Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Drunk in Space posted:

The episode was terrible and everything about Arya and the Waif's storyline was dumb as hell, but I must say I did like that one Matrix-esque shot of the camera pulling away from Arya and you see the Waif pounding away relentlessly like a robot on the wall behind her. It looked completely out of place on the show, but it was a cool shot nonetheless.

It worked well in tandem with the early shot of the Hound appearing in frame to decapitate that one dude. Other than that these episodes were terribly directed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Anos posted:

This would be the point where she has learned the cold reality of the GoT universe and lays waste to her enemies. If they spend another season or two diddling around with ineffectual diplomacy then I really don't know what they want with her character.

Personally I just want to see her flying dragons and conquering poo poo and burning people and cities and rampaging through Westeros with an army on eunucs and mongols and moving desperate ignorant people with populist speeches, like the cute megalomaniac powerhunger teenager she is

Her character is actually cool when she does this kind of stuff

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 15, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Dany's arc took her from sex slave to queen bitch, she's nice to her friends, she wants to help the poor and downtrodden, and she set a bunch of slavers, rapists and warlocks on fire. Her being a fan favorite is not at all puzzling, and she'd have to be terrible for several more seasons for the inertia to wear off.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 15, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If you want to have an even lower opinion of this week's episode, listen to the director talk about it.

http://www.techinsider.io/game-of-thrones-blackfish-and-the-waif-offscreen-scenes-2016-6

quote:

"He's a man who carries a lot of shame for not being in the right place at the right time at the Red Wedding," Mylod said. "He's carried that shame and here was a chance for at least a bit of personal redemption to give himself that moment of dignity.

Alright so the Blackfish is again not going to be in the right place at the right time to help his family out because he's abandoning them to go commit suicide. That's a good thing.

It's personal redemption and a moment of dignity that he made a fool of himself for dying for no reason.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/13/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-explains-why-arya-was-never-goin/

quote:

Williams explains that episode director Mark Mylod and his team wanted Arya's escape from The Waif in episode seven and subsequent chase in No One to be far more theatrical, but the actress maintained that it wasn't Ayra's style.

She said that in her mind, Ayra was really struggling, and wouldn't expend extra energy on pulling cool-looking stunts when she was just trying to stay safe:

"I wanted her to look like she was struggling. I didn’t want [the chase stunts] to be unnecessary or superhuman. I got on set and they were [going to have Arya] rolling around, and diving, and I was like, 'That looks amazing, but no.' I’d be like, 'Why would she run over there? She’d just duck under here and just get out.'"

Apparently they wanted the chase scene to be even more ridiculous but Maisie Williams finally had to stop and go "No, you guys are loving retarded."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, he is brave and stubborn man who feel guilty about not being able to save his family so of course he is going to commit suicide instead of taking the chance to help his niece and then come back to recover his home with her help

You are right, that does makes sense

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

High Septon: Well, congratulations! You got yourself caught! Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Mountain: BURNING THE GREAT SEPT. WITH NO SURVIVORS.

The wildfire rises, brother!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, he is brave and stubborn man who feel guilty about not being able to save his family so of course he is going to commit suicide instead of taking the chance to help his niece and then come back to recover his home with her help

You are right, that does makes sense

Now I have to resist the urge to frame a Dave Hill story "Wouldn't it make sense if, instead of escaping and joining his niece to fight against her oppressors, he instead decided to commit suicide by Lannister for no good reason?"

"You are right, that does make sense."

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If you want to have an even lower opinion of this week's episode, listen to the director talk about it.

http://www.techinsider.io/game-of-thrones-blackfish-and-the-waif-offscreen-scenes-2016-6

Alright so the Blackfish is again not going to be in the right place at the right time to help his family out because he's abandoning them to go commit suicide. That's a good thing.

It's personal redemption and a moment of dignity that he made a fool of himself for dying for no reason.

I thought they were going for the pointless, cyclical nature of violence and holding grudges. No badass death with his corpse surrounded by billions of Frey dead, just an underwhelming anticlimax where he really did embarrass himself and die for no reason. Even Jaime's disappointed, it ruined his otherwise peaceful takeover.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Super Ninja Fish posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/13/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-explains-why-arya-was-never-goin/

Apparently they wanted the chase scene to be even more ridiculous but Maisie Williams finally had to stop and go "No, you guys are loving retarded."

Her facial expression still looks like a total noob during the chase though, but good thing on her putting a foot down on the Jackie Chan nonsense.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Too bad she didn't put her foot down on the stupidity of Arya hanging around in an assassins guild to... tell Jaqqen she was leaving?

Seems to me sneaking in and nailing the Waif's face to a wall was more than enough of a message. And a pan up to her face would have made for an epic cut to black. But no, they need to condescend to the viewer and make it clear she 'really is no one' now! *gasp*

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just realized that the whole thing about putting the Waif face in the wall was important to prevent people from going "but what if the Waif won and actually assumed Arya's identity!!!" for the next 2 years

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Even if that was the case, hanging around the guild to stupidly threaten and intimidate arguably the single most dangerous man in Essos doesn't really solve that problem. It could already be the Waif :v:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Also a few pages back people were talking about the 'corpse wall' spoiler. Anyone care to elaborate?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Now I have to resist the urge to frame a Dave Hill story

Never resist that urge.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

JVNO posted:

Also a few pages back people were talking about the 'corpse wall' spoiler. Anyone care to elaborate?

The wildlings get cornered between Ramsay's soldiers and a corpse wall, only to be rescued by the Knights of the Vale, or something like that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We had an assistant named Mark Mylod. One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Blackfish) whose family gets massacred by the Freys? The one whose survival instinct lets him escape the Red Wedding?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Riverrun when Brienne offers to help him escape and fight for his family? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the lack of a battle for Castle Riverrun, he insists on dying in battle anyway?' This year, Mark Mylod is a writer on the show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
How do you even get a corpse wall anyways? The Battle of Winterfell just idles in one spot or something?

"Doesn't it make sense that if you ran out of space sideways, you'd fight up?," he said.

"I'm high as poo poo, write whatever," D&D replied.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
How did one guy direct an entire episode? He would have to be in three or four different countries to do that. Did they just fly him around for a few days?

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 15, 2016

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Accretionist posted:

"I'm high as poo poo, write whatever," D&D replied.

I like that D&D have fused into one person here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Narmi posted:

How did one guy direct an entire episode? He would have to be in three or four different countries to do that. Did they just fly him around for a few days?

He phoned it in. :keke:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.'

I always love this part of the quote the most because it sounds like they're being hypnotized or Jedi mind tricked or something.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

We had an assistant named Mark Mylod. One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Blackfish) whose family gets massacred by the Freys? The one whose survival instinct lets him escape the Red Wedding?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Riverrun when Brienne offers to help him escape and fight for his family? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the lack of a battle for Castle Riverrun, he insists on dying in battle anyway?' This year, Mark Mylod is a writer on the show.

Needs a sentence somewhere about how "You know how his house words are "Family, Duty, Honor"?

Wouldn't it make sense for him to abandon his family?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Accretionist posted:

How do you even get a corpse wall anyways? The Battle of Winterfell just idles in one spot or something?

During the Battle of Liege in WW1, the Germans lost so many men in their attacks against the Belgian forts that it created these piles of bodies so high that they were able to use them as cover against the Belgian defenders, causing the Belgians to poo poo their pants a bit and start having frantic arguments among themselves about whether they should shoot at the bodies or not, and whether it would even be possible for their bullets to pass through enough bodies to hit the soldiers on the other side.

Granted, these corpse walls were created with the help of machine guns . . .

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Corpse walls could form at the fronts, so if they get flanked and surrounded by Boltons it is a possibility. I'm sure it will be something stupid though.

edit:
Something like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae#Battle_2

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 15, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like how in this analogy, Ramsay is Hannibal

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, until Little Finger shows up to save the day. Ramsay will wind up being Napoleon at Waterloo....ill a better commander than he should be compared to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mark Mylod probably didn't have a lot of choice with the script itself. I don't disagree that his work in these episodes was off-model (though I don't think bad, per se). Most of the poo poo comes from the script itself.

I mean, what's he going to do? Burn bridges with the production team by picking at every scene and plot choice, and end up not work on Game Of Thrones? Two years working with them will keep him working for years in the tv business. Someone like Maisie Williams has ten times the amount of power he has.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So out of the cast that got their big breaks from GoT, who do you think will have the longest/best career? I don't really think any of them will to be honest, but they'll be young, rich, and good looking so infinitely better than I am.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just so we're clear, is there any difference between Jon and Stannis' attack plans other than Jon having a giant? I'm pretty sure Stannis had way more than 2.000 men before the desertion, and Jon has no idea about the desertion or Littlefinger riding to save his rear end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't Stannis hit bad weather? Can't really remember why he burned Shireen besides character assassination.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Just so we're clear, is there any difference between Jon and Stannis' attack plans other than Jon having a giant? I'm pretty sure Stannis had way more than 2.000 men before the desertion, and Jon has no idea about the desertion or Littlefinger riding to save his rear end.

The deserters took all the horses with them, right? An unmounted army versus a mounted one is totally hosed.

Jon's army has horses. And having a giant doesn't hurt.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't Stannis hit bad weather? Can't really remember why he burned Shireen besides character assassination.

Ramsay and his 20 good men sneaked in to his camp and set fire to all their food, cavalry and siege equipment. A few episodes ago Davos (?) said Jon should camp there because Stannis picked it and he was a great commander so it must be a good spot, I think the writers acknowledging the ridiculousness of the 20 good men plan.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yep, it was to stop the blizzard

To be fair, it worked so good the snow never returned and now they can have the bastard battle under a nice weather

Kajeesus posted:

Jon has some guards around the food supply, thus preventing a "20 good men" attack

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 15, 2016

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

Stannis wasn't prepared for a fight in the field, nor did he have any horses. His forces were demoralized (and largely had abandoned him) and weren't acclimated to the North at all, freezing and starving.

The show has made it clear quite a few times that Jon's forces have long odds and are outnumbered. Not really sure why he's so urgent to get to the fight instead of rallying more houses though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Not really sure why he's so urgent to get to the fight instead of rallying more houses though.

I imagine after Hardhome, he's basically in all out panic mode. Ain't time to waste when the undead are gonna roll in any day.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

Stannis was up against 20 good men and dogs. Early this season Brienne, Pod and Theon killed some of those good men and dogs so now it's more even.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Ramsay should do the same thing he did last time and send 20 good men to sabotage Jon's camp. Davos has seen it before so he could anticipate it and set a trap for them.

Ramsay: I just need 20 good men.
Cuts to 20 hanged men.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I imagine after Hardhome, he's basically in all out panic mode. Ain't time to waste when the undead are gonna roll in any day.

Especially since they can teleport thousands of miles nigh instantly, like Littlefinger and Brienne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God damnit guys all this poo poo you're posting is just reinforcing how terrible this show is and it hurts

• Locked thread