Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...
:yotj:

Same client (who I've been very happy working for), same work, new employer, more money, slightly worse benefits, more vacation.

Can't really complain on that score at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

This is true, but beware of impostor syndrome and remember to reach when you look for new jobs.

Reading this thread gives me impostor syndrome and I've been working in IT in one form or another for over a decade. :sadpeanut:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What is imposter syndrome?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

When you convince yourself you have no idea what you're doing, even though you're doing a good job and things are running well.

Happens to everyone I think. I know there's been days when I'll spend a whole day realizing I have no idea what I'm doing, say setting up SSO or something. But then 3 days later you get told you did a great job and wow you're good at this. It always feels fake.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LochNessMonster posted:

Thinking you aren't good enough for the job you have and worried constantly that someone will find out.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mayodreams posted:

IT is an unskilled trade: this is so absurd it is essentially trolling. Yes, like others have said, there is a wide breadth of positions in the field. Some are script monkeys that don't require much skill. However, when you get to mid level administrator and higher up to a senior engineer / architect, if you don't have a wealth of skills and knowledge, you and your employer are in a world of hurt at some point in the future.
I can pretty much guarantee you that those engineers or architects do not consider what they do to be "IT work". IT is a subset of the much larger tech industry and is not as broad a field as you make it out to be.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

anthonypants posted:

I can pretty much guarantee you that those engineers or architects do not consider what they do to be "IT work". IT is a subset of the much larger tech industry and is not as broad a field as you make it out to be.

So... How would you define IT?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Antioch posted:

When you convince yourself you have no idea what you're doing, even though you're doing a good job and things are running well.

Happens to everyone I think. I know there's been days when I'll spend a whole day realizing I have no idea what I'm doing, say setting up SSO or something. But then 3 days later you get told you did a great job and wow you're good at this. It always feels fake.

GreenNight posted:

Thinking you aren't good enough for the job you have and worried constantly that someone will find out.

Ah yes, I suppose everyone runs intothat from time to time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Can 100% confirm I have had the "I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing" projects. They always turn out well, but the learning process is a stark reminder to not let yourself stagnate in the industry.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

anthonypants posted:

What is an engineer or architect doing if they're not doing IT.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

Someone architecting and building a new VDI/internal certificate authority/SAN/etc deployment is IT.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

nominal posted:

3) Cable technician. Where I would spend most of my time in people's homes, which is the worst because it means getting yelled at for the sins of my employer and belly crawling through literal poo poo because most people live like loving animals. Once I actually had a crazy lady threaten me with a tomahawk. Plus, all the domestic violence I get to see firsthand, because again, people are loving animals. I could tell stories about this job forever but really I'm just trying to forget them.

So, yeah, this job where I mostly just reset the same Problem User's passwords over and over again every day? In the air conditioned office for the company that, sure, is maybe somewhat evil and has a lot of similarities with Omni Consumer Products from Robocop, but they have great benefits and pay for a smartphone and a gym membership? I'll take it. Yeah, there's a lot of bullshit, but it's pretty insignificant compared to the bullshit I was shoveling earlier.

I worked as an independent contractor for the cable company. I'd follow cable techs for installs of wireless routers, static IP modems, and general internet troubleshooting stuff for commercial AND residential and I can 100% corroborate. It was awful and at times traumatic and just plain unhealthy and all I did was work with computers. The cable guys had it MUCH worse. Crawling through attics in FL heat, in lovely crawlspaces and dealing with horrible people. We live in a first world country and I saw some truly deplorable poo poo... Literally. Made a ton of money, but I'll never do that again.

Also: gently caress hoarders.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Can 100% confirm I have had the "I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing" projects. They always turn out well, but the learning process is a stark reminder to not let yourself stagnate in the industry.

I go through a roller coaster of being totally kickass and feeling great about things for a few days, then feeling like I'm in over my head other days.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

anthonypants posted:

I am the senior systems engineer for my company's infrastructure, which is analogous to systems architect in some places. As the senior engineer, I am doing more overarching projects like consolidating our many Active Directory forests, integrating AD authentication to various products and applications, replacing old and broken infrastructure (bind and dhcpd) with modern and redundant solutions, and driving all of our infrastructure to be more resilient.

Yes I end up doing things like standing up servers, GPO, and other admin tasks, but what I do at any level is certainly 'IT work" as it deals the core services of the company. If not 'IT work", then what is that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So is it Windows 7 or the printer manufacturers that have poo poo drivers? I guess it keeps us in work but our Xerox drivers having to be thrown out and reg entries cleared seems like a large measure to fix what should not happen. Our printers are given out via group policy along with drivers but every now and then we get a) prints with wingdings/garbage b) nothing coming out c) preferences being set to some windows default

I feel bad for the users. :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh yeah printer drivers doing weird poo poo... once in a while some users have their HP universal driver suddenly reconfigured to print a watermark across the page, reading literally "[NONE]". Which happens to be the text of the "do not print a watermark" in the watermark selection dropdown, except here it has been configured as a literal string to use. What software fucks that up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

anthonypants posted:

this is a mighty stupid hill you're digging in on

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Our technical architect considers what he does to be "IT WORK", I just asked. He designs datacenters for our clients, everything from hvac, to layout and what systems/devices they're going to use to meet their demand (and to meet 20-30% growth, perhaps more, I forget what he said before when I asked about it).

Do you know what IT stands for? let me help you with some dumb wiki stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology

if you need more info, further research can be done by clicking this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+information+technology

I'm bored and angry at the moment.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Hi guys my first week at my IT job has been going really swell! Sorry for setting off this stupid tangent.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lilli posted:

Hi guys my first week at my IT job has been going really swell! Sorry for setting off this stupid tangent.

Congrats on the new not-lovely job.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

it's overpaid and cushy? In comparison to what?

Veterinary services, firefighters, non sworn police, social workers, healthcare administrators, legal workers who are not attorneys, cab drivers, construction workers, teachers, nannies, fishermen, farmers, property managers, sales, food service. The physical demands and required experience are much lower for the same level of pay at almost any other job.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

lampey posted:

Veterinary services, firefighters, non sworn police, social workers, healthcare administrators, legal workers who are not attorneys, cab drivers, construction workers, teachers, nannies, fishermen, farmers, property managers, sales, food service. The physical demands and required experience are much lower for the same level of pay at almost any other job.

Wow. That list makes you look very unknowledgeable about quite a few disciplines.

Why do you think a systems administrator puts up with less bullshit than a cashier at McDonalds?

Veterinarians, despite going to school for anatomy, aren't like doctors. Most of them learned about canine and feline anatomy and give general advice for $200 per visit. The education level is similar to system administrators and yet they generally make a lot more. Of course, you might mean vet techs, but they go to school to get a rubber stamp from your state. A lot of them are candidates for balsa wood

Legal workers who aren't attorneys? You mean the paralegals that tend to make 50K per year to enter and 70+k per year if they show they aren't drooling morons? Or are you talking about the legal industry's 1099 indentured servants making $20 an hour? Both still do better than most help desk jobs.

Farmers? Have you seen a farm since the 1850s? It's not like cowboys on a cattle drive. For crop farming, you sit in a tractor five to ten weeks a year and then do minor repairs on watering systems (unless your farm is left to rot, and then you do major repairs on watering systems). For animal farming, you bring out feed. By hand if it's less than 100 head and by tractor, again, if it's more than 100 head and then do maintenance on the cattle and gates. It's hardly "demanding" anymore though it can get overwhelming....much like IT. (Also, note that farmers make the rough equivalent of wet dirt unless they are part of a conglomerate.) There are still a few farm types that need manual labor, but then you are talking about il/legal immigrants in this country who are paid beans. Are you trying to say that since immigrants make nothing, IT workers should make nothing?

On top of those that I know about above, you obviously don't understand the chest of knowledge that your average IT worker needs to have just to perform most IT jobs. The fact that you can see them sitting around doing nothing is because they have the knowledge set to clear emergencies before they happen or quickly when they happen. That doesn't make it cushy and it's rare to have a field where ongoing education isn't just a good thing to have, it's a foundational requirement for performing the job well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

lampey posted:

Lets compare office jobs to non-office jobs.

As far as the actual office jobs in your list, all of them can be more or less stressful than IT and can all pay/less more than IT.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
sorry that my thinking mans brain job pays more than digging ditches

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

lampey posted:

This is why I chose IT instead of those other fields, though. I like the privilege of browsing SA while I stare at my loading bars.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

go3 posted:

sorry that my thinking mans brain job pays more than digging ditches

It doesn't, though. Traditional construction workers start out at 45-50K and in high demand years can put in enough overtime to hit 80+k. The problem is that he's making assumptions for everything from "help desk bitch" to "One of the six remaining COBOL programs that are in their 90s" and then comparing an out-of-the-rear end average of "70k" to compare to a bunch of other broad spectrums of jobs, many of which he doesn't know much about beyond seeing the "salary" entry on something like glass door.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
This thread can go on some weird tangents but this is one of the strangest.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

lampey posted:

The fact that only some of these people aren't paid what they're worth doesn't make IT workers overpaid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do we derail it with recruiter chat, at-will employment misconceptions or talking about booze?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Do we derail it with recruiter chat, at-will employment misconceptions or talking about booze?

How about what Booze is most likely to keep your At Will Recruiter from Mucking with your resume and sending you to Robert-Half?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Update: Talked to CEO, he is ok with going vertical on the Ethernet jacks if we have to but it has to be a last resort.
Board layout guy can push the jacks back 4mm more, but it would be out of spec for POE.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

RFC2324 posted:

Every place I have worked has combined QA and staging. Essentially the logic is both are environments for seeing if things break while in use, so why do it twice? :v:

So in this kind of environment, size would run prod > dev > QA = staging, c/d? Trying to put it together in my head in case I need to put together a pricing estimate. I've always just dealt with what was there/what I was directed to build so far.

Usually because QA is in charge of the QA environment, IT/DevOps is in charge of the staging environment. If QA says a change needs to be made to the environment, you make it to staging, take the package/script/update from QA, apply it, test it, then do the same to prod.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arsten posted:

It doesn't, though. Traditional construction workers start out at 45-50K and in high demand years can put in enough overtime to hit 80+k. The problem is that he's making assumptions for everything from "help desk bitch" to "One of the six remaining COBOL programs that are in their 90s" and then comparing an out-of-the-rear end average of "70k" to compare to a bunch of other broad spectrums of jobs, many of which he doesn't know much about beyond seeing the "salary" entry on something like glass door.

Are you talking about NYC or Bay Area? If not, the construction worker part is laughably wrong. Maybe some of the bigger companies pay that well, but the vast majority of them don't.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Can I just say that within the context of a thread titled "working in IT", I don't know why I have to hear about construction workers or paralegals or really anyone else?

This thread is about drinking, announcing your new jobs, and occasional meltdowns.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I work at a startup again, 60 hour weeks are the norm. This one unlike rackspace actually has a poo poo ton of financial backing so I finally get that cool startup perks like free food and kegs in the office. As I left tonight people were playing beer pong.

It's also in NYC so I get to spend a couple weeks every other month in NYC being a stupid tourist.

:feelsgood:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

I work at a startup again, 60 hour weeks are the norm. This one unlike rackspace actually has a poo poo ton of financial backing so I finally get that cool startup perks like free food and kegs in the office. As I left tonight people were playing beer pong.

It's also in NYC so I get to spend a couple weeks every other month in NYC being a stupid tourist.

:feelsgood:

Food isn't a perk if you are working 60 hours a week. Actually nothing is a perk if you are working 60 hours a week. You are actually working yourself silly to make someone else a lot of money, or at least the hope of them making a lot of money.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

Food isn't a perk if you are working 60 hours a week. Actually nothing is a perk if you are working 60 hours a week. You are actually working yourself silly to make someone else a lot of money, or at least the hope of them making a lot of money.

The trick is to make sure you're getting paid in company stock so you can cash out when you hit it big.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 16, 2016

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Methanar posted:

The trick is to make sure you're getting paid in company stock so you can cash out when you hit it big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPJM57TrC2M

Rule #1: Get the money first Rule #2: Don't forget to get the money.

The thing you have to watch out for with "company stock" is that you don't get into some weird golden handcuff situation. I had a co-worker smugly tell me once I took stock options and RSUs that I couldn't go anywhere else because of all the money I'd lose. Yeah, ok guy let me base my willingness to stay at this company on that "magic money" that might or might not happen, thanks for the nice perk though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sickening posted:

Meh it's like 40 actual work and then checking slack and email occasionally. I'm never gonna kill myself again for a company. I'd list all the perks but I don't really care too. It's nice to be in funded startup land again. I cashed out very nicely last time so hopefully it works out again.

*actual work being checking on tickets escalated to me while catching up on Silicon Valley

E: the commute from my bed to desk is also pretty rough.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you talking about NYC or Bay Area? If not, the construction worker part is laughably wrong. Maybe some of the bigger companies pay that well, but the vast majority of them don't.

That's direct experience (As in, I've seen the payroll detail) with about ten different construction companies across four midwestern states.