Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

This Things I Believe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

Clunky dialogue and a boring story dragging on for months is pretty much par for the course in newspaper comics; what I can't take is how bad Allen is at drawing people. When it's a case of someone who used to be good and has been drawing the comic for so long that they're basically guaranteed the job till the day they die, that's one thing, but this guy was hired recently and he's just terrible. Get rid of him.

I'm highly disappointed after the promising "receptive beaver" storyline.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

What a buncha cunts

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Every Tinkertons is one sentence stretched out over four panels that barely registers as a joke. I hate it so much.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Forktoss posted:

Clumsily being the operative word

:dance:
I admire its purity. A parody... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

The not often seen Mother Goose & Grimm. I'm sharing because the pun is just awful.

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Oh Adams. :gonk::stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a cool strawman, Scott.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think Dilbert just made an end-run for "worst strip in the thread".

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The rush-job version this morning.

Peanuts (June 18, 1969)

Funky Phony-Nostalgiabean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Previously, on Thimble Theater:

Somebody on Comics Kingdom who found the January 1st strip somewhere posted:

Cop: You say this here's a mystery ship?
Castor: Sure it is! And you're a sap for following us and coming aboard.
Cop: Say, doggone it! I've got to get home, Maria'll be worryin'--I ain't never been late to supper.
Popeye: Cop, you may never see your Maria again--there's been thousands of men bumped off on the decks of the BLACK BARNACLE.
Castor: Popeye knows all about it, because he's heard tales about this ship and the Sea Hag who owns it.
Popeye: Strangers never live long on the BLACK BARNACLE--we seem to be alone but I ain't so sure--blow me down, I think our gooses are cooked.
Cop: You two may die but I'm safe--because it's against the law to kill an officer.
Popeye: Tryin' to make yourself feel good, ain'tcha?

(January 2, 1930...with an unadvertised bonus)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's pretty impressive the other contenders were able to keep up this long, honestly.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dilbert

Oh Adams. :gonk::stare:
gently caress You Scott Adams.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 23, 1951)

Barnaby (October 28, 1942)

Nancy (July 7, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (March 20, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (April 18, 1923)

Barney Google (April 5, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 2, 1936)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh come on, we know you're just criticizing to get a rise out of the artist.

Tiggum posted:

The weekday artists rarely do their own colouring.
The truth is I just didn't have a comment for yesterday's MW and I try to say something about most of the comics when I post them. Probably should just shut up sometimes instead.

Anyways, for the record. I would hate to lose Joe Giella as the artist because the kind of crappy art of MW is part of what I like about it.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

I was wondering if X-9 (the strip) was at all "officially" affiliated with the FBI, as at the time it was known that Hoover liked to promote the Bureau in popular culture. With a very brief look, it appears it probably was not, it was just the FBI was popular when the strip was created, and later references to it were removed when it was no longer popular.

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

The great (?) thing about this is that if anybody says, "gently caress this. gently caress you," he can just say, "Thank you for proving my point. :smugbert:"

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Theremin is exactly what "You're So Party (Let's Go Dancey)" needs to put it at #1!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

Britain had kept Germany under blockade since 1914, United States joined it in 1917. So the barber or his supplier has pre-war razors in storage, what are they to do? Throw them away? In the previous strip Everett got mad at a guy who was wasting a bit of sugar.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nenonen posted:

Britain had kept Germany under blockade since 1914, United States joined it in 1917. So the barber or his supplier has pre-war razors in storage, what are they to do? Throw them away? In the previous strip Everett got mad at a guy who was wasting a bit of sugar.

They melt them down for guns! bullets! strap hooks! Trench knives! helmets!

There's a bloody war on boy!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

The truth is I just didn't have a comment for yesterday's MW and I try to say something about most of the comics when I post them. Probably should just shut up sometimes instead.
I was just riffing on Mary's terrible "people only criticize to be mean" advice. I wasn't making a slam on you.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

:golfclap:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Are people mad about the mere mention of S J W in Dilbert? I would be certain that the character was the butt of the joke and meant to look like a complete tool if it weren't for the fact that PHB is interviewing him, and his one character trait is usually "wrong about everything". The dialogue seems pretty against Officer Murphy there. This feels a bit like Dick from the internet or whatever.

The strip is still guilty of being bad for other reasons ie bland, boring, dumb

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I empathize with Gloomy Gus here. Once I had my degree firmly in my hands, I junked about half my portfolio because it was stuff I made just to appease a teacher and not something I really enjoyed making. This included my senior thesis+project. Maybe not my smartest life choice, but cathartic as hell.

Also judging by the amount of self-portraits Luann has done, I'd say her life passion is herself.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

Reader Trent Sindelar responded, calling Trail "one of the last role models to be found on the comics page ... Mark Trail is a devoted family man, fearless adventurer and proud American. In short, he is a faultless inspiration for today’s children. Please do not banish him."

This is such bullshit.
My children make me scroll past Mark Trail when it's posted here.
Children everywhere care about as much about Mark Trail as they do Mary Worth. It's a boring comic they skip over because hey look, there's Heathcliff.
The only children who look foreword to reading Mark Trail grown up to be serial killers or Republican senators.

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

They melt them down for guns! bullets! strap hooks! Trench knives! helmets!

There's a bloody war on boy!

This but unironically. If you were using the enemies products, you were a traitor.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Trent posted:

Are people mad about the mere mention of S J W in Dilbert? I would be certain that the character was the butt of the joke and meant to look like a complete tool if it weren't for the fact that PHB is interviewing him, and his one character trait is usually "wrong about everything". The dialogue seems pretty against Officer Murphy there. This feels a bit like Dick from the internet or whatever.

The strip is still guilty of being bad for other reasons ie bland, boring, dumb

The dumbest guy in the office is shown "owning" the "SJW" and you think it's a burn on the PHB? Not likely.

No one seems too mad, just disappointed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a good reminder that Adams is a racist, sexist rape apologist, if nothing else. Classic Dilbert and the pseudo-guest strips were making it easy to forget he's a awful person who writes a bad comic, so in a way him making such a blatant reminder is a good thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Let's also not forget that Adams' big concern this election is that he, personally, will be hunted down and killed if Trump wins.

The Classic Dinette Set rewards achievements.

Working Daze overshares.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix explores the edge.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Evil Mastermind posted:

Let's also not forget that Adams' big concern this election is that he, personally, will be hunted down and killed if Trump wins.

Actually, he came out in support of Clinton because he's afraid that if he endorses Trump, Clinton supporters will put him on a hit list.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

He is also certain of a Trump landslide because he is an expert on persuasion, apparently. And hypnosis.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trent posted:

He is also certain of a Trump landslide because he is an expert on persuasion, apparently. And hypnosis.

Empirically speaking, that worked for Anatoly Kashpirovsky.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Johnny Walker posted:

Anyways, for the record. I would hate to lose Joe Giella as the artist because the kind of crappy art of MW is part of what I like about it.

Mary Worth

Just a reminder that this is a 19-year-old college student.

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom Meets the Difficulty of Drawing Hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snitches get stitches Guran

• Locked thread