Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Theta Zero posted:

Perhaps you should clarify whether you'd like Link to be a girl in an upcoming game because you'd think it'd be neat, which I would agree with; or if you think that they should make Link a girl in the next game, in which case I'd ask what would be the point. I'm going to assume you don't honestly think they should put in the extra dev time to focus on making a female variant of Link for BoTW over actually polishing the game and adding gameplay elements, because that's just downright silly.

Linkle was good in Hyrule Warriors and I'd like to see more Linkle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SylvainMustach posted:

Yea my thoughts as well

Has any other company transitioned so poorly into a new console?

Missing E3 isn't that big a deal; both the Bone and the PS4 were first announced at their own events. They backpedaled and elaborated respectively at the following E3, but missing the dumb yearly marketing event isn't going to be what sinks the system.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The new PS4 might also be out before next E3, and Sony didn't want to include it this year.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad that Nintendo didn't talk about the NX, because it gives them an advantage over Microsoft who already blew their load on both the Xbon e(S) and Project Scorpio

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

RyokoTK posted:

calling you "captain of the PC Patrol" is him insulting you specifically, not women

Exactly, thank you. I have nothing against women at all, and I'm all for gender equality. Why not make a bold choice and create a new badass character instead of cheapening it by offering a female version as an alternative as an afterthought?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Missing E3 doesn't matter but killing their current console a year before their successor is ready is spectacularly lame.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here's my for real honest to goodness take.

Arguing on the Internet about video games is bad.

Trolling those same people and making them argue more is even worse. But it's funny.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only console announcements this year were from Microsoft: a non-stupid huge version of the Xbone and a new console with 6 teraflops that immediately makes it stupid for someone to consider getting the XboneS

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
One of the more odd things I've seen is someone trying to use a "More women would play Zelda if they could play as a girl." line which I found odd because I've always felt the Zelda series had a pretty vocal female fanbase. Like, I feel there's been way more women cosplayers doing Zelda related costumes in the past decade than men.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's because the Zelda series has a bunch of cool, strong women.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I'd love a full Zelda game where you can play as Sheik/Zelda exclusively

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Missing E3 doesn't matter but killing their current console a year before their successor is ready is spectacularly lame.

You can't blame Microsoft for not having the Scorpio ready in time. Rendering those pixels -- the best pixels -- takes time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone would love this.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

You can't blame Microsoft for not having the Scorpio ready in time. Rendering those pixels -- the best pixels -- takes time.

We're making the best pixels. Our pixels are gonna be great, the best quality. No one is gonna deny how good our pixels are - Donald "Phil Spencer" Trump

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah it's not just that the NX won't be here but also that they have nothing besides Zelda while everyone else is pushing new consoles and dropping big titles that people want to see. It wouldn't really matter if there was any indication there'd be something worthwhile coming before Zelda in March.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Tender Bender posted:

Nintendo themselves in 2012, I guess.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nintendo, when they released the Wii U and somehow could not effectively communicate that it was an entirely new console and not an accessory or something for the Wii.

was there a massive drop off in games for the wii the same way?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jonny_Rocket posted:

A game where you play as Impa executing stealth operations against the enemies of the Hylian throne

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I am curious about when they actually plan on unveiling the NX. I mean people can go on about how some company "has" to do this or that, but unless I'm going to just wake up one day, and go to Target, and see a NX lying on some shelf, there gonna announce it sometime. Is there any other conference that Nintendo goes to they could announce it at, or just drop a crazy Direct out of nowhere?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Zelda stars in her own adventure: Dishonored 2.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SylvainMustach posted:

I think Skyward Sword was the only worthwhile game in its final two years.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sam Faust posted:

I am curious about when they actually plan on unveiling the NX. I mean people can go on about how some company "has" to do this or that, but unless I'm going to just wake up one day, and go to Target, and see a NX lying on some shelf, there gonna announce it sometime. Is there any other conference that Nintendo goes to they could announce it at, or just drop a crazy Direct out of nowhere?

Yeah, they can literally announce a big direct whenever the hell they want to

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
For news that big, what benefit does E3 give them? Anyone who keeps up with or reports news from E3, will hear about or report news about a Nintendo Direct covering the NX. It will be the biggest gaming news of any given day.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

You say this as if wanting representation in media is a bad thing.

If you want representation in media, make make media. Don't whine about something someone else created.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SylvainMustach posted:

The last year of the Wii was full of localised JRPGs and other smaller releases and they stopped coming the moment the Wii U was out, more or less. (The 3DS is in that phase right now). DS fared a little better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Yeah, they can literally announce a big direct whenever the hell they want to

They've already established that they'll do this immediately before or after a big public event and reveal things that you wish were at the show because they don't (and shouldn't) give a gently caress.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

greatn posted:

If you want representation in media, make make media. Don't whine about something someone else created.

Welp, pack it in boys, all media criticism is dead

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

All this strong resistance to the idea of a female Link option is bizarre, and finding myself agreeing with jivjov posts isn't helping the situation.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Monarch posted:

All this strong resistance to the idea of a female Link option is bizarre, and finding myself agreeing with jivjov posts isn't helping the situation.

Jivjov typically has fairly reasonable pinions (that he can be somewhat anal about) when he isn't talking about the Nintendo account system.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Realistically, they're not doing it because it's "too much work" and they know Only Boy will go over better than Only Girl.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Monarch posted:

I've said it before, i'd be completely fine with a female link! I just think it's stupid to replace link with a female link because ??? instead of introducing a character like Linkle

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

greatn posted:

lol

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Those uppity women should just make their own video games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, and the player character should be a bishie in green pyjamas.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Let's do it

I'll be executive producer

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Junpei Hyde posted:

Jivjov typically has fairly reasonable pinions (that he can be somewhat anal about) when he isn't talking about the Nintendo account system.

Thank...you?

BillmasterCozb posted:

I've said it before, i'd be completely fine with a female link! I just think it's stupid to replace link with a female link because ??? instead of introducing a character like Linkle

1) You're contradicting yourself here "I'd be fine with a female link" "it's stupid to replace link with female link" How do those two interact?
2) I don't think many people were seriously expecting Link to be 'replaced' with a female option, but rather were expecting a male/female choice on game start like Animal Crossing or Pokemon.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'll make the kickstarter

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

Thank...you?

1) You're contradicting yourself here "I'd be fine with a female link" "it's stupid to replace link with female link" How do those two interact?
2) I don't think many people were seriously expecting Link to be 'replaced' with a female option, but rather were expecting a male/female choice on game start like Animal Crossing or Pokemon.

My guess is that he means he'd be fine with a female player character.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think it's fine however it turns out genderwise, and there's the more important factor that is if the game is fun. I think the discussion is depressing overall because it's not based on the functional tactile things that make Zelda fun. We should be more focused on whether the new formula is going to make dungeons more or less fun; whether the idea of a Zelda game as expansive as this one with an open world concept is interesting, and other things that Breath of the Wind is bringing to the table.

Dozens of pages of what-if-he-were-a-girl or "it wouldn't be a problem if he was a girl" is pointless when he is the same blonde boy he's always been.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread