Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That just reminds me of how awkward the kissing was in Beyond: Two Souls. The character faces didn't interact with each other at all so it was like two dolls just rubbing up against one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

grate deceiver posted:

I did it.

My fave moment was when the police lady catches up to the psycho serial killer that she's been tracking for most of the game, he says "Sorry, it was magical mayans all along", and she's all "Welp, guess I'm helping you now. Also, we're loving". Somehow in all the time I've been hearing about this dumb game, no one ever mentioned low poly pixel loving. Kinda disappointed that it wasn't a qte to be honest.

Trust me on this one, buckaroos. Not worth playing even for free, just watch some nerd suffer through it on youtube or something.

The original US version was censored to remove the sex scenes, for the better.

Even for the narrative issues I still wind up playing through Indigo Prophecy every few years because it's still such a novelty and I still find new stuff in it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The first time I played Indigo Prophecy I got a game over in the first five minutes because I took an aspirin next to my bed then drank some leftover wine in the kitchen and died.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

im pooping! posted:

The first time I played Indigo Prophecy I got a game over in the first five minutes because I took an aspirin next to my bed then drank some leftover wine in the kitchen and died.

This is like the one inspired section the game has.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MiddleOne posted:

This is like the one inspired section the game has.

That's like looking at the ceiling of the sistine chapel and only admiring one corner of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I got the demo on a disc with some magazine (oh my god I'm so old) and it was pretty cool. It was just the part where you're in the diner and have to hide the evidence, followed by the part where you're the cops looking for evidence. Seeing how you could change the second chapter in the first got me hyped as gently caress.

Then the game came out and didn't live up to that at all, though it was still fun seeing how batshit crazy it got towards the end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BillmasterCozb posted:

ahahaha that's not even the worst of it..unless you're in Riptide, then yeah it probably is

I dunno I thought Riptide was a lot better than the original. The driving is kind of hilarious when you just drive through masses of zombies. It's just a shame they limit the places you can actually drive so hard.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

im pooping! posted:

That sounds incredible.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

I dunno I thought Riptide was a lot better than the original. The driving is kind of hilarious when you just drive through masses of zombies. It's just a shame they limit the places you can actually drive so hard.

No, I meant that the driving in Riptide isn't that bad, because the first game does something much much worse

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

poo poo, I kinda wish you could've gotten a game over in the very first screen by doing something like "your running around in the bathroom like an idiot attracted someone's attention, which let them walk in on the dead dude before you could hide him".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Logistics-based games (I'm not sure how else to describe them; games whose core gameplay is to grow materials, refine them, and sell them to people for in-game fun and profit) always drag down for me, in the end, because of something that isn't really fair to them, since few people sperg out on them as much as I do.

Since the core gameplay is growing, refining, and selling materials, eventually it gets to the point where I can't keep track of what I'm growing for what reasons very easily. Sure, it's easy when everything wants Thing B (which is made by combining two Thing As), but it gets more annoying when three people want Thing C, Thing D, Thing E (which comes out to 5 Thing Xs, 2 Thing Ys, and four Thing Zs), it's been four hours since I loaded the game, and I'm going to be behind because I used all my Thing Ys to make Thing J.

I wish there was some sort of generalized program/app for this kinda thing (I input "what are the raw materials required for these items", it spits out a list), but because nobody spergs out about games like I do, nobody does it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That sounds like my experience with Factorio. I had to just give up because automating end-game stuff was too complicated for my small brain.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
these games don't have a quest log to keep track of who wants what?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

poo poo, I kinda wish you could've gotten a game over in the very first screen by doing something like "your running around in the bathroom like an idiot attracted someone's attention, which let them walk in on the dead dude before you could hide him".

Pretty sure you can and there's a bunch of ways that could go wrong. If you fail to hide the body at all, if you don't mop up the blood and wash your hands, if you just run out without eating or paying, etc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

these games don't have a quest log to keep track of who wants what?

They usually have only a top level log, not a bottom line log. So they have this:

quote:

Bob wants a Cookie
Bill wants 2x Bread, 4x Butter
Mary wants 4x Milk, 3x Cookie

But nothing like this:

quote:

To make 4x Cookie, 4x Milk, 4x Butter, and 2x Bread, you'll need to grow: 24x wheat and 12x Corn.

I wish these games (or there were programs/apps) had the latter, because I'm generally forced to keep all of it in my head and I'll either eyeball it wrong or forget what all this damned wheat was for in 6 hours.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

They usually have only a top level log, not a bottom line log. So they have this:

But nothing like this:

I wish these games (or there were programs/apps) had the latter, because I'm generally forced to keep all of it in my head and I'll either eyeball it wrong or forget what all this damned wheat was for in 6 hours.

The Hero Of The Kingdom games are fun timewasters, but I totally have this problem with them all the drat time, it's really annoying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MisterBibs posted:

But nothing like this:

I kind of agree and think if more games had that kind of thing built in it'd be a really nice quality of life thing, even if you don't use it all the time. Like even a game like Rune Factory or something you need a lot of high end materials to make good swords. So you need to make lower materials to turn into those higher materials and such. So it'd be nice to have a log or something in-game to track so I wouldn't have to write it down in wordpad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Another Wolfenstein: The New Order thing: Why does this game keep taking all my weapons away? Every time, I'll just be getting into it, just have my arsenal built up to the point that I'm starting to enjoy myself, and suddenly there's a tedious cutscene followed by me having no loving weapons again!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tiggum posted:

Another Wolfenstein: The New Order thing: Why does this game keep taking all my weapons away? Every time, I'll just be getting into it, just have my arsenal built up to the point that I'm starting to enjoy myself, and suddenly there's a tedious cutscene followed by me having no loving weapons again!

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter did this each time you teleported to a different era. It was dumb and bad. But I guess the devs realized this since you usually wound up getting back half your guns in the very beginning of the new stage. And I don't mean they're hidden or anything, like they're just sitting right there in the open so you just need to pick'em up. Still, lame and bad and you don't get the best guns back right away.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MisterBibs posted:

But nothing like this:

Let me introduce you to the magic of excel spreadsheets, they let you easily writ down the information you learn form the game so you don't have to cheat by looking it up on wikis, and it let's you make your own resource calculators with barely any effort.

Word of warning though if you let it go too far you'll start playing by looking more at the sheet than the game. I had to stop playing Stardew Valley because of that. Sorry granddad your farm turned into an industrial opium operation.

Hel has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Jun 15, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

Let me introduce you to the magic of excel spreadsheets, they let you easily writ down the information you learn form the game so you don't have to cheat by looking it up on wikis, and it let's you make your own resource calculators with barely any effort.

As someone who has made a genuine effort to try this multiple times, you're drastically underestimating the level of Excel Fu required for a resource calculator.

Your analogy about Stardew Valley is exactly what drags games other games down. Stardew Valley is popular enough that there's people out there who have those skills to make spreadsheets and calculators for the bulk of us that can't. Other games? You're SOL.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MisterBibs posted:

As someone who has made a genuine effort to try this multiple times, you're drastically underestimating the level of Excel Fu required for a resource calculator.

Your analogy about Stardew Valley is exactly what drags games other games down. Stardew Valley is popular enough that there's people out there who have those skills to make spreadsheets and calculators for the bulk of us that can't. Other games? You're SOL.

A basic resource calculator in excel only needs the basic four math operations plus some parentheses, that's not exactly high level excel knowledge, the only excel stuff that really helps is clicking cells to add them to your current formula and dragging to copy the next row with everything adjusted. If you make one as you play the game it's a few seconds for every new unlocked item.
I could make one with basic high school math and a 5 min intro to excel from my mom, sure it's not going to be pretty but it's a lot better than waiting for nerds on the internet to make one for me.
It's exactly the thing excel is made for not a loving flightsim.

Edit: Or did you try making a super fancy one with drop-down menus, conditions and stuff?

Hel has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jun 15, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I did it.

My fave moment was when the police lady catches up to the psycho serial killer that she's been tracking for most of the game, he says "Sorry, it was magical mayans all along", and she's all "Welp, guess I'm helping you now. Also, we're loving". Somehow in all the time I've been hearing about this dumb game, no one ever mentioned low poly pixel loving. Kinda disappointed that it wasn't a qte to be honest.

Trust me on this one, buckaroos. Not worth playing even for free, just watch some nerd suffer through it on youtube or something.

Why did you finish the game if you didn't like it?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

Edit: Or did you try making a super fancy one with drop-down menus, conditions and stuff?

It needs to be a working resource calculator where I punch in the number of finalized goods, and it spits out the number of raw materials. You claiming it's easy and effortless is not true. The fact that most of these games I'm talking about don't have one should be a testament to your undervaluing of the skills required to do it.

The fact that other people have posted in agreement with regards to this sort of thing should be a hint that "oh, just make a spreadsheet" isn't a workable solution.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

It needs to be a working resource calculator where I punch in the number of finalized goods, and it spits out the number of raw materials. You claiming it's easy and effortless is not true. The fact that most of these games I'm talking about don't have one should be a testament to your undervaluing of the skills required to do it.

The fact that other people have posted in agreement with regards to this sort of thing should be a hint that "oh, just make a spreadsheet" isn't a workable solution.

What? You don't need to visit a goddamn shaman, just make a cell for your final goods, then cells for raw materials where you tell it to multiply final goods by however many of each widget you need per final good.

Seriously, it's easy. If A1 is your final goods cell, go to B1 and put in =(A1*X), where X is the number of widgets you need for one final good. If your final good takes more than one type of widget, in B2 and below, use the same formula with different values for X. Boom, you've got a nice column where each row tells you how many of each type of widget you need for any value of final good, and no magic was necessary.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Were it so simple as "multiply X times 2", we wouldn't be discussing this. Maybe you guys make these sort of complicated spreadsheets all the time, but I don't and I'm just going to keep rejecting the notion that they are easy to do. Maybe you didn't dread math class, but a lot of us did.

The crux of the issue is that I can do what I want on a piece of paper (list what goods I need, break them down to their components, break them down to their components, break them down to their raw materials, highlight each raw material along the way so I don't miss one), but that's a one-time deal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

Were it so simple as "multiply X times 2", we wouldn't be discussing this. Maybe you guys make these sort of complicated spreadsheets all the time, but I don't and I'm just going to keep rejecting the notion that they are easy to do. Maybe you didn't dread math class, but a lot of us did.

The crux of the issue is that I can do what I want on a piece of paper (list what goods I need, break them down to their components, break them down to their components, break them down to their raw materials, highlight each raw material along the way so I don't miss one), but that's a one-time deal.

Man, your defeatist attitude is keeping you from figuring this out more than anything else. I make maybe one spreadsheet a month and it's usually a list of poo poo I just need sorted, so don't think I'm some kind of spreadsheet genie. And I'm balls at math and always have been, but here's the cool part--I can afford to be awful at math because the software does the math for me.

What's killing me is that you're so drat close to what you need and you keep fighting tooth and nail to not get there. If you've got what you want drawn out on paper, you're seriously like 90% of the way there. All you need to do is take that information and feed it to Excel, and then you can enjoy not wasting any more paper.

Keep it simple at first and work with one finished good at a time. My finished good (from a fake example game) is a House. I know Houses take Lumber, Fittings, Bricks, and Glass. A1 will be how many Houses I want to build. B1 through B4 will be the components, using the formula =(A1*X) in each one, where X is how much of each thing I need.

When that's done, I move on to those goods. Each of them is built of other goods, so I move over to column C and get to work. Lumber (which I put in B1) takes Wood and Tools, so I put them in C1 and C2 with a similar formula: =(B1*X) where X is how many Wood or Tools I need. Fittings take Ingots and Firewood, so C3 and C4 are =(B2*X), where X is Ingots or Firewood.

Continue in this fashion until you have your Lumber, Fittings, Bricks, and Glass taken care of. Now, Wood and Tools are comprised of other things, so we'll put them in column D...

etc. etc. and so on. Use the map you drew to fill it all in, and when you get it done, you can put a number in your finished goods cell and it will tell you at every step of the process how much of each item you will need. It will be one of the ugliest and most inelegant spreadsheets in existence, but I promise you it'll work. Once you've verified that it's correct, you can worry about adding labels and color-coding and stuff to make it more readable, but what will be in front of you is a basic, barebones resource calculator that you created (mostly) all by yourself to suit your needs.

This is far from the only way to put something like this together, so once you get the hang of the basics, feel free to experiment and try other layouts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MisterBibs posted:

seems like the thing dragging a lot of things down is that you're demonstrably stupid as poo poo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Keep it simple at first and work with one finished good at a time. My finished good (from a fake example game) is a House. I know Houses take Lumber, Fittings, Bricks, and Glass. A1 will be how many Houses I want to build. B1 through B4 will be the components, using the formula =(A1*X) in each one, where X is how much of each thing I need.

When that's done, I move on to those goods. Each of them is built of other goods, so I move over to column C and get to work. Lumber (which I put in B1) takes Wood and Tools, so I put them in C1 and C2 with a similar formula: =(B1*X) where X is how many Wood or Tools I need. Fittings take Ingots and Firewood, so C3 and C4 are =(B2*X), where X is Ingots or Firewood.

Continue in this fashion until you have your Lumber, Fittings, Bricks, and Glass taken care of. Now, Wood and Tools are comprised of other things, so we'll put them in column D...

At least we're finally agreeing on the whole "this is complicated spreadsheet stuff that I wish already existed" thing.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but chances are it was played when it came out and was pretty ambitious like most Cage games, even if the execution was poor. Cage simply didn't have enough money to make what he wanted so most likely the guy didn't enjoy the game in retrospect, because we're now conditioned to know and expect better(but not necessarily from David Cage).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My thing dragging down Excel is that they did away with the groovy flight sim Easter egg.

Please stop trying to educate MisterBibs, if an entire school system failed him this badly what hope does someone on the Internet have?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Could someone put together a quick Google docs spreadsheet for misterbibs to get him to shut up about excel?

I use excel to calculate how many bullets it takes to kill cazadores

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I just spent 8 hours working with spreadsheets at the office, time to relax and unwind by making even more spreadsheets :yum:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

To make a Hache in Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together requires a poleaxe, a steel ingot, wootz steel, and a dust orb. the pole axe itself requires a steel ingot, wootz steel, baobawood, and a verdant gem.

A steel ingot requires 2 iron ingots and 1 graphite. Graphite is made from inferior ore. Iron ingots are made from 3 iron ore, which are themselves 2 inferior ores.

Wootz Steel needs 2 steel and 2 baldur ingots. baldur ingots require baldur ore, silver ingots, and Krystallos Ore. Baldur ore is two more inferior ore. Silver ingots are 3 silver ore which is 3 inferior ore each. Krystallos is another baldur ore.

A dust orb is 3 earth krystallos, which are 2 krystallos ore each. The verdant gems are 2 gemstones each. Baobawood is 4 logs.

I started out making a point about complicated crafting systems but I ended up ranting about LUCT's crafting system again, since these items have to be crafted one-by-one and there's a significant failure chance on some of the steps like the dust orb and the wootz steel.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Mafia II seems alright so far, but the minimap/radar is horrible. The first mission in the game includes a tutorial on stealing cars and cleaning them, but the radar is so tight, and doesn't zoom out, so cops will notice you before they even show up on the radar. Also, there are so many cops all over the place. It seems like it should take 5 minutes, tops, to get to one of the many body shops in the city, but it took me 15 minutes because there was always a cop that appeared in between me and the body shop, forcing me onto another merry chase. Also, because it's literally the first mission, it's really unlikely that any first-time player would have a good idea of the city layout and how to effectively lose the cops. I don't think any of the GTA games throw you into police chases without giving the player a chance to drive around a little bit, first. It's a really weird thing to start the game off with.

Mafia II also has the really weird decision to accept Xinput, but not use ABXY. All the buttons are labeled B1, B2, etc., like a DirectInput controller. It takes me a couple of moments to remember what button is mapped to which function, which has gotten me killed a couple of times already.

Inco has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Jun 16, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

At least we're finally agreeing on the whole "this is complicated spreadsheet stuff that I wish already existed" thing.
Are you being serious right now? Do you just go into a blind panic whenever you see the word "spreadsheet"?

Inco posted:

Mafia II seems alright so far, but the minimap/radar is horrible. The first mission in the game includes a tutorial on stealing cars and cleaning them, but the radar is so tight, and doesn't zoom out, so cops will notice you before they even show up on the radar. Also, there are so many cops all over the place. It seems like it should take 5 minutes, tops, to get to one of the many body shops in the city, but it took me 15 minutes because there was always a cop that appeared in between me and the body shop, forcing me onto another merry chase. Also, because it's literally the first mission, it's really unlikely that any first-time player would have a good idea of the city layout and how to effectively lose the cops. I don't think any of the GTA games throw you into police chases without giving the player a chance to drive around a little bit, first. It's a really weird thing to start the game off with.
I think I remember playing the first game once, and I think it started out in pretty much the same way. And then the second or third mission was your first gunfight, miles away from anywhere so it took you ages to drive there, and you had to re-drive there every time you died, which you would several times because again, it was not going at all easy on you because you don't know what you're doing yet.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

if ur not chronically hysterical ur doing it wrong

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Are you being serious right now? Do you just go into a blind panic whenever you see the word "spreadsheet"?

As someone who frequently dabbles in extensive accounting I feel that 'blind panic' is the rational and correct approach to Excel spreadsheets.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Phlegmish posted:

It's short and really easy :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Primetime posted:

Could someone put together a quick Google docs spreadsheet for misterbibs to get him to shut up about excel?

Were it so simple as "make a Google docs spreasheet", we wouldn't be discussing this. Maybe you guys use Google all the time, but I don't and I'm just going to keep rejecting the notion that it is easy to do. Maybe you don't dread turning on your computer, but a lot of us do.