Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Chuck Boone posted:

If Maduro were at all concerned about maintaining the facade that his government is a democratic one, he'd say something like, "I don't know, it's looking tight, the referendum may take place this year or next - but that's up to the CNE to decide".

It's because he's transitioned to personality cult mode. He can't say that because it gives off the impression he doesn't hold absolute power and that just isn't acceptable in a dictatorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Everywhere where there isn't any cameras or internet the GNB react like that. From the information I have, poo poo's really bad in the deeper parts of the country.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
There really will be a nationwide transportation strike tomorrow but remember that the metro and all that poo poo is government owned and there's no way those workers are going on strike or they'll get fired.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

We must break the strike to save the Revolution!

fnox
May 19, 2013

Escape From Venezuela news: I managed to secure at least some form of monthly income, $500 a month from the company I'm currently working with, with the possibility of increasing to up to $1000 after September. That's barely enough to get by but it'll do for now, I can complement it with some freelance work.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I know someone who got offered $1500 a month by her current company here to work in the US and she refused, I mean gently caress $1500 isn't a whole lot but if you're being offered a legal chance to get out of this hellhole and you're going with a secure job loving take it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
1500 is tough but doable, if you have a roommate in an undesirable part of town, have some sort of shared car pool, and thrift shop.

It is better than food riots at any rate.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Kurtofan posted:

striking for what reasons?

German Duarte, the head of the Federacion de Transporte de Venezuela has said that the reason for the strike is "the country is way messed up". This is what he told the media:

quote:

Victims [of crime?] as well as transport drivers have taken the decision to carry out a national stoppage. [It will happen in 18 states] and they all have orders to unite with the goal of having the country hear this plea from transport drivers in the country, [which mirrors] that of the Venezuelan people and the deep social, economic and political crisis.
El Nacional has a list of the states which will apparently see the public transport strike starting tomorrow, and it's broken down the strike action into "stoppage" and "caravan". I think "caravan" basically means "No stoppage, but there will be service disruptions":
  • Stoppage: Tachira, Miranda, Carabobo, Aragua, Zulia, Nueva Esparta
  • Caravan: Caracas, Vargas, Trujillo, Lara, Cojedes, Yaracuy, Portuguesa, Bolivar

Demiurge4 posted:

It's because he's transitioned to personality cult mode. He can't say that because it gives off the impression he doesn't hold absolute power and that just isn't acceptable in a dictatorship.
Yeah, I think you're right. What surprises me is that, I guess this is it? Venezuela's a dictatorship? I think that's been the case for a while now, but it still hits me whenever I think about it.

fnox posted:

Escape From Venezuela news: I managed to secure at least some form of monthly income, $500 a month from the company I'm currently working with, with the possibility of increasing to up to $1000 after September. That's barely enough to get by but it'll do for now, I can complement it with some freelance work.
Congrats! I'm happy to hear this. I have no idea how far $500 takes you in Sweden, but I'm sure that if you hit the ground running and look for more opportunities you'll find some.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfLSHt94QN8

:ughh:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Chuck Boone posted:

Diosdado Cabello...
Is his name "god-given hair"? :stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sergg posted:

How hosed up is it that they are blocking your signatures to recall a guy who can't even loving spell his own drat name? This is literally Maduro's signature from his Wikipedia page.

Mumvuvummvuvmu. Pretty clear to me.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Fuschia tude posted:

Is his name "god-given hair"? :stare:

Yep and that's the only funny thing when it comes to this guy.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
At least in Maracaibo there was no strike, looks like the same in Caracas, only in some of the small cities it went through.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Labradoodle posted:

evil guy with a stick threatens people while his leader gets ready to dissolve the assembly?

Ive seen this movie before.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Labradoodle posted:

God lied.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Jorge Rodriguez and a couple of other PSUV people in the recall referendum committee filed their lawsuit at the Supreme Court earlier today asking to put an end to the referendum because they allege the MUD committed fraud as evidenced by the 605,000 signatures that the CNE invalidated. Rodriguez laid out the government's case:

quote:

This is a great fraud against the Constitution. It's unbelievable: 605,415 fraudulent and defective signatures. The MUD has altered the rights of Venezuelans. It violated the rights of millions of chavistas who support Maduro.
I have no idea what "altering the rights" of Venezuelans mean, or how a process explicitly laid out in the constitution violated the rights of people who support Maduro. We'll see what the Supreme Court says about this.

Also, Venezuela filed its monthly report with OPEC, and the figures have now been released. According to Venezuela, it produced 120,000 fewer barrels of oil per day in April than it did in May. This downward trend has been in effect since 2014. The full report is here. The production numbers are on page 57.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Thankfully their lawsuit has no legal basis or even reality basis so the Supreme Court are obviously going to throw it out, oh wait.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I have to say, that's the nicest murdering club I've ever seen.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Notice how all the top PSUV members are all fat.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The Supreme Court issued a ruling late this afternoon striking down the Ley Especial Para Atender la Crisis Nacional de Salud [Special Law to Address the National Health Crisis]. The law called on the national government to accept international medical aid, and set out some parameters for how that could actually happen (for example, by making it illegal to transport medical aid for the purposes of selling it for a profit).

The TSJ ruled that the National Assembly had usurped powers reserved for the President of the Republic. If I'm understanding this correctly, the TSJ said that the National Assembly had no right to ask the national government to ask for medical aid, or even declare that there was a medical emergency in the country.

drilldo squirt posted:

I have to say, that's the nicest murdering club I've ever seen.
It's plump from the souls of vanquished foes!

fnox
May 19, 2013

In case you guys wanted to see what we mean by people looting food, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUXoJIHng4s

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I posted that video in this very same page lol

absolutely awful stuff, even a high school girl stealing cigarettes...

fnox
May 19, 2013

El Hefe posted:

I posted that video in this very same page lol

absolutely awful stuff, even a high school girl stealing cigarettes...

gently caress I didn't notice.

I noticed on the aftermath pictures that one of the few things they left were one particular type of pastry, which I think was an alfajor. Of course, those looting this panaderia weren't exactly hungry, the hungry folk were those queuing up inside, the rest are opportunistic criminals.

It helps to remember that Venezuela isn't a civilized country. We're far, far away from civilization.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fnox posted:

I noticed on the aftermath pictures that one of the few things they left were one particular type of pastry, which I think was an alfajor.

Which shows these people are crazy, alfajores are amazing.

fnox
May 19, 2013

poo poo's going down in Cumaná, capital of the Sucre state. The police have been overran and the National Guard are being dispatched. I'm seeing pictures of it and it really is a huge mob just looting every single store and warehouse.

https://twitter.com/DNoticias24/status/742781783205351424

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Riots all over Cumana, hundreds of businesses getting looted and Maduro is on TV talking bullshit as always.

Not like it matters anyway because TV channels are too scared to show any reports of lootings or any actual news for that matter.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
And now the TSJ has another "reason" they can use to invalidate the referendum.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I can see Kerry pushing the referendum and quiet amnesty in return for stable government and financial support. There's no price too high for stability in SA.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Demiurge4 posted:

I can see Kerry pushing the referendum and quiet amnesty in return for stable government and financial support. There's no price too high for stability in SA.

Vastly preferable to the country burning to the ground, which is arguably starting. :(

fnox
May 19, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

The US just wants their oil, which contrary to popular belief is the primary buyer of Venezuelan crude. They know that an unstable Venezuela won't be able to commit to it's commercial agreements, and they know Venezuela under Maduro will head towards a total collapse, it's as simple as that.

I don't think they even care who's running the country, from the leaked CIA reports and diplomatic cables on Wikileaks you can tell that the US government doesn't hold the opposition in high regard either.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I don't hold the opposition in high regard either but at this point even loving Hitler would be better than Maduro.

fnox
May 19, 2013

El Hefe posted:

I don't hold the opposition in high regard either but at this point even loving Hitler would be better than Maduro.

Which is precisely why they would back a referendum this year. Nobody wants Maduro, everyone would be perfectly happy with just having another president, but the core of PSUV is afraid (and rightfully so, the polls back that notion) that if Maduro is removed, they will lose their grasp over the country, and with it, their legal immunity. They know very well that the second they're out of power somebody will be out for their heads.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Engaging with Venezuela at a foreign policy level must be a bit like trying to talk an insane person out of dropping a knife. I mean, this was Foreign Affairs Ministry Delcy Rodriguez as the OAS General Assembly just a few hours before she met with Kerry:

quote:

I have irrefutable evidence that the secretary general of the OAS has an interventionist approach to the internal affairs of Venezuela [because] he is under orders from Washington [D.C], serving as an agent of Washington. [Almagro laughs] I know that this makes you laugh, Almagro, but it’s the truth. You are on assignment from Washington to intervene with Venezuela’s internal affairs.

The unrest in Cumana was pretty intense. Jose Guerra is a National Assembly deputy, and he ays that at least three people died there today. Here are a couple of videos of looting in the city today:

https://twitter.com/JoseAGuerra/status/742787361545834498?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/AndrewsAbreu/status/742804599170605059?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And some pictures:

This is what was left of a pharmacy:

Looters also hit a mall. Here's an eyeglass store:

There was also an attempted looting attempt in La Vega, Caracas. Looters there tried to get into a local mall, but I'm not sure that they succeeded.

Also, in Catia (which is also in Caracas), protesters blocked a road that runs just outside the Gato Negro subway station:

The protesters in Catia were chanting "Queremos comida! Queremos comida!" [We want food! We want food!]:

https://twitter.com/CaraotaDigital/status/742842445654822912

Finally, here's a video of a confrontation between residents and National Guard soldiers in Puerto Ordaz, Bolivar state. I'm not sure what the confrontation was about, but towards the end you can see a National Guard soldier hitting someone with his helmet and then shoving a woman pretty violently:

https://twitter.com/epascuense/status/742798825300066305

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
And according to local TV channels everything is fine and absolutely nothing happened, if it wasn't for the internet we wouldn't find out about anything.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Even the police joined in on the looting...

https://twitter.com/venezoIanos/status/742836216874295297

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

It's going to be hilarious when the Maduro shills left become the left-wing version of the media hyping up RIOTERS AND LOOTERS every time Black Lives Matter or other social justice protesters do a thing. And by hilarious, I mean "absolutely goddamn infuriating and I'm gonna wanna smash their heads open with a brick".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You should probably calm down and stop hanging around with so many Maduro shills.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I have a feeling some bad poo poo is gonna go down today in Caracas. Stay safe, Venegoons, keep an eye on Twitter to see if anything is happening near your area.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fnox posted:

I have a feeling some bad poo poo is gonna go down today in Caracas. Stay safe, Venegoons, keep an eye on Twitter to see if anything is happening near your area.

Every day is a bad day. Still be careful, is there a specific reason you expect problems, and place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
It's amazing how fast this country has deteriorated, it really doesn't matter if there's a referendum or not because the people are going to storm Miraflores and murder Maduro if he's still there by December.