Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Titans was good if you can get over Booth Art. Kind of what you'd expect out of basically a reunion special but there was some new stuff in there that's interesting.

Batman is 0 for 2 for me right now. Kinda disappointed on that one. The whole "WOULD MOM AND DAD BE PROUD HOW I DIE" thing was a bit thick for me.

I overall dug Batman but yeah that was pretty cringe worthy.

I really want to like Superman but jeez. Having a superpowered kid accidentally murder his own pet is not really the kind of hopeful optimism I was led to believe Rebirth was bringing to the company.

Also Tomasi & Gleason are now 2 for 2 for comics starring little kids having them kill an animal in the first issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Did someone in the Finger family finally sue for rights to Batman back? Because this is the first time I've ever seen "Batman created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger in a Bat-book.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Chris, much like Bart, are basically muscled out of their place in the universe for happenstance reasons.

I think Val-Zod, the black Superman in Earth 2, is supposed to be kind of an homage to a grown up version of Chris but who the gently caress wants to read Earth 2.

Me. Well at least when James Robinson was writing it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I was into Green Lanterns... what was bad about it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Did someone in the Finger family finally sue for rights to Batman back? Because this is the first time I've ever seen "Batman created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger in a Bat-book.
Yeah, DC and the Finger estate came to an agreement last year:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-will-finally-credit-bill-finger-as-co-creator-of-bat-1731947676

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"Try to objectify me and you'll bleed. Because I'm a WEAPON." is the worst comic book line of dialog I've experienced in recent memory.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Space Fish posted:

I was into Green Lanterns... what was bad about it?

Yeah same here. It wasn't an instant classic or anything but it was far from bad, especially for a first issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought GLs was a triple threat of lame dialogue, art and plot. Eathlings getting infected with rage is exactly how Red Lanterns ended.
I suppose it's yet to be seen why the ring decided to give Baz 'emerald sight', but ughh.
Also,

I can't get behind that pun.

Toxxupation posted:

Just checked. It started around Batman #46.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 15, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rebirth thoughts this week:

Green Lanterns wasn't great but it wasn't the worst thing ever and far better then Rebirth 1, aka "Simon and Jessica whine about how superfluous they are". I still think Simon's GL costume is really goofy and dumb and there's still some jank-rear end dialog but it wasn't horrible. On the other hand I feel no real compulsion to keep reading because it's so mediocre.

Batman was fine. I really enjoyed it actually, and I really loved the "Would my parents be proud of me" scene.

Green Arrow, outside of the aforementioned worst line of comic book dialog in recent memory, was actually pretty good with a pretty compelling ending.

Superman was loving fantastic. It was basically the exact opposite of Action Comics in terms of quality, which was so refreshing especially when Action was so loving terrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope its Clark giving Jon Krypto

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I have a feeling Green Arrow is going to constantly kick readers in the head with the "look how up to date and progressively topical we are" stuff. Ollie referring to himself as a social justice warrior, the objectification line, etc. I'm sure someone will reference mansplaining next issue.

E: also yeah I hope they do some explaining about how Atrocitus (and Dex-starr) has a ring again, why Bleez is with him again, etc. They sort of left that hanging at the end of RL, along with why everyone Guy de-reddened didn't die.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 15, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JoshTheStampede posted:

I have a feeling Green Arrow is going to constantly kick readers in the head with the "look how up to date and progressively topical we are" stuff. Ollie referring to himself as a social justice warrior, the objectification line, etc. I'm sure someone will reference mansplaining next issue.

Good

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JoshTheStampede posted:

So it will be a green arrow title?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

I'm glad a comic is willing to tackle stuff like that, but it can be done less ham-fistedly. Like the SJ-W line in Rebirth just came across as "here's a word I heard". It didn't seem genuinely concerned with things so much as concerned with ticking the right vocabulary boxes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He should team up with new heroes Tweeter and The Tumbler.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's really not, especially when the comic actually makes a nuanced or fair point within the same issue. Like the social justice warrior and objectification lines are glorified quips, while Ollie explaining that he pays off the cops and especially the dock worker for information is a far more reasoned point on how most crime is enabled a result of a combination of desperation and necessity over "Wow let's be evil as poo poo."

The quips and one-liners like "social justice warrior" are tumblr progressivism at its most base and the stuff Ollie actually does to combat crime in the issue are actual progressive tactics that could help solve an issue over making Woke Twitter feel good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, exactly. I thought the dialogue was at about that level of faux-hip. "This is how the kids talk these days right?"

I'm torn though because the GA art is really great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And either way,

Toxxupation posted:

"Try to objectify me and you'll bleed. Because I'm a WEAPON."

is a horribly horrible horrible-rear end horrible line of dialog.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

"Social Justice Warrior" would be a legit awesome superhero; I would buy all her books

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I enjoyed him calling himself a Social Justice Warrior because it would make dickheads angry.
I think that was much more the point than seeming hip or relevant, cause just about the only people who use that term use it to denigrate others.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Ollie Queen is the exact kind of person who would refer to himself as a social justice warrior without even a hint of irony, are you guys loving with me right now?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just because there are kids on websites you don't like saying things doesn't mean you can just dismiss them as buzzwords or something, like sure that weapon line is pretty bad, but if any comic book is going to address this new generation of progressives Green Arrow would be the best one for the task.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

E: also yeah I hope they do some explaining about how Atrocitus (and Dex-starr) has a ring again, why Bleez is with him again, etc. They sort of left that hanging at the end of RL, along with why everyone Guy de-reddened didn't die.

*Unsolicited opinions on Orlando?*

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Travis343 posted:

Just because there are kids on websites you don't like saying things doesn't mean you can just dismiss them as buzzwords or something, like sure that weapon line is pretty bad, but if any comic book is going to address this new generation of progressives Green Arrow would be the best one for the task.

That's my point, to me it felt like buzzwords and it shouldn't. Maybe it was just two clunky lines and it'll be great from now on, I hope so.

E: God the more that weapon line echoes in my head the worse it gets. Weapons ARE objects! Gah!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I enjoyed the heck out of Green Arrow, the art is just wonderful and the plot is moving along quickly. Superman was fantastic despite child trauma. Batman would have been far better with less Finch and Titans had Wally so I can't help but enjoy it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You'd think they'd at least give them an 'and'.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I thought the big issue was Bob Kane being the biggest prick in the known universe and forcing Finger and whoever the co-writer was who created a bunch of other Batman elements into signing a contract naming Kane the sole creator of Batman in perpetuity, not that DC was against crediting Bill.

God, gently caress Bob Kane.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

I thought the big issue was Bob Kane being the biggest prick in the known universe and forcing Finger and whoever the co-writer was who created a bunch of other Batman elements into signing a contract naming Kane the sole creator of Batman in perpetuity, not that DC was against crediting Bill.

God, gently caress Bob Kane.

It's part of the terms of sale or w/e for DC owning Batman. Bob Kane has to be the sole creator of the character, as far as DC ever acknowledges. Various people at the company have tried for decades to find a way to recognize Finger, entirely out of basic human decency. It looks like they finally found a way that keeps their lawyers and the Kane estate happy. I, for one, am glad of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lest we forget the achievements of Bob Kane

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

:barf:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought Green Lanterns was pretty enjoyable. I liked the rookie cops, learning the ropes dynamic.

Batman was cool too. It was nice to just see him be a straight up, no-frills no-bullshit superhero.

I find myself surprisingly ambivalent about Superman. Nothing wrong about it, but outside of the great art I wasn't, like, all that interested in the proceedings.

Titans existed, I suppose. Also surprisingly, I thought Booth's art wasn't that bad and was more expressive than expected, though I don't think I'll ever really enjoy his anatomy and proportions. They're not Liefeldian, but they're...something.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I really liked Batman, I thought it was a good first issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Probably the most pissed on gravestone in history.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
It was a good week for DC comics!

Superman #1 was an amazing read and the art was fantastic. The issue being from Johnathan's prospective was cool. Him killing the cat in an emotional outburst was sad and was handle well in two ways. One showing that Clark is right about needing to learn to control himself and two how Johnathan hid it from his parents because he was ashamed and scared. This was handle well too with the young girl coming over and how Gleason drew Johnathan's reaction to the situation. It could be interrupted as shyness like Lois and Clark see or dread by the reader because we share the secret. The ending was great too. The shadowy cabal and the scary man by way of Johnathan's interruptions of events. Were those whispers about him?

Titans: Rebirth was a great read, but the art was a bit iffy. Everyone's legs looks weird. The story was great though and you could feel some sadness and relief as the issue went. It is interesting to find out that Wally just needs to keep touching everybody to get them to remember, but that Wally doesn't remember everything. There maybe more problems than we know.

Green Lantern #1 was ok and the art was not great. The story would have been better if not for the stupidity of Baz's new power and another lantern corps being the main enemy. again. Plus both of these GLs are insufferable to read. Where they like this in the Nu52? Also why are we starting with mass murder? Does every GL story need to start with mass murder?

Batman #1 was a great filler issue, but a terrible first issue. The art was good in it. The story was good, but very fluffy and felt like nothing happened at all. It would have worked better as a filler issue between arcs, but as issue #1 it didn't grab my attention. The lines Batman says when he was going down were a bit cheesy too.Plus more supermans wheeee. Although who was the mystery man on the roof? Oh and that new not Robin showed up in a panel only to be replaced by Alfred a page later.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I already think Lark just ain't gonna work.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I do hope Duke does more than just sit in the batcave and do Bruce's math homework next issue. It didn't really feel like a #1 issue but I didn't really want another #1 issue, honestly. So many of these Rebirth books have been people sitting around talking for 20 pages so it was pretty entertaining to see Batman thrown into a pure action scenario like that.

I kind of enjoyed Titans even though I don't really know who most of these characters are or anything about their history.

The ending to Superman #1 was great. Jonathan's fear and guilt over what he'd done made everything way more sinister than it probably will turn out to be. Well written kids in comic books are rare but that was a solid relatable scene. I feel like Clark has to know what happened, having super hearing and telescopic x-ray vision. I think he's letting John keep his secret so John can process it on his own.

I'm excited to see where it goes but I still wish they hadn't killed the cat. I'm such a huge baby where animals are concerned.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Where they like this in the Nu52?

When Charles Soule took Red Lanterns over at #21 it became one of the best comics DC put out.
Guy Gardner grew a handlebar mustache and led it like a biker gang. Highly recommended.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

So Bob Kane was taking credit for God's work and Bill Finger's?

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

JoshTheStampede posted:

Some of this was in Sinestro/Lobo but it was dumb. It wasn't even very satisfying then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I'm excited to see where it goes but I still wish they hadn't killed the cat. I'm such a huge baby where animals are concerned.

I'm fine with the cat being killed. I however am not fine that they felt the need to show the cat's laser blasted corpse :catstare: