Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Pesticide20 posted:

My old XO in Italy

E: cape, too

?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647176&pagenumber=6#post432095812

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Vasudus posted:

If there's anything I've learned in all my years dealing with PTSD - not only my own, but helping others - try just about anything. It's absolutely amazing what random therapy/technique works for people sometimes.

From what I've read MDMA has had amazing results, but god forbid using something that works...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

My XO had hair

e: and wasn't nearly as big of a tool

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

sky shark posted:

From what I've read MDMA has had amazing results, but god forbid using something that works...

Lots of "party drugs" or what have you actually serve good purposes. Ketamine is pretty similar to PCP. We use it to consciously sedate people for procedures, and we follow up conscious sedation from ketamine with a form of amnesic *such as versed* for older adults because it's been known to give people bad trips in the hospital.

that being said, low doses of ketamine has shown profound benefits for individuals suffering from ptsd, but it's not widely accepted because of the abuse that's associated with ketamine.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 14, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

Lots of "party drugs" or what have you actually serve good purposes. Ketamine is pretty similar to PCP, and we usually have to follow up conscious sedation with a form of amnesic *such as versed* for older adults because it's been known to give people bad trips in the hospital.

that being said, low doses of ketamine has shown profound benefits for individuals suffering from ptsd, but it's not widely accepted because of the abuse that's associated with ketamine.

Yeah, ketamine is pretty much the Chinese answer to Cocaine (http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-great-k-hole-of-china) and I've seen some absolutely retarded poo poo done on the internet by upper-middle class chinese folks snorting the poo poo. Like this for example

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I made it about 10 seconds. Army productions are so terrible.

Like you know they spent probably 2 weeks making the HMWMV perfect, and at least another 2 weeks just rehearsing that. Half the soldiers probably were told to buy new boots and uniforms because thats what their clothing allowance is for.

Hi there.

First off, let me say that I 100% agree with you. All of the Army productions for CI are hot garbage. I will never stop raging at that goddamn AFN Commercial with a dude in a banana suit saying something like "Hey man, I really love you, but now I gotta split!" and bolting. So loving dumb. So let me explain the process to you as it happened to me as I got into a pissing match with the CSM of USAEUR.

I was tasked to create an "instructional video series" for WLC. I met with WLC leadership, we hashed out a plan, I worked out a method that would not only be informative but it would not be full of the Army bullshit command message crap that makes it in every video. To be fair, the thing that I had planned out wasn't bad. It followed a new class and brought to light concerns they had when they got there like if you fail you're kicked out of the Army, that it's really hard, etc. I filmed the first bit of seven and edited it, then sent it up. Everyone going up to the CSM of USAEUR thought it was great, it hit on everything WLC wanted in a way that helped people want to watch it. Then USAEUR saw it. They ordered me to change some minor things. Got it, did it. Their complaint was the guy in one of the interviews had a shaving profile, and that someone doing an exercise showed butt crack (he did not at all actually). When it was sent back up, I was told I need to completely rewrite the story and force the interviewees to say stuff from a script. That breaks my "journalistic integrity" and I declined and decided to scrap the project. All because someone higher up wanted it to be better and fit their idea of what it should be.

The problem is, it doesn't work. This is why I interview lower enlisted people. It's easier to relate to people you can associate yourself with. A CSM or a COL does not fit that bill.

Second mention. I actually had a decent idea for an "Army vs Navy" video as I was told that I was going to be doing. My idea, storylined and thought out was like one of those previews you'd see for Monday Night Football or something. It'd have a voiceover something like "It's been 16 years since you walked off the field victorious. That's old enough to see your toddler learn how to drive a car. Old enough to get into your first fight." etc. Then it was hype talk telling them if you wanna win you got to earn it, winning isn't easy and it's gonna be painful. Like I said, all put to montage with hard hits and cool catches. Everyone LOVED the idea. Until higher ups butted in and demanded they be a part of the video (as they are every year). Their introductions are more than half the time I get to make this video length wise. So that idea was scrapped and I eventually got removed from it for someone who could get it done (I also started to medboard around that time.)

Commercials are the worst though. It would be like if I came up to you and was like "Hey, make a 30 second commercial about not drinking and driving, or don't rape people, or obey the speed limit. You have 2 weeks." We pretty much only know the camera and lighting things. The idea, concept, and execution is just like how you would come up with it. No special training on how to not suck, just a timeline of when to get it done. The result is what you see on TV.

Thats it. No excuses just the reason behind why they suck

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Have none of those people ever heard of public relations? Or is it that their heads are so far up their own asses that they think they're the most important person in the world?

Oh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Have none of those people ever heard of public relations? Or is it that their heads are so far up their own asses that they think they're the most important person in the world?

Oh.

Both. Public Relations can only do so much, at the end it's the commander's word and wish. The best thing a garrison commander ever told me was to "stop playing that bullshit music that sounds like officers picking music out for their preteen daughters. Play more rock." No problem!

Also, GREAT NEWS (kinda)!

My VARR came back and I'm now waiting to get put on transitions. The VARR was bad news though cause the VA was like "we're not increasing your ratings because you didn't get shot in the leg or anything." so I'll still be fighting it regardless, but I'll be doing it out of the military.

It's happening!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Sounds like Chevy contracted the army to make those god awful loving commercial with totally not actors guys.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Soulex posted:

Hi there.

First off, let me say that I 100% agree with you. All of the Army productions for CI are hot garbage. I will never stop raging at that goddamn AFN Commercial with a dude in a banana suit saying something like "Hey man, I really love you, but now I gotta split!" and bolting. So loving dumb. So let me explain the process to you as it happened to me as I got into a pissing match with the CSM of USAEUR.

I was tasked to create an "instructional video series" for WLC. I met with WLC leadership, we hashed out a plan, I worked out a method that would not only be informative but it would not be full of the Army bullshit command message crap that makes it in every video. To be fair, the thing that I had planned out wasn't bad. It followed a new class and brought to light concerns they had when they got there like if you fail you're kicked out of the Army, that it's really hard, etc. I filmed the first bit of seven and edited it, then sent it up. Everyone going up to the CSM of USAEUR thought it was great, it hit on everything WLC wanted in a way that helped people want to watch it. Then USAEUR saw it. They ordered me to change some minor things. Got it, did it. Their complaint was the guy in one of the interviews had a shaving profile, and that someone doing an exercise showed butt crack (he did not at all actually). When it was sent back up, I was told I need to completely rewrite the story and force the interviewees to say stuff from a script. That breaks my "journalistic integrity" and I declined and decided to scrap the project. All because someone higher up wanted it to be better and fit their idea of what it should be.

The problem is, it doesn't work. This is why I interview lower enlisted people. It's easier to relate to people you can associate yourself with. A CSM or a COL does not fit that bill.

Second mention. I actually had a decent idea for an "Army vs Navy" video as I was told that I was going to be doing. My idea, storylined and thought out was like one of those previews you'd see for Monday Night Football or something. It'd have a voiceover something like "It's been 16 years since you walked off the field victorious. That's old enough to see your toddler learn how to drive a car. Old enough to get into your first fight." etc. Then it was hype talk telling them if you wanna win you got to earn it, winning isn't easy and it's gonna be painful. Like I said, all put to montage with hard hits and cool catches. Everyone LOVED the idea. Until higher ups butted in and demanded they be a part of the video (as they are every year). Their introductions are more than half the time I get to make this video length wise. So that idea was scrapped and I eventually got removed from it for someone who could get it done (I also started to medboard around that time.)

Commercials are the worst though. It would be like if I came up to you and was like "Hey, make a 30 second commercial about not drinking and driving, or don't rape people, or obey the speed limit. You have 2 weeks." We pretty much only know the camera and lighting things. The idea, concept, and execution is just like how you would come up with it. No special training on how to not suck, just a timeline of when to get it done. The result is what you see on TV.

Thats it. No excuses just the reason behind why they suck

So in conclusion

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

So in conclusion

Also yes

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I always thought it would be cool if the Army made commercials for combat arms jobs but like in an alternate reality where we are in a bigass conventional war, so like a 19K commercial is the inside of a tank while they are screaming at each other and poo poo or like in a C130 with paratroopers hooked up but there's like AAA going on outside the door, really hype that poo poo up and like don't even have any music.

The loving Marines get to charge a beach with attack choppers and poo poo flying around but the Army gets to have some queermo set up a stupid-rear end land surveyor thing while his parents say how much they thought he would be in DANGER!

like look at this stupid thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdNFlsFWes

compared to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYrBSTBHCS4

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
On one hand that would be really loving cool, but on the other hand it's the loving Army.

You don't furiously masturbate to Full Metal Jacket until you nearly deglove your dick? Guess that rules out the Marines.

Can't get enough brain cells together for the right ASVAB score? Don't know what the gently caress quality of life means? Don't want to be a giant pussy? No Air Force for you!

Don't like boats and/or totally not gay at all? No Navy, then.

Aaaand we're left with the Army. It's like the default end result of the nebulous thought process that marks probably the most stupid choice anyone is ever going to make.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

I always thought it would be cool if the Army made commercials for combat arms jobs but like in an alternate reality where we are in a bigass conventional war, so like a 19K commercial is the inside of a tank while they are screaming at each other and poo poo or like in a C130 with paratroopers hooked up but there's like AAA going on outside the door, really hype that poo poo up and like don't even have any music.

The loving Marines get to charge a beach with attack choppers and poo poo flying around but the Army gets to have some queermo set up a stupid-rear end land surveyor thing while his parents say how much they thought he would be in DANGER!

compared to this:

Why would you get out of your armored vehicle and advance on foot across a large area with no cover.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

psydude posted:

Why would you get out of your armored vehicle and advance on foot across a large area with no cover.

Because we've all heard and learned our lesson from the tale of Abu Hajar

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MqTLkHe1jw

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Because the Marine rifleman will advance across a field, or stack on a door, or breach the bridgehead, or hold the line because he knows that over his shoulder he has the full combined arms power of the MAGTF, and the MAGTF commander will use a single battle concept to lock the enemy in the horns of a dilemma.

That's probably actually written in MCWP 3-1 somewhere.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Because the Marine rifleman will advance across a field, or stack on a door, or breach the bridgehead, or hold the line because he knows that over his shoulder he has the full combined arms power of the MAGTF, and the MAGTF commander will use a single battle concept to lock the enemy in the horns of a dilemma.

That's probably actually written in MCWP 3-1 somewhere.

My sections OIC is a Marine mustang who has the biggest hard-on for being a Marine (joint environment is loving stupid).

He loving says OODA loop unironically.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

My sections OIC is a Marine mustang who has the biggest hard-on for being a Marine (joint environment is loving stupid).

OK I'll bite, what the gently caress does that mean?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
observe orient decide act

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
ooda my balls

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

While at a Marine school I wrote "lock the enemy in the horns of a dilemma" as part of my essay answer on a test and the grader circled it and wrote YES OOHRAH!!! underlined three or four times.

Sometimes you gotta play the game.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

compared to this:

These are insanely easy to make. The problem is the command as I mentioned before. The BIGGEST problem with the Army one is that it jolts you out of the commercial when the parents start talking. That's a huge no-no and the producer/director should have loving known better if it was their idea. You could have him talking in the background like "I didn't know what I was getting into when I swore in. I was nervous, scared, and wasn't sure if I made the right decision. The army taught me to be competent, gave me confidence, and how to lead from the front." blah blah blah.

Recruiting videos aren't typically made by people in my MOS because they are higher visibility and they want to make sure "It's done right." but it's not. I think the coolest one I saw was the Marine one with their soldiers standing in a line doing that rifle flip thing spanning across different landscapes. It was simple, easy to do, and looked better than most bullshit.

Recruiting videos for peace time is dumb though. You can't put that cool blow em up, loving gagagagagagagagaga M249 blasting windows out of a house type of thing cause it's not like you're gonna do it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure the Army hires an ad agency for national advertisements like that. However the advertising agency is going to work what with they give them and if some LTC or whoever says "MAKE THE PARENTS TALK NOW" then I guess you're going to do that

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm pretty sure the Army hires an ad agency for national advertisements like that. However the advertising agency is going to work what with they give them and if some LTC or whoever says "MAKE THE PARENTS TALK NOW" then I guess you're going to do that

Yeah, agencies that are hired really only do the grunt work of it and the ideas come from up top. I think the part of my job that I liked the most was being able to tell field officers to "gently caress off" in so many words when they got a glint of idea in their eye on what I should do. Um...no? I'm a professional here, I don't go into the TOC and tell you how to make coffee. Let me do my job.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Does the army have any commercial/recruiting tool equivalent to that of the marine slaying the dragon?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

Does the army have any commercial/recruiting tool equivalent to that of the marine slaying the dragon?

That commercial showing Army folks getting jobs outside of law enforcement after they get out?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

That commercial showing Army folks getting jobs after they get out?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Booblord Zagats posted:

That commercial showing Army folks getting jobs outside of law enforcement after they get out?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

oh, hooah!

It's an army thing :smug:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I've still never seen the mythical 19D on dirt bikes recruiting video that everyone talks about. What the hell?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Apparently there's a tanker one that a lot of recruiters have that a ton of dudes in my basic training saw. Apparently it's amazing, but I never saw it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've watched the recruiting video on a lot of MOSs's'ss while trying to convince kids to take something other than the job they really want but are not qualified for. Almost all the videos are the same.

MOS [blah]! The Armies premier [bullshit]. In this career you will learn [a fancy way of saying a skill level 1 task]. Training will begin at BASIC COMBAT Training etc etc, then you will go to Fort [blah] for [x] weeks of advanced individual training. In addition to these skills you will learn LEADERSHIP and gain life skills to transition into anything in the real world. MOS [blah], [some buzzwords] something something 21st Century.

and its all narrated by a cut rate version of the movie trailer voice

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
There should be a series of recruiting videos to attempt to keep people from joining.

FTA

SMDFTB

FYGM

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
A video of standing around at 4am picking up cigarette butts, some E7 coming and using words that he misunderstands, sitting in the motor pool for 6 hours doing nothing.

or go the honor route or whatever and do something about purple hearts and getting treated like poo poo for having the audacity to get wounded and removed from the duty roster

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
a 12 hour video of a horse loving a cat maybe

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Thirty minutes of retarded Army jargon, catchphrases, and acronyms, titled "It Would Be Hooah of You." Basically like that one video about the Marine LT, but instead of funny, it's painful and cringeworthy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Army officer recruiting ad from a few years ago is the only semi decent one I've seen in terms of not being overly cheesy or trying to make being a 12T look super badass.

e: this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFkGsT8SmE

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 15, 2016

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

The Army officer recruiting ad from a few years ago is the only semi decent one I've seen in terms of not being overly cheesy or trying to make being a 12T look super badass.

e: this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFkGsT8SmE

Hahaha the guy in the preview frame of that was a classmate of mine at OCS, we graduated in Jan '09.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
Hey kid you sure you still want that option 40 or 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOsGnaeT03k&t=139s

• Locked thread