Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

never happy posted:

Does anybody have a copy of the original article released before they took it down? I'd like to see how it compares with what they have now. I'm sure there's no conspiracy, but it is hilarious how an article critical of the Irvings, the same Irvings who have gone to lengths controlling journalism in New Brunswick, would go through suspicious changes.

When did it first run? You can look for it on https://archive.org if you know the approximate date it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

P-Value Hack posted:

No kidding, Syrian prison doesn't need another autistic goon poster trapped in there

cato is free

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When was the last time Canada classified something as a genocide while it was happening, instead of after the fact?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Tory MP Urged Feds To Reclassify AR-15

HuffPo posted:

Lawful firearm owners should be allowed to use the rifle outside of a shooting range and "once again use this rifle to lawfully participate in the Canadian cultural practices of hunting in Canada," Zimmer told the Commons.

In a radio interview last month, Zimmer said the AR-15 is a "completely innocuous firearm" when it is handled safely.

"I support [the petition] because, essentially, a semi-automatic long-arm should not be restricted and that's the essence of the petition," Zimmer is quoted telling CFRA, a local Ottawa station. "Firearms should be normalized, to a certain extent. We understand that they can be operated safely, and they're operated safely in Canada year after year after year, especially with our rigorous licensing regime, and the like."

So it's mostly tone-deaf in retrospect, but I'm honestly curious what the hell hunters would want with a civilian M-16. Is vapourized moose a delicacy?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

infernal machines posted:

When did it first run? You can look for it on https://archive.org if you know the approximate date it came out.

It originally ran March 8th, archive.org has a snapshot here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vyelkin posted:

When was the last time Canada classified something as a genocide while it was happening, instead of after the fact?

I think the wild rose wanted notely's war on the global price of oil and albertan traditions of child labour classified as a genocide on the scale of the holodomor

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Albino Squirrel posted:

So it's mostly tone-deaf in retrospect, but I'm honestly curious what the hell hunters would want with a civilian M-16. Is vapourized moose a delicacy?

You can't hunt with AR-15, it's restricted which means it's a gun range toy only. It wouldn't vapourize a moose at all, most people would consider it too weak to be an ethical weapon for moose. It's not even legal for deer in Alberta, too small.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 15, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Shut your mouth I'll hunt deer with my cz858 wearing a balaclava if I want to :argh:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Apparently they're used for hunting feral hogs in Texas, but I'm pretty sure that's because it's Texas and not because it's an ideal weapon for that purpose.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canada is great at preventing genocide

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

P-Value Hack posted:

No kidding, Syrian prison doesn't need another autistic goon poster trapped in there

well they might need another one now

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Albino Squirrel posted:

They just want to make believe they're Americans ready to defend themselves from potential undesirables. There is really no sane reason to want to own a semi-automatic rifle.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PittTheElder posted:

They just want to make believe they're Americans ready to defend themselves from potential undesirables. There is really no sane reason to want to own a semi-automatic rifle.

There are plenty of semi-auto rifles in Canada that are non-restricted and can be used for hunting, so I find it interesting that the AR-15 has gotten so much support from this petition that Zimmer presented (25k signatures). It sounds a bit tone-deaf at first, but keep in mind the petition was presented to Parliament a month ago. The government's formal response is due at the end of the month, 45 days after the presentation of the petition in the house.

Obviously, they're not going to do anything. The AR-15 isn't going to be unrestricted any time soon.

Also, the latest is that the gun used in Orlando was a Sig Sauer MCX, which is still restricted in Canada and is not mentioned in the AR-15 petition.

Ikantski posted:

You can't hunt with AR-15, it's restricted which means it's a gun range toy only. It wouldn't vapourize a moose at all, most people would consider it too weak to be an ethical weapon for moose. It's not even legal for deer in Alberta, too small.

If I'm not mistaken, restricted firearms are also limited to 5 bullet mags, and you need permission from the RCMP to transport them (or was that last thing struck down with the LGR?)

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

PT6A posted:

Why would you vote against that motion? It's meaningless, but I don't see the point in holding out against a motion that basically says "ISIS is bad, m'kay"

because then dion would have to fumble like an idiot trying to explain yet again why the sanctity of government contracts trumps the fact we're selling weapons to a group of genociders ideological bffs

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Leofish posted:

If I'm not mistaken, restricted firearms are also limited to 5 bullet mags, and you need permission from the RCMP to transport them (or was that last thing struck down with the LGR?)

Yep, restricted and non restricted semi auto long guns are limited to 5. Handguns are 10. Pump shotgun, no limit.

You still need ATT to transport restricted although C42 made it simpler by attaching the ATT to your license instead of each individual firearm.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Ikantski posted:

Yep, restricted and non restricted semi auto long guns are limited to 5. Handguns are 10. Pump shotgun, no limit.

You still need ATT to transport restricted although C42 made it simpler by attaching the ATT to your license instead of each individual firearm.

Interesting that handguns get 10, considering they're all restricted until they get too small, at which point they're banned. Does it have to do with the caliber of the rounds?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Leofish posted:

There are plenty of semi-auto rifles in Canada that are non-restricted and can be used for hunting, so I find it interesting that the AR-15 has gotten so much support from this petition that Zimmer presented (25k signatures). It sounds a bit tone-deaf at first, but keep in mind the petition was presented to Parliament a month ago. The government's formal response is due at the end of the month, 45 days after the presentation of the petition in the house.

:bahgawd: "It's substantially similar to other legal rifles."

So then use one of them. Sheesh.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Leofish posted:

Interesting that handguns get 10, considering they're all restricted until they get too small, at which point they're banned. Does it have to do with the caliber of the rounds?

No idea what the logic was, it was part of a package of laws made in the early 90s as a reaction to polytechnique.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

jm20 posted:

Shut your mouth I'll hunt deer with my cz858 wearing a balaclava if I want to :argh:

Whoa Mr. rich pants, why can't you just enjoy an m305 like the rest of us?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The last gun I'd want for hunting is an AR-15. Sure it's super accurate but the super high tolerances mean you gotta clean it way more often, the round is so small it's not very effective for game (or people for that matter) and overall it's expensive for what you get.

That being said making civilian AR-15s restricted makes about as much sense as making any gun restricted based on the criteria of 'it looks scary and it's popular with the murdering types'.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Every time I get close to grudgingly accepting Michelle Rempel as my MP

https://twitter.com/MichelleRempel/status/742800051689381889

I do like the tacit acceptance of the unbroken Trudeau legacy that sits upon the iron throne forevermore but it's seriously unclassy to bring your opponent's 2 year old kid into it.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

EvilJoven posted:

The last gun I'd want for hunting is an AR-15. Sure it's super accurate but the super high tolerances mean you gotta clean it way more often, the round is so small it's not very effective for game (or people for that matter)

Yeah bro Omar Mateen shoulda just used a PP-10A with the 8X3 reloader and an ALR scope mounted, like the one i have, and then he woulda killed so many more people!!

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
Theres two things that i think everyone needs to remember when they're trying to process the recent tragedy in florida:

1). guns dont kill people, people kill people

2). AR-15s especially don't kill people, i mean, lmao, what was that guy thinking, i could kill 50 gay people with a freakin butter knife

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

:bahgawd: "It's substantially similar to other legal rifles."

So then use one of them. Sheesh.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking too, but apparently 25,000 Canadians really want to kill animals with ARs and not Rugers or whatever.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Gun hobbyists are literally manchildren. The paradox with these beta cuckolds is that for all their testosterone charged bluster they can't stop whining like girls whenever there is a perceived threat that they will have to take a time out because one of them decided to kill a bunch of people

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamaraCDA/status/743088986009264128

Turns out the Boomers were right. Trudeau is the fault of those terrible Millennials! :bahgawd:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Theres two things that i think everyone needs to remember when they're trying to process the recent tragedy in florida:

1). guns dont kill people, people kill people

Agreed. Gun owner control is needed, not gun control. Preemptively lock up all gun owners.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cougar cub posted:

Whoa Mr. rich pants, why can't you just enjoy an m305 like the rest of us?

If you tone down your truck equity you can afford the finer things in life :wotwot:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Agreed. Gun owner control is needed, not gun control. Preemptively lock up all gun owners.

I'm thinking Theodore Thomas's "Test", but with guns.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
All semi-auto guns and all magazines should be banned. The only guns allowed should be those that require manual chambering of every single round.

If you're on the range it doesn't matter, you'll be more accurate.

If you're hunting it doesn't matter, if you miss a shot your target is now gone anyways.

If you're murdering people you get one shot before people can take you down.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Ban everything but blunderbusses

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Gun hobbyists are literally manchildren. The paradox with these beta cuckolds is that for all their testosterone charged bluster they can't stop whining like girls whenever there is a perceived threat that they will have to take a time out because one of them decided to kill a bunch of people

I unironically agree 100% with CI.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
By God, if Brown Bess was good enough for my great-great-great-great-grandpappy, she's good enough for me! :bahgawd:

There are actually a few reasons why someone might want to hunt with a semi-automatic - ergonomics, especially for people with musculoskeletal problems, is a very big one. Hell, that's true even for lefties. The design also lessens recoil. Easily swapped parts allow for convenient changes to things like length of pull or optics without having to pay an arm and a leg. In the real world, where some hunters have crappy aim, the easy follow-up might be helpful and change a wounding to a kill.

In my opinion the big danger here, at least with respect to spree killings, is from the combination of semi-automatic fire, intermediate-power cartridges and high-capacity, easily swapped magazines. They are just a step short (selective fire capability) of a military assault rifle. Those features reinforce each other very well (small rounds allow for big magazines and lightweight carry of extras, low recoil from intermediate rounds allows for lots of follow-up shots quickly and accurately, etc) and make the whole thing more dangerous by allowing for a huge amount of shooting to take place all at once.

I think that semi-automatic rifles should probably be restricted down to sporting designs without easily replaced/modified magazines (for example, the Browning BAR, Remington 750, Benelli R1, etc.) and generally restricted to either low-power rimfire rounds or full-power hunting rounds. Maybe an exception could be made for military antiques such as the M1 Garand and the civilian versions of the M14.

Of course it's important not to lose sight of the fact that, in the big world of gun violence, scary black guns usually aren't involved. Most gun deaths are suicides, where follow-up shots, let alone mag swapping, are out of the question, and most of the homicides are one on one where one sort of hard-to-conceal long gun is really just as good or bad as any other.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 15, 2016

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Speaking of guns...

Drive-by shooting in Sooke.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

All semi-auto guns and all magazines should be banned. The only guns allowed should be those that require manual chambering of every single round.

If you're hunting it doesn't matter, if you miss a shot your target is now gone anyways.

But this doesn't address my unending feelings of inadequacy and insatiable bloodlust???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Six years later, G20 justice is served.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Trees and Squids posted:

But this doesn't address my unending feelings of inadequacy and insatiable bloodlust???

In a country where you can run into dangerous game such as bears, cougars and angry moose, you'd be stupid to bring a non-repeating rifle to the woods. There's a reason why hunters (those who could afford to, anyway) spent mega bucks on double-barrelled rifles before reliable high-powered repeaters were developed.

Also, from a practical perspective, banning nearly all of Canada's millions of guns in circulation would be a terrible idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

David Corbett posted:

Also, from a practical perspective, banning nearly all of Canada's millions of guns in circulation would be a terrible idea.

Just ban the sale of most ammo, you can get a permit if you hand back your now-restricted guns. Doesn't make criminals out of anyone or take anything away, just restricts going forward. Same way we didn't seize leaded gasoline.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

David Corbett posted:

In a country where you can run into dangerous game such as bears, cougars and angry moose, you'd be stupid to bring a non-repeating rifle to the woods. There's a reason why hunters (those who could afford to, anyway) spent mega bucks on double-barrelled rifles before reliable high-powered repeaters were developed.

Yeah, I mean how else will people defend themselves when the AmericansRussiansChinese ISIS invades!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

cowofwar posted:

There's already a ban on detachable magazines for rifles, 5 rds maximum. You can do just as much damage with a 10 round bolt-action hunting rifle as you can with a 5-round semi-auto rifle.

Manual chambering of every single round? That means that, pretty much, every bolt-action firearm from 1900-onwards is now illegal. Everything from the Mauser to Lee-Enfield to Mosin-Nagant load from an internal magazine.

Did you know that in the First World War, the British were famous for something called "The Mad Minute"? Essentially It means their infantry with bolt-action rifles were able to get a round off every 2 seconds for a full minute, including reloads. The Germans thought they were under machine-gun fire the first time they ran into it.

No matter what the restrictions, dedicated assholes will find a way around it. Illegally import a mag from the US. Break a seer off of a trigger group. Tie a piece of string to a trigger to make it full-auto.

I AM NOT SAYING THE AR-15 SHOULD BE UNRESTRICTED absolutely not. But to automatically make every magazine loading bolt action rifle illegal is not reasonably going to happen, ever.