Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Alpine Mustache posted:

You can see each row has the mini-fig positions staggered (There are only exposed studs on the black sections) so unless they have some crazy thick back piece everything should fit just fine.

I just checked and Ghostbusters w/ proton packs from the ECTO-1 set DO NOT fit.
Astronaut mini-fig from series 15 is ok though.

Ya I always staggered mine the same way, but my bookshelves had room for 4 rows so I went with that, and I didn't need to worry about weapons / shoulderpacks / medusas fitting. I posted them quite a while back, and imgur still has the renders.

Type 2:

Type 3:

I haven't gotten around to designing a new one for the last 3 series, and the next row of my bookshelf has less room, so I'll try 3 studs deep.

Ika fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

w00tazn posted:

Most reports on the 24 hours car have been negative, with what I heard included some illegal or questionable build steps. Or maybe I'm just reading into people not liking the color/aero.

Quoting a post 6 pages ago

I absolutely hated the 24 hours car. By far the worst build i have done in all my years of building Lego. It hated it so much i took a several month break from Lego after building it.

Illegal building techniques, unfun play features, flimsy and easy to break certain parts with play features in "open position".

Here is the post i made about it:

quote:

Anyone else built the 2015-release green Technic 24Hour racer yet?

By far the most unenjoyable Lego build of my life. I am only on page 100 out of 250 and already i have been through around 10 illegal assembly methods, the type where you really need to BEND away other pieces to get the current pieces in, or other assembly methods that look so out of place and simply wrong/impossible that you are left with a feeling that you built something wrong somewhere earlier down the line. One of the longer (10L) technic pins i had to bend away at a 45-60ish degree angle actually looks permanently deformed/damaged...

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 12, 2016

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I built it and am honestly curious, what were the illegal connections or place you had to bend a piece for? I didn't experience that or any of your other problems during the build. It's o e of my favorite sets and I'm now thinking about trying to figure out a way to mod an old rc car motor and battery into it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I'm looking on a website that shows the Wall of Bricks for Pick a Bricks at stores. I noticed that the parts all have 2016-05-05 under them. How often do the walls switch out? Anyone have an idea?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last I heard, they rotate about four times a year.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not altogether a bad day...

[Ed]

Not bad for my first wall-haul, I think?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 14, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh poo poo.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Wel hot drat, I thought they were skipping this year's car because of the Caterham?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Oh poo poo, that's awesome. Needs an alternate build to stick an off-road chassis underneath it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That is going to look amazing next to the Mini and the VW Bus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Million times better than the first beetle, except for the "chrome" trim on the hood. That is so hilariously bad I probably won't put it on there.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Wish I could have gotten that for my dad! It would be a perfect Father's Day gift for the guy who drive his VW beetle until the floor fell out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There any way to tell if a Wall-E set has the fix included or not? My wife fell in love as soon as she found out it existed but I don't want to buy one and then have to wait 2 months for the fix kit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There should be no un-fixed Wall-E's out there, Lego recalled them all. You'll either get a post-fix Wall-E with new instructions and the correct parts in the primary bags, or a retrofitted Wall-E that has an extra bag of parts and an instruction addendum.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What was the issue?

Fake Edit: http://brickset.com/article/16465/what-s-wrong-with-21303-wall%E2%80%A2e

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Wow. I have no interest in beetles or big lego car models but that is so cool I'll probably get it anyway. Excellent colour choice. When's the next train dammit?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of color, is that dark azure or the lighter shade?

It's always hard to tell from photos of box art.

(if it's dark azure I'm gonna jorts the poo poo out of that because it's a fabulous color shade and I don't have enough of it)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My OG Beetle will look so derpy next to the new one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
http://brickset.com/article/22070/10252-vw-beetle-press-release

The powder blue color looks great. The new Beetle looks pretty slick, and I love that they managed to fit a full sized spare in the frunk. I love all the beach accessories too.

uXs posted:

Wel hot drat, I thought they were skipping this year's car because of the Caterham?

Same, does this mean the Caterham isn't coming out until later in the year?

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 14, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Beetle designer video, it's so chunky!

https://youtu.be/o313JXCAev8

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's pretty dang small when you see it in adult hands.. which is good. Some gaps in there I'd prefer not exist but that's just the reality of working with lego at that scale.

My only big complaint is I wish they had spring for actual chrome bricks instead of that light grey.

All those new pieces in azure is badass. Can't wait to do classic space stuff with that shade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing I don't like about the beetle is the doors being made from staggered small bricks. Still an awesome set though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you look at the detail shots floating around, the small bricks are caused by creating studs for interior door panel details:

http://jaysbrickblog.com/2016/06/14/lego-10252-volkswagen-beetle-announcement-photos/

The brick gaps do look pretty ugly, but in my experience that's true with all lego. Put any SNOT build under studio lights and the gaps stand out like a sore thumb. Under more natural interior lighting you barely notice it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

NESguerilla posted:

The only thing I don't like about the beetle is the doors being made from staggered small bricks. Still an awesome set though.

It's the same as the Mini Cooper, but it didn't bother me much on that model.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's not a huge deal or anything. It just kind of sticks out.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

When's the next train dammit?!

Seriously.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

xzzy posted:

Yeah it's pretty dang small when you see it in adult hands.. which is good.
I'm guessing they intended it to be roughly in scale with the VW van.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of Creator cars. Does anyone have the mini or VW bus they would want to trade?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aren't they both still for sale? I'd guess the bus is out of production but I was still seeing it at the Lego store somewhat recently (I think, maybe I'm misremembering).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

Aren't they both still for sale? I'd guess the bus is out of production but I was still seeing it at the Lego store somewhat recently (I think, maybe I'm misremembering).

My local Lego store still has the bus.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Just watched the creator video for Big Ben. Wasn't planning on getting it but after seeing it I may change my mind.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
New Beetle is sweet. I never got the first one and somewhat regretted it once the Van came out.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

uXs posted:

Just watched the creator video for Big Ben. Wasn't planning on getting it but after seeing it I may change my mind.
Also it's currently on sale for VIP Members. Pretty cool looking set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh wow I didn't realize yellow submarine got approved. Awesome! I'm usually annoyed by licensed ideas stuff but that is just too cool.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Stumbled across this on imgur and I don't think I've seen any pictures of it in the thread yet:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I promised myself I'd wait until I finished the home office project I've been working on, but now that I have some display space I built some multi-tiered risers for my minifigs:

I don't have a lot of extra pieces because I basically only have minifigs and Mixels, so underneath is a quick and dirty job involving spare risers and cmf plates:

I should really buy myself one of the lego classic tubs of random bricks so I can do a better job of this.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Knormal posted:

I'm guessing they intended it to be roughly in scale with the VW van.

Quick calculation based on the lengths listed on the boxes for both cars and the 1/24 scale models I have of both show they're both in about 1/14 scale with the Beetle being in a slightly bigger scale, so this is pretty likely.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poo poo it looks like the Van is going out of production. I better grab it. Probably won't ever be too pricey though because it's been in production for what, 6 or 7 years probably?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

NESguerilla posted:

poo poo it looks like the Van is going out of production. I better grab it. Probably won't ever be too pricey though because it's been in production for what, 6 or 7 years probably?

I think it came out in 11. Absolutely amazing set though, one of my all time favorite sets. It's a great display piece too, when people visit they always take a look at it and open it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ordered the VW Bus the other day myself. I don't think it looks as nice as the Mini or F40 but I imagine it'll be a lot of fun to build.

I wish I ordered it early in the week so I'd have it for the weekend, for awhile it was listing the estimated delivery date as tomorrow, but the tracker is now saying 1-11 days. :(