Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh my god. I can finally send back canned messages on my pebble. (IOS + Verizon)

Purchase redeemed. :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Anyone else using Glance on Android with a Pebble Classic and having issues with it never updating weather on its own?

Mine's set to update every 3 hours, but I have to manually Refresh Data on there or it will never update. I've seen it more than 9 days behind (when you click the status box to expand details in the app's main screen). My watch showing the near freezing overnight low temperature in the middle of a beautiful sunny, t-shirt and jeans day was my tipoff. I might as well use a face which didn't even show weather; I suppose I'm not paying attention to the readout much anyway.

I imagine the provider settings are good, or else the stupid things wouldn't work on a manually initiated refresh... Regardless, I've tried switching the provider settings and haven't seen an improvement.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Try changing the watch face. A couple of my watch faces relied on Yahoo for weather and they suddenly stopped working.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Anybody get a cryptic email from Pebble today about some new feature? Any guesses?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gravitee posted:

Anybody get a cryptic email from Pebble today about some new feature? Any guesses?

Was it for a new feature or a new watch?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

No clue. Here's the Twitter link from their email, but I'm too old to understand Twitter (31):
https://twitter.com/Pebble

May 24 at 10 AM Eastern Daylight Time is whatever their announcement is going to be. I'm guessing not another round of layoffs.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
From the breadboard gif with it I assume it is a development platform from the promised smartbands probably with smartbands, I assume including announcing some like a HR band to tie with their new expanded fitness platform.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I saw a separate Kickstarter for a GPS band to use with Pebble Health. I have a Time Round so it wouldn't work for me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

updated watches with heart rate monitoring plus a little button thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...pebble_homepage

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I've been wanting to get a new pebble so maybe I should back the time 2...
But I also have no idea what the state of android wear is like right now.

Sooo I'll probably just wait.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

theyre releasing a new version of wear soon so probably best to wait yea

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

if they are actually merging the time and time steel that's probably the best change they could make

36 days to make a decision so it's not the end of the world to wait a bit longer

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So does this mean no heart-rate smart straps for my Pebble Time? I was kinda hoping for that...

That Time 2 is sexy though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Time 2 does look nice. I'm already invested in a Kickstarter with the heart rate attachment or I'd consider it.

I wonder if the smaller bezel scratches as badly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy that Time 2 is sexy, I might back the kickstarter rather than wait

e: gently caress it, backed for a Time 2

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 24, 2016

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Heart-rate monitor make my dick move.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

grilldos posted:

Heart-rate monitor make my dick move.

You're supposed to strap them to your wrists.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll wait for the inevitable Time Round 2.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, they've left behind the folks that were waiting for some smart bands, right? Instead of following through on the reason I bought the Time Steel (expandability, some degree of future proof), they just introduce a new watch with the features I thought we'd expand to built in. No incentive to build on the smart bands at all.

This is the worst announcement I can imagine.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Droid Washington posted:

I'll wait for the inevitable Time Round 2.

This right here.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The charging port looks the same, I wonder if they still support smart bands.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kazy posted:

What smart bands?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

torgeaux posted:

What smart bands?

The grand total of two whose kickstarters only just ended :v: and one was for a heart rate monitor.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

They just did an AMA and said they'll still support smart bands- maybe having 2 heart rate monitors is better than one

unless j-display starts making some 270+ DPI lcd screens in the near future, the time 2 seems to be the best of everything

i tried the round and it just looked silly on my wrist

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I dig the hr monitor but I guess that means nato straps are useless now.
I'm not backing this, though. I'll stick with my Time and wait until the price on the Time 2 inevitably drops a lot some time in spring.

I like the look of the regular Pebble 2 more than the Time 2. Wish it had a color screen but I guess that would defeat the entire purpose.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I dig the hr monitor but I guess that means nato straps are useless now.
I'm not backing this, though. I'll stick with my Time and wait until the price on the Time 2 inevitably drops a lot some time in spring.

I like the look of the regular Pebble 2 more than the Time 2. Wish it had a color screen but I guess that would defeat the entire purpose.

Reading through the specs on them, I'm not sure what are the distinctions between the Pebble and Time 2. I guess it's just the color screen. Otherwise....

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

LeJackal posted:

Reading through the specs on them, I'm not sure what are the distinctions between the Pebble and Time 2. I guess it's just the color screen. Otherwise....

Color screen, bigger screen, higher res, bigger battery.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've worn my og ks pebble almost every day since I got it just over three years ago, don't mind being the weird dude in the thread who's surprised and excited it's getting a non-Time sequel. I really prefer the b&w screen and overall shape.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

I've worn my og ks pebble almost every day since I got it just over three years ago, don't mind being the weird dude in the thread who's surprised and excited it's getting a non-Time sequel. I really prefer the b&w screen and overall shape.

I actually would rather pay less for just B&W but the larger resolution of the Time 2 and Pebble 2 being so tall is pushing me over to Time 2.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LeJackal posted:

The Pebble 2 looks like an ugly powernerd strap, the Time 2 I would want to have on in public.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Pebble 2 looks like an ugly powernerd strap, the Time 2 I would want to have on in public.

The first Pebble looks so much like several fitness straps now that the 2 stands out by having a real screen with durable glass. I still opted to go with a Time 2, but I went with a Time Steel originally so there's no downgrading for me. I'm interested to see if Apple has anything interesting to show at WWDC but I doubt it so I'm in for this iteration.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can I turn off that annoying random "Bluetooth must be turned on to connect to pebble" notification? Will disabling app notifications via settings (iPhone) affect functionality ?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I considered buying a Pebble Time Steel over the weekend, but backed out when I realized that my OG Pebble is good enough for what I need, and I wasn't sure what the future if the company was with all the layoffs.

I'm on my 3rd unit after two screen corruptions, and until a couple months ago this one was occasionally doing it too. But I'm glad to see the Time 2 has less wasted space and a much nicer style to me than Time Steel, for a comparable price if I catch the kickstarter.

Now to convince my brother he wants one for a birthday present, even though it won't ship until closer to my birthday.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I bit the bullet and preordered a Time 2, despite liking the Pebble 2's design better because I understand that all smartwatches are beep boop toys for ugly powernerds and whoever says otherwise is fooling themselves.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
These will all be on sale at best buy like 3 months after release though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm strongly tempted by the Time 2 but I was able to get a Pebble Steel and Time for ~$90 each, so I'll wait for a giant discount or meh.com sale, whatever helps Pebble clear some room in their warehouse a few months after launch.

EDIT: I checked the Kickstarter page and there was 1 slot open for the $169 Time 2, so I took it. I am weak, but now I'll have a heart monitor to confirm it!

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 28, 2016

Bobalbmi
Sep 25, 2000

Today is the day

Kazy posted:

I backed Pagare (the payments smart band) and got a note from them that basically said the new devices wouldn't be compatible with the smart band they were currently developing.

I think in a way this is the issue with the Pebble right now. There are just too many of them and a new one comes out seemingly every 8 months. I got a Pebble Time Round and I have no hope that there will be any new apps developed for the thing as it's obvious that they've moved on.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bobalbmi posted:

I got a Pebble Time Round and I have no hope that there will be any new apps developed for the thing as it's obvious that they've moved on.

Apparently they haven't totally forgotten about the round, they just added gold & silver "special editions" to their kickstarter. I think they look good.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My Time Steel started making a jingling noise when the motor turns on. Anyone hear this on theirs? What's my prognosis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Manky posted:

Apparently they haven't totally forgotten about the round, they just added gold & silver "special editions" to their kickstarter. I think they look good.

Them shits are pretty. I'm sure they won't really revise the Round until their display OEM comes up with something that lets them reduce the bezel significantly.

• Locked thread