Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

homura-chan!

not enough guns imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sestze posted:

needs a harem anime, complete with jace's nose gushing blood every time he see a tittay

There is a Magic movie being made, or at least planned, so you might be in luck!

It's gonna make that new, lovely warcraft movie look like lord of the rings in comparison

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Is it worth putting an infect deck together if you only have two inkmoths? I'm considering adding a slightly bad blue green infect to my modern decks now and working towards finishing it off as time goes by.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kizudarake posted:

Is it worth putting an infect deck together if you only have two inkmoths? I'm considering adding a slightly bad blue green infect to my modern decks now and working towards finishing it off as time goes by.

Inkmouth is the best card in the deck.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

GeneX posted:

There is a Magic movie being made, or at least planned, so you might be in luck!

It's gonna make that new, lovely warcraft movie look like lord of the rings in comparison

What they should do as a framing story is have some kids from our world find out that the cards are based on reality ha ha and have them have hidden planeswalker Sparks and have to go to wizards of the coast which get this is actually run by real planeswalkers and they meet jace and Chandra and Lilliana and have to help them fight against phyrexians and eldrazi and ob nixilis and also one of them has an annoying five year old sister get cornered by ulamog who is voiced by Gilbert Gottfried and destroy him with a literal fireball card thrown into his eye and Chandra is like gg.

Edit:

mcmagic posted:

Inkmouth is the best card in the deck.

yes, but I have two copies right now not four.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 15, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You want 4 inkmoths for the deck for sure. You can build budget infect without the hierarchs though - it's noticeably worse, but still quite scary to be on the other end of.

e: also holy crap inkmoth is expensive, I'm used to thinking of it as like a $10 card

Jabor fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 15, 2016

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Inkmoth is really really good, it wins so many games for me in affinity.

Just in terms of raw damage it can do, imagine if you had a manland that's basically a flying mutavault, and any power increase effect is doubled.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kizudarake posted:

yes, but I have two copies right now not four.

IE you need 4.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

You want 4 inkmoths for the deck for sure. You can build budget infect without the hierarchs though - it's noticeably worse, but still quite scary to be on the other end of.

e: also holy crap inkmoth is expensive, I'm used to thinking of it as like a $10 card

it's only $20, it was a $10 card at least the whole time it was in standard.

Not saying $20 isn't big money for some folks or anything, but compared to snippy snappy who is up to $50 when he was $20 tops in standard $20 seems cheap for a deck defininig modern card.

Magic!

Has anyone sold out of paper and transitioned to just playing online? I'm thinking about doing that as I have a harder time getting out to the shop or doing things on weekends. I might keep a single legacy deck or some duals but otherwise I'd get out of modern/commander/most of legacy.

If you did sell out, do you ever have any regrets? I've been in and out of the game so many times I am concerned that not being able to play paper would be a huge drag.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

it's only $20, it was a $10 card at least the whole time it was in standard.

Not saying $20 isn't big money for some folks or anything, but compared to snippy snappy who is up to $50 when he was $20 tops in standard $20 seems cheap for a deck defininig modern card.

Magic!

Has anyone sold out of paper and transitioned to just playing online? I'm thinking about doing that as I have a harder time getting out to the shop or doing things on weekends. I might keep a single legacy deck or some duals but otherwise I'd get out of modern/commander/most of legacy.

If you did sell out, do you ever have any regrets? I've been in and out of the game so many times I am concerned that not being able to play paper would be a huge drag.

This. Inkmoth is going to be a 50+ dollar card next Modern season unless it's in MM17.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This. Inkmoth is going to be a 50+ dollar card next Modern season unless it's in MM17.

I would imagine that we see inkmoth, lilly, flip jace (EVEN THOUGH HE IS BAD), Kolghan's command (as a junk rare), Tarmogoyf, Ancestral Visions, Glimmervoid and Newlamog in the next one.

In the same way that

I think notable absences will be "most of affinity" and that much in the same way that they pushed affinity in the last one (etched champ, ravager, blinkmoth, opal, notable absence glimmervoid) they'll push grixis, with kcommand, cryptic again, tasigur, and ancestral visions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sigma-X posted:

I would imagine that we see inkmoth, lilly, flip jace (EVEN THOUGH HE IS BAD), Kolghan's command (as a junk rare), Tarmogoyf, Ancestral Visions, Glimmervoid and Newlamog in the next one.

In the same way that

I think notable absences will be "most of affinity" and that much in the same way that they pushed affinity in the last one (etched champ, ravager, blinkmoth, opal, notable absence glimmervoid) they'll push grixis, with kcommand, cryptic again, tasigur, and ancestral visions.

Imagine what tarmo will be if its not in MM2017.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

In the same way that

A lot of those won't be eligible to show up in the next MM if they stick with their "every two years of expansions" schedule

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

In the same way that

Based on the previous history, the set should only go up to Return to Ravnica.

I'm gonna laugh when Snapcaster Mage is a Mythic.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Based on the previous history, the set should only go up to Return to Ravnica.

I'm gonna laugh when Snapcaster Mage is a Mythic.

They have to because of limited!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sigma-X posted:

In the same way that

As stated, it's up to RTR, which means Snap, Lili Veil, The Nexuses (maybe just inky), and probably stuff like Chalice and Blood Moon will be in.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on two from troll and toad on Amazon. If they gently caress me on condition like they did last time, I can AtoZ it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Imagine what tarmo will be if its not in MM2017.

Goyf would be over 200 easy if it was played. It's bad in both Modern and Legacy now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Goyf would be over 200 easy if it was played. It's bad in both Modern and Legacy now.

I like how you have this pathological need to tell everyone what is bad right now even though your track record is loving terrible.

Skyl3lazer posted:

As stated, it's up to RTR, which means Snap, Lili Veil, The Nexuses (maybe just inky), and probably stuff like Chalice and Blood Moon will be in.

I mean the cards you're really talking about adding into the pool are Liliana of the Veil, Snapcaster Mage, Past in Flames (yay for a Red Mythic), Stony Silence, Cavern of Souls, Grafdigger's Cage, Voice of Resurgence, Abrupt Decay.

I don't expect the EV of any new set to be any higher than either EMA or MM2015 were.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I like how you have this pathological need to tell everyone what is bad right now even though your track record is loving terrible.

Apparently you don't keep track of Legacy and Modern Tournament results.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tarmogoyf is terrible and has been for a while. I only keep mine cuz then I wouldn't have jund to play anymore, which I play by necessity since I don't keep track of magic anymore and missed out on Nahiri or whatever being $5.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Top8'd both of the last 5 major tournaments. Hell, I didn't even go that far back. One it was a 2 of and it won one of them. What are you basing keep of track of modern of? IQ's and trials? Your local metagame? Your last FNM?

I get you don't like jund. But calling it bad is just idiotic.

2 of the top 8 decks in the last major legacy tourneyment had full playsets of tarmo. :lol: I don't even keep track of legacy.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 15, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Saying something sucks isn't a take, despite what mcmagic apparently believes.

Pretty much every time he announces "[card] sucks," its just that: mcmagic saying "card sucks." Its not like there's ever any deeper reasoning behind it, like "the metagame is hostile to Tarmogoyf because [explanation]," its just "Tarmogoyf sucks because I looked at a top 8 list (the height of tech) and didn't see deck it is played in as much the arbitrary amount I envisioned seeing."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tarmogoyf doesn't even have trample (like seriously wtf) and doesn't have access to literally the entirety of magic's spellbook like another blue 2-drop guy does.

e: I am willing to die on the "goyf needs trample" hill. it seriously does, it just gets chumped by pathetic 1/1 tokens all day.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 15, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Format defining card Tarmogoyf is bad according to McMagic. Okay.

Please tell me next McMagic how Lightning Bolt is "real bad" right now. Also how Inquisition of Kozilek is unplayable for some reason.

Also remind me how the loss of Eye of Ugin will kill Tron forever. Also how Kalitas is totally not worth playing over Olivia or Huntmaster in Jund.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

And you do? If so you need some loving reading glasses or something. GP Prague - legacy 2 'goyf decks t8. GP Charlotte - modern 13/32 goyfs spread over 4 decks (bant something ran a 1x) GP LA 1 Jund deck top 8. Modern Nexus meta breakdown which combines large paper events and modo results Jund is currently 8.8% of the meta, the highest % and Gruul Zoo is 2.9% #10 on their list.

mtggoldfish top creatures played in modern.

Top Creatures
Card Cost Dominance % of Decks # Played
1 Kitchen Finks 1gwgw 17.13% 21.70% 3.2
2 Noble Hierarch g 17.05% 18.76% 3.6
3 Tarmogoyf 1g 15.38% 16.80% 3.7
4 Snapcaster Mage 1u 14.89% 17.78% 3.3
5 Spellskite 2 13.62% 36.54% 1.5
6 Scavenging Ooze 1g 11.54% 25.29% 1.8
7 Wild Nacatl g 10.73% 10.77% 4.0
8 Monastery Swiftspear r 10.11% 10.11% 4.0
9 Fulminator Mage 1brbr 9.83% 16.48% 2.4
10 Dark Confidant 1b 9.46% 9.46% 4.0

and Legacy

Top Creatures
1 Deathrite Shaman bg 28.55% 29.55% 3.9
2 Delver of Secrets u 21.28% 21.28% 4.0
3 Tarmogoyf 1g 14.89% 14.89% 4.0
4 Snapcaster Mage 1u 14.30% 20.09% 2.8
5 Baleful Strix ub 11.82% 20.33% 2.3
6 Thought-Knot Seer 3c 11.70% 11.82% 4.0
7 Reality Smasher 4c 11.35% 11.58% 3.9
8 Endless One x 10.82% 10.87% 4.0
9 Eldrazi Mimic 2 10.64% 10.64% 4.0
10 Monastery Mentor 2w 9.81% 18.44% 2.1

You get we make fun of you because you just make poo poo up all the time right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

And you do? If so you need some loving reading glasses or something. GP Prague - legacy 2 'goyf decks t8. GP Charlotte - modern 13/32 goyfs spread over 4 decks (bant something ran a 1x) GP LA 1 Jund deck top 8. Modern Nexus meta breakdown which combines large paper events and modo results Jund is currently 8.8% of the meta, the highest % and Gruul Zoo is 2.9% #10 on their list.

mtggoldfish top creatures played in modern.

Top Creatures
1 Kitchen Finks 1gwgw 17.13% 21.70% 3.2
2 Noble Hierarch g 17.05% 18.76% 3.6
3 Tarmogoyf 1g 15.38% 16.80% 3.7
4 Snapcaster Mage 1u 14.89% 17.78% 3.3
5 Spellskite 2 13.62% 36.54% 1.5
6 Scavenging Ooze 1g 11.54% 25.29% 1.8
7 Wild Nacatl g 10.73% 10.77% 4.0
8 Monastery Swiftspear r 10.11% 10.11% 4.0
9 Fulminator Mage 1brbr 9.83% 16.48% 2.4
10 Dark Confidant 1b 9.46% 9.46% 4.0

and Legacy

Top Creatures
1 Deathrite Shaman bg 28.55% 29.55% 3.9
2 Delver of Secrets u 21.28% 21.28% 4.0
3 Tarmogoyf 1g 14.89% 14.89% 4.0
4 Snapcaster Mage 1u 14.30% 20.09% 2.8
5 Baleful Strix ub 11.82% 20.33% 2.3
6 Thought-Knot Seer 3c 11.70% 11.82% 4.0
7 Reality Smasher 4c 11.35% 11.58% 3.9
8 Endless One x 10.82% 10.87% 4.0
9 Eldrazi Mimic 2 10.64% 10.64% 4.0
10 Monastery Mentor 2w 9.81% 18.44% 2.1

You get we make fun of you because you just make poo poo up all the time right?

Great no context post. Goyf would've been well over 25% if you looked at this at a period of time when it was good in the meta. Unlike now.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Great no context post. Goyf would've been well over 25% if you looked at this at a period of time when it was good in the meta. Unlike now.

So the 3rd most played creature in legacy and modern is not good. That is what you are saying, right?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Are original Zendikar cards eligible for MM17?

Is it just a given that MM17 will happen, or has it somehow already been leaked/confirmed?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

"Card is worse" and "card is bad/unplayable" are not equivalent statements.

(Also, on average, just about every card gets worse over time :ssh: )

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
DRS is played twice as much and is below $5. Like goyf is still a ridiculous card but lol

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Context: it's still the third most played creature in legacy and modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

"Card is worse" and "card is bad/unplayable" are not equivalent statements.

(Also, on average, just about every card gets worse over time :ssh: )

I did not use the word unplayable. It's clearly not unplayable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

anglachel posted:

Format defining card Tarmogoyf is bad according to McMagic. Okay.

Please tell me next McMagic how Lightning Bolt is "real bad" right now. Also how Inquisition of Kozilek is unplayable for some reason.

Also remind me how the loss of Eye of Ugin will kill Tron forever. Also how Kalitas is totally not worth playing over Olivia or Huntmaster in Jund.

To be fair Kalitas will only be relevant as long azban company is. I would rather play huntmaster against every other deck. Olivia probably isn't as good as thrun or kalitas right now against the field as a whole.

mcmagic posted:

mcmagic posted:

I did not use the word unplayable. It's clearly not unplayable.

You are a weird person.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 15, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

To be fair Kalitas will only be relevant as long azban company is. I would rather play huntmaster against every other deck. Olivia probably isn't as good as thrun or kalitas right now against the field as a whole.

You are a weird person.

I'll take poo poo for being wrong about Kalitas in Modern. I clearly was. Not the case with Goyf and Bad and Unplayable aren't the same thing.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'll take poo poo for being wrong about Kalitas in Modern. I clearly was. Not the case with Goyf and Bad and Unplayable aren't the same thing.

Maybe you should define the word bad. Also you should explain why one of the most played cards in successful competitive modern/legacy decks, by any imaginable metric, would qualify as bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Maybe you should define the word bad. Also you should explain why one of the most played cards in modern/legacy, by any imaginable metric, would qualify as bad.

It would be worth 200 bucks if it was played.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think my favorite part is bitching about lack of context and sticking with "Tarmogoyf is bad now because reasons."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

It would be worth 200 bucks if it was played.

Angry Grimace posted:

I think my favorite part is bitching about lack of context and sticking with "Tarmogoyf is bad now because reasons."

I don't get how McMagic can be so good at the actual game but have such nonsensically bad posts/opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I agree with mcmagic. The horror...

Goyf is definitely the creature I'm least concerned about in legacy. It's an easy 4 of, but I'd rather see it than any other creature on that list of most played creatures.

• Locked thread