Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
gently caress dynamic queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They 10000% can.

Guess I was misinformed, that's good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dias posted:

gently caress dynamic queue.

What's dynamic queue?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

What's dynamic queue?

When the game queues you as a solo queuer against stacks if there's not enough people, or so I understand,

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dias posted:

When the game queues you as a solo queuer against stacks if there's not enough people, or so I understand,

Yeah sorry but dynamic queue is necessary.

Punishing people who play with friends by making them sit through five minute queues is retarded.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Yeah sorry but dynamic queue is necessary.

Punishing people who play with friends by making them sit through five minute queues is retarded.

Yeah, but getting destroyed by 5, 6-man teams all the time is also not super fun.

I understand that it's probably a better option but dude, this game is unplayable if I don't have at least two friends online.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

What's dynamic queue?

Afaik, it's when the queue tries to match groups with even-matched groups, but if it can't do it for whatever reason, it adjusts its criteria until it manages to get enough people together for a game. So if you roll in as a group of 6, it'll try to find another group of 6 around your skill; when it can't, it tries 5+1, 4+2, 4+1+1, etc. until it finds something that works.

Which is perfectly reasonable for the lower tiers of play, since it's going to be a rare occurrence with most of the playerbase there; in high-level play, the pool of potential players is a lot smaller, so you can frequently run into situations where it's 3 solo queuers and a group of 3 vs. a 6-stack of good players, and they utterly stomp you because they can coordinate better thanks to being friends and playing together often and poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, and I think I graduated to a decent enough MMR where most people my level are teaming up a while ago. Plus I think the LatAm pool is naturally shallower, so to get you a match the game fishes you from the solo queue barrel with a shotgun.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

If you want to play with friends so badly and want short queues, play with them but don't be on the same team. Why does everyone else have to deal with stomps because you want to play with your group?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly don't care about getting paired with a group as long as the other team also has a group. The only reason I didn't like it in Dota 2 was because matches there were way longer and the group would often start poo poo talking anyone that isn't a part of it.

I mean presumably they are doing the same here but in their own group chat so I don't have to mute them.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dias posted:

Yeah, but getting destroyed by 5, 6-man teams all the time is also not super fun.

I understand that it's probably a better option but dude, this game is unplayable if I don't have at least two friends online.

Do you legitimately think that every game you get matched up against a stack is 100% unwinnable? If so, just play in a stack.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If the matchmaking isn't stupid it'll give a small effective MMR adjustment to make up for the party size difference. The only losers in that scenario are people that party together but don't coordinate anyways.

But maybe blizzard hasn't gotten that far with the idea, I don't know.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Do you legitimately think that every game you get matched up against a stack is 100% unwinnable? If so, just play in a stack.

That's not a real solution. I play solo and with goons and would gladly wait 3 minutes for a match instead of 30 seconds if it meant I was only matched with other solos when solo and other groups when grouped.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I already see a fair number of 3 minute queues, thanks. Hope you enjoy 30 minute queues then.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Night Blade posted:

If you want to play with friends so badly and want short queues, play with them but don't be on the same team. Why does everyone else have to deal with stomps because you want to play with your group?

There's no guarantee a team of solos versus a stack is going to be a stomp. I've beaten stacks while solo queuing and I've certainly lost to solo teams while in a stack.

With built in VOIP and the chat commands there are plenty of tools to help solo teams compete. If you feel like you're getting matched into unwinnable games blame the matchmaker screwing up MMR calcs, Blizzard's dumb 50/50 thing, or your own play.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I rather get crushed than be bitched at by a group for not playing what they want me to play.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

drat, it's almost like I mentioned that exact same thing in that post.

And it's not 100%, but you're handicapped as gently caress, don't even front like you aren't.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

fadam posted:

There's no guarantee a team of solos versus a stack is going to be a stomp. I've beaten stacks while solo queuing and I've certainly lost to solo teams while in a stack.

With built in VOIP and the chat commands there are plenty of tools to help solo teams compete. If you feel like you're getting matched into unwinnable games blame the matchmaker screwing up MMR calcs, Blizzard's dumb 50/50 thing, or your own play.

It's not a guarantee, but that doesn't matter. It's an undeniable advantage that results in a stomp more times than not. Most pubs don't want to talk to one another so the game's built in VOIP is a moot point.

Again, if you want to pal around with your friends that's great - do it in a shuffled team so people can play something resembling a fair game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It doesn't matter anyway because Overwatch will soon be a thing of the past, thanks to China's answer to the game: League of Titans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ERuPj-ibE

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Verranicus posted:

It doesn't matter anyway because Overwatch will soon be a thing of the past, thanks to China's answer to the game: League of Titans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ERuPj-ibE

There's NOTHING in this world that China can't rip off in less than a month.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
look sorry nerds but I like playing in a stack so blizz should provide only options that benefit me

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
p.s. protip for solo queuers -- just cancel any queue that goes over like 30 seconds and you dramatically cut your chances of being matched up against a north korean deathsquad

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Soothing Vapors posted:

p.s. protip for solo queuers -- just cancel any queue that goes over like 30 seconds and you dramatically cut your chances of being matched up against a north korean deathsquad

Yeah I figured this out. And before I get dogpiled by goons who only stack teams and told to git gud and find a premade I usually do roll with one through Discord, but sometimes I feel like playing 1-2 matches before going out or while my tea is heating up and I don't want to join a group planning to bail shortly afterwards so yeah.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Night Blade posted:

It's not a guarantee, but that doesn't matter. It's an undeniable advantage that results in a stomp more times than not. Most pubs don't want to talk to one another so the game's built in VOIP is a moot point.

Again, if you want to pal around with your friends that's great - do it in a shuffled team so people can play something resembling a fair game.

How about if you want a "fair game", make a team and play in a stack. It's not my problem that you don't have friends to play with.

There's no good way to do it, but the current implementation is probably best because if the idea of having to play against coordinated teams tilts you, you can just grab friends and get rid of the problem. Without dynamic queue there's no solution to the problem of teams having to wait forever to get into a game other than splitting up, and that makes no sense in a game designed around rewarding teamwork.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Play the game how you want as long as you have fun and aren't a jerk about it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I hate to say it, but Overwatch was fine and well balanced before this nerf hit. The characters all had decent sets of counter characters, and the two who were recently nerfed just lost the large amount of flexibility that made them fun characters just to boff around on.

There. I said it. They were fun to play. Mcree's FoH now is a slot machine, of which you must be lucky to use correct enough to kill a character such as Tracer, or Zenyatta. His Rate of Fire with his primary does not allow for enough time to take a decent enough advantage of the stun granted by his flashbang. Frankly, he's been gutted, and now is pretty much primarily suitable for mid-range combat, and nothing else.

Widowmaker has been gutted further, although I'm not going to go into it, as some feel it's necessary to dance on the corpse, and gut further.

These changes are not going to be the first, nor the last. There will be more from this ' Vocal Minority ', that will continue to gut the game, disabling the flexibility of each character, and placing them in specifically suited roles, turning it exactly into a ' TF2 ' lookalike.

If you don't like these changes, now is the time to speak up. Stop this train before it goes any further to catering to this, dare I say it, ' Toxic ', crowd.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dias posted:

drat, it's almost like I mentioned that exact same thing in that post.

And it's not 100%, but you're handicapped as gently caress, don't even front like you aren't.

You're actually not. Maybe this pussy defeatist attitude you have is a bigger obstacle in the way of OW success than this bogeyman of super coordinated six man teams that you can't seem to avoid queuing into.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Play the game how you want as long as you have fun and aren't a jerk about it.

But how will I feel validated if I don't act like an abrasive rear end in a top hat to everyone who I disagree with over a video game?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

protip: if you cancel your queue after 20-30 seconds you will also avoid the majority of players who feel the need to insult you and lecture you about how your overwatch playstyle is Objectively Wrong

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

You're actually not. Maybe this pussy defeatist attitude you have is a bigger obstacle in the way of OW success than this bogeyman of super coordinated six man teams that you can't seem to avoid queuing into.

Whatever your opinion on the subject might be, coming off like an rear end in a top hat about it isn't helping you get your point across.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Verranicus posted:

I hate to say it, but Overwatch was fine and well balanced before this nerf hit. The characters all had decent sets of counter characters, and the two who were recently nerfed just lost the large amount of flexibility that made them fun characters just to boff around on.

There. I said it. They were fun to play. Mcree's FoH now is a slot machine, of which you must be lucky to use correct enough to kill a character such as Tracer, or Zenyatta. His Rate of Fire with his primary does not allow for enough time to take a decent enough advantage of the stun granted by his flashbang. Frankly, he's been gutted, and now is pretty much primarily suitable for mid-range combat, and nothing else.

Widowmaker has been gutted further, although I'm not going to go into it, as some feel it's necessary to dance on the corpse, and gut further.

These changes are not going to be the first, nor the last. There will be more from this ' Vocal Minority ', that will continue to gut the game, disabling the flexibility of each character, and placing them in specifically suited roles, turning it exactly into a ' TF2 ' lookalike.

If you don't like these changes, now is the time to speak up. Stop this train before it goes any further to catering to this, dare I say it, ' Toxic ', crowd.

Source your quotes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FranktheBank posted:

Source your quotes.

thats the joke yes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

But how will I feel validated if I don't act like an abrasive rear end in a top hat to everyone who I disagree with over a video game?

That's easy, just be an abrasive rear end in a top hat on your forums of choice rather than ingame.

FranktheBank posted:

Source your quotes.

Literally everything Verranicus posts is a quote from the Blizzard forums.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

fadam posted:

Lol, what prompted this ridiculous outburst.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Countblanc posted:

thats the joke yes

Everytime I see his posts I get about halfway through them before I'm like "wait a minute" and look to the left and give an approving nod

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

Everytime I see his posts I get about halfway through them before I'm like "wait a minute" and look to the left and give an approving nod

You're learning.

Edit: Someone in the thread mentioned some goons got into the latest Gosugamer tournament or something? Did you guys end up doing well/were you shown in any of the replays? What was the team name?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My regular friends are neets who play at idiot hours so daytime solo queue is a nightmare.

Bastion keeps trying to do the stupid platform gimmick to attack Volskaya. I suggest "let's not get married to this gimmick" and it sets off him and the sniper trading recriminations about who's the shitter while I'm golding everything but heals and we throw away 7 goddamn minutes to attack B.

I wish we still had Mystery Heroes so I could play the game without running into that poo poo.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

fadam posted:

The real answer is to wait and see what happens when ranked comes out and has time to settle out, but being a giant baby about waiting 5 minutes to play with friends is a fine second answer, I guess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Verranicus posted:

You're learning.

Edit: Someone in the thread mentioned some goons got into the latest Gosugamer tournament or something? Did you guys end up doing well/were you shown in any of the replays? What was the team name?

We had to drop the night before because they moved the tournament start time up an hour (due to doubling the number of entrants) and one of our players couldn't make the new time. Hopefully we can try again this week.

e: A friend of mine's team made it to top 16 and lost to EnVyUs so that's pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't know how OW is going to handle its ranked mode, but I really hope they learned from how miserable TL was in HotS. Team League in HotS forced premades to play against each other and I would run into 10+ minute queues in off hours.