Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Molentik posted:

Pz IV ausf D with Pz 38 roadwheels and a Tiger barrel up front? Whatever it is it looks cool as gently caress!

Ensign Expendable posted:

The hull and turret are PzII. The engine deck and observation devices are a dead giveaway, even though the shape of the hull and large wheels made me think of a Panther at first.

It's the old dirt cheap Tamiya Panzer II, just 9 measly euros for a Warhammer tank. The whole front of the hull is made of Evergreen, as well as the armored skirts, the rails, the turret mantlet and upper armor. I built them thinking in the franch B1 and the Matilda II, as I wanted to make the tank beefier and older-looking. The frontal gun is a StuH 105 mm howitzer, the lasguns and missile from various Warhammer spares, the frontal impaler thing from a Cromwell.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was not sure about the result on this one.

I'm thinking on substituting Tamiya's figure for something more appropiate. Any ideas in 28 mm scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Jaguars! posted:

I'm doing a filthy casual mode ship

(Note: Even casual mode ships have large amounts of sub 2mm parts.)

Forward superstructure went on today. This is the first model I've made in about 10 years, lots of firsts for me, like using filler and thinning my paints. I already kinda want to do a repeat and try get the hull finish right.

Model is Revell HMS Kelly, a British destroyer that was sunk near Crete in 1941.

Holy poo poo, I'd need some sort of magnifying glass and another persons hands to do something that tiny. Looks good man.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

:) If I do another one the first thing I'll do is get some kind of magnifier. I had to buy all the tools when I started, so I bought two pairs of tweezers, pointed and flat.

I sand and paint most of the small parts while they're still on the sprue, one trick I learned is for bits that are held on by two attachments, cut one away completely and finish that area while it's still attached. Sometimes you can make little assemblies like the funnel and the rangefinder while still on the frame.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just trying to get the barrels to dry aligned seems like such a pain in the rear end. Are they one piece?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yep, you can build it so that they freely elevate, but that didn't seem very robust so I just glued them at max elevation. The turrets and torpedo tubes rotate though. The front turret is a little wonky because I broke the kingpin and replaced it with the shank of a drawing pin, but I'm really happy that it worked at all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

1/700 scale ships are amazing to me now, even though when I was a teenager I used to love building them. Now, I just can't even conceive of trying to work with those tiny parts, even with a magnifier.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I cuss at 1/72 airplane parts. that poo poo just blows my weak vision idiotic impatient mind

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I finally got the wood I've been waiting for, so I started to do some work on the picket boat.

There are a number of different deck parts on this kit that are just 1/16" thick basswood, and the instructions are to 'scribe' the lines onto the decks to simulate planks. This is probably because those decks are supposed to be painted in the instructions, but I don't care for how the scribed decks look, and I also think I want to keep the planked deck portions natural wood to contrast with the painted hull, so I got some 1/32" thick Swiss Pear, and I'm planking all those sections.

On the left, the basswood that I'm supposed to scribe fake planking into prior to painting it ugly grey. This is the floor of the rear cockpit. On the right is the first planked section with Swiss Pear. Then both parts complete. It will darken up a bit when it gets a coating of wipe on poly.

The large floor sections of the main cockpit of the boat, again showing the basswood kit piece, and then the planked but not yet trimmed down piece, and then after finishing it.

I have the benches of the rear cockpit, the deck of the bow and stern, and some bulkheads that are exposed to do. Some of those parts get margin planks, so they'll be a bit trickier and require cutting custom shaped planks out of 1/32" sheet rather than using straight planking.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I was out running around earlier and saw this:

so I grabbed it. My modeling has all but completely stopped. Maybe this will help to get going again. It's actually got a fully modeled engine bay instead of just being curbside like a lot of Tamiya kits. Should be fun.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
The Tamiya Skyline kits are very good, considering their age.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, most of this kit is a reissue of a 1989 kit based on copyright stamps, but this specific kit was released last year with some new parts. Intercooler, wheels, exhaust, and some other bits. Just finished cutting and sorting parts so maybe I'll throw some paint down soon. Parts are super clean and test fits have been great.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Another quick review of two modelling books I recently bought.

They're called "Landscapes of War", Vols 1 and 2. They detailed guides for building bases and dioramas for war subjects. Each is composed of several individuals scenes and dioramas, with very detailed build instructions, insights into technique, materials and tools, and even paint lists for the colors needed. The photos are big and very clear, and everything is presented very nicely and is easy to follow along and understand. There's even some sections with reference photos of objects in nature that would be great when recreating a similar look. They can be a little pricey, as their published in Europe, but overall I've found them to be some of the best books I've read on creating bases and dioramas.

Buy at Euromodeliso
Buy at Ammo by MIG

Vol.1
Barbarrossa - Russians retake an AFV and capture a Stug III in a coniferous wooded area.
Counterstrike and Retreat, Fall-Winter 1943/44 - German AFV tries to retreat in heavy snow.
Cruel Pacific, Bloody Beach - A small rusted out and abandoned Japanese AFV lies half buried in the surf on a beach.
Duck Hunt - Ford GPA crosses a river.

Vol.2
Rommel in Tunisia - Rommel Inspects a destroyed AFV.
Ground, Grass, and Stones - Generic base to demonstrate multiple techniques.
The Ardennes: Winter - Small vignette of german commando, to demonstrate snow and ice effects.
The Ardennes: Autumn - US AFV travels through the countryside.
Hurtgen Forest, Autumn, 1944 - US troops watch from the forest; emphasis on moss, lichen, and mushrooms.
Belarus - September 1944 - German troops cross through Russian lines; rocks, moss, water courses.
Ivy: Always Present - Generic scene with techniques for creating ivy.
Ferns - Generic scene with techniques for creating ferns.
Normandy - Germans arrive at an abandoned Humber, blocked by a river that's broken its banks.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
HLJ added some cars and bikes to their sale: http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SaleGroup=SUMMERSALE2016AUT

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Finished my first "proper" model. Got into building the Star Wars Bandai figure kits and was too frightened to really dabble in the vehicles as I was worried about painting and such. Then they announced the A-wing kit and I decided that and lurking this thread to double down on modelling and got an airbrush and gradually built up my modelling kit when I started running into things I didn't know how to do.

Forgive the weird staging of the pic, tough nailing focus and the only good light was right by my window.

If you're interested in the rough process -

Primed red parts black with Vallejo primer

Primed white parts white with Vallejo primer.

Red is I think what Vallejo call Rot red? The white is white/grey

Pilot was hand painted.

2 coats of Vallejo gloss varnish

Transfers - praise be to micro sol

1 coat of Vallejo gloss

Then was an AK interactive enamel panel liner wash designed for snow/white vehicles. The whole wash process was terrifying as I really liked where I was prior to it but it ended up working out really well.

Finished up with a satin coat.

The base is an ikea frame and the included stand which is just primed vallejo grey with a matt varnish

Really fun learning process. Would have liked to do more build pics but it ended up being spread out over two weeks as I was waiting for supplies to come in.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
That's super nice. I got the a-wing too and it's a great kit. Only real weird thing about it is that instead of the pair of pilots like the x and y, you get a guy sitting down and a silhouette guy standing up. Just a piece of black flat plastic that looks like the other standing pilots.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dr. Phildo posted:

That's super nice. I got the a-wing too and it's a great kit. Only real weird thing about it is that instead of the pair of pilots like the x and y, you get a guy sitting down and a silhouette guy standing up. Just a piece of black flat plastic that looks like the other standing pilots.

thanks!

Yeah the silhouette is super strange. The designer must have panicked meeting a deadline and phoned it in maybe.

Otherwise I'm so incredibly impressed by the quality of the bandai kits that I feel really spoiled. My previous forays into modelling were like a calvin and hobbes strip.

Not really sure where to go after I make my way through the other star wars kits. I feel a little intimidated trying to get a real world kit to match real life exactly

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have much experience with the Tamiya weathering sets? My local stocks them and they seem pretty cool.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone have much experience with the Tamiya weathering sets? My local stocks them and they seem pretty cool.

They're okay in a pinch. You can achieve better, more flexible results with oil paints. The weathering sets are pretty much makeup for tanks.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Looks sweet, good job!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Paragon8 posted:

thanks!

Yeah the silhouette is super strange. The designer must have panicked meeting a deadline and phoned it in maybe.

Otherwise I'm so incredibly impressed by the quality of the bandai kits that I feel really spoiled. My previous forays into modelling were like a calvin and hobbes strip.

Not really sure where to go after I make my way through the other star wars kits. I feel a little intimidated trying to get a real world kit to match real life exactly

They really are nice kits and I'm glad the quality is still there. I'm doing the tiny little "vehicle model" star destroyer right now. It's about 11cm (4and a tad inches?) and detail is bonkers for something this small.

But don't feel too intimidated by "real world" stuff. If you make mistakes, then it's not perfect, it's now used or weathered or "beat up." Although I'm the worst at this, because I always want to see it look exactly like the box art or real life counterpart :(

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The box art and/or real life counterpart often have little to do with the model inside. The overall shape is good, for example, but you'll find a limitless number of rivet counters to show you that you have the late model 1943 transmission cover with an early model 1944 exhaust pipe like some kind of amateur.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

tunah posted:

Looks sweet, good job!

Thanks!

Dr. Phildo posted:

They really are nice kits and I'm glad the quality is still there. I'm doing the tiny little "vehicle model" star destroyer right now. It's about 11cm (4and a tad inches?) and detail is bonkers for something this small.

But don't feel too intimidated by "real world" stuff. If you make mistakes, then it's not perfect, it's now used or weathered or "beat up." Although I'm the worst at this, because I always want to see it look exactly like the box art or real life counterpart :(

I did the star destroyer too! it's incredible. I hope Bandai do a bigger one. I have the Millenium Falcon up next. There's a few more star wars kits I have my eye on before I have to venture into the real world!

Ensign Expendable posted:

The box art and/or real life counterpart often have little to do with the model inside. The overall shape is good, for example, but you'll find a limitless number of rivet counters to show you that you have the late model 1943 transmission cover with an early model 1944 exhaust pipe like some kind of amateur.

Seeing like 50 different shades of grey for period accurate paint was intense.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I built the AT-ST kit, though I haven't painted the exterior yet, and built and painted the scout trooper on speeder bike. Both were very nice kits.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gewehr 43 posted:

They're okay in a pinch. You can achieve better, more flexible results with oil paints. The weathering sets are pretty much makeup for tanks.
I found them to be great for doing dust and mud smears on stuff, but you really need to buy more applicators.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

I found them to be great for doing dust and mud smears on stuff, but you really need to buy more applicators.

Speaking of applicators. Not sure what the ones in that specific kit are like, but these things work great for a lot of things, and compared to the applicators found in the hobby industry... cheap as hell at 2.5 cents each:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EE1OK0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Locator posted:

Speaking of applicators. Not sure what the ones in that specific kit are like, but these things work great for a lot of things, and compared to the applicators found in the hobby industry... cheap as hell at 2.5 cents each:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EE1OK0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I went to Boots and got basically a pack of these.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The UPS man just dropped off some boxes...

Toys!

:dance:

The Locator fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 15, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is this your equipment to cut custom pieces of wood for your ships?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

This is what I'm looking at them for basically. I've got a lot of other weathering washes and the like but dust and mud smears sounds really neat. I want to try out their snow one too as I'm not confident on how to tackle snow/frost on vehicles.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kibner posted:

Is this your equipment to cut custom pieces of wood for your ships?

The one on the left is a Byrnes table saw - http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw5.html

The one on the right is a Byrnes thickness sander - http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/sander5.html

So yes. You cut the billets of wood down into workable sizes with a band-saw, then you use the table saw to cut them into very straight piece just slightly oversized, and then use the thickness sander to finish the sides to exact dimension. Both are capable of accuracy down to about .001" ~.002".

Also, the table saw can do anything a full sized table saw can do, just at a much smaller scale and more precisely, so notching or cutting steps into wood or making grates. I'm constantly amazed by the different uses for the saw that guys come up with on Model Ship World.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 15, 2016

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Finished the little Takoyaki stand. It was fun doing all the little accessories and landscaping, and nice that it came with all the landscaping stuff.

They have all sorts of kits available at http://www.billy-doll.co.jp but I haven't ordered from there, not sure if they ship overseas.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Granite Octopus posted:

Finished the little Takoyaki stand. It was fun doing all the little accessories and landscaping, and nice that it came with all the landscaping stuff.

They have all sorts of kits available at http://www.billy-doll.co.jp but I haven't ordered from there, not sure if they ship overseas.

If you can't get them from there, this Amazon seller has a few: https://www.amazon.com/l/ref=sr_hi_1/9310961011

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I'm going to venture into painting for the first time, but I don't have the room for an airbrush. I enjoy hand painting details so I figured why not try to hand paint a model. I'm using enamel paints, so I'm curious on what kind of primer I should use or if I should use primer at all?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The_Rob posted:

So I'm going to venture into painting for the first time, but I don't have the room for an airbrush. I enjoy hand painting details so I figured why not try to hand paint a model. I'm using enamel paints, so I'm curious on what kind of primer I should use or if I should use primer at all?

So long as you're hand painting with enamels, I've never seen the need to use a primer. You just need to keep the paints on the thicker side and they'll stick just fine to bare plastic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Thick enamel will happily gloop over any details, don't overdo it. Thankfully 24 hours in pine sol and a hard brushing clears it right off, in my experience.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
As others have said, enamel will stick to just about anything. If you still want to go with a primer though, just grab a rattle-can of Tamiyas Fine Surface Primer. It's probably the best spray primer for plastic models out there. Maybe a little pricey for the amount you get, but it gives great results, has no real caveats, and is easily attainable in local hobby shops and online.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Thank you guys. I think I'm going to go without primer. Saves me a trip to the store anyway.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

The UPS man just dropped off some boxes...

Toys!

:dance:

I'd love to see more of those in action. At my day job I work in a metalworking shop and man, the level of quality I see in those tiny machines is fairly well stunning for the price. I literally paid the same price for a 10" Bosch table saw that likely doesn't cut as well as those Byrnes.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
poo poo's done, yo.

Got no prizes in the competition though.

Not really happy with the terrain and the figures outside the tank, they were a bit rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
I really like the weathering on the Panzer. Mind going into a bit of detail on the painting process?

got fired from Snopes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 17, 2016