Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Allies Threadhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779981
Axis Threadhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779983

Axis and allied threads up for the cm lp. Need a few more people on each side so sign up, I promise only sunshine and good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I was playing War Along The Mohawk

hm.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I went ahead and picked up Unity of Command. drat, this is a solid game. It sounds like a sequel is going to drop pretty soon too, this time set on the western front.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

I was playing War Along The Mohawk

hm.

Beaver disappear sounds like an important skill

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Beaver disappear sounds like an important skill

Raccoon control :ninja:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is War along the Mohawk worth it? Where can I get it if so?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Is War along the Mohawk worth it? Where can I get it if so?

You can order it from Amazon, I guess? https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Interactive-War-Along-Mohawk/dp/B000LTYALA

Whether it's worth it or not is up to whether you like late 90s over-ambitious groggy squad rtses

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Nenonen posted:

When I saw the name "Order of Battle: Winter War" I sighed (while drawing my katana), but then pleasantly noticed that it also covers the fighting 1941-44, even the Lapland war.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/618/details/Order.of.Battle:.Winter.War

I hope there's a special rule to immobilize Finnish units by leaving stocks of alcohol behind.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you may know there's a new pride of nations patch with SPEEDUP!!! so i got out my stopwatch

it will now take approximately 60 hours of loading to complete the grand campaign

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

I hope there's a special rule to immobilize Finnish units by leaving stocks of alcohol behind.
Or Soviet units with freshly prepared sausages.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hello again Goon Grogs, ATG game 3 needs a new player to replace Brittania. Shooting is yet to start in this game and you have solid allies so its a good opportunity to pick up if you're new.

PM me or post here.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

AceRimmer posted:

Or Soviet units with freshly prepared sausages.

Vodka stops the Sovs; sausages are for the Germans.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

ZekeNY posted:

Vodka stops the Sovs; sausages are for the Germans.

That was a reference to something that actually happened.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

you may know there's a new pride of nations patch with SPEEDUP!!! so i got out my stopwatch

it will now take approximately 60 hours of loading to complete the grand campaign

To be fair, that is actually a noticeable improvement right?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

To be fair, that is actually a noticeable improvement right?

a 2-3x speedup, iirc

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The speed at which I scroll past PoN in the store remains unchanged however.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone dare make a trip report? I actually have PoN on Steam from a bundle a while back, so it'd be easy-peasy to reinstall.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As I understand it the current PON patch will not be finalised until the end of June, and is really only looking at upgrading features in the newer engine rather than addressing turn processing time. With the current beta patch the early game turns are still around 80 seconds for me which will stretch out the longer you go.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyone dare make a trip report? I actually have PoN on Steam from a bundle a while back, so it'd be easy-peasy to reinstall.

I mean, they fixed a lot of bugs and stuff. it's fine as patches go. But I cannot imagine anyone ever playing to the end of the game without dying of old age first...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Have there been measurable speed increases as newer CPUs and increased RAM has come along or is it such dog-poo poo game, it wouldn't run well on a Cray?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Have there been measurable speed increases as newer CPUs and increased RAM has come along or is it such dog-poo poo game, it wouldn't run well on a Cray?

it is cpu-limited and doesn't have multi-threading. also a grand campaign is 1680 turns long

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The obvious solution is all the goons that accidentally own it (me somehow) need to play a pbem game, then the turn processing time won't matter!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

uPen posted:

The obvious solution is all the goons that accidentally own it (me somehow) need to play a pbem game, then the turn processing time won't matter!

wouldn't a pbem game literally take 10 years

e: the special late start added with the africa DLC lowers it to 800 turns which would only take about four years

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

e: the special late start added with the africa DLC lowers it to 800 turns which would only take about four years

This is the greatest mental image. Imagine a Pbem taking longer to finish than a degree.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Xenolalia posted:

This is the greatest mental image. Imagine a Pbem taking longer to finish than a degree.

Imagine a playthrough of WW2 taking longer than the actual war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Still shorter than the actual time period being represented.

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine
Would anyone like to recommend me a good strategic-level cold-war war-game?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Henry Kissinger posted:

The leaked 'East vs West a Hearts of Iron Game' beta takes the #1 slot for me, 'Supreme Ruler: Cold War' a close #2.

Please don't buy Supreme Ruler: Anything.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Henry Kissinger posted:

Twilight Struggle for PC.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 19, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Henry Kissinger posted:

Post/username combo :vince:

Twilight Struggle

Slightly less on-the-mark recommendations: Vietnam 65, Rise of Nations

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

uPen posted:

The leaked 'East vs West a Hearts of Iron Game' beta takes the #1 slot for me, 'Supreme Ruler: Cold War' a close #2.

Please don't buy Supreme Ruler: Anything.

also dont tell people to play evw

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
He's just giving him strait talk.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna finally buy a Combat Mission game + relevant upgrades but I can't decide which one. Does battle for Normandy offer the best bang for your buck? I want the most toys to play with, in terms of vehicles and formations. Final Blitzkrieg seems cool and (comparatively) cheap but also has a limited scope.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

He's just giving him strait talk.

That should be a bannable offense.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DarthJeebus posted:

I think I'm gonna finally buy a Combat Mission game + relevant upgrades but I can't decide which one. Does battle for Normandy offer the best bang for your buck? I want the most toys to play with, in terms of vehicles and formations. Final Blitzkrieg seems cool and (comparatively) cheap but also has a limited scope.

Normandy has the most bangs for the most bucks. But other versions have a lot of content as well. Rule of thumb with CM games is to just buy the theatre that interests you and you will have lots of stuff to play around with, regardless of which you choose.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You'll get tons of gameplay out of Normandy so unless you have a special interest in the Russians or the Italians it's your best bet. The presence of heavy bocage is the only thing that keeps it from being an all-around '44 in Europe simulator, and the Market Garden addon goes a long way to address that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The most bangs for the most bucks is the greatest CM:BN description :allears:

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Anyone have any experience with the AT:G editor? I kinda want to work on an alternate rules-set, but I can't seem to change any values, anywhere!(I've been messing around in the editor)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

What are you trying to change? I've played around in it enough to figure most of it out and there are a bunch of tutorials on the ATG matrix forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Public Service Announcement

For those of you eyeing any grog games on Steam, the Summer Sale is supposedly beginning this Thursday, June 23.