every time he gets a kill.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Bloody Pom posted:

Only 4 million?

I have twice that and I have no idea how. Just how much time did I invest into this game? :shepface:

I have close to 9.3 million SP, and that's liable to go up if my job interview proves successful. First big paycheck I'll crash the loving PLEX market.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Z

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

AAPsel posted:

recruitment stuff

Make them do an MS paint as part of their application. I really, really, really wish it wasn't so, but its almost like a Rorschach blot test. Almost every shitlorde Clay Hakaari turbo krabber or other problem child that flames out/gets trolled or turfed out of hole squad has an MS paint that may as well have been a .jpeg of a big red flag. I swear it must be confirmation bias after the fact, but the consistency is uncanny.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Xolve posted:

I too am very concerned about the opinions of my alliance offered by people outside of my alliance.

Is that why you daily post in a thread that has basically nothing to do with you with your worthless opinions about the alliance of which the thread is for and defending your alliance? The nya nya i dont care defense is pretty worthless when you so clearly care and demonstrate it within any given 24 hour period over the last several years.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

Make them do an MS paint as part of their application. I really, really, really wish it wasn't so, but its almost like a Rorschach blot test. Almost every shitlorde Clay Hakaari turbo krabber or other problem child that flames out/gets trolled or turfed out of hole squad has an MS paint that may as well have been a .jpeg of a big red flag. I swear it must be confirmation bias after the fact, but the consistency is uncanny.

what about people who never even made it into the hole (hiyo mlm sex life) because my mspaint was exceedingly bad

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Carth Dookie posted:

hole squad requires MSPaints?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Syndic Thrass posted:

what about people who never even made it into the hole (hiyo mlm sex life) because my mspaint was exceedingly bad

I've never rejected someone purely because their mspaint was bad. I don't recall your specific application so I can't tell you if you were actually rejected for other reasons or what.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Probably the best thing we stole from groon because they let us keep it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

frozenpussy posted:

hole squad requires MSPaints?

Yes. It started as an idea from our Groon members as a neat way to bump the recruitment thread and test people's basic literacy skills of the recruitment OP and to filter out those who apply to every squad without actually finding out what hole squad is (and who don't actually want to be in the squad anyway). Unofficially, its also a very small hurdle to jump to measure effort. An MS paint doesn't have to be artistically good or anything, but actually bothering to do it at all and maybe putting 30 seconds of thought into it to try to make it funny or clever might indicate you'd be an ok fit for the squad. Effort is necessary to survival in a small wormhole corp. A bit of effort beyond what years of GSF members have gotten used to. That, and posting. Slightly higher than average effort and posting are the core of the squad.

That and if you spend all your time turbo krabbing and not helping out with scanning or hauling or other hole chores and we don't see you on jabber or comms or in fleet then you gunna get canned.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

pseudanonymous posted:

Is that why you daily post in a thread that has basically nothing to do with you with your worthless opinions about the alliance of which the thread is for and defending your alliance? The nya nya i dont care defense is pretty worthless when you so clearly care and demonstrate it within any given 24 hour period over the last several years.

Which alliance(s) is this thread for again? Please remind me.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Xolve posted:

Which alliance(s) is this thread for again? Please remind me.

It's the thread for deciding who has the worst alliance, the dumbest leaders, the wrongest opinions, and the best meat.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes. It started as an idea from our Groon members as a neat way to bump the recruitment thread and test people's basic literacy skills of the recruitment OP and to filter out those who apply to every squad without actually finding out what hole squad is (and who don't actually want to be in the squad anyway). Unofficially, its also a very small hurdle to jump to measure effort. An MS paint doesn't have to be artistically good or anything, but actually bothering to do it at all and maybe putting 30 seconds of thought into it to try to make it funny or clever might indicate you'd be an ok fit for the squad. Effort is necessary to survival in a small wormhole corp. A bit of effort beyond what years of GSF members have gotten used to. That, and posting. Slightly higher than average effort and posting are the core of the squad.

That and if you spend all your time turbo krabbing and not helping out with scanning or hauling or other hole chores and we don't see you on jabber or comms or in fleet then you gunna get canned.

I want to move my main into HS so bad. Wormhole life is the life for me.

Also I have an intense desire to be on that real poo poo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Look at this scrub... dies every time he gets a kill.

Smdh, at least four of those kills have no associated killmail.

Edit: case in point, I have a couple thousand kills, 4t in killmails and I'm turrrrrible at pvp (that isn't elite highsec pvp). M

Double edit: and my API isn't even on zkill. Highsec is the endgame.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 15, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

silentsnack posted:

It's the thread for deciding who has the worst alliance, the dumbest leaders, the wrongest opinions, and the best meat.

What if they're all the worst alliance, all the leaders are pretty dumb, most opinions are wrong because they are too often projected as fact, and boiled ribs are still loving gross?

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Double edit: and my API isn't even on zkill. Highsec is the endgame.

Hello fellow z-kill warrior.

pseudanonymous posted:

The nya nya i dont care defense is pretty worthless when you so clearly care and demonstrate it within any given 24 hour period over the last several years.

If care is measured in hour and a half long twitch streams, how many cares do I have?

Xolve fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 15, 2016

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes. If I ever have to deal with recruitment again I will certainly do that.

In return you can have a story about the dumbest person I've ever been blue to. After losing his poo poo in Futre Methods (garr khan's scam corp) he needed another wormhole corp to rat in. Not interested in using advanced techniques such as d-scan or scout alts, his plan was to simply spend enough hours ratting to replace his losses. This lead to things such as him following my anathema in a snake to rat in a new hole before I scanned all the sigs. Of course his replacemnt ships had to be flown in and that wasn't that easy.

It started out with a billion isk tengu in Rancer. No matter what we told him he was convinced it would have been perfectly safe if not for the rats. On our advice he somewhat attempted to make a travel fit for his next ratting ship, but that one too died before generating a single isk. Two weeks later he had already forgotten that lesson and lost another no prop ratting snake in lowsec.

He eventually just gave up on farming sleepers for money and decided ninja ratting in nullsec anoms was a better idea. One day our static had a nullsec exit to the absolute worst eve alliance: MATOU. Three times we went out that hole and tackled a ratting carrier. Three times we dpsed it down with 10 dudes while the 30 MATOU in local did gently caress all. The entire time our wunderkind was ratting in his snake in the system next door. He had found a bugged anom that had given him 19 waves and refused to leave it behind. That snake died within a week as well.

At that point he started selling doctrine ships and begging in corp chat to cover his ratting losses. A director then told him to rebuy his doctrine ships or get kicked, which led to the obligatory 600m t1 industrial in hisec loss. Followed shortly after by another 600m bestower. That one is extra special, because instead of flying a cloaky stratios in directly, he put it in a slow, paper thin ship then died to a solo HAC without so much as a bubble around.

My favorite loss was when he shouted on coms that he had tackled a Sin and needed help killing it. That was followed 10 seconds later by: "I'm dead." It turned out he used those 600m stratioses to do lowsec relic sites and got dropped on. The story ends when he lost another stratios trying to fight a 6 man frigate and destroyer gang contesting his relic site. He managed to kill a single t1 destroyer and then quit the game. All together this lasted less than 2 months.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I promise you I've got better dumb blue stories. Nearly all of them involve someone screaming "I'm Bloooooooooooo" in local right as the Talos start firing.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

I've never rejected someone purely because their mspaint was bad. I don't recall your specific application so I can't tell you if you were actually rejected for other reasons or what.

Oh no I was accepted it was just a really bad ms paint, it was when vyst was limiting sig sizes and something to the effect of vyst=Hitler. I was booted later because dod knew I'd never even gotten into the hole. When I wanna play again, seriously, though I have the man's to actually chill with yall and hopefully be less of a jew than Clay. Fwiw I used my temporary hs_secure jabber and mumble access to antagonize the poo poo out of that rear end in a top hat. I'll be back, one day. Mark my words

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

why the gently caress is there a banner linking to the goonwaffe thread that got closed in april

it said some rp pubby poo poo like "your services are required former goonwaffe officer"

is there a war on or what, i'm not reading 600 pages of eve threads

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

why the gently caress is there a banner linking to the goonwaffe thread that got closed in april

it said some rp pubby poo poo like "your services are required former goonwaffe officer"

is there a war on or what, i'm not reading 600 pages of eve threads

War's over, friend.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Xolve posted:

War's over, friend.

mission accomplished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Xolve posted:

War's over, friend.

It's been ~50 days. You think you've ended a war that's been going on for five years?

• Locked thread