Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Heavy tanks and tank destroyers are likely useless in single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the carrier air group supporting a naval invasion with a -97% effectiveness penalty because China is a rather large country.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

GreyPowerVan posted:

Heavy tanks and tank destroyers are likely useless in single player.

They are. The AI use standard 7-2 infantry divisions- well, let me restate, it builds toward them and does not change old divisions.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am actually researching the Tiger SPG variant in my game to add it to my infantry instead of the line arty, stat wise it seems way better, even if it's somewhat expensive, which is not an issue in my game since the axis have beaten/occupied almost everyone and I have over 200 mil factories by now.
So heavy tanks and their variants might be fun once the game is almost won, should help with manpower as well.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there someway to change the day/night cycle to be centered on Asia so the sun doesn't set at noon?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Welp, currently having a game as Ethiopia and the allies, namely the US are being god drat retarded with there war plans, an excellent pincer attack that was taking place in occupied France got called off literally about a 2 weeks before it would have conjoined and all 152 divisions were sent to garrison the middle of Africa where they just sat there for three months before heading back . It is currently 1945 and I am 90% sure unless the AI unfucks its self the war will go on until the end date in 1948.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Look at this post on the Paradox forums about how the AI just makes terrible, terrible decisions:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-japan-suffers-some-ai-observations.948356/

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Oh no, we've hit the fourth cycle of a SA paradox game thread.

game is good, AI needs tweaking but we knew already that it needs constant tweaking and it'll probably mess up some in patches that change things here and there and need further fixing. It's unfortunately the nature of things.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Verviticus posted:

support arty is nice for tanks and whatnot because it doesnt affect speed, but at one and preferably two arty brigades per division is absolutely a must for any land war. artillery fucks up infantry super hard

And if you have the land doctrine for it it's ridiculous x 2

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Rockets are actually good for tanks because they give you breakthrough like whoa.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Oh no, we've hit the fourth cycle of a SA paradox game thread.

game is good, AI needs tweaking but we knew already that it needs constant tweaking and it'll probably mess up some in patches that change things here and there and need further fixing. It's unfortunately the nature of things.

Does anyone still have that image of the circle of Paradox release emotions?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Frog Assassin posted:

One small suggestion to the devs who are reading, please change it so that clicking ok on a news article or another event doesn't unpause the game. Pauses when something happens are great, but an unpause should never be allowed to happen without explicit player input.

This is the worst loving thing. Stellaris does it too. I hope it's just a weird, soon-to-be-reversed decision by a random Paradox designer and not the new normal in games.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Poland is the best nation in this, bar none, as it can get:
(spoilering this in case people want it to remain a surprise)

BEAR COMMANDER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nL7Za5VyZE

Go on Wojtek, you glorious fluffy bear-general!

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 15, 2016

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

The Little Kielbasa posted:

This is the worst loving thing. Stellaris does it too. I hope it's just a weird, soon-to-be-reversed decision by a random Paradox designer and not the new normal in games.

:agreed:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

This has been an issue going back years and years in Paradox games. At times it worked like this in EU3, maybe 4, maybe CK2, and it was just as loving annoying as it is now. It eventually got fixed in the other games and it's weird how both HoI4 and Stellaris have this problem. It's especially bad in HoI4 since things can happen so quickly.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I participate in UI and workflow design for a living and it's just baffling.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I do like that Paradox is happy to make fun of themselves sometimes, like this console command:

furher_mana xxx = Gives you political points to the value of xxx, or 999 if unspecified.

Furher Mana! :v:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

oxford_town posted:

What's the optimal strategy with the division designer? I have been gradually filling out all of the slots, so now my default infantry/tank/marine/mountain divisions all have 25 brigades. I did this mainly because my army XP was sitting at 500 and I didn't want it to go to waste, but it comes about so easily that in retrospect I could have done just that. Anyway, now that my entire army is upgrading, my manpower has tanked and I don't have enough divisions to stick onto garrison duty. Should I just make some new small garrison divs with MP attachments?

You want multiples of twenty width (you see that on the division designer) or, if you are absolutely confident that they will always be under a general with the offensive trait (that's the +10% width one, not picking their nose and flicking it at people), twenty-two. A pretty standard design is seven infantry and two line artillery, with five attached brigades on the left, but this guy has a really thorough guide: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beginners-guide-to-unit-types-division-design.942449/unread

For the tl;dr, his key elements on width are:

quote:

(1) Always aim for a width of 5, 10 or 20. The regular frontage in combat is 80 + 40 per extra attack vector (from a different province). Exceeding frontge gives you signfiicant combat penalties. Design with width 11 or 22 if you plan to attach the unit to a leader with Offensive trait (-10% unit frontage).

(2) Support brigades don't increase frontage, so it's a good idea to add ART (and maybe AT, AA) to all your designs. They don't affect speed or hardness of a divsion, but do lower ARM and PIER.

(3) This means that a base design with 10/11 width has higher firepower per frontage than 20/22 (because you can squeeze in more support ART), but it also costs more equipment and Land XP to design (since most nations start with 8+ INF in their main template).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tindahbawx posted:

I do like that Paradox is happy to make fun of themselves sometimes, like this console command:

furher_mana xxx = Gives you political points to the value of xxx, or 999 if unspecified.

Furher Mana! :v:

Play as Germany and advance in the Air Research tree.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You pretty much only ever need to concern yourself with AT in multiplayer.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
If I look at the stats for an air region and see that I've lost 400 fighters and the enemy has lost like 200, what's the next step to fix the problem? There's no air combat reports right? How do I figure out what nation they belong to, where they are coming from, and why they are beating my fighters? Unless I'm missing a screen or tooltip somewhere, it's like there's no data available at all. Do I just pour in more fighters and hope for the best?

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

fuf posted:

If I look at the stats for an air region and see that I've lost 400 fighters and the enemy has lost like 200, what's the next step to fix the problem? There's no air combat reports right? How do I figure out what nation they belong to, where they are coming from, and why they are beating my fighters? Unless I'm missing a screen or tooltip somewhere, it's like there's no data available at all. Do I just pour in more fighters and hope for the best?

What size are your wings? How many are you putting in each air region? What's the reliability and range of your current model? Are you using the right bureau to research light planes? Do you have a lot of radar in the areas that you are contesting? How aggressive are your RoE? The default is basically no surrender, not one step back, don't come back while your plane is still flyable.

If you are a glutton for punishment you can read this and seek enlightenment: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/air-mechanics-combat-mission-quick-guide.947290/

All that being said, air combat is currently bloody as hell and Paradox are looking to adjust it.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

I hope the first dlc after the obligatory china expansion pack is something that punches up air combat. Even the ability for air-wings to have names and differing levels of training would spice things up so much beyond have more planes than the other guy.

Yeah, its interesting that pilot experience is not tracked in any way, despite the fact that pilot training/experience was probably the most important type of any training in the entire war. For instance, the losses the Japanese carrier wings took in airframes at Midway/Santa Cruz and such was far less important than the loss of elite experienced pilots, and the Japanese training regimen was poo poo at producing good numbers of trained pilots during the war.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I know the AI isn't the best, but Germany and Italy gave me a ton of problems trying to push fronts out past the Maginot and the Alps. Every time my Italy front was resting or redeploying, Germany would redeploy divisions and push back hard.

Also, is there any way to disband divisions? France's tank divisions are dumb as poo poo and I could really use those resources elsewhere.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Charles Get-Out posted:

I know the AI isn't the best, but Germany and Italy gave me a ton of problems trying to push fronts out past the Maginot and the Alps. Every time my Italy front was resting or redeploying, Germany would redeploy divisions and push back hard.

Also, is there any way to disband divisions? France's tank divisions are dumb as poo poo and I could really use those resources elsewhere.

Delete or change the template

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
So I take it then that there's no way to play as a Fascist country in South America, invade other countries, and not deal with the US Monroe Doctrine happening all over your sweet plans of continental domination?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

slavatuvs posted:

Delete or change the template

It won't let me because there are divisions still using it.

It wouldn't be an issue if there was one useless tank division, because I would just wait for Army Exp. But France has two useless tank divisions and I want to delete the more numerous, more useless one to funnel those tanks into the one that is easier to revamp.

alcaras posted:

So I take it then that there's no way to play as a Fascist country in South America, invade other countries, and not deal with the US Monroe Doctrine happening all over your sweet plans of continental domination?

I dealt with this as Mexico. The US won't always intervene, so you can try to rely on that.

However, the key to keeping the US out of my poo poo as I turned Central America into my own personal communist bloc was justifying on the US as soon as they Monroe'd up and counter-invading Southern Cali, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. I'm not sure you can use that really as Brazil, but the US is way weak to ground invasions on it's home territory.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 15, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven't bought or played the game yet but it seems like it is....really easy? Based at least on the screenshots of stuff like Latvia taking over Europe or China invading Japan or Brazil conquering Russia and so on. Or alternatively, the Royal Navy offing itself by constantly fighting land based aircraft for some reason. Is this an accurate assessment?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Charles Get-Out posted:

It wouldn't be an issue if there was one useless tank division, because I would just wait for Army Exp. But France has two useless tank divisions and I want to delete the more numerous, more useless one to funnel those tanks into the one that is easier to revamp.

Change the division to one that has no parity with it. So make the light tanks into heavy tanks or medium.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

bewbies posted:

I haven't bought or played the game yet but it seems like it is....really easy? Based at least on the screenshots of stuff like Latvia taking over Europe or China invading Japan or Brazil conquering Russia and so on. Or alternatively, the Royal Navy offing itself by constantly fighting land based aircraft for some reason. Is this an accurate assessment?

I'm finding it pretty challenging, but this is also the first Paradox grand strategy I've played. I haven't been able to turn any of the games I've played into total takeovers and I've lost a couple.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

slavatuvs posted:

Change the division to one that has no parity with it. So make the light tanks into heavy tanks or medium.

Unfortunately, I'm in 1938 so medium armor hasn't been invented yet. I might give it a go with entirely different equipment, but so far my Army Exp has gone to fixing up the other tank division and my two infantry divisions.

Really wish there was just a "Disband Division" button somewhere.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The game is indeed very easy once you get past the interface and understand the basic mechanics. You should be able to win very easy with anything other than a fringe Nation

Edit:. There is a disband button o straight up delete divisions

MikeC fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 15, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

alcaras posted:

I haven't tried this yet, but the more I think about it, the more I think the best option would be to do it ASAP and start your conquests early - the US needs to go through a few national focuses before it can really lock down the Americas, and it has a lot of negative modifiers in the early game, so if you start in 1936 you've got at least a year before the US reaches full American interventionalism and at least a couple of years before the US can become an unstoppable juggernaut. You'll have to deal with them at some point, so aggressive expansion before they block you and then a preemptive war before they can reach full strength might be a good option.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

MikeC posted:

Edit:. There is a disband button o straight up delete divisions

Where?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

bewbies posted:

The AI is railroaded into going through its focuses even when it's disadvantageous (ie declaring more wars when it's already having issues with existing ones), it can't properly deal with encirclement or sending lone units that break through the lines and start capturing uncontested territory, it doesn't properly update division templates and so ends up with large quantities of badly designed or drastically outdated divisions, and it also has problems managing multiple fronts, often leaving its borders undermanned and open for anyone to just walk in on their capital.

So yes, it's very easy.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

trashcan button i believe in the top left

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Charles Get-Out posted:

You can change the template a division is used by clicking the two green arrows near their icon when you select it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are support brigades worth the org loss? I put engineers on everything and artillery or AT here and there but I'm not convinced it's actually better than just having higher org. The org loss isn't too bad per brigade but it starts to add up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Org loss does build up. Don't be me and add 5 support companies to all my divisions and subsequently have like 40-30 org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Nation posted:

trashcan button i believe in the top left

Fat Samurai posted:

You can change the template a division is used by clicking the two green arrows near their icon when you select it.

Thank you both so much.