Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm playing ME3 for the first time and without spoiling things too much, where is my great love Tali'Zorah vas Normandy? I was told not to rush the Priority missions until I do the rest of the missions but we must continue our space romance for as long as possible!! I saved everyone at the end of 2 Also I really liked Legion, can I recruit him back?

Related, Kaiden is currently in the hospital and is now a Spectre. Did I do something wrong to not recruit him back onto the Normandy? Or should I just wait longer..?

The only thing its possible to gently caress up in ME3 is doing Priority missions before side missions (including those dumb planet scanning side missions). There is no Reaper IFF/Normandy crew situation. Tali comes later on but still gets a lot of screen time. And unless you hosed up and didn't buy the Citadel DLC you'll have even more time with your space waifu/husbando of choice.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks all, I'm around 8 hours in I think, and have just been doing a few side missions and enough to try and get the Solarians/Turians and Wrex to talk to each other (kind of).
Yeah, I installed Citadel + Directors Cut + From Ashes.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm playing ME3 for the first time and without spoiling things too much, where is my great love Tali'Zorah vas Normandy? I was told not to rush the Priority missions until I do the rest of the missions but we must continue our space romance for as long as possible!! I saved everyone at the end of 2 Also I really liked Legion, can I recruit him back?

Related, Kaiden is currently in the hospital and is now a Spectre. Did I do something wrong to not recruit him back onto the Normandy? Or should I just wait longer..?

Tali dies automatically unless you drank her breastmilk in 1 and 2.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Damnit!! I knew I missed something :mad::mad::mad:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Regarding your question of whether you can recruit legion as a companion in ME3, you can't, but he does show up and play a part

midwat
May 6, 2007

Generic American posted:

For what it's worth, I'm reading that with the polar opposite implication, like they're trying to be *less* strict when it comes to building up Ryder as a character like they did with Shepard. Where they aren't going to constantly say "you are Commander Shepard, elite space marine and the galaxy's only hope", but instead just give you Ryder's general role and let the player define him/her as a character throughout the story.

I mean, we never really had much control over Shepard as a character beyond being a Blue Hero or Red Hero, so it's hard to imagine how they would give us less control short of stripping out the dialog wheel entirely.

It seems to me that it means they're writing a much more specific character (a "role" for you to play), with an established family and history that appears to be unalterable.

I'd say Shepard was as much of a blank slate as they could make him and still have a "cinematic" experience. While you say you only have the chance of what flavor hero you could be, I highly doubt Bioware will give you leeway to, say, be the villain this time around, if only because that would require more (expensive) work on their part.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

midwat posted:

It seems to me that it means they're writing a much more specific character (a "role" for you to play), with an established family and history that appears to be unalterable.

No, because that would be a "person", not a "role".

Sounds like another Grey Warden/Bhaalspawn/Inquisitor kind of setup, the role this time around being "Expedition Leader" or something.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

denimgorilla posted:

I always named my renegade Shepard "Dick" because he was a dick. I probably won't do that in this game.

You should.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lt. Danger posted:

No, because that would be a "person", not a "role".

Sounds like another Grey Warden/Bhaalspawn/Inquisitor kind of setup, the role this time around being "Expedition Leader" or something.

considering you're gonna be leading said expedition into a new galaxy Ryder could go anywhere from "nicer Captain Picard" to "pith-helmeted imperialist"

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

IGN: How Mass Effect: Andromeda's Ryder is Different from Shepard

Bioware Creative Director Mac Walters posted:

Commander Shepard, the way I put it was, a hero (when we met them — him or her) who became a legend,” Walters told IGN. “For me, the people in Andromeda’s story are people who haven’t yet achieved hero status. It really wasn’t until the third game where we started to explore more of Shepard’s… what they think about things and how they’re feeling and how they’re dealing with things. I think those are areas we’ll try to focus on more in Mass Effect: Andromeda with the protagonists.”

[...]

“This is much more of a hero’s journey. What that entails is a slightly more intimate story that you want to tell. Seeing the lens through someone who is learning and growing and actually has an arc throughout the course of the story. I mean, Shepard had an arc but it was established."

Still a little vague with the market-speak, but it does sound to me like the main difference will just be that Ryder won't have such a specific reputation to define them from the start like with Shepard. So yeah, the Inquisitor from Dragon Age sounds about right with how they're framing the story.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Generic American posted:

IGN: How Mass Effect: Andromeda's Ryder is Different from Shepard

Still a little vague with the market-speak, but it does sound to me like the main difference will just be that Ryder won't have such a specific reputation to define them from the start like with Shepard. So yeah, the Inquisitor from Dragon Age sounds about right with how they're framing the story.

They're saying that Shepard was already a War Hero and an experienced soldier. And was on the short list to one of the most prestigious and militarily powerful positions a human has ever been privy to before the game even started.

Ryder will probably start out as a grunt who proves to be very competent and rises into a leadership role as you play them.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Generic American posted:

stripping out the dialog wheel entirely.

Considering that this was a play option in ME3, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Kibayasu posted:

You know Dragon Age Inquisition? It's going to be that.

Hopefully a better version of that, but it's going to be that.

DA:I was quite bad. Or well, in fact it's open world games that are always bad. Even the Witcher 3 is bad, mostly because of its open world which adds nothing good to the game besides a lot of useless icons on the map to follow like you are in some goddamn MMO.

But i guess the fact that Mass effect is in space will make sure there isnt a completely open world, as you need to go to different planets to kill stuff and find poo poo. So it's still all good for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You're gonna wake up from hypersleep in Andromeda, but lo and behold other ark ships got to Andromeda decades before you and have already begun to populate the galaxy with asari and turian and krogans so it's like you never left!! Oh yeah and we built a duplicate of the Citadel just in case anything ever happened to it, crazy how there are mass relays here too.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Charlie Mopps posted:

DA:I was quite bad. Or well, in fact it's open world games that are always bad. Even the Witcher 3 is bad, mostly because of its open world which adds nothing good to the game besides a lot of useless icons on the map to follow like you are in some goddamn MMO.

But i guess the fact that Mass effect is in space will make sure there isnt a completely open world, as you need to go to different planets to kill stuff and find poo poo. So it's still all good for me.
I expect that it'll help that ME:A will allow you to actually shoot things (and not just with roll-the-dice, auto-targeting arrows or magic (space) missiles). Also you'll get a new MAKO so presumably you can traverse big terrain a bit quicker and hopefully we'll also see the glorious return of bowling over groups of enemies/innocent wildlife.

exquisite tea posted:

You're gonna wake up from hypersleep in Andromeda, but lo and behold other ark ships got to Andromeda decades before you and have already begun to populate the galaxy with asari and turian and krogans so it's like you never left!! Oh yeah and we built a duplicate of the Citadel just in case anything ever happened to it, crazy how there are mass relays here too.
Good I loving hate change.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"Guys, our system of FTL depends on Mass Relays, so, how is our expeditionary fleet going to manage once they hit Andromeda?"

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Milky Moor posted:

"Guys, our system of FTL depends on Mass Relays, so, how is our expeditionary fleet going to manage once they hit Andromeda?"
Very carefully.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

exquisite tea posted:

i hope this happens

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

mangler103 posted:

No. Just Elcor romances.
This one remains hopeful that the developers will embrace the light of the Enkindlers.

Pattonesque posted:

-The new ship is called the Tempest. It's small enough to land on planets
This is kinda funny, since it looks like a stretch limo version of the Normandy 2.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

exquisite tea posted:

Also we found a nice cozy 8-planet system and humans have already settled on its third planet and we terraformed the continents to look more aesthetic and we already have a population of ten billion on there somehow.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also there are three weird black cuttlefish aliens who are telling us we're meat fit only to be harvested and I have to say it makes a certain bit of sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Andromeda promises to delve further into the mysteries of the universe as Commander Ryder seeks to uncover the secrets behind the mass reused assets.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

I believe Tali and Legion show up around the midpoint in the game. The Virmire survivor shows up before Tali/Legion. Also, I think once you finish Tali/Legion section, the timed side quests are done. Anyone able to confirm this?

exquisite tea posted:

IIRC the protheans figured out relay technology and built one. It was like, a pretty big plot point of the first game. So mass relay technology is not unlikely. Also, you'll probably have to find homeworlds for all the races, and then the ancient Old Machines aliens will attack the planets and you'll have to pick between saving them or living happily ever after with your Elcor life partner.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If a mission shows up, and it's not a Priority mission, it's best to do it as soon as possible. There are multiple instances where if you don't do something ASAP something bad will happen instead

Grissom Acadamy, the Ardat Yakshi Monestary, The Rachnai, the Cerberus Scientists

It will be super obvious when you're allowed to recruit the Vermire survivor, they'll be outside your airlock and straight up ask you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wish there was a way to prevent the Virmire survivor from becoming a Spectre, instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

I wish there was a way to prevent the Virmire survivor from becoming a Spectre, instead.

It's very easy, actually. All you need is one well-placed bullet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Without spoiling anything you will know when Tali is about to show up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

exquisite tea posted:

It's very easy, actually. All you need is one well-placed bullet.

They still become a Spectre before that happens, though one with the least impressive career.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

wookieepelt posted:

Also, you'll probably have to find homeworlds for all the races, and then the ancient Old Machines aliens will attack the planets and you'll have to pick between saving them or living happily ever after with your Elcor life partner.

Selflessly: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Generic American posted:

For what it's worth, I'm reading that with the polar opposite implication, like they're trying to be *less* strict when it comes to building up Ryder as a character like they did with Shepard. Where they aren't going to constantly say "you are Commander Shepard, elite space marine and the galaxy's only hope", but instead just give you Ryder's general role and let the player define him/her as a character throughout the story.

I mean, we never really had much control over Shepard as a character beyond being a Blue Hero or Red Hero, so it's hard to imagine how they would give us less control short of stripping out the dialog wheel entirely.

Right. Exactly. This is why Shepard is really loving boring whereas every one of my Fallout: New Vegas gimmick runs stars someone totally unique and interesting to whom I can get attached. (Of course, the Inquisitor is also really loving boring, so...)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
But the Inquisitor was still a step in the direction of making non chosen one Red or Blue Heroes. You still mostly were that, but a little less than Shepard. Bioware is no where near out of the woods on that department though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno about you guys, but I always do my Shepards in shades of purple. I tried playing a blue Shepard once and it was boring as poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kajeesus posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I always do my Shepards in shades of purple. I tried playing a blue Shepard once and it was boring as poo poo.

rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold deep down.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Alright! Now we seem to be moving along. Finally finished all the Krogan genophage stuff RIP mordin :( and just cleared The citadel of Cerberus forces which was really well done actually, for some reason the combat just felt really smooth and finally clicked in that part. Everyone has been warning me about ME3, primarily the ending but so far i'm enjoying it, especially the combat which seems much better than 2.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kajeesus posted:

Don't try to talk sense to these min -maxing weirdos. They think girl Shep was the best because she played paragon and renegade as distinct characters; the concept of role-playing is beyond them.

They all want to be rewarded mechanically for choices instead of doing what makes sense and feels right i.e. full blue OR red, do priority missions last...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sassassin posted:

They think girl Shep was the best because she played paragon and renegade as distinct characters; the concept of role-playing is beyond them.

Did she? I felt like she was way better at being purple since her primary mode of persuasion was being angry and yelling at people with either option, while dude Shep very distinctly is either smug and douchey or chill and sanctimonious.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kajeesus posted:

Did she? I felt like she was way better at being purple since her primary mode of persuasion was being angry and yelling at people with either option, while dude Shep very distinctly is either smug and douchey or chill and sanctimonious.

The respective voice actors stated as such. Girl Shep was trying to play two characters, Mark Meer one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloud the Cat posted:

Everyone has been warning me about ME3, primarily the ending but so far i'm enjoying it, especially the combat which seems much better than 2.

This is because you aren't actually thinking about the story. The game is fun, but doesn't hold up to intelligent thought. And the ending is even worse than you can imagine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
ME3's combat is the worst in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sassassin posted:

ME3 is the worst

• Locked thread