Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

So does anyone else have this bug where an enemy just becomes GROSSLY INCANDESCENT and blocks out your entire screen with glare? It seems to fade away eventually and I think it's associated with stuff coming in from distances out of different LODs and can affect enemy players or npcs. I've never had it affect my character directly tho

All the drat time. Can be really useful as an invader though. The host is trying to hide curled up behind some bushes and gets foiled by spontaneous lighthouse syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

I would only think Vordt heavily punishing casters would be clever if he wasn't the second boss of the game.

It does send a helpful message out though, which is put the loving staff away, go grab the sword and kite shield that are conveniently in the same room, and effortlessly sword-and-board your way through the game because From doesn't like magic.

I managed Vordt with a caster, you just have to cast from his butt. Dodge an attack, get behind him, cast soul arrow, repeat. Much like striking with swords, most bosses require you to actively evade attacks and find windows. Vordt teaches you not to stand on the other side of the room and hit spam, because he's moves aggressively and often. The worst thing about fighting him is how low attunement and estus is at that point, so god knows you don't have the FP to clear out the way to him and then kill him unless you're going light on the healing, and his frostbite in phase 2 makes positioning tricky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What the gently caress is with this game being cool enough to have STORM RULER in it from Demon's Souls, and the description says it's super effective against giants, but then after you kill that boss with it when you try it's charged up attack on other giants in the Cathedral of the Deep or whatever it doesn't do jack. :(

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Alright so I'm getting close to wrapping up my NG+ playthrough and I want to 100% this game which I don't do often. Is there any way to cheese the covenants or is that just gonna suck? It really sucks that I'm being punished for deliberately playing the game blind the first time through because now at SL 120 several of the covenants are close to impossible to get via PvP.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Neo Rasa posted:

What the gently caress is with this game being cool enough to have STORM RULER in it from Demon's Souls, and the description says it's super effective against giants, but then after you kill that boss with it when you try it's charged up attack on other giants in the Cathedral of the Deep or whatever it doesn't do jack. :(

If you had read the description more closely you would have noticed it specified "sorta-DS2-but-with-faces" giants ONLY.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Necc0 posted:

Alright so I'm getting close to wrapping up my NG+ playthrough and I want to 100% this game which I don't do often. Is there any way to cheese the covenants or is that just gonna suck? It really sucks that I'm being punished for deliberately playing the game blind the first time through because now at SL 120 several of the covenants are close to impossible to get via PvP.

Start new game and learn to really loving hate Farron Keep. :saddowns:

Fortunately that's the only covenant that is a total loving disaster high level, although 120 might be pushing things a little.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Domattee posted:

All the drat time. Can be really useful as an invader though. The host is trying to hide curled up behind some bushes and gets foiled by spontaneous lighthouse syndrome.

Is this some sort of PC issue? I've done a lot of PvP and I have never encountered glowing hosts, yet I hear it happens in both PvP and PvE. (Playing on the PS4.)

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

8th-snype posted:

Got drunk and used my last NG++ respec to go pure sorcery because reasons. Is there a better sword to use as back up than the crystal infused lothric knight one I'm using now? My faith is 8 so raw rear end is out btw.

If you have the stats for the moonlight greatsword, it's the best weapon for an int build. Otherwise a raw broadsword is a reasonable silver medal (to the raw rear end).

I think pyro is the best starting class for any caster build by far, if you start with any other you're kinda screwing yourself generally speaking. It's better to have 7 luck than 8 faith after all.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 15, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

turtlecrunch posted:

If you had read the description more closely you would have noticed it specified "sorta-DS2-but-with-faces" giants ONLY.

Greatsword with a broken blade, also known as the Giantslayer for the residual strength of storm that brings giants to their knees.
Yhorm the Giant once held two of these, but gave one to the humans who doubted him, and left the other to a dear friend before facing his fate as a Lord of Cinder.

Skill: Storm King
Assume stance to imbue sword with storm. Most effective when facing giants.

???

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Started a second playthrough and I'm trying some invading. Already encountered some good gimmicks, for example a bald and shirtless Bluecop named "Genie" that throws fire and uses a scimitar. I think I fell into some ganksquad's trap, though. There were three dudes all with endgame gear that I ran into. One was huge and had a fume sword, the second had smough's armor and some fuckoff crossbow that fired three lightning bolts, and the third had some giant chaos fire orb. I got destroyed, probably partly because I'm not going for a PvP build, and my sellsword twinblades aren't the greatest.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

RyokoTK posted:

Or hyper armor from wielding a Lothric Knight Straight Sword, a weapon that has no hyper armor at all when you use it.

Straight Swords have hyper armor on the stance R2, which the Lothric Knight uses. The knights don't have poise otherwise, from what I've experienced.

Obligatum VII posted:

All the good spells also being the really boring spells is what bothers me. Where are my trap spells that let me lay down magical proximity mines or stuff? I want fun, creative things. Not soul spears.

Edit: Oh, right, back in DS2, which in fact had a proximity mine pyromancy. Though interesting spells were pretty sparse even there.

I dunno, the bread and butter spells like the Flame Orb line are effective and boring, that's how it probably should be. R1's are pretty boring and effective too. There are a lot of unique spells in Dark Souls 3 though, and many of them are effective. Sacred Flame is a good example, with a bog standard 40/40 build and nothing but the Witch Ring, it still hits for more than enough. In PvE it gives you a strong counter to enemies that use shields and also puts grabbable enemies in a hard knockdown state that gives you a free punish on wakeup. In PvP it's harder to set up but completely doable (although in a Honorabru Duel you probably have to sneak an iron flesh in and mindgame them) and will do >50% of their hp and give you a free roll catch (or you can go all in 3x ring boost and one shot many opponents). There's also spells like Rapport, Iron Flesh, etc that give you unique capabilities.

Even the purely offensive pyromancies have differentiating factors. Flame Surge and Flame Whip offer reliable chip damage that is hard to avoid. Chaos Flame Orb versus Chaos Bed Vestiges is actually a choice (CBV is only a few fp more costly, does equivalent damage even including the lava, and is significantly faster and larger). Out of all the pyromancies in Dark Souls 3, only one is absolutely useless, Acid Surge, given how ridiculous durability is. And there are only a few others that are obsoleted by their "upgrades". Poison Mist vs Toxic Mist and the Flame Orb and Firestorm series.

Now I am admittedly using Pyromancy, which probably has the best spell selection and usability out of all the schools, but Miracles and Sorceries have a lot of their own strengths. I recently finished a faith character where I did a bog standard paladin for NG, then a variety of lightning and holy focused builds in subsequent NG+'s. They were all very effective, fun to play, visually appealing, and had a decent to wide selection of equipment available to them.

I do admit that for Miracles in particular, it is difficult(impossible) to do a purely offensive build from the get-go. You don't actually get access to offensive miracles until several areas in and even then their proximity based damage or utility focus makes them difficult to use until you can get a full build up and running. However that is categorically not the case with offensive Pyromancy or Sorcery builds, although you will have to settle for doing a significant amount of work in melee for the first quarter of the game, simply due to fp limitations, unless you are godly and can attune to ashen for most of your estus. Even then, Raw weapons are generally equivalent or superior to scaling weapons for the first half of the game or so, even for pure melee builds, so you are often dramatically more versatile than a pure melee build due to your strong ranged capability and access to pure elemental damage while having nearly equivalent melee output.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 15, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What exactly is hyper armor?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

In dark souls 1 some moves were effectively impossible to stagger the player or of, such as the backstep (which even boulders would not knock you out of). This was called hyper armour. After dks1, it's been used to describe any animation that has a higher stagger resistance than normal. Which in dks3 means any stagger resistance at all.

Distracted
Jun 9, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

What exactly is hyper armor?

The damage reduction while swinging giant :fuckoff: weapons

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cool, I know about that then. I always thought of that as momentum.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Obligatum VII posted:

In other news, I've really loving the dual katanas with this new weapon art hyper armor. I've been finding L2->R1->L1 straight up murders a lot of people from full HP, or at least after a poke or two if they've gone heavy on HP investment, or if they knock me down to tearstone range cause I'm offhanding morion and wearing a red tearstone, which means a trade where they knock me to 1 HP (thank you tears of denial) is generally one that they die from. Also, people seem to forget it is not parryable and end up eating onislayer uselessly waving their buckler around as I come out of a roll into my weapon art instead of a rolling attack.

Why don't I see more people using these things? Also works well with Leo ring, between the running R1, running L1, the R2, and the thrust in the second part of the L1 combo. Super versatile moveset, now has an unparryable hyper armor move which turns anything but a dodge into a VERY losing proposition.

They're getting more common as people realise that the onislayer attack is really good now, if you're going for a hollow bleed build they get significantly higher AR than just a regular 40/40 build; since they're one of the weird weapons which scales best without a sharp or refined infusion, a hollow infusion essentially just gives them more scaling in exchange for a fairly small drop in base damage. Onislayer into L1 gets fairly close to proccing bleed by itself (does it combo into R1, L1 instead? That would obviously be better).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Distracted posted:

The damage reduction while swinging giant :fuckoff: weapons

Does it reduce damage as well? I thought it only prevented getting staggered mid swing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hard counter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc8hXBWUJyo&t=136s
not exactly an effective showing, even with the brief WA hyper armor

I always carry a hammer (mace or reinforced club) that tears through every heavy armored enemy in the game. There is no downside on carrying a hammer no matter what build you use (hell, keep it +9 in end game so you don't even waste slabs on it) but the damage and poise bonus on armored enemies is well worth it.

Same happened with the infamous Iron Keep in SOTFS with Alonne Knights. Fast and hard hitting fuckers that bend like pussies at the sight of a mere club or mace.

Regarding dogs and rats, I want a shield on DLC that deals fire damage on block, even if it's just 2-3 damage but triggers the loving dogs pain animation because they're my most hated enemy aside from man serpent wankers when they start swinging wildly (and they're more than 1).

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Obligatum VII posted:

All the good spells also being the really boring spells is what bothers me. Where are my trap spells that let me lay down magical proximity mines or stuff? I want fun, creative things. Not soul spears.

Edit: Oh, right, back in DS2, which in fact had a proximity mine pyromancy. Though interesting spells were pretty sparse even there.

I started a pure pyro and am having a lot of fun with it. Staying unlocked as much as possible is what makes it interesting, along with trying to intercept moving/dodging enemies. I'm still pretty early in the game and only doing PvE so far and I'm sure there'll be a high learning curve for PvP but it's a nice change from melee and not boring like miracles or the even more mind-numbing sorcery. Chucking fireballs is a really nice change of pace from melee, too - I use L1s as well as R1s now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

I started a pure pyro and am having a lot of fun with it. Staying unlocked as much as possible is what makes it interesting, along with trying to intercept moving/dodging enemies. I'm still pretty early in the game and only doing PvE so far and I'm sure there'll be a high learning curve for PvP but it's a nice change from melee and not boring like miracles or the even more mind-numbing sorcery. Chucking fireballs is a really nice change of pace from melee, too - I use L1s as well as R1s now.

I just beat Aldrich on my pyro (basically a melee character wich chaos/dark infusions and pyro as utility) and is fun. I threw in some spells like spook and hidden body because gently caress it and is nice to be able to speedrun some annoying zones.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DS2 again. gently caress THESE DARK AREAS running around lighting all these sconces isnt a good mechanic

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SynthOrange posted:

DS2 again. gently caress THESE DARK AREAS running around lighting all these sconces isnt a good mechanic

The dumbest thing about DS2 darkness was that the torch was a limited use item and could only be lit by bonfires and other lit sconces.

I kept a torch in my left equip slot in DS3 and it was really helpful in a lot of areas.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

The dumbest thing about DS2 darkness was that the torch was a limited use item and could only be lit by bonfires and other lit sconces.

I kept a torch in my left equip slot in DS3 and it was really helpful in a lot of areas.

There were those flame butterflies as well. Not that the ds3 method isn't way better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Puntification posted:

There were those flame butterflies as well. Not that the ds3 method isn't way better.

Also the torch ruins dog's and lovely white worm zombies' day without needing a fire weapon. Good torch, good booooy! :3:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RyokoTK posted:

So the best part about magic is that you can completely dedicate your entire stat allocation and equipment spread to it in the hopes that you can alpha strike your opponent, and if that doesn't work, you can use a sword not as well as everyone else, and that's only after you've finished the entire game and reached NG+ levels, and that's only in PvP.

Before that, well, you can kinda poke people with spells so that they run up to you rather than you running over to them. Or you can just play as a melee character and respec later.

e: I guess my point is that I pretty much play this game for PvE/NG all-boss clears, and every time I try to bust out offensive spellcasting in any capacity I just end up making the game harder for myself. Either I try to lean a lot on spellcasting and it's really slow and weak and my stats are spread too thinly, or I use it as a sometimes food and end up very rarely finding a situation where casting a spell would be better than melee, and eventually end up using magic just for casting Spook and Magic Weapon or for drawing aggro, and for all of these you can use items instead.

As a counterpoint indicating it can definitely go too far in the other direction. I finished up my NG run of DS1 with a Sorcerer last night. Gwyn down in 3 casts (2.5, really, since he only had maybe 10% health after 2) of Dark Bead at 44 Int. NG+ Asylum Demon - 1 cast of Dark Bead. NG+ Capra Demon - 2 casts. I remembered Sorcery being Easy Mode in DS1, but I didn't remember it being quite this easy.

What's weird is - due to DS3, I had kinda spec'd the build as sort of a hybrid. +10 Fire Uchi / +5 Lightning Shotel in my right hand, Grass Crest Shield and Catalyst in my left, but I rarely use anything in my right hand, unless it's for trash mobs. Ended up at 14/14 Str/Dex, 44 Int, enough Endurance for Fashion Souls, and the rest will be Vitality up to 120, which will wind up at something like 50 Vit - so I didn't even have to Glass Cannon myself to get there.

It would be nice if they could find some sort of happy medium. I don't mind using a weapon as a Sorc - especially if I am using spells to augment it or whatever - since that seems thematically appropriate, but it sucks that Sorcery in 3 is barely even viable until SUPER late game unless you are good enough to roll through at starting health and level nothing but Int.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

HaB posted:

As a counterpoint indicating it can definitely go too far in the other direction. I finished up my NG run of DS1 with a Sorcerer last night. Gwyn down in 3 casts (2.5, really, since he only had maybe 10% health after 2) of Dark Bead at 44 Int. NG+ Asylum Demon - 1 cast of Dark Bead. NG+ Capra Demon - 2 casts. I remembered Sorcery being Easy Mode in DS1, but I didn't remember it being quite this easy.

What's weird is - due to DS3, I had kinda spec'd the build as sort of a hybrid. +10 Fire Uchi / +5 Lightning Shotel in my right hand, Grass Crest Shield and Catalyst in my left, but I rarely use anything in my right hand, unless it's for trash mobs. Ended up at 14/14 Str/Dex, 44 Int, enough Endurance for Fashion Souls, and the rest will be Vitality up to 120, which will wind up at something like 50 Vit - so I didn't even have to Glass Cannon myself to get there.

It would be nice if they could find some sort of happy medium. I don't mind using a weapon as a Sorc - especially if I am using spells to augment it or whatever - since that seems thematically appropriate, but it sucks that Sorcery in 3 is barely even viable until SUPER late game unless you are good enough to roll through at starting health and level nothing but Int.

I feel like sorcery is pretty good for PVE even in early game. Then again, I'm used to playing a melee character so I probably use sword and shield tactics more than being a pure caster. I can't give a good answer for PvP though.

I was surprised how durable I felt using small shields instead of 100% physical damage reduction shields. I've literally never used a lesser shield in any DS game, but the chip damage is so negligible that I can survive most encounters.

One thing I did have to do was start out with a raw weapon up until I could do a Crystal infusion.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

RabidWeasel posted:

They're getting more common as people realise that the onislayer attack is really good now, if you're going for a hollow bleed build they get significantly higher AR than just a regular 40/40 build; since they're one of the weird weapons which scales best without a sharp or refined infusion, a hollow infusion essentially just gives them more scaling in exchange for a fairly small drop in base damage. Onislayer into L1 gets fairly close to proccing bleed by itself (does it combo into R1, L1 instead? That would obviously be better).

I've found good success with L2->R1->L1, yeah, which I'm pretty sure will proc bleed on my luck build. Murder combo non-withstanding they're just really versatile in general too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DS1 Talk: Occult has better faith scaling than Divine, but less scaling for other stats, correct? It also loses out on the undead permadeath effect in catacombs?

Running a faith based character and wondering if I should stick with Divine +10 for endgame or go for Occult +5.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I feel like sorcery is pretty good for PVE even in early game. Then again, I'm used to playing a melee character so I probably use sword and shield tactics more than being a pure caster. I can't give a good answer for PvP though.

I was surprised how durable I felt using small shields instead of 100% physical damage reduction shields. I've literally never used a lesser shield in any DS game, but the chip damage is so negligible that I can survive most encounters.

One thing I did have to do was start out with a raw weapon up until I could do a Crystal infusion.

Llewelyn shield is great because it has over 60 block on everything (cept lighting) and is great for parrying and has enough stability (even decent if you upgrade it) to eat some hits. In DS1 it was grass crest shield all the time, in DS2 was Royal Kite shield until I could get the Llewelyn (wich was way better than DS3's version) but in DS3 I actively switch between a good bunch of shields: All three crest allow for some spell blocking to cheese some bosses and they're 100% physical, llewelyn if I need a lighter setup, and a simple target shield for parries.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Vargatron posted:

DS1 Talk: Occult has better faith scaling than Divine, but less scaling for other stats, correct? It also loses out on the undead permadeath effect in catacombs?

Running a faith based character and wondering if I should stick with Divine +10 for endgame or go for Occult +5.

Occult is only good against "living" enemies, which given the whole Undead thing, is precious few. I'd stick with Divine.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The only shield I bothered with in DS3 was the Dragonslayer Greatshield for completely emasculating the Nameless King. Now that I got gud I don't need it to beat him. Like everyone else I do all my parrying with a Caestus.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Start new game and learn to really loving hate Farron Keep. :saddowns:

Fortunately that's the only covenant that is a total loving disaster high level, although 120 might be pushing things a little.

So it looks like there aren't any achievements based on the covenants themselves rather than getting their rank items. I guess this is lame but if I summoned someone and they dropped the correct item for me would that still count for the achievement?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nope, they have the invisible-if-dropped flag set. This is on purpose and not an oversight.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So I guess the most realistic option for me then is to finish my NG++ run to get all the rings, expressions, etc before starting entirely over just to grind farron keep?

Ugh that won't work because you have to have all the rings simultaneously. Fuuck. Guess grinding this out is my only choice :suicide:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
you should play games to have fun, rather than doggedly pursuing achievements. imo.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Guillermus posted:

Llewelyn shield is great because it has over 60 block on everything (cept lighting) and is great for parrying and has enough stability (even decent if you upgrade it) to eat some hits. In DS1 it was grass crest shield all the time, in DS2 was Royal Kite shield until I could get the Llewelyn (wich was way better than DS3's version) but in DS3 I actively switch between a good bunch of shields: All three crest allow for some spell blocking to cheese some bosses and they're 100% physical, llewelyn if I need a lighter setup, and a simple target shield for parries.

The Spider Shield in DS3 is amazing. Great Magic Shield enchantable (which makes it 100% damage soak), fantastic stability - and it scales very well with upgrades. It's one of those shields that keeps getting stability every single time you upgrade. Also very light for what it does.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Obligatum VII posted:

I've found good success with L2->R1->L1, yeah, which I'm pretty sure will proc bleed on my luck build. Murder combo non-withstanding they're just really versatile in general too.

Versatility is all well and good but throwing a high damage unparryable hyper armour special attack into the moveset makes it go from being fairly good to incredible. Plus the nerf to the Washing Pole's phantom range makes using a different katana more inviting.

I'd probably argue that it's one of the best all round PvP weapons in the game now due to having so many different good options for punishing as well as being able to bleed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Necc0 posted:

So I guess the most realistic option for me then is to finish my NG++ run to get all the rings, expressions, etc before starting entirely over just to grind farron keep?

Ugh that won't work because you have to have all the rings simultaneously. Fuuck. Guess grinding this out is my only choice :suicide:
The Wolf Grass grind isn't that bad, ears are the real problem. If you have those covered, you can get all the wolf grass you need in maybe two hours.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I can't not carry the shield of want. Extra souls, good all round resists, stability, even the weight's reasonable for what it does. You might say it has everything you could want.

Guillermus posted:

I always carry a hammer (mace or reinforced club) that tears through every heavy armored enemy in the game. There is no downside on carrying a hammer no matter what build you use (hell, keep it +9 in end game so you don't even waste slabs on it) but the damage and poise bonus on armored enemies is well worth it.

Same happened with the infamous Iron Keep in SOTFS with Alonne Knights. Fast and hard hitting fuckers that bend like pussies at the sight of a mere club or mace.

Yeah my first build in ds3 had a +10 morning star for exactly that reason but it turned out not to be necessary at all since rapiers stun just as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
What are the effects of equipping a shield whose stat requirements you don't meet?