Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does your dog even lift brah? Have you considered cutting their kibble with oats and squat thrusts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Ausrotten posted:

good way to avoid her melting down over less food is to replace part of her kibble with high fiber veggies. it'll fill her up without adding much in the way of calories

This is useful advice, I will do this, thank you.

Wheats posted:

I like to trick mine by putting a tiny amount of kibble in the bowl and then spreading the rest between multiple puzzle toys, because dogs are bad at judging quantities.

This is also useful advice and my god she loves her kong (though she's had a good go at destroying her black one and the red one's in bits) so I'll start splitting things so she has a kong of kibble taken out of her breakfast and can have that when I head to work.

Psychobabble! posted:

If you want an echo chamber of positive feedback, stay on Facebook hth

Guys stop being such meanie pants on the something awful dot com forums. May I direct you to the various furmommy pet forums that will hold your hands and dance around the topic for a page?
Who am I kidding, they'd think the dog was at a great weight because people have a poo poo concept of what a fat dog looks like.

I don't do dog stuff on fb apart from the odd picture of her if she's actually stayed still enough to photograph and I would not go near the pet page type things on there as I imagine they're much like the mum & baby pages which are hideous and sprinkle fairy loving dust all over the shop. But yeah, apparently people who don't have that much experience of healthy weight dogs don't know what a healthy weight dog looks like *shrugs* and if vets won't say 'lady, your dog needs you to be Jon to her Garfield' then unless you do come into places like this, you may never realise that what looks underweight (because we're used to fat dogs) is actually ok.

paisleyfox posted:

That was polite. :) The way you pouted and said how we SHOULD HAVE approached it is so far past Brit politeness it's bordering on hand holding a child. Sorry you heard something mildly unpleasant. Just as your dog does not care about her own past, we don't either. Aus stated a fact based on a picture in the present, yes your dog is fat.Is it a cute picture? Sure. She's also fat.

My dog has gotten fat, I even asked the vet to reweigh him before. Yup, he was a tubbo that gained 5 lbs, which is a LOT for a 24 lb doggo and I cut his food down but I'm also very good at ignoring the pitiful faces when they say they are hungry. She screams? Time out in another room or something, I don't put up with that poo poo. vOv I have thumbs and they do not, so they can't get any more food. Exercise is nice and rewarding for the dog, but food, just like in people, is probably 80% of the battle anyway. Never trust the bag, it would have me feeding my dogs around 2 cups a day when they get maybe 3/4 of a cup.

Good luck with that skin tag. Hope she makes a fast recovery.

Ok, yes, I get it, I was too defensive as has been pointed out by a fuckload of people before you got round to telling me how stupid I am so can we move on now? For some reason I thought this was a comedy forum rather than an arsehole one. I have said repeatedly that I have cut her food and will do the things people are suggesting. And thanks, I am sure she'll recover just fine as long as she doesn't decide to chew the wound...should be ok, will just give her extra toys to destroy for a bit :D

One of the other things I'm taking from this is that a bit like with people, recommended daily intake isn't actually all that useful and that I need to get her to be ok with being picked up so I can weigh her (she hates being lifted or carried and will jump from a height because she's an idiot.)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Train your dog to do a 'sit pretty' on the scale. :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Kluliss posted:

:words:

Ok, yes, I get it, I was too defensive as has been pointed out by a fuckload of people before you got round to telling me how stupid I am so can we move on now? For some reason I thought this was a comedy forum rather than an arsehole one. I have said repeatedly that I have cut her food and will do the things people are suggesting. And thanks, I am sure she'll recover just fine as long as she doesn't decide to chew the wound...should be ok, will just give her extra toys to destroy for a bit

quote:

4. Don't take criticism personally. Critique of your animal's care or situation is meant to help improve both your life and your pet's. Getting defensive won't help anything!

Ah... Its ok. This IS kind of an rear end in a top hat forum we are just incredibly stuck up our own asses and very elitist about it. Just realize walls of impassioned text, or itemized long responses tend to bring out the worst traits in people that cant resist poking a bit farther on the quest for the perfect online meltdown. :v:

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Rurutia posted:

Train your dog to do a 'sit pretty' on the scale. :3:

I was looking for something new to teach her, this might be it...

SneakyFrog posted:

Ah... Its ok. This IS kind of an rear end in a top hat forum we are just incredibly stuck up our own asses and very elitist about it. Just realize walls of impassioned text, or itemized long responses tend to bring out the worst traits in people that cant resist poking a bit farther on the quest for the perfect online meltdown. :v:

Yeah, I got grumpy and forgot to step away from the internet. I haven't really partaken of the poking of forum people, for some reason I only poke the idiots on facebook. I guess it's easier there :D

Thank you to all those who gave me useful advice, hopefully I'll be able to post in a couple of months going 'hey look at my normal weight dog'... (who hopefully will also not have anything actually wrong with her from all the lumps and skin tags)

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Kluliss posted:

One of the other things I'm taking from this is that a bit like with people, recommended daily intake isn't actually all that useful and that I need to get her to be ok with being picked up so I can weigh her (she hates being lifted or carried and will jump from a height because she's an idiot.)

You don't need a scale to figure out if a dog's at a good weight - checking her ribs is an easier yardstick. You want to feel ribs with a light touch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

We went to the park with my neighbor and his year old husky/GSD mix. His dog is about a year old and pretty good size, while my dog is only about 30 lbs at this point. She's not 6 months old, but I'm guessing she doesn't have a whole lot more to go as she's a ACD/Border collie mix. Maybe 40 lbs being generous?

Anyway, they did pretty good together off leash. Then some folks with a full Husky and a Malamute showed up. My dog tried to keep up with the big dogs, but after being run over a couple of times mainly hid between the humans' legs and watched the action, or chasing behind at a safe distance.

Should she be able to handle these other dogs? I feel kinda bad for her. She did okay when they weren't running her over, she jumped in on the ground when things were a little more calm and was a pretty good wrestler. It's hard to find dogs her size, most either either bigger or smaller - especially when I was looking for a dog in the first place, there are only a handful of breeds in the 40 lb range.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

I know it's a dog. You don't need to call it a "German Shepherd Dog."

FogHelmut posted:

We went to the park with my neighbor and his year old husky/GSD mix.

:crossarms:

FogHelmut posted:

Should she be able to handle these other dogs? I feel kinda bad for her. She did okay when they weren't running her over, she jumped in on the ground when things were a little more calm and was a pretty good wrestler. It's hard to find dogs her size, most either either bigger or smaller - especially when I was looking for a dog in the first place, there are only a handful of breeds in the 40 lb range.

The bigger dogs you pretty much have to keep supervised to make sure they dont crush the wee one, pretty much set the pace of play with a group of mixed sizes at the pace of the smallest one for safety, but as the dogs get accustomed to that they usually set their own pace pretty well.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 14, 2016

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

We went to the park with my neighbor and his year old husky/GSD mix. His dog is about a year old and pretty good size, while my dog is only about 30 lbs at this point. She's not 6 months old, but I'm guessing she doesn't have a whole lot more to go as she's a ACD/Border collie mix. Maybe 40 lbs being generous?

Anyway, they did pretty good together off leash. Then some folks with a full Husky and a Malamute showed up. My dog tried to keep up with the big dogs, but after being run over a couple of times mainly hid between the humans' legs and watched the action, or chasing behind at a safe distance.

obv. your dog shouldn't be abled to handle anything she can't handle

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Dog parks are often lowest common denominator when it comes to rough play, because people don't recognize and call their dogs off when the others get stressed. I would reward a dog heavily for opting out rather than snarking, and just go for a walk instead if she's not enjoying the park. One on one playmates are a better bet for encouraging dog sociability.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Kluliss posted:

bag recommendations are based around "how much will the majority of dogs eat without being malnourished" so they tend to be really high because they're including super active dogs, dogs with high metabolisms, etc. The best way to keep your dog at a healthy weight is just to keep an eye on her and check her body condition regularly until you figure out what healthy looks like on your dog because it does vary a lot depending on breed, sex, and intact status. I have three GSDs and each one of them looks wildly different when they are fit.

An easy way to check your dogs weight: run your fingers over the back of your open hand just below the knuckles. You should be able to feel the bones quite easily - this is what your dog's ribs should feel like. Now rub your fingers across the palm of your hand below the knuckle. If your dogs ribs feel like this, it's overweight. If your dog's ribs feel like the palm of your hand below your thumb, it's probably obese.

Also like people, dogs tend to carry fat in typical places - the chest, back of the neck between the shoulders, and above the tail. Feel these areas. Overweight dogs tend to have jiggly fat deposits here. If a dog is at an appropriate weight you will be able to feel the sternum, shoulder blades, and hip bones quite easily. These are actually the spots on your girl that made me think she was overweight. Aside from these couple of areas though dog fat doesn't tend to be super jiggly like people fat, it has a more tight, solid feel over the ribs so it's easy to assume your dogs just a tank.

And just a heads up, it tends to be much more difficult to keep spayed females at a healthy weight. A lot of them will balloon up if you overfeed them even a tiny bit. If Kas and Heidi get even a little too much of their cup filled, they both turn into the staypuft man and it's really frustrating.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I noticed the German Shepherd Dog™ issues when I realized I have an Australian Cattle Dog™, although grammatically one could be pedantic about such things.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

I noticed the German Shepherd Dog™ issues when I realized I have an Australian Cattle Dog™, although grammatically one could be pedantic about such things.

dont mind me, being a reasonable human being itt took all my willpower and i dont have anyone around with a vegan dog, figured you could handle me being pedantic for a microsecond about something utterly stupid. :haw:

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
they're called "german shepherd dogs" because that's the direct translation from german (deutscher schäferhund). a german shepherd is a german dude who herds sheep

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

they're called "german shepherd dogs" because that's the direct translation from german (deutscher schäferhund). a german shepherd is a german dude who herds sheep

Keine fattie Hunde.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

SneakyFrog posted:

Keine dicker Hunde.

ftfy

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 14, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ausrotten posted:

So its kind of like people who own German cars? "No way brah, this isn't a 1995 328, it's an E36."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Kluliss posted:

Ok, yes, I get it, I was too defensive as has been pointed out by a fuckload of people before you got round to telling me how stupid I am so can we move on now? For some reason I thought this was a comedy forum rather than an arsehole one.
Some people think it's hilarious to be assholes, that's all.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I was about to say dont call me a dicker dicker.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Ausrotten posted:

Dog fat.txt

This is super informative and i appreciate you taking the time to help me understand that my dog is too fat. I have her a prod and yeah, she's going to hate me until she gets used to her new food level given that she does cupboard love rather well...she is not a cuddly dog unless she thinks you might feed her :-/

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Just like with people, aim for 1-2% of total body mass lost each week. I know you said weighing her isn't easy, but if you have a vet nearby they may be happy to help.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How do I keep my pooch from plateauing in his gains?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

How do I keep my pooch from plateauing in his gains?

take the choke chain off and teach it to hunt babies with a weighted vest like a proper murderdog

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

a life less posted:

Just like with people, aim for 1-2% of total body mass lost each week. I know you said weighing her isn't easy, but if you have a vet nearby they may be happy to help.

Fwiw Kluliss vets4pets is generally great for this. Every time I pass my local one with the dogs I pop in, weigh them, give them a few biscuits and pop back out

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

pookel posted:

Some people also post about their problem dogs then wildly backtrack and insist that there is no problem :3:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fraction posted:

Some people also post about their problem dogs then wildly backtrack and insist that there is no problem :3:

doesn't change the fact that some posters, while very knowledgeable about dogs try their very best to troll people asking legit questions.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Fraction posted:

Some people also like to infer wildly inaccurate assumptions about other people's pets based on limited information, too. :smuggo:

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
y'know if the advice people give you bothers you so much, maybe you should figure out how to solve your own problems instead of wasting everyone's time by posting about the same problem over and over and over again and then incessantly whining that people aren't telling you what you want to hear

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

pookel posted:

this isn't the yospos cat thread or the gip dog thread duder, if you want hand holding try elsewhere

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
i stg if some of yall spend half as much time working with your dogs as you do whining about how mean pi is, you'd have solved their behavioral problems by now

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
*says pointlessly mean things about dog*
"well wow man don't get defensive about people saying mean things about your dog :rolleyes: take some criticism"

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

FogHelmut posted:

Obviously depends on your individual dog but generally 40 lbs is good pet weight, 35 lbs is good sport/active weight for that size/breed of dog.

Go by look and feel first though, if she's trim with a tuck and a waist without a thick layer of fat I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

i stg if some of yall spend half as much time working with your dogs as you do whining about how mean pi is, you'd have solved their behavioral problems by now

yeah and if this pointless internet tough guy act was dropped by a select few users, this thread would be a whole lot more useful.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Not beating around the bush in PI is ~mean~ but tell someone to eat a bowl of dicks and die in so many words in any other subforum and it's daisies and in good fun. :rolleyes:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I don't particularly care about hand holding, but it's really loving weird how PI likes to latch onto a couple of random pieces of info and then start "answering" questions the poster never even asked while ignoring the questions they actually do ask.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Obviously depends on your individual dog but generally 40 lbs is good pet weight, 35 lbs is good sport/active weight for that size/breed of dog.

Go by look and feel first though, if she's trim with a tuck and a waist without a thick layer of fat I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale.

She's not fat, and I don't care if she is until she's done growing. I'm just wondering how big she will end up if she's 30 lbs now at 6 months. The internet says they stop growing at 12-16 months. But then I'm seeing ranges of weight on female border collies at 30-40 lbs. I dont see consistent info on the ACD - I'm seeing anywhere from 30-60 lbs. Her mother was the ACD, and she is built more like that, but with the border collie coloring.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

pookel posted:

I don't particularly care about hand holding, but it's really loving weird how PI likes to latch onto a couple of random pieces of info and then start "answering" questions the poster never even asked while ignoring the questions they actually do ask.

there's this concept of context that tends to be pretty valuable.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

FogHelmut posted:

She's not fat, and I don't care if she is until she's done growing. I'm just wondering how big she will end up if she's 30 lbs now at 6 months. The internet says they stop growing at 12-16 months. But then I'm seeing ranges of weight on female border collies at 30-40 lbs. I dont see consistent info on the ACD - I'm seeing anywhere from 30-60 lbs. Her mother was the ACD, and she is built more like that, but with the border collie coloring.

There's a fairly large range in ACD body types, I think that's why the ideal range is so wide. One thing I've noticed is that ACDs in the south, Texas in particular, are huge and tank-like (not fat, just solid), but ACDs from up north are smaller and quicker. Mine's 42 pounds and he was considered small in Texas, then I bring him up to the midwest and he's a huge tank dog compared to the little cattledogs up here. BCs are a little more consistent I think.

My 4 year old ACD/Aussie mix is 37 lbs fwiw. His vet ideally wants him down to 35 lbs while he's active in sports.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have you considered an exercise routine? Maybe free weights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

There's a fairly large range in ACD body types, I think that's why the ideal range is so wide. One thing I've noticed is that ACDs in the south, Texas in particular, are huge and tank-like (not fat, just solid), but ACDs from up north are smaller and quicker. Mine's 42 pounds and he was considered small in Texas, then I bring him up to the midwest and he's a huge tank dog compared to the little cattledogs up here. BCs are a little more consistent I think.

My 4 year old ACD/Aussie mix is 37 lbs fwiw. His vet ideally wants him down to 35 lbs while he's active in sports.

I see, great info. Fwiw she was shipped here to the shelter in California from Arkansas. I don't know why or if it's true. The woman running the shelter said someone else who originally started the shelter had moved there and would send over dogs from time to time. I don't know how that's reasonable, but whatever. I didn't pay for the plane ticket.