Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I officially love how cartoony it is. Cleopatra hamming it up is hilarious.

Yep, I don't think we're going to get unique leader scenes for every leader though because Cleopatra has eaten all of the scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh boy, leader screens that take up the entire screen and pop up unannounced. Just what I wanted.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh boy, leader screens that take up the entire screen and pop up unannounced. Just what I wanted.

I'm not certain, but I think it's been said that they do not just pop up, and that they are more of a mandatory message that you must click on before the turn ends. If that is correct, then the only reason they popped up is because we were watching a prerecorded demo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If wonder spamming turns into a giant flashing come gently caress with me sign I'd be thrilled

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

If wonder spamming turns into a giant flashing come gently caress with me sign I'd be thrilled

Pretty sure it is. If wonders can be nuked then they should be able to be pillaged.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Wonders shown:

Big Ben (needs to be built adject to a City Center?)
The Colosseum: needs to be built adjacent to an Entertainment Complex district, on flat land.
+1 Culture and +1 Amenity. An additional +1 Culture and + 1 Amenity in each City.
Eiffel Tower: needs to be built adjacent to a City Center, on flat land.
All tiles in your territory gain +2 Appeal.
Great Library: needs to be built adjacent to a Campus district with a Library built, on flat land.
+2 Science, +1 Great Scientist Point. Has 2 Great Work of Writing slots, gives a tech boost to all Ancient and Classical techs.
Hagia Sophia: needs to be built adjacent to a Holy Site district, on flat land. Must have founded a religion.
+4 Faith and +2 Great Prophet Points. Missionaries and Apostles get 1 additional charge.
Hanging Gardens: needs to be built next to a river.
15% Growth boost in all cities.
Mahabodhi Temple: needs to be built adjacent to a Holy Site district with a Temple built, in a Forest. Must have founded a religion.
+4 Faith and +1 Great Prophet Point, 2 free Apostles.
Mont St. Michael: needs to be built on Floodplains or Marsh.
+2 Faith. Has 2 Relic slots, all Apostles you create gain the Martyr ability in addition to a second ability you choose.
The Oracle: needs to be built on a hill.
+1 Faith, +1 Culture and +1 Great Person Points for each type (Scientist, Prophet, Artist, Admiral, Engineer, General, Merchant). Great people require 25% less Faith to purchase.
Pyramids: needs to be built on flat desert.
+2 Culture, a free Builder. All Builders get 1 additional charge.
Stonehenge: needs to be built adjacent to stone, on flat land.
+2 Faith, a free Great Prophet, and acts as a Holy Site in allowing a religion to be founded.
Terracotta Army
(+2 Great General Points?)
Venetian Arsenal: needs to be built adjacent to the coast and an Industrial Zone district.
+2 Great Engineer Points. Receive a second naval unit each time you train a naval unit.

Civics shown:

Military
Discipline: +5 strength vs barbarians for melee units
Maritime Industries: +100% Production towards Ancient and Classical naval units
Retainers: +1 Amenities for garrisoned units
Survey: Double experience for recon units
Diplomatic
Charismatic Leader: +2 points towards earning Envoys
Diplomatic League: First Envoys to a City State count as 2.
Economic
Caravansaries: +2 Gold from trade routes
Colonization: +50% production towards Settlers
God King: +1 Faith, +1 Gold in the capital
Land Surveyors: 20% price reduction for purchasing tiles
Meritocracy: +1 Culture for each specialty district
Urban Planning: +1 Production in all cities
Wildcard
Literary Tradition: +2 Great Artist Points per turn
Revelation: +2 Great Prophet Points per turn
Inspiration: +2 Great Scientist Points per turn

Barracks and Stables are mutually exclusive within a Military Encampment district. There's more to religion v. religion play: at least 3 units, including Apostles, Inquisitors, and Missionaries in addition to Great Prophets. Great Prophets are not generated through Faith production (though can still be bought with Faith).
Looks as though most if not all Wonders have some kind of building restriction; they're not entirely prohibitive, but it might be difficult to account for many of the requirements in a single city, even beyond other space concerns.

GrandpaPants posted:

The civic cards kinda look eh, though. I'm worried that there's going to be an optimal set to work towards, but we'll see I guess.
Well, the intention seems to be that you'll be swapping them on the regular to adjust to your situation. Might depend on how much it costs to swap them outside of free swaps.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm starting to really like the wonder requirements. Even though within 2 weeks we will be able to look at our staring position and plan ahead for what we want, but that's unavoidable. The good news is that you'll only be competing against 1-2 other civs at maximum for the wonder. I really think that VI is going to give us some variety.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tall cities definitely look to be less of a thing because of how the Districts and Wonder systems work. ICS or wide play in general, however, might be more of a thing though depending on the downsides of adding another city as more real estate means more districts and more cities and presumably culture means more cities.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If each city takes up a huge chunk of space it probably won't be ICS levels.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why can't I build pyramids in jungle? loving bullshit.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Ghostlight posted:

This blatant anti-Mayan bias will not stand!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

pfft who wants pyramids in the jungle. It is all about them ocean pyramids.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really like that instead of an arbitrary number, expansion is limited by having dudes rape your districts.

Can't wait for VI.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

You probably totally could build a pyramid in the jungle. It's called Chichen Itza.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chichen Itza is a city. The correct refutation was "It's called Borobudur".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like those wonder requirements. It forces you to make choices instead of building EVERYTHING. It WOULD suck sometimes if you had a perfect spot for a wonder, but didn't have the ability to build the wonder because of lack of say, desert tiles or some such. BUT THEMS THE BREAKS.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Terrain requirements for Wonders is just another handy way to decentralize your cities and civilization - got to spread out those wonders not just around the city, but to different cities lest you choke down the one that's building them all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They're going back to the Civ IV font? The font was the worst thing about Civ IV.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

They're going back to the Civ IV font? The font was the worstbest thing about Civ IV.

TBH the font used by Amplitude for their Endless Series remains the best font and I wish I could use it for everything.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
It's at least a good sign that the biggest issues we have thus far are related to art rather than core gameplay mechanics

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Map art seems very gorgeous and I coulnt care less for the way leaders look

I wonder if they are planning to have a linux version? Civ 5 did but it was kind of a very late afterthough

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ManifunkDestiny posted:

It's at least a good sign that the biggest issues we have thus far are related to art rather than core gameplay mechanics

It's kind of hard to see anything beyond hugely, blatantly stupid mechanics at this stage. What works well and what works poorly is going to have to wait until we get our hands on the actual game.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'm kind of surprised that folks have an issue with Cleopatra's animation. I think she looked really great and I hope we see more leaders with that level of expressiveness.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wonder if they are planning to have a linux version? Civ 5 did but it was kind of a very late afterthough

They've already said the game will come out on Linux and SteamOS.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I like those wonder requirements. It forces you to make choices instead of building EVERYTHING. It WOULD suck sometimes if you had a perfect spot for a wonder, but didn't have the ability to build the wonder because of lack of say, desert tiles or some such. BUT THEMS THE BREAKS.
You're already making those decisions since they consume a district, but it does make having a standard build order that much harder.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Well poo poo, I'm suddenly on the hook again for having to buy this pre-expansions.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://www.facebook.com/civ/

They just did like a 30 min live stream Q&A about the game the video is on the page.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

In the E3 video Ed repeated a statement from the May event about how people really love playing on Real Earth maps and that they've chosen the civs this time to try to better accommodate that mode (he mentioned South America specifically last time, I think).

He said there would be 18 civs on release, including a few that have never before appeared in a civ game. There sure is a big gap on the Real Earth map down in the vicinity of Australia, and coincidentally that's a civ that has never appeared in any game before. Is it finally time? :australia:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I hope it's some Aborigine one or new zealand instead just to stick it to the aussies

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I'm glad the Maori civilization will finally be making an appearance

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

New Zealand got suckered by being rolled into Polynesia last game. I'm just hoping Australia's leader is Tony Abbott to take full advantage of the new cartoony leader graphics.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

https://www.facebook.com/civ/

They just did like a 30 min live stream Q&A about the game the video is on the page.

Interesting new info - each Civ has 4 unique things
-A 'Civ' Unique bonus that lasts for the whole game
-A 'Leader' based bonus that is focused on the specific era the leader is from, and may include bonuses and/or unique units
-A unique unit
-A unique building/improvement or even a unique district

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

Interesting new info - each Civ has 4 unique things
-A 'Civ' Unique bonus that lasts for the whole game
-A 'Leader' based bonus that is focused on the specific era the leader is from, and may include bonuses and/or unique units
-A unique unit
-A unique building/improvement or even a unique district

Presumably Teddy's unique unit is the Rough Riders, although we don't know America's Unique Ability. This definitely leaves the door open for multiple leaders per Civ.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
18 Civs is no surprise after the last two games; assuming they keep the "core" Civs in, that's 5-6 additional spots for newcomers. Could be another first-time Civ for native North America and Africa to go with someone to represent Oceania.

Mentioning 'Leader' based bonuses is pretty transparently baiting the possibility of multiple leaders for a single Civ, whether at launch or not.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I never really got the desire for multiple leaders, aside from it being easier to design than a while new civ. I'd rather some underrepresented civilization be given the spotlight instead of having like, Lincoln in the game.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
My non-toxx predictions:

America
China
Japan
Egypt
Russia
England
Germany
Zulu
Aztecs
Inca
Australia
Maori
Vietnam
Persia
Greece
Rome
Iroquois
Tupi

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

There is no way India is going to be excluded in the base game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking we may see a Mexico or Canada. More Mexico than Canada.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Nah, no way they'll keep Aztecs out (Mexico and Aztecs would have the exact same TSL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Also prediction: Persia will be more along the lines of Safavid-era Iran and will be led by Abbas I.