Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

less laughter posted:

A dick does not make someone male or female.

you know what I meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

Is it not, however, possible that a future Link could, in fact, be a girl?

apparently not

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

apparently not

This is saddening and I hope it changes for future titles.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

A), yeah, that's dumb, but I guess those sell somewhat. B to D :circlefap:. Who's Chico?

Also, thanks for the detailed reply.

Chico is one of the people they had testing the game out on the livestream, and is intent on setting as many things on fire as possible and killing as many random animals as she could for food. (Link collects food, including both meat from dead animals and vegetables/mushrooms, as health, rather than the traditional hearts)

Forgot to mention:

F. Link can snowboard on his shield, though that degrades the shield faster so do it sparingly.
G. Link can climb 90 degree inclines, but he has a stamina bar when climbing so he can't go too high up.
H. Link can put on/take off clothes, reflected on his model. You can play Link in his underwear if you want to take massive damage from everything.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

This is saddening and I hope it changes for future titles.

i dont care if it does or doesn't change, as long as I can play the game, it's fine.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

i dont care if it does or doesn't change, as long as I can play the game, it's fine.

That's perfectly fine. I appreciate that we can have differing opinions on an issue that ultimately doesnt mean the end of the world or anything.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Patter Song posted:

F. Link can snowboard on his shield, though that degrades the shield faster so do it sparingly.
G. Link can climb 90 degree inclines, but he has a stamina bar when climbing so he can't go too high up.
H. Link can put on/take off clothes, reflected on his model. You can play Link in his underwear if you want to take massive damage from everything.

Dang, now I understand why this game took so long. Nintendo is woefully prepared to do something on this scale -- they aren't Ubisoft/EA. Pretty happy they did, though, this is all sounding right up my alley.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

link should just be a crudely drawn circle with a smiley face

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spellman posted:

Why can't we have a black haired Link or a black Link or a Link without pointy ears?

We could have any of those things. Link's hair colour has already been blonde, brown, red, and pink so far. There are dark-skinned peoples in Hyrule that an incarnation of Link could be born into. The triforce of courage doesn't necessarily have to latch onto a pointy-eared person. None of these ideas are as outlandish as you seem to think they are.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

me: link is a girl

nintendo, flustered: well actually the tri-

me: the triforce is trash

nintendo: :stonklol:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"What's next, a Link who's a black lesbian??" yeah a Gerudo Link would in fact be neato thanks for asking.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Supercar Gautier posted:

"What's next, a Link who's a black lesbian??" yeah a Gerudo Link would in fact be neato thanks for asking.

:yeah:

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

jivjov posted:

I'm actually hardpressed to think of any video game character ever where the character's gender is absolutely integral to the plot. Possibly any games that deal with various aspects of parenthood, specifically pregnancy/childbirth...but even that isn't an absolute.

As for "good representation", I again go back to the Pokemon comparison...is it a bad thing that the Pokemon games added a gender option in Crystal? Since there were two sets of games with a locked-in male protagonist, should they not have added a gender option?

But there is absolutely no reason why this has to be the case.

My problem with what you're saying is that you're calling for games to be more progressive, while reinforcing stereotypical gender roles. Deciding that a guy is not a guy because he doesn't act like you think a guy should act is the opposite of progressive. Link doesn't need to be a sex-crazed, chest-beating adrenaline junkie to be guy.

Pokemon Crystal is a terrible example because that game added the girl as a new character instead of changing an old one. You know, exactly like I was suggesting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Link hangs dong in this game, he's generally not the most masculine guy around but he's got something to prove this time. Link chops down trees and poo poo, what a man

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

link should just be a crudely drawn circle with a smiley face

only if he has a penis

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

My problem with what you're saying is that you're calling for games to be more progressive, while reinforcing stereotypical gender roles. Deciding that a guy is not a guy because he doesn't act like you think a guy should act is the opposite of progressive. Link doesn't need to be a sex-crazed, chest-beating adrenaline junkie to be guy.

Pokemon Crystal is a terrible example because that game added the girl as a new character instead of changing an old one. You know, exactly like I was suggesting.

Thats not really the point jivjov seems to be trying to make at all. I'm reading his posts along the lines of "Link's gender is not important to the plot of any Zelda game so far (except maybe WW I guess but its tenuous) and Link is a diferent person in every game with like 3 exceptions, so why not add a choice like they have done in other franchises with player avatar type characters"?

Which is imo a perfectly reasonable unoffensive viewpoint coming from someone who doesn't exactly conform to norms put upon me at birth. (not to say I speak for any group of people as a whole)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Spinning Robo posted:

only if he has a penis

A fruity one that with a Skittles or Starburst quality to it, if I may.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

"AHH! They remember me!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

This is actually a really good point; and I'm not trying to dictate what does and doesn't 'count' as being a gender role.

I don't want Link to be a sex-crazed, chest-beating adrenaline junkie...I just see Link as such a non-CHARACTER that adding a gender option shouldn't be that big of a deal. Hell, people were already half convinced that this Link was a girl already due to being "more feminine" than past Links; they could probably get away with a player-selectable gender option that literally changes nothing except pronouns.

EDIT:

Junpei Hyde posted:

Thats not really the point jivjov seems to be trying to make at all. I'm reading his posts along the lines of "Link's gender is not important to the plot of any Zelda game so far (except maybe WW I guess but its tenuous) and Link is a diferent person in every game with like 3 exceptions, so why not add a choice like they have done in other franchises with player avatar type characters"?

Which is imo a perfectly reasonable unoffensive viewpoint coming from someone who doesn't exactly conform to norms put upon me at birth. (not to say I speak for any group of people as a whole)

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to get across; there's never been a Zelda game that makes an issue of Link's gender. It's never been a concern for the plot or gameplay.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 14, 2016

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
Tingle got 4 games before Zelda got one that wasn't on the CDi.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Macaluso posted:

People always respond with something like this any time people want characters added to games that are women/PoC/gay/etc and it's total bullshit

I really can't believe they haven't at least made a Zelda spinoff yet. They gave her an entire fighting moveset for Smash, you could easily rework that for her own adventure game. And hell you could even include her being able to transform into Sheik

Oh man I know right? Having a shiek game or anything with zelda being the hero sounds fun.

jivjov posted:

This is what they should use all those OoT/MM 3DS assets for: a spinoff set during the Seven Years Link is sealed away where you play as Zelda/Sheik.

That sounds totally awesome.

jivjov posted:

I'm actually hardpressed to think of any video game character ever where the character's gender is absolutely integral to the plot. Possibly any games that deal with various aspects of parenthood, specifically pregnancy/childbirth...but even that isn't an absolute.

The use of gender in video games is the same as use of gender in every single form of fiction everywhere. You wrote a story, you made characters. Are they male? Female? Does the audience get to know? At this point your argument is about the use of gender in stories in general.

The problem with zelda is that these characters are already defined, and maybe the author doesn't want to change them. That's it. That's all there is to be said. While you'd like for nintendo and amoura to go a different route, it's perfectly reasonable for them not to. And considering that they're sticking to that stupid timeline, the only way I see link being a female is if they decide to do a reboot.

Because otherwise you'd have to go into link, a boy, being reincarnated with the body of a woman. Maybe nintendo doesn't want their game to get into politics or social etceteras of transgender individuals, or even let the media get the chance to put that upon them and their games. Not that there is anything wrong with doing that. Look I know it may be upsetting to see another triple A title having a male hero, but a well established series with a defined continuity isn't the battleground to make your stand on the case.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Remember when the worst posts in Zelda threads were just about timelines?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Magypsy posted:

Tingle got 4 games before Zelda got one that wasn't on the CDi.

Nintendo really missed the chance to make the big announcement everyone was hoping for this E3, bringing the localization people said was impossible to the Virtual Console:

Tingle's Freshly-Picked Rosy Rupeeland

It's OK, we'll still be around 5, 10 years from now demanding it get a North American release.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

This is actually a really good point; and I'm not trying to dictate what does and doesn't 'count' as being a gender role.

I don't want Link to be a sex-crazed, chest-beating adrenaline junkie...I just see Link as such a non-CHARACTER that adding a gender option shouldn't be that big of a deal. Hell, people were already half convinced that this Link was a girl already due to being "more feminine" than past Links; they could probably get away with a player-selectable gender option that literally changes nothing except pronouns.

so nintendo is at fault for not meeting the expectations that they drew from a picture

nice

also they'd have to make it so that female link can't be shirtless, and they'd have to make a bunch of female-suited clothes for this female link.

nice

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Remember when the worst posts in Zelda threads were just about timelines?

I mean technically these are, but in a more pedantic way than usual

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I wish Nintendo had the balls to make a game with just a big fat dick as the main character and they could name it Cathy the Cock I don't think that'd be alienating any of the new wave minority movements because,

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sprite141 posted:

The use of gender in video games is the same as use of gender in every single form of fiction everywhere. You wrote a story, you made characters. Are they male? Female? Does the audience get to know? At this point your argument is about the use of gender in stories in general.

The problem with zelda is that these characters are already defined, and maybe the author doesn't want to change them. That's it. That's all there is to be said. While you'd like for nintendo and amoura to go a different route, it's perfectly reasonable for them not to. And considering that they're sticking to that stupid timeline, the only way I see link being a female is if they decide to do a reboot.

Because otherwise you'd have to go into link, a boy, being reincarnated with the body of a woman. Maybe nintendo doesn't want their game to get into politics or social etceteras of transgender individuals, or even let the media get the chance to put that upon them and their games. Not that there is anything wrong with doing that. Look I know it may be upsetting to see another triple A title having a male hero, but a well established series with a defined continuity isn't the battleground to make your stand on the case.

And you know...if they had just said "Link isn't a girl because our vision of the character is for Link to be male", that would be the end of it. But instead it because this really odd thing about how Link being a girl would gently caress up "the balance of the Triforce"

And yes, the characters have genders that are part of the stories...but at what point in a Zelda title has a character's gender been pivotal to anything?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sprite141 posted:

Look I know it may be upsetting to see another triple A title having a male hero, but a well established series with a defined continuity isn't the battleground to make your stand on the case.

I hope people aren't genuinely being upset by such things.

jivjov posted:

And you know...if they had just said "Link isn't a girl because our vision of the character is for Link to be male", that would be the end of it.

There's nothing to end, people have various thoughts and ideas about some entertainment series on the internet. Who cares? You make it sound like there's a situation and Nintendo must release a statement.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Patter Song posted:

Nintendo really missed the chance to make the big announcement everyone was hoping for this E3, bringing the localization people said was impossible to the Virtual Console:

Tingle's Freshly-Picked Rosy Rupeeland

It's OK, we'll still be around 5, 10 years from now demanding it get a North American release.

I unironically bought Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland at launch, and imported Tingle's Balloon Fight. I'd have bought Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love if it were in English.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

And you know...if they had just said "Link isn't a girl because our vision of the character is for Link to be male", that would be the end of it. But instead it because this really odd thing about how Link being a girl would gently caress up "the balance of the Triforce"

And yes, the characters have genders that are part of the stories...but at what point in a Zelda title has a character's gender been pivotal to anything?

yeah its almost like link doesnt need to be female

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
It might be best to keep in mind that this 'balance of the triforce' explanation is coming from an intern who was probably told by a game journalist who was told by a translator who was told by a probably pretty tired aonuma what the deal is. This may not be an exact thought to argue over.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alternative: let us play as adventuring Zelda.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

yeah its almost like link doesnt need to be male

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Harrow posted:

Alternative: let us play as adventuring Zelda.

That idea always makes more sense, and I find it odd that this may appeal to some less than playing a female version of Link. Plus as we know she was a badass ninja one time.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Playing as zelda would be alright but on the other hand I really really don't care and find the whole idea that people want gender swapped characters weird.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'd love a Zelda game where Zelda is the actual playable character. She's been good at adventure stuff in multiple incarnations by now.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sprite141 posted:

Because otherwise you'd have to go into link, a boy, being reincarnated with the body of a woman.

One of the over a dozen Links that exist now could already be a woman (or non-binary person) in a man's body. It wouldn't change the established stories in any significant way, really, including the established romantic interests.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

yeah its almost like link doesnt need to be female
nothing needs to happen, but it just seeems when you can choose a player character of either gender in splatoon,pokemon, animal crossing,a console mainline mario game, and legend of zelda game hyrule warriors, drawing the line at a mainline zelda game and saying "why should we let you play a girl now?" seems stupid.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

less laughter posted:

One of the over a dozen Links that exist now could already be a woman (or non-binary person) in a man's body. It wouldn't change the established stories in any significant way, really, including the established romantic interests.

Just for the record, it's interesting/funny/something that these conversations are exactly the same as ones Doctor Who fans have a lot. I guess it goes along with the whole wibbly wobbly timey wimey-ness of these series. Link should get a cool phone booth thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, and it's a bit too many games into the storyline to start now. Again as dumb as the timeline is, Nintendo is sticking to it. Which makes this a sequel/prequel. Making link a blank non-gender pc so the player can choose the identity of the pc would involve negative character growth, which is uncool. Then again if it's a new reincarnation I guess I can't say character growth, can I?

jivjov posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to get across; there's never been a Zelda game that makes an issue of Link's gender. It's never been a concern for the plot or gameplay.

In the past (or future depending on the timeline) link was a boy who falls in love with a zelda who falls in love with him, but she is in danger/taken away so on and so forth. Yes that is cis gender or whatever the gently caress you want to call it, but that still is a point to which gender has some play on the story. And it's the same play that has been in the story since way the gently caress early on in the series because it's the same souls being reincarnated. Honestly it's just a party of the story itself. That is simply it. If you want to change the story, you'd have to go back many years ago to change it before it started or consider making a zelda reboot.

Which I'd be ok with a reboot cause zelda was kinda more fun before the stupid timeline thing. Just make them not link up please.

• Locked thread