Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Substandard posted:

Anyway I'm making a dude, and I'm curious, how much do starting races matter? It looks like getting percentage based magic bonuses from a dunmer would be huge if I want to make a magic night blade, but on the other hand, stabby lizard men are awesome. Just curious if I'm severely gimping myself by making a argonian

Go with what you think is coolest, my dude. The lack of bonuses isn't going to make much of a difference unless you're trying to be bleeding edge and that's just a fools game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
While some racials have better mechanical benefit at the highest tier of play, ain't no race is as cool as Argonian. That's a hidden bonus.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I went with the lizard man despite my misgivings about not min-maxing.

Are guild invites at the character level or the account name level? I am fairly positive it's account and I should be @DoublePlusRad if someone will invite me for the PC guild.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 15, 2016

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Reinstalling this I guess. Orc Sorc or bust.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Rookersh posted:

http://www.kinguin.net/category/15409/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-3000-crown-pack-key/

This is the only key that works with Steam. It's sadly been spiking pretty hard recently as people come back due to DB. Used to be $10 for two months, already up to $18.

Sketchy key site and all that, but I'm subbed until January thanks to those $10 keys, haha.

Thanks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bombogenesis posted:

Reinstalling this I guess. Orc Sorc or bust.

Fengrush is that you?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

Fengrush is that you?

I was watching his stream last night a bit while playing. He is currently emperor. I asked him if he could run the 10k telvar set with emp in IC. He did. He had 70k+ Stam, etc.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Now I have all the expansions. Any leveling advice? I'm 10 now but if I could quickly grind or do some sort of glitch I'd much rather do PVE in those post-50 areas.

Any expansions that'll really help with leveling?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 15, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi so I bought the game at launch and then didn't play at all. I decided to get into the game after the E3 stuff and I'm wondering how to join the goon guild? The OP didn't seem to say.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Now I have all the expansions. Any leveling advice? I'm 10 now but if I could quickly grind or do some sort of glitch I'd much rather do PVE in those post-50 areas.

Seconding this request. I'm lvl9 and while I enjoy questing, levelling is just so godawfully tedious. I grabbed some XP scrolls while they were on special, but I'd like to use them with a good levelling method to maximise their use.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thinking of picking this up in the fall when One Tamriel stuff goes live. Are any of the DLC packs worth it to buy right away, or can they wait until I get some crown stipends after a few months sub?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thinking of picking this up in the fall when One Tamriel stuff goes live. Are any of the DLC packs worth it to buy right away, or can they wait until I get some crown stipends after a few months sub?

Go on the previous page. I linked to ESO 60 days + 3000 crowns for 8 dollars less than it costs to get the crowns normally, and it comes with access to all the DLCs

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Hi so I bought the game at launch and then didn't play at all. I decided to get into the game after the E3 stuff and I'm wondering how to join the goon guild? The OP didn't seem to say.

Scyantific posted:

The majority of Goons currently play in the Ebonheart Pact faction (the one with the dragon). You're not forced to play with goons in the same faction, but you will need an EP character for group/PvP hijinks until Zenimax gets off their rear end and implements true cross-faction grouping.

That being said, there are currently 2 major goon guilds:
  • Ebonheart Goons - This is the main guild that we use for in-game chat and stuff.
  • Deconstruct Circlejerk - A guild specifically created to help goons level up crafting professions.
If you want an invite, just drop your @username in the thread and someone will get you an invite into the guild.

Second post in the thread :shobon:

Do note that while the main guild faction hasn't changed, you're no longer required to be Ebonheart if you want to group with goons, unless you want to PvP.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Seconding this request. I'm lvl9 and while I enjoy questing, levelling is just so godawfully tedious. I grabbed some XP scrolls while they were on special, but I'd like to use them with a good levelling method to maximise their use.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

As far as grinding in the x-pacs goes, Imperial City and Orsinium are your best bets if you want to grind. Imperial City offers the best XP in the game at the cost of being left open to gankers looking to take your Tel Var. Orsinium public dungeons can be decent if they're not packed with Chinese grinders/gold farmers. Other than that, here's an EP grind guide that I posted a while back:

Scyantific posted:

You can grind, but it's ill-advised if it's your first character.

Here are the best spots to grind if you're in the EP faction:

Stonefalls: Vivec's Antlers; West of Ebonheart city, bout top-center on the map. The Dreugh there will get you from level 5 to level 16
Deshaan I: West Narsis, west of Mournhold, lower left of the map. Zombies there should get you to level 18
Deshaan II: Silent Mire, east of Mournhold, southeastern area of the map. Pirates there should get you to around level 26, and the dolmen is a good place to get some XP as well, clear it every time it pops up.
Shadowfen: Percolating Mire, southeast corner of the map. More pirates there which should get you to level 34. Do the nearby dolmen as well for XP
Eastmarch: Skip this zone, no worthwhile grinding spots
The Rift I: Northwind Mine. Upper center of map, should get you to level 41-42 fairly easy.
The Rift II: Lost Prospect. Southeast of Riften, zombies should get you to about 45-46
Coldharbour I: Vile Laboratory, east of Hollow City. This place should get you to level 50 and into vet/champion ranks.
Coldharbour II: Cliffs of Failure, north of Vile Laboratory. Same as Coldharbour I

Past level 50 it's either doing the Cadwell areas, following only the main quests in each zone, Imperial Sewers grinding, and daily random dungeons.

Best thing to do is to grind until you're no longer getting XP, then make a sweep of the map to clear every solo dungeon, world boss, dolmen, and grab all the skyshards in the zone you're currently grinding in before moving on to the next one.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe a dumb question: Installing, it's asking me to pick a megaserver? Do I pick NA to play with you guys (I'm in the UK, I assume playing cross-atlantic is okay)? Does that matter? Couldn't see it mentioned in the OP.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Maybe a dumb question: Installing, it's asking me to pick a megaserver? Do I pick NA to play with you guys (I'm in the UK, I assume playing cross-atlantic is okay)? Does that matter? Couldn't see it mentioned in the OP.
Pick North America.
Unlike some MMOs, TESO has a separate install for the NA client and the EU client (probably because they update them on different days) and the vast majority of us goons plays on NA.
I'm from Europe with a not particularly good internet connection and, especially after the last few updates, I don't really experience any lag-related issues.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah pick the NA megaserver that's where most goons play.

Also do note that any Crown store purchases DO NOT carry over between megaservers, just like progress and items.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Part of me wants to tell you to stay on the EU megaserver because the Goon population isn't worth the additional latency, not enough active members and you'll most likely join 4 other guilds as well for other things, but I don't know how the population is over there either. NA has a lot of people.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I picked NA, thanks. Not too worried about latency, I'm pretty used to playing things at 2-300 ping at this point.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Scyantific posted:

here's an EP grind guide that I posted a while back:

Holy poo poo, this is way more effective than I thought it would be. Just spent a little under two hours grinding Vivec's Antlers and went from lvl 9 to lvl 15. I have a sub and used an xp scroll, but it went surprisingly well. Looking forward to trying the other areas soon. Thanks for the tips!

At the moment I'm running a stam NB and using the AoE of Steel Tornado to get groups and it seems to be going great. Is there an even more efficient method or any other tips in terms of build/skills to grind these areas?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Use a Two-Hander, with the Cleave (Brawler once you hit the morph). Brawler gives you a damage shield.

Also I'll craft you a full set of Training gear for even more delicious XP.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What crafting mods do you guys suggest? The UI feels a bit clunky, especially for stuff like alchemy.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oooops guess I was blind.

Can @cheesetriangles get an invite?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

What crafting mods do you guys suggest? The UI feels a bit clunky, especially for stuff like alchemy.

CraftStore for all non-alchemy crafting, and Potion Maker for alchemy.

Multi-craft, and if you're not ESO+, Circonian's FilterIt, which separates medium and light armors at the clothier.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it worth buying a mount from the crown store?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it worth buying a mount from the crown store?

Only if you like the look of it. All mounts are functionally identical, it's just cosmetic difference. If you don't care you can just stick with the plain horse that sells for 10,000 gold in game, or the 1 gold horse that comes with the Imperial edition.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Riding a bear or a lion sounds pretty neat.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...9dddeb85f000012

"Speaking to IGN, game director Matt Firor confirmed that an Argonian Dungeon Pack and character customising barber shop would arrive in August, while the much-requested addition of player housing would be added in "the first quarter of next year"."

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Riding a bear or a lion sounds pretty neat.

Or you could be a cat on a camel

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Fried Sushi posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...9dddeb85f000012

"Speaking to IGN, game director Matt Firor confirmed that an Argonian Dungeon Pack and character customising barber shop would arrive in August, while the much-requested addition of player housing would be added in "the first quarter of next year"."

An Argonian dungeon was part of the Vvardenfell datamine as it were:

quote:

The Ruins of Mazzatun have long been a blight on the pristine marshland of Shadowfen. Legend tells of a Mad Hist at the center of the ruins, but Argonians who enter the “Puzzle City” seldom live to tell the tale.

gonna fight a crazy tree

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

gonna fight a crazy tree
Real Dark Souls starts now.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Essentially you want to herd the mobs into an AoE pit. The grind areas are all areas that lend themselves to running a route such that by the time you hit the top things are respawning.

For Stam classes Brawler and Reverse Slice give you excellent survivability and eventually Rally gives you a good heal and buff. Tornado is probably better dps, but can be challenged by survivability. Both Slashes and Flurry now have excellent health leeches though. For Magicka the Wall of Elements in destro staff is excellent and can be combined with a lot of class based AoEs. In particular look for AoEs that also snare or immobilize so you keep critters In the AoE pit. You will also find some AoEs that return resources.

Bow is often criticized, but has a good AoE's that can be useful for leveling. Sword and Board has one three target AoE and no leeches. Another clunky way to create AoE is to run around applying DoTs to a bunch of single targets. When the DoTs are self heals this can work pretty well, but of course it is slower.

Whatever method essentially you want to stack AoE's and give yourself survivability (shields, self heals, crowd control, etc.)

If you make or get training trait Armor/Weps (which you should) you can use it for about 10 levels per set at least. There is some small cost associated with this since you will want to keep it repaired.

The best exp bonus also comes from running with one other person. More than that and you get diminishing returns. If you have someone who can do a set time and such then you can also get married (Ring of Mara) and this adds another exp buff.

If you are grinding rather than running quest lines then make sure to pay attention to sky shards and lore books. Do the fighters guild as well. Grinding can make your skill points scarce so you need all the shards if you are not questing.

If you want to vamp it up you can get bitten early on and there are ways to do the initial quest low level. Vamp is a skill line that levels whether or not you have anything on your bar. In the new system you can easily keep it to stage one vampirism which has minimal effects while you level. Once you have the passives levels you can then pick what stage works for you and maintain it. If you want to go WW just stay in the initial quest area killing things until you max out the line. The reason to do this is that while in the area you can stay WW rather than going in and out all the time based on building Ultimate.

An alternative is to mix questing and grinding. Gather quests together and pop an exp scroll/pot before turning a whole bunch in, then use the rest of the time grinding. Every five levels you will get the next main story line quest. This levels Soul Magic and gives skill points.

Each zone has one main story line which gives skill points. You will need to search around a bit to figure out what is the main and what is a side quest, but there are a lot of good web resources on this.

I have been extremely negligent running group dungeons for Undaunted and I regret it. The skill line has a critical end game passive and the dungeons drop all the monster helms. The keys give you shoulders and can be saved until you hit cp160. You can wait, as I have, but then you end up with a high level character and no idea about the mechanics of all the dungeons. This has not worked out particularly well for me.

As you level toward "end game" and want functional gear (not really necessary to min/max obsessively to really have fun) you will either need a crafter and materials or in game currencies (gold, alliance points from pvp, telvar stones from Imperial City). Probably both. Someone else smarter than me could maybe make an effort post about how to prepare for all that since I am mostly failing though I have maxed crafters in all the craft lines. I have completely failed at using guild stores and buying/selling. There are quite a few master crafters in the guild already who can make almost anything craftable in the game. There are really experienced players that have successfully dragged my sorry rear end through much of the group content. So you can take advantage of that goon largess.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
My only cat rides a dog and also turn into a dog. He is actually a dog wearing a cat suit. (I have a lvl 16 cat as well who is a maxed provisioned, but is a nb, a cat and AD so I will never level him unless I decide to make a terribad AD stamblade).

One of my lizards rides a camel. The camels make a noise like the matrix ships. Another rides a lizard, which is just wrong. Can't remember what the third one rides. A spotted horse maybe? My Imperial of course rides a big white horse. Some of the electric, fiery mounts are cool, but they make a lot of noise that I would find irritating.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Also I'll craft you a full set of Training gear for even more delicious XP.

This would be great. Thanks!

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Ok so I am in deep in the pre getting online research phase of the game. What do the DLCs offer for leveling? Each of the two older ones seems to have things and stuff but I am not sure of that is pre 50 or post 50 content and how I would know at what point in the game to wander over to them?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They scale so at any point you want. It might be beneficial to save some or even most of it for your endgame grind but I've been doing them in between regular quests, just alternating so I'm never completely out of the level range of the main continent stuff.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Heya dudes. Just hit level 9 and think I'm ready to join the goon guild. Reasonably certain IGN is @Duderclese

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Morglon posted:

They scale so at any point you want. It might be beneficial to save some or even most of it for your endgame grind but I've been doing them in between regular quests, just alternating so I'm never completely out of the level range of the main continent stuff.
While you get scaled, you might have trouble with some of the bosses from the expansions. At least I had a lot of trouble with the second to last boss of Dark Brotherhood, and probably would have done worse against the last boss except he bugged out on my second try, refusing to hit me and only casting a shield over and over and over again. Which made it one of the longest and most boring boss fights I've ever seen.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Made a buddy tonight

The way people reacted you'd think they'd never seen a minotaur before, but they're all over the Gold Coast!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

"Oh, Austin Powerdovitch! You are hairy, like animal!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My favorite past time is still if I'm ever going afk to just park myself in the stands of the Kvatch arena and set my IdleAnimation add-on to loop /boo as people do the boss fight there.

• Locked thread