Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Just Cause 3 came out a little over 6mos ago and there still isn't a working crack for it. Same with Farcry Primal.
Yes, and a big part of the reason is that people stop trying a month or so after release. Why spend three months working on cracking a game that'll be $5 in the summer sale? You might as well spend that time doing contract work and just buy keys for all the people that would have bothered playing the cracked version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Cojawfee posted:

That is, something that spec wise is on par with the Vive and Rift for only 400 dollars. I don't know how good the quality will be, but if it's good enough and it works on SteamVR, it could be a really good deal.

I'm really curious what they will do as far as input methods. OSVR doesn't really seem like a decent alternative if it is lacking motion controls by the time Touch comes out. Right now OSVR seems like a really lovely option because you can't play most of the Vive games without motion controls and you can't use the Oculus store for gamepad games.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 15, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lucid Dream posted:

I'm really curious what they will do as far as input methods. OSVR doesn't really seem like a decent alternative if it is lacking motion controls by the time Touch comes out. Right now OSVR seems like a really lovely option because you can't play most of the Vive games without motion controls and you can't use the Oculus store for gamepad games.
It's Razer, so they have plenty of experience with lovely motion controls. I'm sure they could just run off another batch of Hydras if they wanted to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lucid Dream posted:

There is some company that's making a VR glove that they are working with. There's always the Hydra and if the Sixsense ever actually launches, this could be its place to shine. Though I'd figure the Stem guys would be doing whatever they could to try to ride OSVR's coat tails if they could actually release a product.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

NRVNQSR posted:

It's Razer, so they have plenty of experience with lovely motion controls. I'm sure they could just run off another batch of Hydras if they wanted to.

Well, if I recall, Razer had Sixense design/manufacture the Hydra, and Sixense is working on the STEM system... So uh.. I hope they don't use that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
STEM lol

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Jesus, the STEM is more expensive than the Vive itself.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You can get PS move controllers working with Steam VR apparently.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cojawfee posted:

Though that second option doesn't seem too bad now that we're seeing what OSVR is bringing to the table next month. That is, something that spec wise is on par with the Vive and Rift for only 400 dollars. I don't know how good the quality will be, but if it's good enough and it works on SteamVR, it could be a really good deal.
I'm curious how their optics and displays stand up. Interestingly, their own specs list a pixel density of 441ppi which is lower than both the Rift (456ppi) and Vive (447ppi).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TomR posted:

You can get PS move controllers working with Steam VR apparently.

Wasn't there also rumours that PSVR would work with PC? If that does happen, it would actually be an epic deal, if you already own a ps4 and a pc.

vvv: Obviously it's not the same thing, but the fan made dual shock 4 driver has way better functionality than the windows xbox controller driver, so I have a bit of hope for that. :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 15, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I dunno about that, but I do know there are 3rd party softwares to get the moves working. I don't know how good it is though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lucid Dream posted:

Their API can access just about any input device in a systematic way, but not quite as abstracted as OpenVR. Also, OSVR has OpenVR drivers too now, and so do the Hydras, so you should be able to play any Vive game if you can piece together the setup. Hopefully some new third party inputs come out soon though, cause the market for Hydras is getting insane.

Truga posted:

Wasn't there also rumours that PSVR would work with PC? If that does happen, it would actually be an epic deal, if you already own a ps4 and a pc.
Unless there's some dumb authentication or something, someone is gonna hack up OpenVR drivers for that thing real quick regardless of if it has official PC support.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As far as I'm aware, OpenVR doesn't require any hacking. People have been adding support for various devices themselves without Valve. It would probably just take writing a driver for them in the first place and then adding an interface for that into OpenVR.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Unless there's some dumb authentication or something, someone is gonna hack up OpenVR drivers for that thing real quick regardless of if it has official PC support.
What's the status of using unsigned USB drivers on Win10 these days? That's the only issue I could see.

Cojawfee posted:

As far as I'm aware, OpenVR doesn't require any hacking. People have been adding support for various devices themselves without Valve. It would probably just take writing a driver for them in the first place and then adding an interface for that into OpenVR.
The need for hacking would be on the PSVR side, since Sony aren't likely to publish their USB protocols any time soon.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Unsigned drivers in Window 10 is as easy to install as it has been on Win8(.1) Just have to reboot with driver signing disabled, install said driver, and then thing should be fine on reboots after that until you have to update it again.

Running Windows 10 on a 2006 era Sony Vaio with switchable graphics, getting the latest Legacy Nvidia driver to work with that 8400GS took some fiddling, but I finally got it to take and it made that GPU so much less crappy then whatever Windows 7 era driver that was the last one ever sorta gotten to work with it. Once it was installed Windows 10 with the GS and the few games it can run work much better as does video.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Thor-Stryker posted:

I wonder what would have happened if facebook hadn't bought out Oculus: would they have been drm free? Would they have the money to pay for game exclusives? Would they even have been successful given that Valve was already secretly prototyping?

It's interesting that HTC is offering money to invest in a variety of companies that would find a use for VR while Facebook is desperately trying to lock down gaming companies to propagate their storefront.

If Facebook hadn't bought Oculus, Oculus would have stayed a pure hardware company. That's the real reason that Valve was happily sharing all its R&D with Oculus until the buyout was announced; I'm sure Valve happily works with AMD and NVIDIA on R&D, too. Facebook buying out Oculus was a sign Facebook wanted to be the Steam of VR, and it broke up the Valve/Oculus partnership for obvious reasons. So if they'd never bought it the Vive might not exist at all, or look very different (HTC claim they were working on VR before being contacted by Valve).

I'd guess that we would have gotten an Oculus CV1 a year ago, with more basic features but a lower price, and right now they'd be working on an Oculus CV2 with Valve's help with motion controls and possibly even a Lighthouse type tracking solution. Other companies would probably be announcing their own HMDs, but without Valve's support would be facing a more difficult path to commercial success.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Has anyone announced a 4k VR headset yet? I thought stuff was pretty cool, but I found text still a bit hard to read and stuff to still have a bit too much screen door effect for me. Higher resolution displays should fix my complaints.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's more a matter of: has anyone built a PC that can render 2 frames @ 1/2 of 4K at a steady 90 FPS with anything more than basic graphics?

e: vvv Yeah upon further review, pixel density is still a problem. Mea culpa.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 15, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think the screen technology is the part that isn't quite there yet. So far the screens are all essentially lifted off of phone screens, and 4k phones aren't quite a thing. I'm sure the technology is being worked on, though.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

sliderule posted:

It's more a matter of: has anyone built a PC that can render 2 frames @ 1/2 of 4K at a steady 90 FPS with anything more than basic graphics?

That's what we have things like SLI for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TheGreySpectre posted:

Has anyone announced a 4k VR headset yet? I thought stuff was pretty cool, but I found text still a bit hard to read and stuff to still have a bit too much screen door effect for me. Higher resolution displays should fix my complaints.

StarVR is 4K iirc, but it's not intended for consumer use. Just amusement parks or something.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
To play Devil's Advocate, all DRM stores are loving dumb. When Steam started off, I think you had to be online and logged in to launch games, under your own account, and couldn't share games. That was the turning point when we as gamers said "well, this kinda sucks but gently caress it, we'll lock ourselves in to this locked-down monopoly because it's not *too* bad.

Gaben stuck his cock up our collective assholes and now we're all grumpy because Palmer's asking if there's anymore room in there for him too.

Full disclosure, I'm never buying anything from the Oculus store, lol. But VR does need curation and content so I can't bash them for what they're attempting. I'm just going to let them do their walled-garden thing and then buy the games when the eventually hit a Steam Humble Bundle, like I do with all games.

Truga posted:

No, the best thing to happen to monitors is VR. 2nd best that happened is HDR. Adaptive sync is a distant 3rd. Yes, it's a neat thing, but thankfully g-sync is pretty much dead on arrival, since similar freesync screens go for up to $300 less, so nvidia will have to support it sooner or later. Not to mention it's a part of DP1.4 or somesuch. G-sync won't last. Hopefully, neither will Oculus Store.

By the time Adaptive Sync came out, neither of those other things had "happened" on a consumer level. I use FreeSync and now I have no screen tearing and no added input lag from V-Sync, that's a big loving deal for the experience.

HDR could still be a dumb gimmick for all we know, woo bright things are brighter, big whoop. Maybe it turns out to be great, but so far I'd say it's been FreeSync > Ultrawides > VR for the actual quality of life improvements I've had so far with regards to consuming games and movies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So what's the best shooting game out right now, if I had to pick one and only one to buy?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 15, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zero VGS posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, all DRM stores are loving dumb. When Steam started off, I think you had to be online and logged in to launch games, under your own account, and couldn't share games. That was the turning point when we as gamers said "well, this kinda sucks but gently caress it, we'll lock ourselves in to this locked-down monopoly because it's not *too* bad.

Gaben stuck his cock up our collective assholes and now we're all grumpy because Palmer's asking if there's anymore room in there for him too.

Full disclosure, I'm never buying anything from the Oculus store, lol. But VR does need curation and content so I can't bash them for what they're attempting. I'm just going to let them do their walled-garden thing and then buy the games when the eventually hit a Steam Humble Bundle, like I do with all games.

By the time Adaptive Sync came out, neither of those other things had "happened" on a consumer level. I use FreeSync and now I have no screen tearing and no added input lag from V-Sync, that's a big loving deal for the experience.

HDR could still be a dumb gimmick for all we know, woo bright things are brighter, big whoop. Maybe it turns out to be great, but so far I'd say it's been FreeSync > Ultrawides > VR for the actual quality of life improvements I've had so far with regards to consuming games and movies.

The difference was Gaben asked nicely, Palmer just expected we'd be dtf
I have an x34 Gsync ultrawide right in front of my face and it's rad as hell. The upside is if I go away from gsync I still have a 100hz IPS monitor so ???

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GlyphGryph posted:

So what's the best shooting game out right now, if I had to pick one and only one to buy?

The Lab's Archery game imo. Hot dogs horseshoes and hand grenades looks impressive and the dev is pumping out updates, but I've no clue as to how the gameplay is or the extent of it. I'm essentially just waiting for the sale next week before I buy anything. The packaged games and assorted demos are getting by until then. That and Pool VR.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm partial to Out of Ammo, but it's not 100% shooting. It's more "game" than the other options: a couple of zombie shooters and a gun handling simulator. Unless there's some I'm not aware of (likely).

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

KakerMix posted:

The difference was Gaben asked nicely, Palmer just expected we'd be dtf

I don't remember being asked. I just remember I had to install this new dumb thing with an ugly puke green interface to play Counter-Strike and it loaded slower when it even worked at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A new game came out called The Nest which apparently is just a straight release of a group's VR game jam entry from a few weeks ago. It's 9 dollars and apparently doesn't have much content though they intend to release at least a new map every month. I haven't had a chance to check it out because I'm currently moving and all my VR stuff is in boxes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, all DRM stores are loving dumb. When Steam started off, I think you had to be online and logged in to launch games, under your own account, and couldn't share games.
I only signed up to steam very late, when it was already very good. It took several years of laughing at idiots who didn't just pirate valve games and instead couldn't play them because steam was feeling playful all the time. Then, one day, it was good and I signed up and downloaded games, and it just worked.

Hell, I'll probably do the same for Oculus Store if it turns out good in 5 years and loses the dumb hardware exclusivity. It's because Oculus is doing dumb things now that people are yelling. I want to use their store. I want more competition. But if it treats me like a dumb, I'll call them out until they fix it or die. :v:

None of this will matter though when VVRitcher 5 releases on GOG's FreeVR :v:

Zero VGS posted:

HDR should at least do away with dumb gradient banding if nothing else. Yes, it's barely to not existent on a good monitor in most situations, but it's still there and it annoys me to hell and back. I play a lot of space games, and it can sometimes get super apparent on an "almost black but not quite" backgrounds.

Meanwhile, I don't care about *sync because tearing isn't a thing on my monitor/gpu combo for some reason, as is on a lot of others. Plus, nvidia now has that thing that doesn't add latency if you enable vsync. That said, if you do get tearing, it's absolutely poo poo (my dad's monitor tears like a loving champ, it's absolutely jarring to see) and I can see how you'd care about that a lot more then.

And so I don't only contribute non-vr poo poo to this thread for once:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4o3ipv/my_first_experience_with_vive_as_a_visually/

Posted this in the vive thread earlier, forgot to post it here. This kind of poo poo is awesome, and I hope it's researched and become a tech/therapy to help people get better vision. I never had vision issues in my 30 years and I can only imagine how much it sucks to not be able to see that well.
Also, I need to paint my walls green so I can stream myself like

Cojawfee posted:

A new game came out called The Nest which apparently is just a straight release of a group's VR game jam entry from a few weeks ago. It's 9 dollars and apparently doesn't have much content though they intend to release at least a new map every month. I haven't had a chance to check it out because I'm currently moving and all my VR stuff is in boxes.

It's a good game, but not worth 9 bux yet IMO, because there's a grand total of 2 maps that's actually 1 map with day and night variations. Is extremely my poo poo though, so I'll buy if they add more maps.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Space Pirate Trainer. It's super fun, the visuals and audio are all great, it feels super good to shoot the robots, and there's a really high skill ceiling. Easily the best one, both from a design and implementation standpoint.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Zero VGS posted:

Full disclosure, I'm never buying anything from the Oculus store, lol. But VR does need curation and content so I can't bash them for what they're attempting.

I agree 100%. Curation is the biggest way in which Valve and Steam are really, really, REALLY falling down at the moment. VR doesn't need a parade of Unity asset flips priced at $4.99.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I dunno what 3DM is, but it's steam making cracking games obsolete, not better DRM. There's just no motivation anymore. Steam is absolutely exploding in historical "pirate" countries. For example, Russia: http://steamspy.com/country/RU

Why bother cracking something if your main audience is gone?

I'm sure if there was still motivation to crack games, they'd still get cracked in days, maaaybe weeks. There's what, a dozen people working on Denuvo DRM? There's a million nerds out there who will try to crack your game if there's enough demand. Just due to the fact that every software has bugs, "working DRM" can't exist. Yeah, Denuvo is good, sure, but it's not infallible any more than any other DRM. If I buy something and can get it to run on my machine, I can dump a working unencrypted copy somewhere. We might have even come to the point where I'll need actual external hardware to do MITM between the CPU and RAM or some poo poo, sure, but there will always be a way.

I was about to write up a spergpost re this but I'll just say this is super incorrect on many levels just fyi

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I've never been a fan of DRM, but if Denuvo is as uncrackable as I've been lead to believe I truly think it is a good thing right now. VR is such a fledgling industry that every sale matters compared to PC gaming where it's a multibillion dollar industy and if 5k-20k people pirate something, yeah it sucks, but it won't sink the entire market. It's hard enough for a dev to make money in VR right now, let alone if you have 5% of people stealing it, and a lot of people would justify it by saying poo poo like "Well these games are short, I deserve and am owed longer experiences." Or, going by some comments on r/Vive, a lot of people feel justified in pirating anything that's exclusive, even if it's just a timed exclusive.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 15, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't buy games sight unseen for >$20, so oculus isn't getting my money unless there's a big sale anyway. I also don't like the look of the future of oculus home, so I'm actively avoiding buying games there as well. We'll see if my attitude holds out once the touch controllers arrive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DrBox posted:

I don't remember being asked. I just remember I had to install this new dumb thing with an ugly puke green interface to play Counter-Strike and it loaded slower when it even worked at all.

I remember WON days too but I've been using steam since it came out (I have a fancy badge on my profile and everything!) and never had an issue with it so I never understood the hate for it. Still, Steam owns and Valve has made it so to get the most money they cater to customers and I like that status quo a lot more than whatever Oculus is trying to do. Plus, no refunds w/ Oculus.

Poetic Justice posted:

I've never been a fan of DRM, but if Denuvo is as uncrackable as I've been lead to believe I truly think it is a good thing right now. VR is such a fledgling industry that every sale matters compared to PC gaming where it's a multibillion dollar industy and if 5k-20k people pirate something, yeah it sucks, but it won't sink the entire market. It's hard enough for a dev to make money in VR right now, let alone if you have 5% of people stealing it, and a lot of people would justify it by saying poo poo like "Well these games are short, I deserve and am owed longer experiences." Or, going by some comments on r/Vive, a lot of people feel justified in pirating anything that's exclusive, even if it's just a timed exclusive.

This is the part where I bring up the fact that just because someone pirates a game doesn't mean they would have bought it so just because the DRM is very good doesn't mean that it translates to more sales.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I remember WON days too but I've been using steam since it came out (I have a fancy badge on my profile and everything!) and never had an issue with it so I never understood the hate for it. Still, Steam owns and Valve has made it so to get the most money they cater to customers and I like that status quo a lot more than whatever Oculus is trying to do. Plus, no refunds w/ Oculus.

This is the part where I bring up the fact that just because someone pirates a game doesn't mean they would have bought it so just because the DRM is very good doesn't mean that it translates to more sales.

Like I said though, as far as I know Denuvo hasn't been cracked yet. And I think for normal pc games it's easy to pirate stuff that you wouldn't buy anyway because there is a lot to choose from, not so much yet with VR games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got my Vive setup and working and ok yeah this motion room scale VR thing is officially The poo poo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Poetic Justice posted:

Like I said though, as far as I know Denuvo hasn't been cracked yet. And I think for normal pc games it's easy to pirate stuff that you wouldn't buy anyway because there is a lot to choose from, not so much yet with VR games.

Man I can't be arsed to pirate games anymore, Steam and GoG is so much easier. Anecdotes of course but seriously dealing with images and poo poo? No thanks. Easier to play by the rules.
All the .nfo art and crack music is on youtube anyway.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Man I can't be arsed to pirate games anymore, Steam and GoG is so much easier. Anecdotes of course but seriously dealing with images and poo poo? No thanks. Easier to play by the rules.
All the .nfo art and crack music is on youtube anyway.
the kids pirating poo poo now don't even make sick nfo art or cracktros anymore, they've lost their way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
From what I've read, the cracking scene is dying out because all the old hats now have cushy IT jobs and there is not enough fresh blood to replace those who have left. Most of the new blood that actually is coming in, don't know near half the stuff the older crowd does.