Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also there are regular sized rats in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Now I like the farron sword a little less because it reveals that the hit stun mechanics are wonky all around. On a lot of enemies you don't want to do the second spin, because if they get hit again while they're stunned it won't do poo poo, but sometimes you can "frame trap" them by waiting til they're almost recovered, and it feels awful that that works but the way you would "really" want to do it doesn't. Phantoms and other player-alikes have one set of rules, most enemies have another, and then red/blue knights seem to have a different set or maybe they're just right on a fault line between invisible stagger break points, but it doesn't feel so good

PleasingFungus posted:

my first run through ds3, as a pyromancer, i took about 40-45 minutes to beat vordt, over more than a dozen attempts. just now, on my second char (thief), i beat him in one shot. feeling very smug right now.

(probably helped that his ai decided to take a fiesta midway through the fight & just let me wail on him while he caught his breath? no idea what was going on there...)

Vordt is a trap for ranged attack users. his only dangerous thing is his scampering back and forth move but if you keep trying to cast at him he'll punish you from all the way across the room with it. It annoyed the poo poo out of me til I realized how clever it was.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
At least poise will work in Nioh, because it won't even be a mechanic.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

mortons stork posted:

So what do I do when I aldrich invade and some joker just waits for me in the middle of the ladder to the water reserve? I'm just crystaling out by now, I'd just like to get the last laugh sometime.

As already stated, you can kick him. You can also grab the heaviest hitting weapon you can dual wield, dual wield that bad boy, then walk calmly into the pit and swing on your way down. Knocks them off about 50/50 and if they die, you get a reward, even if you die too.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

!Klams posted:

I had the best invade at the profaned capital one time. I'd killed the sunbro and then the host was doing basically that, just waiting on the long ladder down from the bonfire. I started hitting him, and he didn't get any good kicks in somehow. So he sort of panicked, and started climbing, and then was waiting for me at the top. I guess the camera angle isn't great though, because he was obviously trying to get in a position where he could twat me as I came up, but couldn't quite work out where that was? So he was jockying back and forth, safe in the knowledge that with the higher ground I could never really get him. But he was also scared to move away from the ladder, because I'd come after him and eat him? (People are always super scared of invaders, which is hilarious to me because I am poo poo.) Eventually, after AGES of me looking like I was about to crest the top and then ducking back down, I baited a swing out of him, and took my chance to finally climb up. He kind of panicked again, which is what I was counting on, so as soon as I got up I rolled forward behind him, as in his panic he just swung at the ladder again without actually locking on. I turned around on the spot and neatly kicked him off. It felt SO satisfying.

My favorite invade moment: I was a madman, invaded into a 2v2 in Undead Burg (guessing he had the fingers up). Had to kill two phantoms - killed red phantom 1 because he jumped me, red phantom 2 managed to kill white phantom 1 before dying to the host. Ran around with the host a bit, showing him some of my favorite hidden items, like the flame clutch ring. There's a like a titanite shard or something horrible off on the side of a house near there where a thrall comes up over the side and attacks you, so he ran to it (not noticing the thrall) and the thrall came up and swung his axe at him. Guy rolled into the thrall as I was in the process of kicking it, knocked both of them over the ledge.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Regarding the poise stuff, recall that Tallgeese found pretty solid evidence that poise is % based. So, assuming that this stuff is even true and not just a whole bunch of seeing patterns where there are none, how could that work out? Best I could think of is basically being RNG based, which is horrible. "Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't because it's literally a % chance to happen". I guess it could also relate to % of HP lost in a single attack? But I have my doubts, it would've been easier for people to test if it was that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hosed up but true: I don't care about poise or whether it's broken/bad/whatever

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Earwicker posted:

also there are regular sized rats in the game

The small rats that you fight are not "regular sized."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dlc boss: the deacon boss fight but with rats and dogs

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

swamp waste posted:

Vordt is a trap for ranged attack users. his only dangerous thing is his scampering back and forth move but if you keep trying to cast at him he'll punish you from all the way across the room with it. It annoyed the poo poo out of me til I realized how clever it was.

yeah, i gave up on casting at him very early on. mostly i got clobbered by a 2-hit combo: he'd knock me down, then my queued up roll (too slow to dodge the first hit!) would trigger as i got up, and then he'd hit me with a second attack just as my roll ended, killing me.

input buffering...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I would only think Vordt heavily punishing casters would be clever if he wasn't the second boss of the game.

It does send a helpful message out though, which is put the loving staff away, go grab the sword and kite shield that are conveniently in the same room, and effortlessly sword-and-board your way through the game because From doesn't like magic.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

Dlc boss: the deacon boss fight but with rats and dogs

Royal Rat Vanguard's Revenge?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
casting spells is a way to avoid interacting with the most interesting & fun parts of the game (player & monster melee attacks), and you should be punished for trying to use it exclusively.

when casting is fun, it's in a "look how cool it is to break the game over my knee!" sort of way. it's a 'sometimes' playstyle

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

RyokoTK posted:

It does send a helpful message out though, which is put the loving staff away, go grab the sword and kite shield that are conveniently in the same room, and effortlessly sword-and-board your way through the game because From doesn't like magic.

At least until you can gather up 50-60 int, magic clutch ring, bellowing dragoncrest ring, dusk crown, court sorcerer's staff and a scholar's candlestick. Then From apparently loves magic?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

pun pundit posted:

At least until you can gather up 50-60 int, magic clutch ring, bellowing dragoncrest ring, dusk crown, court sorcerer's staff and a scholar's candlestick. Then From apparently loves magic?

Considering you need to be completely kitted out in very precise equipment and invest in damage stats far more than anyone else just to hang at end-game, and at that point you get completely dusted really easily in PvP, nah, From definitely doesn't love magic.

PleasingFungus posted:

casting spells is a way to avoid interacting with the most interesting & fun parts of the game (player & monster melee attacks), and you should be punished for trying to use it exclusively.

when casting is fun, it's in a "look how cool it is to break the game over my knee!" sort of way. it's a 'sometimes' playstyle

So why do they have a class where you start with the weakest weapon and offensive spells? It sounds like that's more the game's fault for having the only effective offensive spell be various flavors of magic missile.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Vordt isn't bad if you know how to dodge his post-midpoint scamper. Everything else he does is pretty harmless except maybe that attack with the shockwave in phase 2.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

The small rats that you fight are not "regular sized."

I live in NYC. they look pretty regular to me.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Considering you need to be completely kitted out in very precise equipment and invest in damage stats far more than anyone else just to hang at end-game, and at that point you get completely dusted really easily in PvP, nah, From definitely doesn't love magic.

So why do they have a class where you start with the weakest weapon and offensive spells? It sounds like that's more the game's fault for having the only effective offensive spell be various flavors of magic missile.

While this treats magic worse than the others there really isn't a ton of room for non-offensive spells in this style of game. They could use a lot more dynamism, but utility spells would be too niche to really be relied upon (beyond buffs/enchantments). And that it takes such a commitment to be good at magic, though perhaps not fully thought out in DS3, isn't necessarily a problem, at least in my opinion. I've said it before, but too many games basically make magic overpowering, so there needs to be some way to balance it out. Hamstringing it to the extent that it limits character builds isn't great, but it does prevent from being to easy to rely on it as a crutch. Also, if you're kitted out properly, you can still 1 or 2 shot players with a few different spells. I even occasionally see casters rolling with flashsword.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lore question: what is up with those dead little mushroom people in the corner of Farron Keep?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The issue is more that cool offensive spells that aren't Soul Arrow, Lightning Spear, or GCFO are hilariously weak or FP-inefficient, which incredibly hinders their use, especially when you can only slot a very limited number of spells. I love Crystal Homing Soulmass as an idea for a spell, except the damage of it in this game is a goddamn joke, and Soul Stream is probably the most disappointing spell of all time in Dark Souls. Homing Soulmass is good for applying pressure in PvP, kind of, and that's it. Farron Flashsword and Lightning Stake are cool and flashy, but they're melee attacks of a different color, only with a lot less flexibility than just using a goddamn melee weapon and enchanting it with the element.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Earwicker posted:

Lore question: what is up with those dead little mushroom people in the corner of Farron Keep?

Farron Keep is partly made out of Darkroot Garden. The mushroom corpses are one of the things they put in to make that clear.

Also to make you sad. Not the babies too! :qq:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Earwicker posted:

they're from the royal woods in dark souls 1 so I guess the implication is that farron keep is the same place in the future

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ah I thought it must be something like that but I have only played DS2 before this one. I'll have to go back and play DS1 since I've seen many people pointing out similarities etc.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The issue is more that cool offensive spells that aren't Soul Arrow, Lightning Spear, or GCFO are hilariously weak or FP-inefficient, which incredibly hinders their use, especially when you can only slot a very limited number of spells. I love Crystal Homing Soulmass as an idea for a spell, except the damage of it in this game is a goddamn joke, and Soul Stream is probably the most disappointing spell of all time in Dark Souls. Homing Soulmass is good for applying pressure in PvP, kind of, and that's it. Farron Flashsword and Lightning Stake are cool and flashy, but they're melee attacks of a different color, only with a lot less flexibility than just using a goddamn melee weapon and enchanting it with the element.

Eh, if you combo Crystal Homing Soulmass and Crystal Soul Spear you can near-instantly kill someone in PvP for around 1500 damage. I've had duels that end as soon as I turn around. People really exaggerate the uselessness of magic.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

and Soul Stream is probably the most disappointing spell of all time in Dark Souls.

it looks really cool when that one boss uses it on you

...though i don't think it ever damaged me...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Obligatum VII posted:

Royal Rat Vanguard's Revenge?

Royal Rat Rearguard

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Nephthys posted:

Eh, if you combo Crystal Homing Soulmass and Crystal Soul Spear you can near-instantly kill someone in PvP for around 1500 damage. I've had duels that end as soon as I turn around. People really exaggerate the uselessness of magic.

What are you left with if the other guy dodges properly? Do you roll away and hope he gives you enough time to re-cast CHS? Or do you pull out a sword and fight them like everyone else? It does damage, with a very specific setup, but it seems exceptionally inflexible to me.

Also, that's a really long walk to get to SL120 so you can do red sign duels at meta level, and represents a really small part of the game.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Oh no a stick lightly poked my butt, I can't help but stagger forwards with my 150 kilograms of armour that is made out of the scales of a mountain-sized dragon.

it's amusing in that it works both ways

you can tickle a lothric knight to death with your rinky dink rapier really easily so long as they don't have hyper armor from wielding a UGS

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

hard counter posted:

you can tickle a lothric knight to death with your rinky dink rapier really easily so long as they don't have hyper armor from wielding a UGS

Or hyper armor from wielding a Lothric Knight Straight Sword, a weapon that has no hyper armor at all when you use it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

What are you left with if the other guy dodges properly? Do you roll away and hope he gives you enough time to re-cast CHS? Or do you pull out a sword and fight them like everyone else? It does damage, with a very specific setup, but it seems exceptionally inflexible to me.

Also, that's a really long walk to get to SL120 so you can do red sign duels at meta level, and represents a really small part of the game.

If he does that then you have to play it by ear. Sometimes you can carry on casting a bit, I find that mercury cloud spell will make people hesitant to attack you which is funny cuz its hella weak, but obviously sometimes you do need to switch to a melee weapon (or spam flashsword). If you play inflexibly, you're playing badly. Spells should never be your only attack, you always need other options to compliment them. Needing to use a sword doesn't make them bad. The fact that I can do massive damage with spells and still be perfectly viable in melee with a MLGS makes me pretty happy with my build. I decent caster should be switching between spells and swords when necessary. If spells could reliably hit people they would be incredibly broken because they do huge damage and can be used from range. Like any other attack people can dodge pretty well so its all about timing. Of course, even a chance to instantly end a fight or do 1000 damage is pretty loving good.

You don't need to go through the whole game using magic. I switched in NG+ and now I prefer my new build over my previous melee one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Even the crystal sages have rapiers.
And the hollow mages bonk you with their stick.

The only pure magic enemies in the game are also listless, plodding and pathetic.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Perhaps it could've magic in pve could've been balanced out a bit more by putting in some enemies that either require and item to hurt, like the ghosts in DS1, or offensive spells. If done well, that could have forced players predominantly relying on physical attacks to plan a bit more before certain encounters.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So the best part about magic is that you can completely dedicate your entire stat allocation and equipment spread to it in the hopes that you can alpha strike your opponent, and if that doesn't work, you can use a sword not as well as everyone else, and that's only after you've finished the entire game and reached NG+ levels, and that's only in PvP.

Before that, well, you can kinda poke people with spells so that they run up to you rather than you running over to them. Or you can just play as a melee character and respec later.

e: I guess my point is that I pretty much play this game for PvE/NG all-boss clears, and every time I try to bust out offensive spellcasting in any capacity I just end up making the game harder for myself. Either I try to lean a lot on spellcasting and it's really slow and weak and my stats are spread too thinly, or I use it as a sometimes food and end up very rarely finding a situation where casting a spell would be better than melee, and eventually end up using magic just for casting Spook and Magic Weapon or for drawing aggro, and for all of these you can use items instead.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 15, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just go Pyro and lava everyone to death

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was going to say regarding magic in this game, I would mind so many of the spells sucking if you could hold way more of them and equip the more easily. The way the have the weapons switch between dual wield/weapon skills/etc. would have worked well for that.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen spells be a thing you equip onto your talisman/catalyst/etc. So you pull out your talisman, and when it's out using the different attack buttons/stances lets you cast different spells you have equipped to it. I'd like that a lot more than having to equip a limited number of spells across each discipline.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

RyokoTK posted:

Or hyper armor from wielding a Lothric Knight Straight Sword, a weapon that has no hyper armor at all when you use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc8hXBWUJyo&t=136s
not exactly an effective showing, even with the brief WA hyper armor

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

So the best part about magic is that you can completely dedicate your entire stat allocation and equipment spread to it in the hopes that you can alpha strike your opponent, and if that doesn't work, you can use a sword not as well as everyone else, and that's only after you've finished the entire game and reached NG+ levels, and that's only in PvP.

Before that, well, you can kinda poke people with spells so that they run up to you rather than you running over to them. Or you can just play as a melee character and respec later.

e: I guess my point is that I pretty much play this game for PvE/NG all-boss clears, and every time I try to bust out offensive spellcasting in any capacity I just end up making the game harder for myself. Either I try to lean a lot on spellcasting and it's really slow and weak and my stats are spread too thinly, or I use it as a sometimes food and end up very rarely finding a situation where casting a spell would be better than melee, and eventually end up using magic just for casting Spook and Magic Weapon or for drawing aggro, and for all of these you can use items instead.

Unfortunately it's not something you can go halfway on at all, unless you just want some utility spells like hidden body which breaks the game in half if you aren't fighting a boss. However if you do go all in on sorcery (which unfortunately means devoting very close to all your levels and ring slots to it), then you can kill some of the hardest bosses in the game in 8 hits, and one shot many enemies like the snake dudes at dragoncon. It really does feel powerful for the last third of the game or so.

Shame about everything before that though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Nephthys posted:

If he does that then you have to play it by ear. Sometimes you can carry on casting a bit, I find that mercury cloud spell will make people hesitant to attack you which is funny cuz its hella weak, but obviously sometimes you do need to switch to a melee weapon (or spam flashsword). If you play inflexibly, you're playing badly. Spells should never be your only attack, you always need other options to compliment them. Needing to use a sword doesn't make them bad. The fact that I can do massive damage with spells and still be perfectly viable in melee with a MLGS makes me pretty happy with my build. I decent caster should be switching between spells and swords when necessary. If spells could reliably hit people they would be incredibly broken because they do huge damage and can be used from range. Like any other attack people can dodge pretty well so its all about timing. Of course, even a chance to instantly end a fight or do 1000 damage is pretty loving good.

You don't need to go through the whole game using magic. I switched in NG+ and now I prefer my new build over my previous melee one.

All the good spells also being the really boring spells is what bothers me. Where are my trap spells that let me lay down magical proximity mines or stuff? I want fun, creative things. Not soul spears.

Edit: Oh, right, back in DS2, which in fact had a proximity mine pyromancy. Though interesting spells were pretty sparse even there.

In other news, I've really loving the dual katanas with this new weapon art hyper armor. I've been finding L2->R1->L1 straight up murders a lot of people from full HP, or at least after a poke or two if they've gone heavy on HP investment, or if they knock me down to tearstone range cause I'm offhanding morion and wearing a red tearstone, which means a trade where they knock me to 1 HP (thank you tears of denial) is generally one that they die from. Also, people seem to forget it is not parryable and end up eating onislayer uselessly waving their buckler around as I come out of a roll into my weapon art instead of a rolling attack.

Why don't I see more people using these things? Also works well with Leo ring, between the running R1, running L1, the R2, and the thrust in the second part of the L1 combo. Super versatile moveset, now has an unparryable hyper armor move which turns anything but a dodge into a VERY losing proposition.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Got drunk and used my last NG++ respec to go pure sorcery because reasons. Is there a better sword to use as back up than the crystal infused lothric knight one I'm using now? My faith is 8 so raw rear end is out btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So does anyone else have this bug where an enemy just becomes GROSSLY INCANDESCENT and blocks out your entire screen with glare? It seems to fade away eventually and I think it's associated with stuff coming in from distances out of different LODs and can affect enemy players or npcs. I've never had it affect my character directly tho