Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Action Jackson is going to give the source code to middle out to Gavin who will drop the important parts into a hooli package. He will then pass this off to Russ who will put it up on the Hooli store using a shell company. The CEO of this shell company will be Bighead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

kiimo posted:

Linked In is loving worthless (or 26 billion I guess). Has anybody ever gotten a job with it? ever.

It's basically vendors and sales-based retards trying to connect with people in corporations. Unless people have experiences that differ than mine. I'm not sure what Microsoft wants with it, short of integrating Word with the resume software. Do they just want the customer base?

Basically does anyone think this will help either company?

In my field, it seems to be a thing. I don't know about for cold offers, but at the few recruiting events I've gone to, I've been asked for mine repeatedly.

I think recruiters would much rather leave with a pocket full of business cards (with a link on them) than a pile of stapled resumes, and it's much easier to link someone from there to applied work like publications or Github.

I'm skeptical that that's worth 26 billion dollars, but here we are.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean don't get me wrong I have an account and spent a lot of time trying to limit how often that stupid company would send me worthless emails. I got it just perfect. Then when I was out of a job I actually tried to use it to find a job and it was hilariously pointless. I feel like you go about getting a job the normal way and then after you get the interview that's when it comes in handy. Which means it's basically a glorified resume site.

It was pretty funny for a while there when linked in, yahoo and gmail were all trying to turn their email hosts into some kind of wanna-be facebook social media poo poo, like I'm going to chat with my friends through that. Which brings us to Hotmail, which just changed all their poo poo around today.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome episode. Everything with Russ, Action Jack and Gavin were probably my favorite parts. But in an episode with the jacket, Erlich constantly loving himself, and Laurie being an ice cold robot it's a difficult call.

LinkedIn is mildly useful for its users, but that's not important. What is important is how the gently caress is it useful to Microsoft. Specifically, more useful than twenty six billion in cash. And I just don't know, it's even more bizarre than WhatsApp. As this article points out, pretty much every possible benefit MS could get out of it, could've been also achieved with a more specific deal worth a couple mil.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Awesome episode. Everything with Russ, Action Jack and Gavin were probably my favorite parts. But in an episode with the jacket, Erlich constantly loving himself, and Laurie being an ice cold robot it's a difficult call.

LinkedIn is mildly useful for its users, but that's not important. What is important is how the gently caress is it useful to Microsoft. Specifically, more useful than twenty six billion in cash. And I just don't know, it's even more bizarre than WhatsApp. As this article points out, pretty much every possible benefit MS could get out of it, could've been also achieved with a more specific deal worth a couple mil.

I wonder if LinkedIn have a group of employees or a skunk works division Microsoft wants badly? And this is the only clean way to get them. It might also make their own hr department very happy admin access to all of the that recruiting information and a way to see what their employees are up to.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I never thought about it but if you didn't want Microsoft to have your information but you did want Linked In to have it I guess you're just screwed and don't have any other choice? Microsoft now has a huge database of people. Maybe that's what they want. There's definitely some angle they aren't morons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's almost definitely a play to 'corner the job application process market.' If they can get businesses' HR departments to pay for Enterprise-level access to LinkedIn's database, then those same businesses *require* new applicants to register for LinkedIn to apply for or submit their preexisting application/CV through LinkedIn because it saves maybe five minutes per application review and a ton of space in file cabinets, they'll do it. Want a job doing something other than stocking shelves? Pay Microsoft $20 for a month of LinkedIn membership or $179/year.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I heard LinkedIn got bought by Microsoft. Still haven't tried it, probably won't. :ocelot:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

Microsoft now has a huge database of people. Maybe that's what they want.
That's almost certainly what they want. Facebook, Google, and Apple already have a lot of people's information. From a competitive standpoint, Microsoft would be fools to not want a piece of that. Of course, there's the fact that this is creepy as all hell and has the ability to be abused for nefarious purposes, but ethical considerations don't come into play here.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Hanneman's line about having a chick ready to gently caress... If only the bridesmaids would stop cock blocking him was subtly awesome.

Actual line: "speaking of, I've got this girl at the bar I'm trying to take up the presidential suite before her bridesmaids ruin the whole loving thing, but they're telling me it's booked"

And he bounced that Apple off his bicep.

Didn't think I was going to miss him when he was written off, yet here we are.

E: "I actually thought about having you killed".

glyph fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone know the type of glowy green keyboard Gilfoyle uses?

kiimo posted:

I never thought about it but if you didn't want Microsoft to have your information but you did want Linked In to have it I guess you're just screwed and don't have any other choice? Microsoft now has a huge database of people. Maybe that's what they want. There's definitely some angle they aren't morons.

Is this Silicon Valley or Person of Interest :slick:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Binary Logic posted:

Anyone know the type of glowy green keyboard Gilfoyle uses?

Given that it's been noted Gilfoyle uses a PC while everyone else uses Macs, and green is kind of a Razer staple, I'd assume it's a Razer keyboard.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Between Azure, giving away Windows 10 basically free to everyone, including the pirates, and now buying LinkedIn, I'd say that Microsoft is positioning themselves to be the Facebook of enterprise, if what I just typed makes any sense. Charging people for creating a LinkedIn profile is not their business model. Getting your professional info is useless for them. But they want to be the only name that comes to mind whenever anyone with enough money thinks "I want to build this thing, I need people and infrastructure".

As for the show itself, that was quite the curveball they did with Laurie. I mean, all things considered it was a very rational thing to do when you are a dried up, emotionless husk of a person, but right now there is no way to just ignore this when there is any interaction involving her. She is basically the season's villain now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rexides posted:

As for the show itself, that was quite the curveball they did with Laurie. I mean, all things considered it was a very rational thing to do when you are a dried up, emotionless husk of a person, but right now there is no way to just ignore this when there is any interaction involving her. She is basically the season's villain now.

I wouldn't say villain, she's obviously working toward Pied Piper's success, and supported Richard's platform over Action Jack's box. Even after Gavin Belson valued Endframe's platform at $250 mil, the fact was that Jack had a concrete deal for their box that would have made them a lot of money instantly, and so I gave her some respect for putting faith in the crew to produce a valuable platform rather than going with the guaranteed payday. I mean, I'm sure Elizabeth Holmes could tell you something about the accuracy of a company's financial valuation.

But in the end, she's a corporate financial manager, and she's going to make the most profitable decisions for her company. I wouldn't have expected her to use her leverage to completely ruin Erlich, but it makes sense in a certain robotic sort of way. She's definitely more ruthless and focused on the bottom line than I would have thought, but I still don't see her working against the core engineers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's people like her that would do that with a smile to your face. At may she was forthright and didn't hide it. And as she said, Richard is the one who enabled her to do it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

It also shows how in a hole Richard is.

We now know she has both control of the board and the shares. It confirms Richard might be CEO but he is not the boss.

As a side note how does that interact with contracts with share options? Does he have to get board level authorisation?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
But if she valued Erlich's shares so low doesn't that pull all the shares down? She's now set a price for PP far below what it was. That is, if Erlich's 10% was valued at $713,000, then Laurie Bream of Raviga Capital has determined that 100% of the company's shares is only worth $7,130,000.

So while Bachman is taking all the hits for selling off his shares, to me it seems that Laurie has screwed over everyone, because now it is known that she has the ultimate power to allow trading and to set the price, which she'll only do for her own advantage.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 15, 2016

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think Erlich is an even bigger villain for scamming Baghead.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

But if she valued Erlich's shares so low doesn't that pull all the shares down? She's now set a price for PP far below what it was. That is, if Erlich's 10% was valued at $713,000, then Laurie Bream of Raviga Capital has determined that 100% of the company's shares is only worth $7,130,000.

So while Bachman is taking all the hits for selling off his shares, to me it seems that Laurie has screwed over everyone, because now it is known that she has the ultimate power to allow trading and to set the price, which she'll only do for her own advantage.

What something would sell for on the open market is not necessarily what they can be sold for in a private sale. For example, Erlich could have gifted his shares to someone, effectively selling them for $0.00. That doesn't mean that all stock is now at that price. Now, it could mean that if news got out about the amount of the sale, that could undervalue the bulk of the stock, but it doesn't automatically set the price of all of the other stock. At least, I don't think it does. If it did, then evildoers in finance could buy stock, accumulate a decent chunk of a company, and then destroy it by purposefully selling the stock at below market value.

As for Laurie, the only thing that's changed is that we all know now that she's had this power all along. And honestly, Richard should have known it already. Remember Ross cluing Richard in to the the idea that something may not have gone according to Erlich's plan? When Richard didn't have any idea what he was talking about, Ross quipped, "You don't know how your loving company works?"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Binary Logic posted:

Does it work like that? I was under the impression that Erlich's deal wasn't publicized, and that even if it got out, since Erlich was having financial difficulties and the deal was made under duress, it was not really a true valuation of the company shares.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Y-Hat posted:

That's almost certainly what they want. Facebook, Google, and Apple already have a lot of people's information. From a competitive standpoint, Microsoft would be fools to not want a piece of that. Of course, there's the fact that this is creepy as all hell and has the ability to be abused for nefarious purposes, but ethical considerations don't come into play here.

The American Deep State, powered by Microsoft™

Rexides posted:

Reminds me of Spock's ex-wife. Perfectly logical.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Binary Logic posted:

Pied Piper hasn't had an IPO. The shares aren't publicly traded.

Which, if you think about it, is a logical place for them to go in a future season. It's rife with comedy to be mined.

Richard's neurosis while watching the stock bounce around with every decision he makes.
Erlich having to play by different PR rules.
Gilfoyle having to accept becoming a cog in the capitalist machine again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 15, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given that it's been noted Gilfoyle uses a PC while everyone else uses Macs, and green is kind of a Razer staple, I'd assume it's a Razer keyboard.
drat, you've got that Silicon Valley condescending nerd tone perfected lol

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

drat, you've got that Silicon Valley condescending nerd tone perfected lol

It's even better if you read it in Gilfoyle's voice and tweak it a little.

"Given that it's been noted that I use a PC while everyone else uses Mac, and green is kind of a Razer staple, I'd assume it's a Razer keyboard. But that's just me and my penchant for using logic to guess the answers to very easy questions. I suppose I could look for additional clues. Well, look at that. Someone printed a Razer logo on my keyboard. We find the one responsible for that, and we'll be one step closer to identifying the mysterious corporation who produced my keyboard."

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I bet he has also set it to DVORAK.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Catching up, holy poo poo the lawyer at the end of S2 is amazing

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think Bachman had to sell his shares he is just an idiot. All she was able to do using control of the board was block the sale of any portion of the stock to anyone other than herself and refuse to allow the sale of any amount other than Bachman's full share. None of this goes into effect until the next board meeting so there is still time for him to refuse the sale provided he can give her the money back.

Even if he had allowed to court proceedings to go thought they would not have forced him to sell his shares for below value to pay it. He should have easily been able to borrow against his shares to repay his debts.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DrPlump posted:

I don't think Bachman had to sell his shares he is just an idiot. All she was able to do using control of the board was block the sale of any portion of the stock to anyone other than herself and refuse to allow the sale of any amount other than Bachman's full share. None of this goes into effect until the next board meeting so there is still time for him to refuse the sale provided he can give her the money back.

How can he give the money back? He paid his creditors. They have his money.

The question of whether or not he had to sell his shares depends on only one thing: how dangerous was the news that he hadn't paid for his million dollar party? When that news got out, what is the worst that could have happened? Because the news was about to come out, and that was the sole impetus driving him to sell off some of his shares before the product launched.

quote:

Even if he had allowed to court proceedings to go thought they would not have forced him to sell his shares for below value to pay it. He should have easily been able to borrow against his shares to repay his debts.

Borrow against the barely-defined and wholly speculative value of the stock of a company with no product, stock that hasn't even gone public yet? If you can find me a banker who'll do that, pass his contact info along.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DrPlump posted:

He'd still be in the same situation since the board controls the stock and the court will just say "liquidate your stock."

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

He'd still be in the same situation since the board controls the stock and the court will just say "liquidate your stock."

I guess this explains why she offered him exactly the amount needed to pay his creditors. Had she offered him less he could argue against liquidation in court.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The court isn't gonna care if he sells at a loss or not, just that he pays his debtors. If he's short he's short.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It sounded like his compensation package is going to be made up of mostly equity anyway, so he might come out of the whole thing with a pretty good chunk of shares + a salary anyway. Not that it isn't lovely what happened, though.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like he hosed him self on the the stock by throwing a million dollar party.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DrPlump posted:

Sounds like he hosed him self on the the stock by throwing a million dollar party.

Well deduced DrPlump, really cutting through the narrative here, where would we be without you. :ironicat:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For a while, he was actually clearly using a Mac keyboard with his PC, but he switched to a Razer Black Widow at some point.

The Mac keyboard (without a num pad which is extra weird):

You can tell it's a Razer now because you can see the logo beneath the space bar.

Razer Black Widow:

... and of course Gilfoyle would use something called a Black Widow.

I also think it's probably a Chroma specifically because you can change the colour on those and sometimes Gilfoyle's keyboard is actually blue lately too.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 15, 2016

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

At the very least Erlich could've refinanced his house to pay his debts.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rexides posted:

I bet he has also set it to DVORAK.

The keycaps are still in QWERTY layout, of course...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

gret posted:

That would have been the smart thing to do, but it's a TV show. Ride it out until the company goes public, sell a couple % at issue to become set for life and ride the remaining 8-9.5% out through retirement.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

gret posted:

Depends on his equity. If that house is worth 1.5m and he has half of it paid off there is no refinancing he could do to get 750k of liquid cash or whatever.

I was thinking a loan to pay immediate debts. I'm not sure the details of using stock as collateral, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt anyone would want stock whose sale Laurie could singlehandedly cockblock. Anyway, it's hard to feel too sorry for Elrich since he's been such an stupid rear end to everyone, as entertaining as it has been.

• Locked thread