Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

Hmmm.... what are these envelopes that were in my mailbox?

It's postal votes!

What to do, what to do...?

I guess I'll put that 1 in there, Ken.

Two fresh postal votes, from us to you! You're off the mark!

No loving democracy sausages in the envelopes, sadly.

you're supposed to number every box

I'm not surprised that you're as bad at election voting as you are at mafia voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Birdstrike posted:

you're supposed to number every box

I'm not surprised that you're as bad at election voting as you are at mafia voting

So sulky :engleft:. I did number the others, but I left them as a mystery to be solved by the reader.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I'd vote for that Greens candidate purely based on their dog photos!

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I love this article so much. It's like the type of thing that you get linked to AFTER a housing crash as evidence of how insane things got. They even plug loving Uber and Upwork as a way for young people to build up money!

http://www.domain.com.au/news/six-properties-at-24-from-housing-commission-to-property-investor-20160614-gpht77/

quote:

Growing up in housing commission with a single mum in the Mount Druitt area on Sydney’s outskirts, Edward Dilleen has bucked the trend and accrued a portfolio of six investment properties. And he’s only 24.

But it’s not wealthy parents or a high-paying job that has allowed him to leapfrog many other 20-somethings yet to even buy a first home. It’s property know-how and goal setting from an early age.

“I want to get to the stage where I’m able to purchase my dream house. Whether that’s acreage or whether it’s a beachfront, I’m not quite sure yet, but it’s something where I just want to have that security there,” Mr Dilleen said.

“I don’t want to have to be worried about money. Growing up I felt helpless and it’s something I never want to feel again.”

Working at McDonalds part-time for several years of high school, reading property investment books in his spare time, he managed to save about $20,000. This became his deposit and costs for a $138,000 apartment in Tuggerawong, NSW, which he bought at 19.

Two years later, living at home with his mum and continuing to save, he used some savings and some equity growth in the Tuggerawong property to purchase a townhouse in Elizabeth South, South Australia for under $150,000.

After a year-long break, he went on a buying spree. In 18 months from January 2015, he bought four properties, including three apartments in Queensland and another townhouse in South Australia.

Today, he has $1.17 million worth of real estate in his portfolio with a debt level of 69 per cent and a salary under $50,000 at a new job in customer service with property investment firm Binvested – though said he built his portfolio before joining the company.

“I want to have 10 [properties] before I’m 26,” he said, already planning to buy the seventh before the end of 2016.

When being paid a modest income, the trick to accruing many properties was making rental yield a strong focus, he said.

A rental return of 5.2 per cent is a rule of thumb when investing, which equates to $100 of weekly rent for every $100,000 of the property value. But he aims for gross rental yields in excess of 10 per cent.

Many of his sub-$150,000 purchases rent for in excess of $250 a week. This means the rent paid by the tenant covers not only the mortgage repayment, but also council fees, bills and necessary repairs.

His property portfolio returns $1500 a week, or about $200 a week in his pocket after costs. He uses this money to pay down the mortgages further, build a security buffer and save for future investments.

To reach his goal of owning 10 properties, he is considering taking on a second job as a bartender at a local pub to ramp up his income.

But investing and accumulating many properties at a young age with income limitations is a difficult prospect for many, Pass Go Home Loans managing director Jamie Moore said.

For others to invest in these circumstances, he recommended living at home with the parents and paying no rent or board, or renting somewhere cheap.

Young investors should also have “no other debt” and focus on positively-geared properties, “because lenders will only use 80 per cent of gross rental income – and some lenders will place a cap on the rental yield they’ll take into account”.

Lenders with a generous borrowing capacity calculator, careful planning of which lenders to use at certain points and a cash buffer to mitigate risk would also be crucial, he said.

Young investors should also embrace delayed gratification, Binvested buyer’s agent Nathan Birch said.

“Yes, the dream home in a dream suburb might be unachievable straight up but there are other suburbs that may be more affordable right now. All successful people started at the bottom and worked their way up,” Mr Birch said.

“Change your strategy, buy investment properties in affordable areas and then work your way up to a dream home.”

Young Australians could also consider maximising their income in the sharing economy, through sites such as Uber, Upwork and Airtasker, he said.

Mortgage Choice chief executive John Flavell recommended undertaking a significant amount of due diligence before buying a property – researching where provides the best yields.

“After researching the market, it is important for investors to consider what they want from their investment property,” Mr Flavell said.

“Many people make the error of believing property investment will make them millionaires overnight. This is simply not the case,” he said.

Like I grew up in Mt Druitt too so good on him I guess, but still, this can't be sustainable. Where do they even find these stories, is it from the quoted 'Pass Go Home Loans'?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Domain is this hilkarious little bubble that every now and then posts 21 year olds with 21 properties and you can do it too

also 21 million in debt

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I like his 'i just don't want to worry about money' spiel.

It's like, isn't he aware of the massive Sword of Damocles hanging over his head?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
He probably doesn't exist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
More than anything else, the mention of Airtasker there made me twitch.

That loving site murdered any hope of decent office work for me in Adelaide by farming all the entry-level stuff out to the lowest bidder. So I guess I should thank it, because now I live in a city that isn't dying.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Lid posted:

Domain is this hilkarious little bubble that every now and then posts 21 year olds with 21 properties and you can do it too

also 21 million in debt

I was gonna say, wasn't this exact same story posted last year? "I want 10 properties by the time I'm 30, no I don't believe in investment bubbles, America's was a fluke"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Paingod556 posted:

I was gonna say, wasn't this exact same story posted last year? "I want 10 properties by the time I'm 30, no I don't believe in investment bubbles, America's was a fluke"

also this

http://www.domain.com.au/news/what-does-1-million-get-you-around-australia-20160610-gpegtt/

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah.

I assume it was a politically strategic move, as 1 less liberal seat is 1 less liberal towards house majority, but I've got little sympathy they're getting poo poo for it. Last and Second Last is all well and good but it's Fred loving Nile.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
A reachtel poll makes it seem as if Oakeshott might have a chance in Cowper, which I'm super surprised and happy about because gently caress Hartsuyker

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

This has Young Labor fingerprints all over it, it's practically dripping with their tears

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hawaiian_robot posted:

This has Young Labor fingerprints all over it, it's practically dripping with their tears

Friendly Jordies likes this.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Skellybones posted:

Hey I just mentioned the time my ancestor ordered his troops to bayonet thousands of Americans while they slept.

you have the worst brain in all of auspol, and I include Anidav in that statement, and it's impossible for anyone to read your posts without becoming slightly dumber.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LibertyCat posted:

you have the worst brain in all of auspol, and I include Anidav in that statement, and it's impossible for anyone to read your posts without becoming slightly dumber.

Don't sign your posts.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LibertyCat posted:

turn your monitor on

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't this sort of contradict your earlier argument that weapons bans just couldn't work in the US and that it would take a huge amount of resources in order to be barely effectual?

Only if you assume they'd be a highly desirable item for criminals, and the ban has prevented their abuse.

If you're up to no good you want something concealable and easy to carry - eg a pistol, which is used in many more crimes than rifles.

An Assault Rifle set to full-auto (like an antique M16 before they were made burst-only) will empty its magazine in 2 seconds flat, and will probably have most rounds missing or hitting the same target 20 times. Militaries tend to discourage full-auto because aimed fire is more effective. A huge SAW is heavy and expensive. I guess the odd nutbar could fire one into a crowd or something but again they could just drive their car onto train tracks or throw a few molotov cocktails into a moshpit or something. It doesn't make sense to waste money guarding against IRL Joker when he will always find a way and that money could be better spent stopping the countless everyday murders.

I think if you had a magic wand making all pistols disappear would give better results than making all Rifles disappear.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

LibertyCat, thank you for your consistent demonstration of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

You don't deserve kittens today. You are all horrible.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
if i could get a magical gun wand frankly i'd just get rid of them all

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ban all guns
Redraw the boarders of the middle east through diplomacy.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

My great-great-great-great-great-???-grandfather was not a terrorist, he was British.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Please don't include my username in your posts. The only username worth mentioning relating to your posts is your own as its often what people will need to type to add to their ignore lists.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Please don't include my username in your posts. The only username worth mentioning relating to your posts is your own as its often what people will need to type to add to their ignore lists.
:perfect:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think the point that LibertyCat is trying to make is that brown people should be illegal or at least highly regulated.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LibertyCat posted:

I think if you had a magic wand making all pistols disappear would give better results than making all Rifles disappear.

img - whynotboth

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Trusting civilians with a weapon
I've made a huge mistake.gif

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog:

You don't deserve kittens today. You are all horrible.

First first dog I've read in months, didn't need kittens for a change.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Shunkymonky posted:

I love this article so much. It's like the type of thing that you get linked to AFTER a housing crash as evidence of how insane things got. They even plug loving Uber and Upwork as a way for young people to build up money!

http://www.domain.com.au/news/six-properties-at-24-from-housing-commission-to-property-investor-20160614-gpht77/

Like I grew up in Mt Druitt too so good on him I guess, but still, this can't be sustainable. Where do they even find these stories, is it from the quoted 'Pass Go Home Loans'?

Countdown to 'young investor declares bankruptcy' article starts now

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Starshark posted:

img - whynotboth

because it's impossible - banning drugs was a huge failure and guns aren't consumables. It's a hypothetical situation.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LibertyCat posted:

because it's impossible - banning drugs was a huge failure and guns aren't consumables. It's a hypothetical situation.

You sure give up easy you big wuss. I bet you haven't got a girlfriend.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
On the other hand, guns aren't addictive and don't give you a chemical high that alleviates your lovely and monotonous life. It's not really a 1:1 comparison.

Banning drugs didn't work, so why would banning hand grenades? :shrug:

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

On the other hand, guns aren't addictive and don't give you a chemical high that alleviates your lovely and monotonous life. It's not really a 1:1 comparison.

Banning drugs didn't work, so why would banning hand grenades? :shrug:

A lot of US citizens still like their guns, despite lack of chemical addiction. If the US had 300 million hand grenades scattered around people's homes you wouldn't be able to make them disappear either.

Starshark posted:

No u.

But please tell me your master plan for getting rid of 300 million guns. You don't know where most of them are, they're easy to hide, and many owners aren't going to willingly give them up. If you get rid of half, but they came from law-abiding citizens and 90% of crims kept theirs, you don't get to claim 50% victory either.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 15, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It is the right of every American and or Australian to own a drum fed grenade launcher filled with a mixture of fragmentation grenades and bomblet land mines. To say otherwise is tyranny.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Skellybones posted:

It is the right of every American and or Australian to own a drum fed grenade launcher filled with a mixture of fragmentation grenades and bomblet land mines. To say otherwise is tyranny.

this but unironically

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Skellybones posted:

Well yeah I need it to protect my family

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Banning drugs didn't work, so why would banning nuclear weapons? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Starshark posted:

Libertarians are equally lovely to women as they are to non-whites, so you're likely spot on.

• Locked thread