Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

This is my first playthrough you jackasses, it was complex enough when things went according to history!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Its pretty great that even with historic focuses on poo poo still gets wierd, hence why my france is fighting the Germany/USSR super group.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Verviticus posted:

a more interesting ace system would be nice. as it is its a temporary random bonus with a thing you need to click away and then the ace gets killed

in my battle for air superiority in like 1947 vs the Free American Empire we both fielded something like 4000 fighters - the game at max speed was moving at an insane pace (it took like 20 seconds per in game hour) for a few days, and i was getting multiple ace popups per 'turn', usually a guy was promoted, then an hour later was shot down by an american ace, and then an hour after that he was in turn shot down by The Next Red Baron who was shot down by Iceman who in turn was ambushed by The Blond Knight and so forth

i cant really understand why anyone would pick the ace generation bonus in the air doctrine tree. ooh, 25% more of 5% agility bonuses or 15% air superiority mission efficiency. hmmmmmmm

Ace bonuses are inversely proportional to how many planes are in their air wing.

So if you're smart, you'll put them on your aircraft carriers and let them win naval battles for you, where air wings are small and bonuses are huge.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

Really wish there was just a "Disband Division" button somewhere.

There is:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Vengarr posted:

Ace bonuses are inversely proportional to how many planes are in their air wing.

So if you're smart, you'll put them on your aircraft carriers and let them win naval battles for you, where air wings are small and bonuses are huge.

The bonuses are applied to the entire group, and they appear to be inversely proportional to the size of the group, so it shouldn't matter what the size is, since a 10% bonus applied to 10 planes should be as good as a 1% bonus applied to 100

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

For battle plans in land invasions, is there some kind of prep time involved? Sometimes my guys get to the front and roll in/attack.

Other times it feels like they just stand at the front and never proceed down the offensive line.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Sylink posted:

For battle plans in land invasions, is there some kind of prep time involved? Sometimes my guys get to the front and roll in/attack.

Other times it feels like they just stand at the front and never proceed down the offensive line.

the AI will wait for an opportunity it thinks it can win before going ahead with the battle plan, most of the time. So if your organization is low, it won't bother attacking. Also, make sure that you actually hit the Start command, that's bitten me a few times

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Is there a way to sort by division type inside of an army? I know you can do it with overall total forces tab, but I can't seem to find a way to say, pick out all the armor divisions from a specific army.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Is there a way to disband old rear end interwar biplanes, as Italy I still have 300 of them, because if I put them in an airbase somewhere then they get automatically replaces by real fighters, and if I don't then I get told I should put them in an airfield somewhere by an alert.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Sylink posted:

- As mentioned, the AI is reluctant to advance when low on org, which happens a lot when going through lovely infrastructure, rough terrain or low on supply.
- It could be that your troups are spread too thin, the AI seems more eager to advance when it can stack a few divisions in a border line province. Shorten your borders.
- When the plan is active, it sometimes helps to turn it off and on again :v:

I have not verified this, but I was also under the impression that advancing was faster when chaining advance orders, rather than having that single advance that crosses half of africa.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

MC2552John posted:

Is there a way to disband old rear end interwar biplanes, as Italy I still have 300 of them, because if I put them in an airbase somewhere then they get automatically replaces by real fighters, and if I don't then I get told I should put them in an airfield somewhere by an alert.

Lend-lease them to your friends :v:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The idea of making width 10 units appeals to me, since I like letting the AI manage fronts, and more units seems like an easy way of getting the AI to distribute its attacks more evenly across the front, capitalizing on soft attack superiority. The issue seems to be supply cap - is it determined by the number of divisions, or the actual makeup of the divisions/supply usage? Because if supply caps are determined by divisions I'd lean more towards width 40 instead of 10.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tindahbawx posted:

Look at this post on the Paradox forums about how the AI just makes terrible, terrible decisions:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-japan-suffers-some-ai-observations.948356/

I feel like SA is the only objective community. We recognize the game has some faults and some things we'd suggest doing a little differently, but we're not losing our minds over PREORDER CANCELING BROKEN GAME BUGS. I attempted to wade into the reddit circlejerk today on just this and it went over about as well as you'd expect:

Some reddit dude posted:

It's called, people having a different opinion than you, nothing baffling about it. What is baffling however, is that you are under the impression that people aren't allowed to criticise games they have problems with.

Because, yes, that's what I said. I, the one guy saying "the game's not that bad guys" is the one who is forcing my opinion down other people's throats and saying they aren't allowed to disagree.

Yeah, okay.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:shrug: The AI isn't perfect but the game is still a ton of fun. Nothing about the AI strikes me as fundamentally broken, but instead just values that need to be tweaked (e.g. not researching armor or being kinda trigger happy on naval invasions). Post-release tweaking is absolutely standard for Paradox games and overall this is an incredibly polished launch.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My only real complaint is that my planned offensives don't concentrate my tanks to make a break through, instead have 2 support an infantry attack while 13 armor divisions chill on the other end of the line

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The AI is actually hot garbage even by Paradox's fairly low standards, and just because Paradox has a history of releasing busted games and fixing them afterwards in no way excuses the fact that they continue to rush games out of the door. This isn't a plucky little developer anymore, this is a pretty significant game studio that can and should be doing better than this.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Bold Robot posted:

:shrug: The AI isn't perfect but the game is still a ton of fun. Nothing about the AI strikes me as fundamentally broken, but instead just values that need to be tweaked (e.g. not researching armor or being kinda trigger happy on naval invasions). Post-release tweaking is absolutely standard for Paradox games and overall this is an incredibly polished launch.

No doubt the game is tons of fun, but the AI does need some more work beyond tweaking priorities. The frontline system is a good start, but the AI gets really boneheaded about planning offensives and such.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah I think the game is pretty great so far, there are some things that can be changed/fixed rather quickly that would make the game be a 9/10 from a 8/10 for me though:

1. Peace conferences - These are broken as hell right now, alot has been said about them and some ideas have been thrown around, they need to be fixed to not only be more realistic but more enjoyable for players, the AI is simply too greedy and points calculation is way off right now.

2. Military Access given when you have a common enemy - I DEFINITELY agree that there are cases where this is actually incredibly useful, but there are as many cases where it is incredibly detrimental for your game like when the Soviet Union start garrisoning Manchukuo when you're preparing to invade Siberia just because you're both fighting the Allies together.

3. Saharan Desert - I really love the mod No Man's Land which makes most of the Saharan Desert as well as the desert part of Saudi Arabia inaccessible, while not a perfect solution, this creates a historically accurate and welcome change to the strategic landscape: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699397350&searchtext= Its not that realistic to have to have multiple divisions duking it out in the Saharan Desert or risk getting outflanked when Panzers start appearing from there. This makes El Alamein an strategic choke-point like it is in real life, turning it into the gateway from North Africa to the rest of Egypt and East Africa.

Other than that, not a major issue for me but I'd love it if they actually merged some of the air-zones, I love airzones that cover large swathes of land like the Australian airzone but some airzones like the airzones over the UK are just fragmented for seemingly no reason.

Neobdragon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 15, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So what's the best way of drawing lines of offensive lines? I had a front line on the border with Estonia as USSR, I drew a line along the Estonian coast at the opposite side of their country and once my troops got there they kinda just decided to ignore and not finish off the pockets they left behind.

Agean90 posted:

My only real complaint is that my planned offensives don't concentrate my tanks to make a break through, instead have 2 support an infantry attack while 13 armor divisions chill on the other end of the line

I think what needs doing is concentrating tanks and motorized divisions into a Shock Army dealio on a very narrow front.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GreyPowerVan posted:

Heavy tanks and tank destroyers are likely useless in single player.
Oh, I massively disagree! A single heavy tank can give a division otherwise full of infantry impenetrability in combat, thanks to its armor.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
You're never going to get a "good" AI in a game like this, because if it isn't intentionally hobbled in some way you'll end up with insane scenarios like Ireland invading Denmark, or the AI just going completely wild with civil wars.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ExtraNoise posted:

I feel like SA is the only objective community. We recognize the game has some faults and some things we'd suggest doing a little differently, but we're not losing our minds over PREORDER CANCELING BROKEN GAME BUGS. I attempted to wade into the reddit circlejerk today on just this and it went over about as well as you'd expect:

I infrequently post in a wargames forum and one guy was incessantly raging about what a major flaw is how you can't asume military control of your allies divisions when they are assigned to your battle plans. So yeah, there's all kind of strange opinions around the web.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Raenir Salazar posted:

So what's the best way of drawing lines of offensive lines? I had a front line on the border with Estonia as USSR, I drew a line along the Estonian coast at the opposite side of their country and once my troops got there they kinda just decided to ignore and not finish off the pockets they left behind.

This just kind of happens when you use the battle planner. You can draw new offensive arrows into the pockets and assign some of the divisions to them, or what I tended to do was just grab some of my motorized units and deal with the pockets myself.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think what needs doing is concentrating tanks and motorized divisions into a Shock Army dealio on a very narrow front.

The pocket thing is just an issue with the battle plan AI right now, if your troops create a pocket, its considered a new front-line and the troops assigned to the new front line will be detached from the battle-line you drew. Also the battle-plan will modify itself to not include crushing the pocket, I guess this is either a bug or you're meant to deal with the pocket yourself by drawing new lines or manually controlling.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
So the USA is all tied up in Europe but pulled the allies into a war with my faction (Fascist Peru/Argentina/Venezuela/El Salvador with control of all of SA except Brazil and all of Central America) when honoring a guarantee. So far we're doing just fine since the USA doesn't want to send any of its 800 divisions here I guess, the only landings have been from UK troops and they've been swatted back easily.

The problem is I really don't want to declare war on Mexico to invade the mainland US as we only have about 120 divisions combined so it would take forever, and it is impossible to get naval superiority from the USA for an invasion - I'm -50 Steel in deficit so can't make any ships and it would take too long anyway.

Should I make 50000 paratroopers and pray that some base in central america has range on somewhere in the USA (seems unlikely)? Maybe try to take Cuba with paratroopers and go from there (do you need air superiority for this)? No idea where to go from here.

The Axis is doing quite well in Europe so we have plenty of time.

If staging a coup made the new country actually able to join my faction, this would all be easy since I'd just take Mexico that way. Except they refuse to join my faction due to the -50 civil war penalty and just get swatted like a fly. What's the point? Even with 70% fascist support they start with 6 loving divisions.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 15, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

paint dry posted:

You're never going to get a "good" AI in a game like this, because if it isn't intentionally hobbled in some way you'll end up with insane scenarios like Ireland invading Denmark, or the AI just going completely wild with civil wars.

Yeah, HOI4 is super, super complicated and making an ai that plays it competently is an insane task.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Paratroops don't require the same sort of prep shenanigans naval invasions do, the trade off is that the US will likely shoot down a good portion of your troops before they land.

Cuba can probably reach Florida at least, but by far the most breakable US line is the Southern US/Mexico border in my experience.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

paint dry posted:

You're never going to get a truly competitive AI, but there's a huge gulf between a minmaxed AI script that runs wild and what we have right now. The player is going to invariably run away with the game in most Paradox games, but a "good" AI at least presents the illusion of competitiveness. There's just not a lot of fun to be had in playing Italy and watching Britain spend the entire war suiciding their poorly designed troops into your coastal defenses while leaving Africa virtually undefended.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

paint dry posted:

There's "the AI is bad as in it doesn't play completely optimally" and then there's "the AI is bad as in it commits ritual suicide with its entire military and is still rolling around with interwar tanks in the 1950's"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

paint dry posted:

That kinda depends on what you set as the AI's goals, doesn't it? A "Status-quo AI" would be very different from a "Conqueror AI", even if both had near-human strategic sense. Or not, as the case may be.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Has Paradox AI development moved beyond spaghetti code of if-else trees? I remember in Hoi2 when I was modding it the code was kinda just a massive if tree of "Is it 1936? Is it 1937? Are we at war with the US? Have we taken 80% of our phase 1 war goals?" Etc etc.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

For those watching the hoi 4 multiplier stream from paradox. Is Arumba really this much of a prick?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has Paradox AI development moved beyond spaghetti code of if-else trees? I remember in Hoi2 when I was modding it the code was kinda just a massive if tree of "Is it 1936? Is it 1937? Are we at war with the US? Have we taken 80% of our phase 1 war goals?" Etc etc.

I hope at least they're using multi-layer neural nets that they've trained on millions of games played against other AIs...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

alcaras posted:

I hope at least they're using multi-layer neural nets that they've trained on millions of games played against other AIs...

You jest of course but I would love to see NN's expanding their scope to go beyond chess/go.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Nitrousoxide posted:

For those watching the hoi 4 multiplier stream from paradox. Is Arumba really this much of a prick?

Arumba is an idiot rear end in a top hat

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

slavatuvs posted:

Arumba is an idiot rear end in a top hat

But I like his voice and the one time I saw his face I thought he had pretty eyes :unsmith:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

He's a bit of a whiny little bitch isn't he? Especially when doing something wrong, not realizing it, and then blaming the game.

....and now he's just resorted to insulting one of the other players.

Frog Assassin posted:

But I like his voice and the one time I saw his face I thought he had pretty eyes :unsmith:

:confused:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 15, 2016

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
So I maybe encountered a strange bug (or really just very unusual AI activity). Not sure if anyone else has brought this up yet.

As Germany, I failed to get the fascists to have enough political support in the USA before the November 1940 elections so once I noticed that that failed, I started funding a coup, based out of New York. In this game I was very eager to knock the UK out of the war and I pretty much wrecked their navy, air force, etc. (and the stupid AI suicided most of its units into naval invasions, so the home isles were virtually undefended).

However, the USA joined the war, wrestled air superiority from me, and their navy caught my naval invasion force in the channel (rip those guys). Here's where things go a little weird though: a couple of weeks later, my coup kicks off, with the Free American Empire getting New York, New Jersey, and most of the Midwest. What followed was the USA pretty much just surrounding them, creating a continuous front and doing...nothing. For about three months, despite an easy 10:1 superiority in numbers. But the way that this whole coup thing really benefited me was the US Navy withdrew to port, letting allowing me to actually land in the UK.

To test my theory that the US Navy was pretty much out of the game, I sent a single division across the Atlantic on a suicide mission to help the three FAE divisions in NYC. My ship got there unopposed (even passed some Italians doing the same thing). Furthermore, the US AI would not stop attacking NYC with the same units and as a result it seemed like they always had zero org. Regarding the navy, I was thinking that maybe the AI didn't wish to engage the FAE navy (because it was a whopping 78 ships, of which 6 were battleships), nor did the FAE navy wish to engage the US Navy as the engagement would probably have crippled both. At my current point in the game, almost 16 months have passed since American Civil War II started and New York City is still holding out as it is being attacked by the same 7 or so units. Does the US AI drop everything it is doing to focus on the continental United States having territory that is occupied by hostile forces?

I legitimately should have lost the war given the situation I was in during late 1941 / early 1942 but due to the AI being dumb I'll never fight to the death in Berlin now :sigh: Guess I'll conquer the world without a meaningful challenge.

Another thing I have noticed are weird AI wardecs and alliance decisions. Hungary invaded Romania causing Romania to join the Allies (and thus depriving me of getting to have their army / full oil potential), Sweden joined the Allies days after I completed the Befriend Sweden focus, and Nationalist Spain fabricated claims and declared war on Norway. The Hungary / Romania thing I can kind of understand because of Transylvania and the Vienna Awards, but the stuff involving Scandinavia was just weird. This is just a big headache for me because I don't want to occupy / garrison territory but would prefer to create puppet governments instead, but I guess we'll get that in a patch.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's totally different now. Now it includes "Is it before 1936?" as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Frog Assassin posted:

You know you're on SA when people actually enjoy insufferable spergs.