Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Running at the reference 1050 MHz base/1100something boost clocks?

Derp, didn't think about that :downs:

Dialed back to reference clocks I get 6.5, so the RX480 is still slower :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Don Lapre posted:

We looked at our D&H today and every card has stock coming in about every 2 weeks. Both newegg and amazon use D&H so that should give you an idea on when poo poo will come available.

Wholesale cost on the ASUS 1070 founders edition with an MSRP of $449.99

is $447.70

Ok but Amazon didn't get poo poo this week while Newegg got a bunch, so I'm not sure if this says much in terms of when product may or may not come in on Amazon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Derp, didn't think about that :downs:

Dialed back to reference clocks I get 6.5, so the RX480 is still slower :smith:
The Steam VR rating is also highly dependent on CPU load and varies wildly between consecutive tests because it apparently it uses a psuedorandom number generator to determine whether the image gets more or less quality which also affects its rating. You only get really consistent results with something like a GM200 chip or any multi-GPU setup, if only because it doesn't seem to degrade image quality at all in those cases. I'm not sure if AMD's marketing department ever took any of this to account though. :downsgun:

When I still had a 290 with an i7-4790t I got anywhere between 6.1 to 7.1 over a few tests (e: at 1000mhz) and I was running gently caress all else.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 14, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Lol, AMDs lineup is garbage and RTG's going to get sold to keep what might be a worthwhile x86 µarch going. These power consumption and performance numbers are unacceptable, it's barely as capable as Maxwell and it has a worse perf/power curve, and this on 14nmFF vs 28nm Planar. This is bulldozer levels of gently caress up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

source your quotes

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Can one of the ports on a GPU be bad and cause it to crash? I assume yes, but just want to make sure.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

source your quotes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Lol, AMDs lineup is garbage

much like your posting

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bleh Maestro posted:

Can one of the ports on a GPU be bad and cause it to crash? I assume yes, but just want to make sure.

You mean one of the video ports? eg: you plug a cable into DVI-1 and it's all crashy, but the same cable in DVI-2 has no issues?

This is totally a thing that can happen, usually the port internals have been damaged (check the cable for bent pins) or the solder is lose on the board for that connector.

If you have a warranty this should be reason for replacement, though proving it to a manufacturer might be difficult.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

source your quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aaHUIAMTk

Summation
1. RX 480 4GB has razor thin margins for manufacturers @ 199$, AIB partners want to push it to 219$, basically the RX480 4GB will die a swift death because
2. RX 480 8GB is doable @ 249$ with all the bells and whistles
3. Manufacturers were expecting a 249-300$ card, AIB partners are disappointed in AMD.
4. The reference RX480 can't overclock, it has no headroom
5. It's unlikely custom will do much better (reviewer is trying to be optimistic though)
6. AIB partners refuse to discuss or have no idea what the RX480 performance is
7. The only good news is apparently the GP106 is far from ready, which will trounce the RX480

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

You mean one of the video ports? eg: you plug a cable into DVI-1 and it's all crashy, but the same cable in DVI-2 has no issues?

This is totally a thing that can happen, usually the port internals have been damaged (check the cable for bent pins) or the solder is lose on the board for that connector.

If you have a warranty this should be reason for replacement, though proving it to a manufacturer might be difficult.

I think I'm just going to buy this EVGA card and do a step up to 1070. Is this ACX version OK to hold me over? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/2496109.p?id=1219549325520&skuId=2496109

Model: 04G-P4-3979-KB

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bleh Maestro posted:

I think I'm just going to buy this EVGA card and do a step up to 1070. Is this ACX version OK to hold me over? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/2496109.p?id=1219549325520&skuId=2496109

I'd recommend buying from Newegg - no tax unless you're in one of four states, and Best Buy's return policy is 14 days to Newegg's 30. And if you're going to Step-Up, it makes sense to buy the basest model you can, since they take value from the base models.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd recommend buying from Newegg - no tax unless you're in one of four states, and Best Buy's return policy is 14 days to Newegg's 30. And if you're going to Step-Up, it makes sense to buy the basest model you can, since they take value from the base models.

No, they take the price from your receipt/invoice.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Why not just get the Classified 980 Ti and do a step up to something like a FTW if you really want a 1070? You're going to pay a bunch extra in tax anyway.

EVGA will also let you Step Down if you want to for some reason.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 15, 2016

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Bleh Maestro posted:

New 980 Ti's have been spotted for ~$370

Not sure how they work for the step up

http://slickdeals.net/f/8836275-evga-980-ti-classified-365-free-shipping-newegg-via-ebay?v=1&src=SiteSearch

http://slickdeals.net/f/8837775-msi-geforce-gtx-980ti-gaming-6g-golden-edition-369-99-ar

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Psy890 posted:

New 980 Ti's have been spotted for ~$370

Not sure how they work for the step up

The EVGA deal with the coupon is only available if you have a Chinese PayPal account. For US people it's $410.

EVGA isn't going to give you Step Up on one of their competitors cards, so the second one is out. The MSI Golden Edition is a great card, on par with the Classified. So it's an even better deal if you don't want Step Up.

edit: and the Golden Edition is now out of stock

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 15, 2016

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I'm definitely going to want a 1070. I was going to just wait until the 3rd party line up was fleshed out but it appears my GPU is failing.. or at least the HDMI port is causing it to crash.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aaHUIAMTk

Summation
1. RX 480 4GB has razor thin margins for manufacturers @ 199$, AIB partners want to push it to 219$, basically the RX480 4GB will die a swift death because
2. RX 480 8GB is doable @ 249$ with all the bells and whistles
3. Manufacturers were expecting a 249-300$ card, AIB partners are disappointed in AMD.
It looks like Nvidia is running on tight margins, too (above)

quote:

4. The reference RX480 can't overclock, it has no headroom

The guy said he "heard" it can't overclock well but didn't know for sure. And it was implied that was with the reference cooler

quote:

5. It's unlikely custom will do much better (reviewer is trying to be optimistic though)
6. AIB partners refuse to discuss or have no idea what the RX480 performance is
7. The only good news is apparently the GP106 is far from ready, which will trounce the RX480
nowhere does anyone claim the 1060 will trounce anything, just it will be Nvidia's competitor to the RX480

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I think he's suffering a meltdown again

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Dang, I was all set to buy that 980Ti, just wanted to get home from work to make sure I really wanted it. Oh well, I'm in no hurry.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ninkobei posted:

The guy said he "heard" it can't overclock well but didn't know for sure. And it was implied that was with the reference cooler

nowhere does anyone claim the 1060 will trounce anything, just it will be Nvidia's competitor to the RX480

Not that we would ever know these details, but pictured above were margins for retailers, not what the company themselves sold them for to the distributor but more importantly not a good indication of how much the GPU cost to the aftermarket comapny. If AMD is listing a msrp of "$200" and if the actual literal cost is too close to that it becomes a problem for aftermarket companies. I'm not even saying this is the case but if we apply the logic that these chips weren't performing as expected as per rumors requiring them to list them at a lower price point that could cause potential problems.

The distributor to retailer margins will always be thin no matter what because that's how competition works (essentially in this case), but there has to be a little meat on the bones for the aftermarket companies too if they're expected to design a PCB and cooler around it.

Gigabyte G1 1070s were for sale on Newegg an hour ago and I missed it

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 15, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Newegg has 980 Ti FTWs on sale for $400

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Ninkobei posted:

Nothing above your post indicates Nvidia AIB partners are running on slim margins.

Ninkobei posted:

No, the AIB partners explicitly stated the reference card can't overclock. It's unlikely custom will allow more room since it's not like 6 pin can't go out of spec and it's unlikely to be thermally limited.

Ninkobei posted:

480CF only just barely beats a stock 1080 in a fairly favorable DX12 "benchmark", it'd be pretty easy to say that a stock 1060 is roughly half the performance of a stock 1080, thus stock to stock the 480 might equal the 1060 in most benchmarks. Then you just overclock the 1060 and get another 15-20% more performance for less power consumption. 1060 die is also smaller than the RX480 die so they should be priced fairly close.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My 1080 came early! :neckbeard:

Unfortunately I had the hell of a time getting the drat thing to fit in my case. Had to remove the handy screwless card-holding-thingy from my case, find appropriate-sized screws to brace the card (thank you, old PC in the garage) and only when I was done and plugged everything back in did I notice this:

:sigh:

Guess I'm gonna have to yank the card out and clip that part off.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Got a shipping notification from EVGA, expected delivery is Thursday for the 1080 FTW. Order time according to email was 6:57

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

My 980 Ti is like this as well. The I/O is like right up against the expansion slots making it difficult to plug cables in. I don't know if it's variances with motherboard makers or case makers or GPU makers, but some where along the way things have started shifting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think he's suffering a meltdown again

He just sounds like bizzaro /v/, who were recently salivating over the RX 480.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SlayVus posted:

My 980 Ti is like this as well. The I/O is like right up against the expansion slots making it difficult to plug cables in. I don't know if it's variances with motherboard makers or case makers or GPU makers, but some where along the way things have started shifting.

Luckily the HDMI port is just barely accessible. I'm more worried about the vents being blocked.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlayVus posted:

What brand? I have it with both my EVGA reference and my Classified versions of the 780 Ti, on my NZXT case. My Raven case doesn't do that.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

What brand? I have it with both my EVGA reference and my Classified versions of the 780 Ti, on my NZXT case. My Raven case doesn't do that.

Galax 980 Ti HOF in a Corsair C70. I had a raven, but sold it to a friend for his build. The RV01 was just getting too big for me. So, it might be case makers not getting cuts and/or designs done.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

He just sounds like bizzaro /v/, who were recently salivating over the RX 480.

I am 100% okay with being on the exact opposite side of an issue as /v/, but in reality I was hoping for something good from AMD, something competitive but as more information has been released it's been one disappointment after another, and my decline in enthusiasm is easily tracked over the last 6 months of my posts in this thread. I'm not going to keep cheerleading for a poo poo product.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Gigabtye FE 1070 is in stock at Newegg for you impatient goons.

edit: and gone.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 15, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm just going to place a preorder on BLT and get in line. They have pretty much all of the aftermarket cards from ASUS, eVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, and Zotec on backorder, and stock coming in between 6/23 and 7/2 (link).

I do not care about a $100 difference, so I am willing to order anything on that page. I do care a lot about noise though, so fan noise is a huge deciding factor, especially since I sleep in the same room as my computer and will occasionally be running CUDA jobs overnight. I also really want to get as close to silent at idle as possible.

Which aftermarket card would be the best for me?

tl;dr: Which aftermarket cooler is the quietest at idle and under load?

EDIT: Wow, the real time stock tracker at BLT is showing much lower volume than yesterday. They had ~20 of each STRIX with stock arriving on 7/2 in their inventory tracker; now they have 10 total and apparently cancelled a lot of preorders. Supply must really be a lot more constrained than they though. Still showing 400 FTW's coming in on 6/23 though.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 15, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm definitely going to want a 1070. I was going to just wait until the 3rd party line up was fleshed out but it appears my GPU is failing.. or at least the HDMI port is causing it to crash.

Are you sure it's the port and not the cable? HDMI cables love to die. What video card and display do you have? There is probably another way to get them connected, HDMI isn't universal enough to be the only option.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Chuu posted:

Which aftermarket card would be the best for me?

tl;dr: Which aftermarket cooler is the quietest at idle and under load?

You'd need to wait for the large comparison reviews, we don't know yet.
Also what is BLT, I've been looking for a good price comparison site for the US that doesn't suck. pcpartpicker is full of dead results and you can't sort poo poo.
Something like this http://geizhals.de/?cat=gra16_512&xf=1439_GTX+1080&sort=p

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

460 looks to be the card I use to replace 750 Tis with.

Why replace a 750 Ti? It's got 2GB VRAM and well paced to make good use of it and play games on low / medium settings smoothly.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Why replace a 750 Ti? It's got 2GB VRAM and well paced to make good use of it and play games on low / medium settings smoothly.

Replace on parts lists for new builds, not replace out of currently running machines. 750Ti's are still used heavily for home theatre computers, as they can be had without the need for a pci power connector, and in half height configurations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

After scouring the internets for results, I ended up finding some dubious claims that dual 760s are somewhere in the range of 15-25% slower than a single 980 (non-Ti), assuming that all the gears and poo poo that are required for SLI to work actually bother to do so. So if the 480 is anywhere near a 980, it's a potentially large increase in actual performance for me, given that SLI is a pain in the rear end. So yeah. I'll take it. Can it be June 29th please?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Less than 30 minutes after I started shitposting apocalypticlly like a deranged oracle of delphi, WCCFTech drops this.

1080Mhz baseclock, 1266Mhz boost clock, edges out even a decently overclocked 980 and Nano (while having an inferior processor? It's a RX480 w/4960X vs 980/Nano w/6800K), apparently consumes ~100W at 1266Mhz and hits 60C on reference model. Of course, the cavaet is this is all from an unnamed but "legitimate" source; not like WCCFTech has anything to lose by selling bullshit. Apparently OC information to follow.

If this is even half true that means there will be some RX470s floating about stuck at near baseclock and sucking on bus power.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

Less than 30 minutes after I started shitposting apocalypticlly like a deranged oracle of delphi, WCCFTech drops this.

1080Mhz baseclock, 1266Mhz boost clock, edges out even a decently overclocked 980 and Nano (while having an inferior processor? It's a RX480 w/4960X vs 980/Nano w/6800K), apparently consumes ~100W at 1266Mhz and hits 60C on reference model. Of course, the cavaet is this is all from an unnamed but "legitimate" source; not like WCCFTech has anything to lose by selling bullshit. Apparently OC information to follow.

If this is even half true that means there will be some RX470s floating about stuck at near baseclock and sucking on bus power.

At $200 that's a killer place to be. Sweet. They have a niche!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

EoRaptor posted:

Replace on parts lists for new builds, not replace out of currently running machines. 750Ti's are still used heavily for home theatre computers, as they can be had without the need for a pci power connector, and in half height configurations.