Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Niggurath posted:

I don't understand the point of this:

Is there some dick waving competition among mass shootings in America? Or is it that we apparently feel worse about the Orlando shooting than the Battle of Wounded Knee? Why can't we just feel bad about an event and not have people wonder why we aren't caring about some other poo poo.
Wounded Knee is being bandied about as exactly what happens when you trust the government and give up your weapons. It's a way to minimize the shooting at Orlando while taking a swipe at gun control in the immediate aftermath. Like, straight up, seen this put out as a "You think Orlando was bad? This is what happens without guns!" This, of course, ignores a lot of history - but the people who share this crap don't really care, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Niggurath posted:

I don't understand the point of this:

Is there some dick waving competition among mass shootings in America? Or is it that we apparently feel worse about the Orlando shooting than the Battle of Wounded Knee? Why can't we just feel bad about an event and not have people wonder why we aren't caring about some other poo poo.

I think the intent (at least for people on my feed) is pointing out that history has been white washed, and certain things have been forgotten. It i no way makes Orlando not a tragedy, just a misnomer on calling it the worst episode of gun violence in America. There was also an event where 250 African American were killed after their homes were set on fire, and got gunned down running to safety.

Orlando is the worst modern massacre, there's no doubt.

Gun Violence has been with us for a long, long time, and usually bigotry is involved in some way.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Von Humboldt posted:

Wounded Knee is being bandied about as exactly what happens when you trust the government and give up your weapons. It's a way to minimize the shooting at Orlando while taking a swipe at gun control in the immediate aftermath. Like, straight up, seen this put out as a "You think Orlando was bad? This is what happens without guns!" This, of course, ignores a lot of history - but the people who share this crap don't really care, do they?
Somehow I'm guessing that this is the same crowd that doesn't want the Redskins to change their name, is angry about Andrew "Let's Kill Indians and Also I Hate Paper Money" Jackson not being on the front of the $20 bill at some point in the future, and generally likes to gloss over how the US was created and expanded through genocide, of which Wounded Knee is just one chapter.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Von Humboldt posted:

God dammit I had a vanishingly brief moment where I thought maybe someone was giving a poo poo about Native Americans but your explanation makes too much sense. Oh well, gently caress gun nuts

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My aunt is "part" Native American. She is the single most liberal person I have ever met. She is posting both pro "ban guns completely" and the wounded knee thing. Smh.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Von Humboldt posted:

It's not even the biggest Native American massacre, just the one that's most convenient to talk about

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, like I in no way discount the fact that Native Americans have been treated harshly or that they have been rounded up and whole sale slaughtered for their lands...but I think there's just a difference between an armed conflict between two warring people and a single sociopath premeditating going to a place to murder folks. But I also saw people getting butt hurt that people weren't slapping American flags over their profile pictures while everyone was putting French flags or whatever flavor of the month tragedy was going on, so it just seems that internet anonymity brings out the passive aggression in people.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I was kind of surprised to see someone who isn't dumb posting this on FB, but I got REAL excited when I found the reply.... I've never had a false flagger or whatever before!!

I also had to unfriend and block someone who was frothing over gun rights and why we don't go after ISIS instead of passing anti 2nd amendment laws and so on and so on and I did a mental John Travolta Pulp Fiction turn as I considered "touch the poop? don't touch the poop?" I decided she was not open to discussing how ISIS, Al-Queda and Saddam Hussein originally got their start in the terrorism business because poooooop.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Then again, they're probably the same people who think that the Epic Rap Battles of History acknowledging in one of their raps that slavery happened is an example of white guilt, so… :shrug:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

TinTower posted:

Then again, they're probably the same people who think that the Epic Rap Battles of History acknowledging in one of their raps that slavery happened is an example of white guilt, so… :shrug:

"It's not really a rap battle if only one person is allowed to be cool!"

I really should not expect any better from youtube comments.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Dunno who this is but I sure as hell hate him.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
just a constant march of "WE HAD TO TAKE CONFEDERATE FLAGS DOWN BUT HOW COME THEY DONT HAVE TO TAKE THEIR MUSLIM FLAGS DOWN"

e: i did pledge to take my isis flag down and go protest at the isis embassy for this heinous attack though

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FordPRefectLL posted:

just a constant march of "WE HAD TO TAKE CONFEDERATE FLAGS DOWN BUT HOW COME THEY DONT HAVE TO TAKE THEIR MUSLIM FLAGS DOWN"

e: i did pledge to take my isis flag down and go protest at the isis embassy for this heinous attack though

Up here in Canada I have seen a few "why are government buildings flying the pride flag. They should just be flying the Canadian flag." thing going on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BigglesSWE posted:

Dunno who this is but I sure as hell hate him.

https://twitter.com/petermadden2u/status/742286288829616133

A Family First party fundie fuckwit.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Madkal posted:

Up here in Canada I have seen a few "why are government buildings flying the pride flag. They should just be flying the Canadian flag." thing going on.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

That70sHeidi posted:

I was kind of surprised to see someone who isn't dumb posting this on FB, but I got REAL excited when I found the reply.... I've never had a false flagger or whatever before!!

I also had to unfriend and block someone who was frothing over gun rights and why we don't go after ISIS instead of passing anti 2nd amendment laws and so on and so on and I did a mental John Travolta Pulp Fiction turn as I considered "touch the poop? don't touch the poop?" I decided she was not open to discussing how ISIS, Al-Queda and Saddam Hussein originally got their start in the terrorism business because poooooop.

I unfriended someone tonight that I've been friends with for over 30 years. He's always leaned pretty hard right, and is ex-military and always posts a lot of OUR TROOPS stuff and how liberals are dumb. Fifty people dead, and all he could offer was a snarky Facebook lecture "clearing up some of the ignorance" that he's seen regarding gun facts and terminology. gently caress.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

You blacks and gays are so selfish to be scared of the mass shootings you were targeted in! That could have been straight white people!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
gently caress me this IoSM poo poo right now is depressing

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

e: whoops

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

gently caress me this IoSM poo poo right now is depressing

Yeah this has been a whole new level of depressing. You'd think people who be sympathetic but people are just doubling down on their bigotry and close-mindedness after this. I can't believe I personally know such abhorrent people (some people have posted worse than what I've seen on my feed but the idea is there). This election is going to be so loving sad because no matter who wins people are going to lose it. I'm genuinely scared of the growing division in this hosed up country.

Side note: did this happen after 9/11? I was in elementary school but I don't remember anyone calling for the extermination of Islam like they are now. Has social media and the echo chambers it brings whipped everyone into a frenzy? What are the chances it gets out of control and we all end murdering each other?

Immolat1on has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

aas Bandit posted:

I unfriended someone tonight that I've been friends with for over 30 years. He's always leaned pretty hard right, and is ex-military and always posts a lot of OUR TROOPS stuff and how liberals are dumb. Fifty people dead, and all he could offer was a snarky Facebook lecture "clearing up some of the ignorance" that he's seen regarding gun facts and terminology. gently caress.

Facebook didn't even exist 30 years ago, what the hell

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

you were friends with a TFR poster?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There seems to be at least one guy in every comment thread who :spergin: out on some "Well actually the AR-15 is a civillian semiautomatic rifle, not a machine gun. You see, each time you pull the trigger it only fires one bullet, and furthermore..."

Like that somehow makes it safe as houses and resurrects the 50 guys who just wanted to dance sexy with eachother that were mowed down by one, or the 20 kindergartners, or...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

It's almost as if the firearm used was capable of firing lots of rounds fairly accurately in a very short time, perhaps even aided by large-capacity magazines and enabling a single shooter to do incredible damage quickly!

Naw, must of been multiple shooters.

(Don't taze me, 'must of' was intentional)

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Jun 15, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A lot of friends have been liking and sharing celebrity posts about how maybe the AR-15 needs to be regulated or banned because it's really good at killing lots of people super fast, and maybe you don't want everyone including people on terror watch lists to be able to buy one no questions asked, but it's fine for other guns to be sold just like in all the countries where guns are legal yet there aren't mass shootings every week. Que hundreds of comments of "OH SURE BLAME THE GUN NOT THE PERSON" "I THOUGHT YOU WERE SMARTER THAN THIS" "I'M UNFOLLOWING YOU rear end in a top hat" "GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

There seems to be at least one guy in every comment thread who :spergin: out on some "Well actually the AR-15 is a civillian semiautomatic rifle, not a machine gun. You see, each time you pull the trigger it only fires one bullet, and furthermore..."

Like that somehow makes it safe as houses and resurrects the 50 guys who just wanted to dance sexy with eachother that were mowed down by one, or the 20 kindergartners, or...

I had a whole argument with a guy doing this (posted in the previous page) and he was acting like he won on a technicality.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Madkal posted:

I had a whole argument with a guy doing this (posted in the previous page) and he was acting like he won on a technicality.

Picnic Princess posted:

A lot of friends have been liking and sharing celebrity posts about how maybe the AR-15 needs to be regulated or banned because it's really good at killing lots of people super fast, and maybe you don't want everyone including people on terror watch lists to be able to buy one no questions asked, but it's fine for other guns to be sold just like in all the countries where guns are legal yet there aren't mass shootings every week. Que hundreds of comments of "OH SURE BLAME THE GUN NOT THE PERSON" "I THOUGHT YOU WERE SMARTER THAN THIS" "I'M UNFOLLOWING YOU rear end in a top hat" "GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE"
That's how it always is and that's the most tiring thing. I always see the same arguments after shootings - not technically an assault weapon, wouldn't have happened if they have a gun, ignoring the real issue to push an agenda - and it has become soul crushing. It's people so certain they are right that they drop their arguments as if they're hammer blows, when you've literally heard it all before. Don't they remember that last shooting where they said the same thing?

I had a guy, not twenty four hours after the shooting, post a picture of his AR-15. "Still in a corner, hasn't shot anyone!"

People are loving dead. And when I tell him that it's garbage to make some smarmy remark when a similar weapon killed and maimed so many other people, I get the reply that he's pointing out the hypocrisy of the media and the President. They're wanting to go after the gun, not the terrorists. And he, a service member, knows exactly how to stop terrorism and has been trained in it - the response to a mass shooting in a gay club in Florida, according to this, is just to call it Islamic Terrorism and bomb more poo poo. A call to 911 to pledge to ISIS isn't a man trying to grasp legitimacy; it's proof! No matter what you say, you're inescapably wrong. Everything lines up perfectly for them; all else falls away. It's not a discussion, and it's not an argument. It never was, and never can be - you might as well beg the wind not to blow or the wind not to shine for all the good it will do.

The corpses are just a platform to show off that you're a real American with correct opinions.

This isn't very funny.

Uh, I know a lot of dudes who like softcore pages on Facebook. I don't get it; one of them was my buddy's father and a manager at a warehouse, and I had to remove him from my feed because he would straight up share every other picture these pages would share. Embarrassing as heck, right? Also, once I set an email to my co-manager of a project we were working on, and titled it "farts for days." Nothing serious or on the record; just an informal checkup on where we both were. I did not realize that I had also CC'd my boss. She got a laugh, at least.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Would I be a horrible person if I bet that he gets caught trying to solicit sex in a men's room, on Grindr, or on Craigslist?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Immolat1on posted:

Side note: did this happen after 9/11? I was in elementary school but I don't remember anyone calling for the extermination of Islam like they are now. Has social media and the echo chambers it brings whipped everyone into a frenzy? What are the chances it gets out of control and we all end murdering each other?

I believe 9/11 created this climate, together with the invasion of Iraq

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

constantIllusion posted:

Would I be a horrible person if I bet that he gets caught trying to solicit sex in a men's room, on Grindr, or on Craigslist?

Yes, because he might go shoot up a gay club as response.

I hate people.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

PicklePants posted:

I think the intent (at least for people on my feed) is pointing out that history has been white washed, and certain things have been forgotten. It i no way makes Orlando not a tragedy, just a misnomer on calling it the worst episode of gun violence in America. There was also an event where 250 African American were killed after their homes were set on fire, and got gunned down running to safety.

Orlando is the worst modern massacre, there's no doubt.

Gun Violence has been with us for a long, long time, and usually bigotry is involved in some way.

Everyone I've seen on my feed has posted it for this exact reason.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Immolat1on posted:

Yeah this has been a whole new level of depressing. You'd think people who be sympathetic but people are just doubling down on their bigotry and close-mindedness after this. I can't believe I personally know such abhorrent people (some people have posted worse than what I've seen on my feed but the idea is there). This election is going to be so loving sad because no matter who wins people are going to lose it. I'm genuinely scared of the growing division in this hosed up country.

Yes
I too was in elementary school, but consider the kids tv programs around that time. If you ever watched "The Proud Family", there was a family that had their house vandalized and spray-painted with "Go back to Iraq". The people were Pakistani. I think the going thought was "just bomb all of the middle east".

Question: What do these people think of muslims in southeast Asia, like Thailand? Do they view them through the same lens or does "Asian" override that?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Postal Parcel posted:

Question: What do these people think of muslims in southeast Asia, like Thailand? Do they view them through the same lens or does "Asian" override that?

I think it's a somewhat even split between having no idea that there are Asian (or European) Muslims, and considering them to be exactly the same. At least some of the "Obama is a stealth Muslim" conspiracies are inspired by his time in Indonesia.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

DicktheCat posted:

Yes, because he might go shoot up a gay club as response.

I hate people.

That's unlikely - he's Australian and we have gun laws.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

So he'll go in and release snakes, spiders and a couple of drop bears. Instant slaughter.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Kajeesus posted:

I think it's a somewhat even split between having no idea that there are Asian (or European) Muslims, and considering them to be exactly the same. At least some of the "Obama is a stealth Muslim" conspiracies are inspired by his time in Indonesia.

pretty sure the common consensus is that Europe is like 87% muslims.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

thatbastardken posted:

But if we banned all the guns, criminals would just get hold of them anyway. Which is why there are just as many mass shootings in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Cumslut1895 posted:

pretty sure the common consensus is that Europe is like 87% muslims.

It's true. Not sure where the non-muslims went, though.