Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Dick Grayson but not so much as Robin. I guess it is an age thing, aside from TV adaptations he was already Nightwing by the time I was reading comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Drake is my favorite Robin but Damian went up from 'what is this, this is dumb, stop it DC' to 'alright I love this little shitbag' fast enough to earn him a close 2 spot.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Drake is my favorite Robin but Damian went up from 'what is this, this is dumb, stop it DC' to 'alright I love this little shitbag' fast enough to earn him a close 2 spot.

Right there with you. I remember there being a series of panels where Bruce himself concluded that Tim was the best for the job. Dick was always meant to grow out of it, obviously Jason failed wildly, but Tim was the best. He wanted the job. He never wanted to be Nightwing II or Batman or any of that. He just wanted to be Robin.

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair I'm going off this page which is one of if not the only time I've ever seen Jason Todd come across as a human being.

(This is from the Night of the Owls tie-in for RHATO.)

Well I will say, that is a very nice page. I don't know if New 52 Jason has tried to flat out kill the poo poo out of Tim as much as before all that. Things may be different. I've kinda stayed away from both Jason and Tim in the New 52 Bat books that I own, because I've only ever been told that Teen Titans and RHATO were both terrible.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That Detective Comics Villains Month comic with Harley Quinn might be legit the worst comic I've ever loving read.

Jesus Christ.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Her comedic main series started up right after that and has nothing to do with the character presented there (If you've never read the thing, she put bombs in childrens toys or something and the issue ended with explosions.)
I'm betting Palmiotti and Conner have said nothing about it, but it must've felt like a huge insult.

Matt Kindt's done fine work elsewhere, mostly at Vallient. Frankenstein with Jeff Lemire and him was pretty good early N52 comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 15, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tim Drake is not only the best Robin, he's best character in the Bat family period.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

X-O posted:

Tim Drake is not only the best Robin, he's best character in the Bat family period.

Now, now lets not say anything we would regret.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Flintstones looks super loving interesting.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/14/review-dc-comics-new-version-of-the-flintstones-is-more-mad-men-than-mad-max/
Sounds like it'll be an even bleaker social commentary couched in a funny book than he did in Prez.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The meta commentary on how nobody takes Aquaman seriously is so overdone at this point

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bullbar posted:

The meta commentary on how nobody takes Aquaman seriously is so overdone at this point

Is his new book somehow again about how he's a joke because he talks to fish? Is that now his default story?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

X-O posted:

Is his new book somehow again about how he's a joke because he talks to fish? Is that now his default story?

Yeah it literally says that people don't take him seriously because they think he talks to fish. Oh and wouldn't you know it but the Atlanteans don't take him seriously because he's half human or whatever

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/14/review-dc-comics-new-version-of-the-flintstones-is-more-mad-men-than-mad-max/
Sounds like it'll be an even bleaker social commentary couched in a funny book than he did in Prez.

Fred Flintstone by way of Don Draper...? gently caress it, I'm in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd completely forgotten about this book, are we also getting a Jetsons revamp?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Bullbar posted:

It's great because I bought Aquaman: Rebirth thinking "Golly, an Auquaman book? That's a rough sell for me, but Rebirth has been good to me so far!" and then the book proceeded to ask "Why in the gently caress did you buy me, Aquaman sucks?"

Fair point book, my bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'd completely forgotten about this book, are we also getting a Jetsons revamp?

Not yet. This, the Scooby-Doo post-apocalypse one, the Wacky Races-meets-Barb Wire thing, and Jeff Parker's Space Ghost/Birdman/Jonny Quest team-up are the only ones so far. But if Flintstones sells, I imagine Jetsons wouldn't be far behind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Not yet. This, the Scooby-Doo post-apocalypse one, the Wacky Races-meets-Barb Wire thing, and Jeff Parker's Space Ghost/Birdman/Jonny Quest team-up are the only ones so far. But if Flintstones sells, I imagine Jetsons wouldn't be far behind.

They've all sold out so far and have gone back for 2nd prints, for the time being the line is a hit so I hope we get a half dozen more crazy takes on this stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They've talked about the possibility of the comics meeting up, at least.
The time/space tears in Future Quest would probably facilitate that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Flintstones sounds pretty good from that article. I'll give it a shot. I always had a soft spot for that hokey show. Is Pebbles already born or are they doing that later? The show takes a nosedive after she's born.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Flintstones sounds pretty good from that article. I'll give it a shot. I always had a soft spot for that hokey show. Is Pebbles already born or are they doing that later? The show takes a nosedive after she's born.

From the covers, the kids are there as teens.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah neat. I'm not against Pebbles or anything. That was just the point where the show went from caveman Honeymooners to wacky hijinks with the Great Gazoo.

It's not too different from the Superman transition from Golden Age to Silver Age now that I think about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah neat. I'm not against Pebbles or anything. That was just the point where the show went from caveman Honeymooners to wacky hijinks with the Great Gazoo.

It's not too different from the Superman transition from Golden Age to Silver Age now that I think about it.

I'm hoping that Fred has a nervous breakdown and it's embodied by Gazoo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Did Black Canary get cancelled?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everything got cancelled.
Some things have a few more months left.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Canary is in Green Arrow and Birds of Prey now. Latter doesn't start until late July though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I'm hoping that Fred has a nervous breakdown and it's embodied by Gazoo.

The Fred Flintstone of Zur En Arrh!

"Imagination is the fifth dimension, dum dum."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

The Fred Flintstone of Zur En Arrh!

"Imagination is the fifth dimension, dum dum."

I'm inside a self assembling hyper cereal ad! And it's trying its best to destroy me!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Teenage Fansub posted:

I clicked that link expecting you to be joking and it to be a big 'this is stupid why do this' review but...yea gently caress man now I'm into this 2016 Flintstones reboot that explores the psychology of loving Bedrock.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have no idea how Mark Russell continues to get work at DC but I am glad he does. Between this and Prez the guy seems to be able to do whatever he wants.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Superman was great. Batman was not very good at all sadly. Tom King still has my faith that he'll pick it up because everything else I've read by him is great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Woof Green Lanterns stunk. Avoid.

e: I thought Batman was great. He spends the whole time rodeo-ing a plane.
Arrow was good again. I hope Superman's ending was a fakeout, like the scary clandestine meeting and Superman busting in is just from his kid POV and the next issue will open with "We're going to the JL satellite. Don't wake mom ;)" "Yay!"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 15, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Too late, I witnessed it with my own eyes. Now I must live with it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I liked batman. I hope Tom King continues NOT using internal dialog for Batman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I get that with double shipping sometimes you have to stretch things out, but the first issue consists of nothing but Batman on top of a plane. That would be fine for issue 14, but issue one needs a bit more substance.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

nothing but Batman on top of a plane.

Yeah! I enjoyed that a lot more than all the set up in Det.

I hope they dredge that amazing Batmobile up from the bottom of the ocean :ohdear:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 15, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Detective set the mission statement for the series. Batman is just a singular event and several eye rolling pages of Batman preparing to die and saying his goodbyes as if he's actually going to die, in the first issue of the series. It was not a good first issue.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

X-O posted:

I get that with double shipping sometimes you have to stretch things out, but the first issue consists of nothing but Batman on top of a plane. That would be fine for issue 14, but issue one needs a bit more substance.

I liked it for the reason you disliked it. :shrug:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Titans was good if you can get over Booth Art. Kind of what you'd expect out of basically a reunion special but there was some new stuff in there that's interesting.

Batman is 0 for 2 for me right now. Kinda disappointed on that one. The whole "WOULD MOM AND DAD BE PROUD HOW I DIE" thing was a bit thick for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I thought Batman was great. He spends the whole time rodeo-ing a plane.
Arrow was good again. I hope Superman's ending was a fakeout, like the scary clandestine meeting and Superman busting in is just from his kid POV and the next issue will open with "We're going to the JL satellite. Don't wake mom ;)" "Yay!"

Everything in this issue was sort of scary as it was Jon dealing with his powers and his new life. He thinks that he is going to be destroyed

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What happened to Superman's adopted son from the Phantom Zone? Bring that kid back, bring Kon-El back and stick him in the Lois/Clark household, and give me a six-year arc of a frazzled Clark Kent talking to Alfred for advice on raising a house full of dark-haired, blue-eyed, crimefighting boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Squizzle posted:

What happened to Superman's adopted son from the Phantom Zone? Bring that kid back, bring Kon-El back and stick him in the Lois/Clark household, and give me a six-year arc of a frazzled Clark Kent talking to Alfred for advice on raising a house full of dark-haired, blue-eyed, crimefighting boys.

Chris, much like Bart, are basically muscled out of their place in the universe for happenstance reasons.

I think Val-Zod, the black Superman in Earth 2, is supposed to be kind of an homage to a grown up version of Chris but who the gently caress wants to read Earth 2.