Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bitter Mushroom posted:

won't DLC factions like that split the playerbase?

Well factions are tied to maps, right? So it's more that DLC maps will split the playerbase. Just as they did for BF4 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Perestroika posted:

Holy gently caress, that dynamic plane damage from 28:00 on. :stare:

There is also going to be dynamic tank damage and they don't self repair anymore.

The tank and sky lords will hate it.

V for Vegans posted:

That's level cap in a nutshell. He claims to love battlefield because of its vehicles and teamwork, but then complains when he can't be equally as effective against vehicles as any class.

I hope that artillery plays a big roll in a bunch of maps and he hates it but can't stop playing because he knows where his bread is buttered.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

There is also going to be dynamic tank damage and they don't self repair anymore.

The tank and sky lords will hate it.

Both planes and tanks can self repair but there's a few conditions.

1) You have to stop and not shoot as a tank. Planes have to fly straight, slow, and will apparently slowly lose altitude while doing it. Don't know if the auto-repair can fix the structure damage though.
2) You have to spawn in them at the tanker/pilot class. If a tanker/pilot class bails out of their vehicle and you as a regular infantry class get in you can't repair it and have to rely on the medic class (which also repairs vehicles).

Bitter Mushroom posted:

won't DLC factions like that split the playerbase?

It looks like it's going to be playing France or whatever on the maps that come with the DLC. So the split won't be any worse than what it is currently.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kibayasu posted:

Both planes and tanks can self repair but there's a few conditions.

1) You have to stop and not shoot as a tank. Planes have to fly straight, slow, and will apparently slowly lose altitude while doing it. Don't know if the auto-repair can fix the structure damage though.
2) You have to spawn in them at the tanker/pilot class. If a tanker/pilot class bails out of their vehicle and you as a regular infantry class get in you can't repair it and have to rely on the medic class (which also repairs vehicles).

not self-repair but they don't regen health if not repaired at this point in the game. I'm sure everyone will bitch and they will change it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that article sort of implies that you at some point play as French in the campaign but that still really sucks. also I thought I saw French tanks in one of the videos so who is driving those?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Looks like they stretched a bit with the tanks to get light, medium and large for each side because that French Renault light tank you saw in the footage was driven by the German team. It had the iron cross painted like it was captured or whatever.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Battlefield youtubers are generally the worst battlefield players. I watched xfactors reaction video where he discussed his thoughts and feelings of playing the game and one of his biggest debates was that each class felt too individualized and that they should be more blended. It's like these people don't even play battlefield. The only battlefield youtuber who truly understood the game was shibby2142 but he gave up and switched to tf2 shortly after bf4 released.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Can't wait for dumb rear end snipers to find a way to snipe from up there and become even more useless than they are on the standard poo poo mountains

The first week when snipers spawn in planes to snipe from the top of those balloons, only to jump out and find they have the wrong kit is going to be the golden age of bf1.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Captain Beans posted:

Looks like they stretched a bit with the tanks to get light, medium and large for each side because that French Renault light tank you saw in the footage was driven by the German team. It had the iron cross painted like it was captured or whatever.

In fairness IRL captured Armor was fairly important for the Germans during the Spring offensive, certainly they were more important than their own tanks of which they only built like twenty that saw service.

E; I guarantee this ridiculous thing will be one of the behemoths in future maps even though none of them were actually finished or deployed:

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 15, 2016

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I know the Germans used captured British tanks, but I guess they're going for some kind of watered down thing where every side has access to every tank? Seeing Brits/Allies driving A7V's is a little dumb.

And no Whippet tanks? :(

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

Welp, looks like you're gonna have to pay extra if you want to play as the French. Guessing Russia will be the same down the line.

I am all but certain the only reason they are pay-walling the French is because they are going to try and release a big ole' Battle of Verdun campaign/map pack because it's like the one battle that the layman even kind of knows about by name. At least in the States.

E: the real money will be in the Lawrence of Arabia pack though. German Trains versus Arabs all day.

Paranoid Dude fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 15, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Mordja posted:

Welp, looks like you're gonna have to pay extra if you want to play as the French. Guessing Russia will be the same down the line.

Lmfao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Why do Swedish people suck rear end so much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

In fairness IRL captured Armor was fairly important for the Germans during the Spring offensive, certainly they were more important than their own tanks of which they only built like twenty that saw service.

E; I guarantee this ridiculous thing will be one of the behemoths in future maps even though none of them were actually finished or deployed:

Pay for French DLC, get the Char 2C

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordja posted:

the gently caress?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I don't plan on surrendering so why would I play as the French anyway :grin:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Funny how even one minute of straight gameplay footage is a lot more enticing than 30 clips of 3-4 seconds spliced together like some kind of ADD awareness campaign.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Icept posted:

I don't plan on surrendering so why would I play as the French anyway :grin:

All jokes aside I'm sure some garbage idiot out there is going to write a garbage idiot article about how this is offensive to the French soldiers who died during the war.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mordja posted:

Oh that's right, I almost forgot that EA owns DICE now

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

To be fair, DLC bullshit like this does help maintain a decently sized player base by never giving you the entire game until a couple months before the next one comes out.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

If anyone's interested, you can get this on Greenmangaming for $45 with the voucher code.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If anyone's interested, you can get this on Greenmangaming for $45 with the voucher code.

Thanks, I may actually do this. I never pre-order poo poo, especially this far in advance, but this looks really good.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

that's not the full game is it? Because if so that's an awesome deal this far out

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

notlodar posted:

To be fair, DLC bullshit like this does help maintain a decently sized player base by never giving you the entire game until a couple months before the next one comes out.
I mean, it's not like the DLC is done when the game is released. It's basically just 2 expansion packs, but released in 4-5 chunks

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordja posted:

lol

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Aces High posted:

that's not the full game is it? Because if so that's an awesome deal this far out

Full game. And the 25% off code applies to a few other games as well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

sarmhan posted:

I mean, it's not like the DLC is done when the game is released. It's basically just 2 expansion packs, but released in 4-5 chunks

From what I've heard from my friend at DICE, most DLCs are absolutely NOT ready for action at release day. The first one might be though.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Most of the BF4 Youtube people are so used to playing with squads that follow them around and cover things like revives and spotting and killing vehicles that they are near incapable of teamwork and have become incredibly dependent on these other players to make them look good.

Noticed this with Overwatch, too. Usually guys who uncompromisingly play Attacker characters and nothing else while the healer in their group doesn't heal anyone but the streamer.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

That is because each dlc pack focuses on a interesting region of the war. So each dlc starting with the French faction will be centered on conflicts they were the forefront of. This also allow them to have a bit more leeway about the types of weapons that come with the dlc. Since they had a lot of troops in these battles they can add more interesting guns that may have seen limited use.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

xyigx posted:

That is because each dlc pack focuses on a interesting region of the war. So each dlc starting with the French faction will be centered on conflicts they were the forefront of. This also allow them to have a bit more leeway about the types of weapons that come with the dlc. Since they had a lot of troops in these battles they can add more interesting guns that may have seen limited use.

I think most people would have expected the French to be in before the Italians. Like if the French were in launch and the Italians as DLC there wouldn't be nearly as much stink about it.

Atleast they managed to get in the Ottomans at launch. And if this is their plan then maybe we'll see a DLC with Bulgaria or Greece or even Japan.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its kind of awkward the way there are a swathe of allied armies that could be represented in the game but only four central powers that can be used. I doubt the Bulgarians will show up in any event.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

I think most people would have expected the French to be in before the Italians. Like if the French were in launch and the Italians as DLC there wouldn't be nearly as much stink about it.

Atleast they managed to get in the Ottomans at launch. And if this is their plan then maybe we'll see a DLC with Bulgaria or Greece or even Japan.

Thank loving god they have no excuse to put wake island in this game. The only game that map was not absolute poo poo on was 1942.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Lmao if you think they won't do a classic maps pack. I'm looking forward to the locker/metro 24/7 servers

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I originally would have assumed that Bulgaria would never be featured even in DLC simply because probably 70% of the playerbase would be unable to locate Bulgaria on a map. But thats probably just as true of Austria and Hungary, let alone the former Empire. so who knows.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Lmao if you think they won't do a classic maps pack. I'm looking forward to the locker/metro 24/7 servers

Was Wake Island part of WW1? :v:

Seriously, I'm hoping for fresh new maps. No Karkand, Locker or Metro pls. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

Its kind of awkward the way there are a swathe of allied armies that could be represented in the game but only four central powers that can be used. I doubt the Bulgarians will show up in any event.

How many people who will buy this game actually know about the Serbian front? A man named Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry and so a war started (Though, Franz Ferdinand probably did kill an Ostrich once because he was hungry. Man slaughtered animals for fun hunting with machine guns). Besides, the Serbian front is just a year of Austro Hungary embarrassing itself, followed by a month long extermination campaign by three central powers.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Snuffman posted:

Dice Letting realism and accuracy stand in the way of making money? :v:

There's going to be some sort of dlc map pack with throwbacks to previous games eventually

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

No sniper class

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

Dice Letting realism and accuracy stand in the way of making money? :v:

There's going to be some sort of dlc map pack with throwbacks to previous games eventually

Realism and accuracy are for chumps.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Earwicker posted:

I originally would have assumed that Bulgaria would never be featured even in DLC simply because probably 70% of the playerbase would be unable to locate Bulgaria on a map. But thats probably just as true of Austria and Hungary, let alone the former Empire. so who knows.

Eh, if you're going to have Italy and (eventually perhaps) the Eastern front you can't avoid the Austrians. The Bulgarians were much more localized and in the front that probably gets most forgotten in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Full game. And the 25% off code applies to a few other games as well.

Was the voucher code the E3SAVE25 or E32016 ones? They are not working for me.

• Locked thread