Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Obligatory reminder that Howl was also supposedly intended to launch 6 months earlier than it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Power of Pecota posted:

At the same time NPR's Freakonomics radio is way way better than question of the day.

The non-Freakonomics guy on Question of the Day comes across as a total idiot so I have no idea why I'd listen to an advice podcast with a guy like that on it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Great Sean + Chris Gethard HH today. I had no idea Sean and Chris go back so far, that was a really sweet moment.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Speaking of Chris Gethard's old UCB friends, definitely watch this episode of his show to see Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas reminisce/steamroll the poo poo out of him and also to experience the best reveal in TV this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwi_kE0gy94

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Speaking of Chris Gethard's old UCB friends, definitely watch this episode of his show to see Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas reminisce/steamroll the poo poo out of him and also to experience the best reveal in TV this year

best episode of tcgs of all time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Reformed Pissboy posted:

this is easily the winner for 'thing I needed to see today' for the past few days. This is fantastic and I had no idea it was even a thing.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I'm gonna echo what's already been said and say that everybody's gotta watch this. By the end of the episode, I was losing my drat mind.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
having been there for that taping, i can confirm they cut out a good twenty minutes of their steamrolling of Chris. it was SPECTACULAR.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Haha wow already they're steamrolling him and because he's Chris Gethard he can't take control.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

having been there for that taping, i can confirm they cut out a good twenty minutes of their steamrolling of Chris. it was SPECTACULAR.

Twenty? I was watching the taping live, and it seemed like the better part of an hour that they cut out. It made it so much better when Chris finally broke down and showed Paul then Jason, because otherwise they would have torpedoed it completely.

Though I'm pretty convinced that (do NOT read this if you haven't watched it) the caller never said Paul Giamatti, and that Scheer somehow misheard it, then Chris repeated it incredulously. Sounded like "full body" in actuality to me .

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 15, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

scary ghost dog posted:

best episode of tcgs of all time
Nah, that's the wrestling episode from the week after

It's the definitely the Fusion episode that feels the most like the public access years though.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

ManoliIsFat posted:

Great Sean + Chris Gethard HH today. I had no idea Sean and Chris go back so far, that was a really sweet moment.

Could someone pleaaaaase explain the Mike Lawrence thing?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Shunkymonky posted:

Could someone pleaaaaase explain the Mike Lawrence thing?

When he guested on the show he was non-plussed about the concept and actively hostile towards the hosts. I guess Sean mentioned him in pre-taping chit-chat about how the show's weird and sometimes people don't get it.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Ah, thankyou. I actively skip any HH episodes that this thread outs as going horribly awkward because I am a big baby coward so skipped it.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I just assumed Chris had heard that episode since it seems like the type of thing he would love
Edit: Oh man that dumpster reveal was great

Thelonius Van Funk fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 15, 2016

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I thought the Mike Lawrence ep was really funny with them running circles around him and making crazier and crazier bits for him to go :confused: about

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That episode did a good job of making Mike Lawrence look like a dumb idiot

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Though I'm pretty convinced that (do NOT read this if you haven't watched it) the caller never said Paul Giamatti, and that Scheer somehow misheard it, then Chris repeated it incredulously. Sounded like "full body" in actuality to me .

I'm wondering if Paul already knew what was in the dumpster and his mishearing was either a slip-up or a purposeful hint.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I don't think Paul could fake the look of delight on his face after he saw what was in there. It had to be real, which is crazy!

I've been missing out on this show apparently. I'll need to binge through it this weekend.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Nemo posted:

I'll need to binge through it this weekend.
this was the first PA ep I watched, it's fun and gross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgoAg6-2mAA

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Reformed Pissboy posted:

This was beautiful, thank you. I saw all the splitsider buzz about this when it happened, but so glad I watched it.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Berzerker posted:

That episode did a good job of making Mike Lawrence look like a dumb idiot

That and every other thing I've seen him in

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nemo posted:

I've been missing out on this show apparently. I'll need to binge through it this weekend.

Well there's 150+ episodes of the public access show available on their YouTube channel as well. So it might take you a bit more time than that.

Everyone should watch The Chris Gethard Show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Don't bother with season 1 of the Fusion show, they only had 20-minutes per episode last year and the whole season felt over-edited and rushed.

This season has been good though, some episodes were duds but overall it was a nice return to their free-flowing PA weirdness. If you like basketball or John Hodgman at all go watch the Slam Dunks & Slam Poetry one.

Yes, that's John f'n Starks high-fiving Hodgman. That one and the wrestling episode feel like a weird fever dream where all my fvorite things get mashed together into a delicious mess.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 15, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of the dumpster episode of The Chris Gethard Show there's now a longer, unedited cut. But you definitely shouldn't watch it unless you've watched the original version, because this version also contains the view from inside the dumpster of Giamatti just hanging out. So that's a good 40 minutes more of Mantzoukas and Scheer loving around for y'all.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 15, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember reading the TVIV thread for TCGS a few years ago and always meant to check it out, but promptly forgot of course. I then remember it coming back up when he was on Fusion, so myself and a housemate just jumped into the then latest episode, which was the sleep deprivation one. The next day I went back to the PA years, and watched 8 episodes in a row.

I'm going to watch through the Fusion s1/s2 episodes as I can (as I've been super lax), but I so, so, so heartily recommend doing the public access ones from the beginning. It's amazing to watch the show evolve, and as it's insanely built on in-jokes and characters, you'll get so much more out of it. It also helps that the very first episode is super watchable and chaotic, and pretty different to what the show became.

White Out Athletics! White Power!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hard Nation is still killing it every week if anyone hasn't checked it out yet

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Speaking of the dumpster episode of The Chris Gethard Show there's now a longer, unedited cut. But you definitely shouldn't watch it unless you've watched the original version, because this version also contains the view from inside the dumpster of Giamatti just hanging out. So that's a good 40 minutes more of Mantzoukas and Scheer loving around for y'all.

Oh my god, this is so good. I'm really glad the full post-reveal discussion was captured.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Im just now listening to the latest hdtgm and I just have to say that a regular person giving 400 bucks to the podcast with the most ads and three succesful actors that work incredibly consistently blows my god damned mind

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

you gotta keep those lights on somehow!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Im just now listening to the latest hdtgm and I just have to say that a regular person giving 400 bucks to the podcast with the most ads and three succesful actors that work incredibly consistently blows my god damned mind

Holy poo poo, am I glad you said this. I've been trying to work out for ages if HDTGM had more ads than the average Earwolf podcast, or if it just felt that way because of how jarring the breaks are, and how comparatively dull Paul is at reading them compared to a Paul F. or whatever.

I was convinced it was just me.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I feel like hdtgm has more add breaks than most shows but at least Paul mostly just reads copy and doesn't go on 6 minute tangents about square space.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I know it's the most popular show on ear wolf so they can have all the ads they want but it is kind of weird that the show with the three most successful, career wise, people with an earwolf podcast has the most 80 dollar ads for Lisa mattresses. Or maybe it's not weird, maybe that in Bourne hustle and willingness to sell is part of why they're all working... Hard to say.:..

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I think it's because so many people just can't believe how this got made

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I think they have roughly the same number of ads but they're more noticeable because they never remember to take a break during the record so they indiscriminately cut the commercial into the middle of a word.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

There's a great moment in I4H where Matt Besser reads an old 1932 yearbook belonging to his grandma. You'll be (not) shocked at the casual racism.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wish Besser hadn't been embarrassed to read it and just said it offhand so we could have heard everyone's natural reactions. But yeah. That was great, loved all the old timey language that was pulled out around that segment.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The Pistol Shrimps documentary is on Seeso now and it's good. It doesn't place a lot of emphasis on comedy but the player profiles are very well done and hearing the positive impact of the team/league on everyone's lives is really nice to hear :)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What percentage includes Gourley and McConville?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the heads up, I definitely want to see that. Do they do any retrospective season podcasts or is that it for... However long the off season is. Shame to end on an episode without both guys there. Looking forward to its return though, it's just so unique I always make time for it.