Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

If you knock em out, carry them away from patrol paths then drop them, kick them awake adn point a gun at them, they stay down FOREVER.

Until you set off an alarm, at least. I really love that mechanic, it's far and away the best way to dispose of enemies, but it requires your commitment to perfect stealth because one slip-up and suddenly you're surrounded by a ton of pissed-off bad guys.

Unrelated, I've been playing a lot of Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments lately, and I really appreciate one thing it does that most, if not all other games in the genre don't: it will just let you be wrong. The game has this extremely cool system where you find clues in the world, draw connections between them, and then the connections themselves will draw together to form possible solutions. A lot of these connections will lead to choices where you decide how to interpret the evidence, with each choice leading to different conclusions. For example, in the second case a train disappears seemingly in midair with a prototype invention and several representatives of a Brazilian company interested in purchasing the device aboard. One of the early choices is deciding whether the Brazilians were victims of a kidnapping or if they stole the device and engineered the disappearance to cover their tracks, each of which leads to different conclusions that will themselves branch off into different paths. Every case will have at least three, usually more, possible solutions. It's a great system, but too integral to the game itself to really be a "little thing." What I like is what happens when you close the case. You pick the solution you think is best, get a cutscene where Sherlock confronts the chosen suspect, Inspector Lestrade takes them away, and on the results screen you can press a button to see whether you were right or not and then either reload to an autosave of the moment you made the decision or just forge ahead to the next case anyway. So many games of this type just railroad you into the conclusion, knowing that you could actually be wrong really adds a nice sense of higher stakes.

Also the voice acting of the main characters is phenomenal. The actors doing both Watson and Holmes are great and they play off each other really well. The actor that does Holmes is especially good, he really nails the role. This isn't the best example but the best one I could find that wasn't also some type of spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBYXcVhz1dE&t=135s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rule One of every logo creator program: it will be used to draw penises.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

StandardVC10 posted:

There's even a penis in the bottom right. The game makes its own.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So I've been playing Kirby: Planet Robobot (big surprise), and in level 4-1, you find yourself in a desert. The first enemy you encounter gives the Whip power, which also gives you a cowboy hat. And there are forks in the background, presumably standins for cacti. Thing is, though, on that screen, there's pasta wound into the forks.

It's a spaghetti western. :v:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

That's a good way to suppress your vocal cord parasites

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

StandardVC10 posted:

Steambot Chronicles

see that music note on the trotmobile? it's a license plate that you can customize to make your own pixel art.

it's like they knew....

you still have the best emblem

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

Steambot Chronicles

see that music note on the trotmobile? it's a license plate that you can customize to make your own pixel art.

it's like they knew....

you still have the best emblem

Steambot Chronicles was a loving awesome game and here's something I loved about it; You could be evil. At several points in the story you can either join the bad guys, who are pretty much cartoonish saturday morning cartoon nazis with car robots, and if you're already with them re-join your friends who are understandably pissed that you're evil now. Oh and if you dress up in the villain's snazzy uniform you can walk around intimidating innocent bystanders.

The various endings of the game actually reflect your choices and have some pretty crazy impact on the post-game character interactions. In my case I wound up causing the villain to go nuts and cause a murder-suicide and then our band fell apart with half of them just becoming depressed homeless drifters because two of their BFFs just died and one was in jail

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
did u do the stock market stuff? I never got into it but I heard it's a way to do sidequests and unlock stuff in the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Steambot Chronicles without the tedium of every city being broken up by multiple loading screens and having to babysit half a dozen different fuel and durability meters during combat would be an incredible game.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Irt MGS 5 emblems:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I already love the logo for the new Resident Evil game. Driv3r and F.3.A.R. ain't got nothing on this.

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/742547710612492288

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

drat. That is slick.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I hadn't seen the Japanese logo yet, that's loving great.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Mierenneuker posted:

I already love the logo for the new Resident Evil game. Driv3r and F.3.A.R. ain't got nothing on this.

That worked out really well both ways. Good on 'em.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Steambot Chronicles without the tedium of every city being broken up by multiple loading screens and having to babysit half a dozen different fuel and durability meters during combat would be an incredible game.

Yeah the game had issues and I really wish it did well enough to get a sequel where they could have fixed some of them. The durability and fuel meters are pretty much a non-issue once you get a little ways into the game but the loading screens never stop.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

So how did the series get the name Resident Evil for western audiences? Biohazard is obvious. Resident Evil less so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe there was some trademark issue in America with the name Biohazard.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Even though Vermintide is essentially a bug-filled, RNG-hating, fantasy clone of Left 4 Dead, I love that you can go toe-to-toe with Rat Ogres and have a reasonable chance of winning.

As opposed to just backpedal'ing from the L4D Tank while you shoot it, you can slap the Ogre with a sword while blocking and dodging his attacks. You can actually reasonably defend yourself against a single hit from the Ogre, so while it is difficult to solo him it is possible.

Plus your dead teammates are forced to spectate you when they are dead, so you can even have a captive audience for your duel to the death! :black101:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Biohazard sounds something a Western company would make so they needed a random word salad to reach the target audience.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Canemacar posted:

So how did the series get the name Resident Evil for western audiences? Biohazard is obvious. Resident Evil less so.

If you try and ignore the immediate "those video games and movies" association, the title "Resident Evil" is pretty drat good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Biohazard was already the name of a metal band in the US

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Resident Evil sounds like a much smaller-scale horror story, like a slasher movie, haunted house, or psychological thriller, than the zombie apocalypses the games deal with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dr Christmas posted:

Resident Evil sounds like a much smaller-scale horror story, like a slasher movie, haunted house, or psychological thriller, than the zombie apocalypses the games deal with.

I mean, that was what the first game was selling, for the most part.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I mean, that was what the first game was selling, for the most part.

Good point. It does have a "evil that dwells here" vibe to it that works for the haunted mansion thing from the first.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In retrospect it's kind of amazing how the PlayStation generation was when video games really crossed over into mainstream considering how many titles were complete gibberish. See: Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII (how will I know what's happening if I didn't play the first six?!), etc.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Canemacar posted:

Good point. It does have a "evil that dwells here" vibe to it that works for the haunted mansion thing from the first.

The Evil Within, one might say? :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Polaron posted:

The Evil Within, one might say? :v:

We don't talk about that one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In the idle/tap game Infinite Growth, the game prevents your device from going to sleep. As a game that doesn't progress when it's not active, I legitimately like this because I can plug my tablet in, cover the screen with a t-shirt, and get a ton of progress without having to babysit the thing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah but tell us about a video game you played

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Dragonball Xenoverse everything revolving around Beerus is hilarious. In the first fight with him, over spilled pudding no less, Trunks laments that "GOD This fight started for the STUPIDEST POSSIBLE REASON!" as the fight progresses, then the villain tries to take over Beerus and make him blow up the world despite him promising not to if the fight was interesting. Beerus then throws the shot he's charging to his right, towards the primary villain and just scolds him with "DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT YOU COULD CONTROL THE GOD OF DESTRUCTION!" and you then team up with him to kick his rear end.

Then you get back to the nexus, where Beerus promises to kill the villain himself for that infraction, and when the Kai of Time warns him that that would destroy the entire nexus he responds with "I know. I'm the God of Destruction. Geez!" and then he makes a wager. If you beat him and his assistant, he will let you take centre stage and kill the villain. After the fight, he gets bored and decides to go home for a quick nap, commenting that "If the guy happens to be killed while I sleep, well, that will be a shame, but inevitable I suppose.." buying them some time, and his assistant clarifies that Beerus sleeps for 50 years at a time, so they're basically good.

Just a hilarious character.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It's the Evil within residence of the first mansion. The Resident is Evil itself.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

In Dragonball Xenoverse everything revolving around Beerus is hilarious. In the first fight with him, over spilled pudding no less, Trunks laments that "GOD This fight started for the STUPIDEST POSSIBLE REASON!" as the fight progresses, then the villain tries to take over Beerus and make him blow up the world despite him promising not to if the fight was interesting. Beerus then throws the shot he's charging to his right, towards the primary villain and just scolds him with "DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT YOU COULD CONTROL THE GOD OF DESTRUCTION!" and you then team up with him to kick his rear end.

Then you get back to the nexus, where Beerus promises to kill the villain himself for that infraction, and when the Kai of Time warns him that that would destroy the entire nexus he responds with "I know. I'm the God of Destruction. Geez!" and then he makes a wager. If you beat him and his assistant, he will let you take centre stage and kill the villain. After the fight, he gets bored and decides to go home for a quick nap, commenting that "If the guy happens to be killed while I sleep, well, that will be a shame, but inevitable I suppose.." buying them some time, and his assistant clarifies that Beerus sleeps for 50 years at a time, so they're basically good.

that sounds incredibly obnoxious and exasperating. then again I'm not a dragon ball fan

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Mirror's Edge Catalyst lets you fast travel whenever, none of this "you can't fast travel when in combat" palaver.

Aesthetically I really like how each area of the city has its own colour accent to distinguish them when you're running around.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm in the beta for the new World of Warcraft expansion, Legion, and there is a group you interact with called the Nightfallen. Basically elf tweakers who have been cut off from their supply of mana. If they don't get mana, they devolve into mindless husks. Part of your interaction with them involves giving them ancient mana you collect in the zone. If they have mana in their "supply", they stand upright and are eloquent. If they run out, they're hunched over, scratching at their necks and arms, and won't talk. Giving them mana in this state causes them to slowly come out of that state and stand back upright. They're also all very skinny compared to their "well-fed" bad guy counterparts.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I just completed one of the funniests side-quests I've seen yet in the Witcher 3 - spoilers below for the quest "Tower outta Nowheres"

Short version is you go into a tower and find a mage who's trapped behind a magic wall. He tells you he bought the tower used but the security system doesn't recognize him and thus trapped him and spawned all sorts of monsters. So you have to find a book with the magic spell to free him and disable the security. The first funny bit is that you fight a couple of waves of monsters that spawn out of portals, each more tough than the last - ghouls, gargoyles and then a werewolf. And when you finish of the Werewolf and you're licking your wounds another portal opens and out comes an ordinary cow. Obviously a homage to the Cow Level in Diablo. Then you find the book to disable the security system which is called the Defensive Regulatory Magicon (DRM) and the book is called "Gottfried's Omni-opening Grimoire" (GOG). So you use GOG to disable DRM, allowing the new owner to enjoy his tower without security going ballistic.

Thinking about it still has me chuckling.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SciFiDownBeat posted:

that sounds incredibly obnoxious and exasperating. then again I'm not a dragon ball fan

Beerus is a cat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Beerus is a cat.

One of those hairless cats, specifically.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Beerus is the only good thing to come out of this godawful Dragonball revival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So Final Fantasy XIV has a new campaign where you can buy 20 dollars of video game poo poo (or pre-order a video game and then cancel the order) and you get a bunch of items. A butler suit, a maid outfit, some masks that look like bosses. And, importantly, the fat chocobo mount.

Holy poo poo look at this big bastard. You motivate it to run with cabbage on a string, every step he gasps for breath and tries to bite at the vegitable, when he jumps his stubby little legs flail about and his tiny wings flap uselessly and his whole body just jiggles forever. It is the best mount in the game and I will never not laugh at it. Also it wears a tiny pope hat! It's the fat chocopope!