Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Montasque posted:

I wonder what Cruz would do here, I suspect a lot of his delegates would want to push him forward but the reading I am getting is he wants nothing to do with this cycle anymore.

Yeah, Cruz seems like he's read the situation as its best for him to just go into hiding until the die is cast and then be able to just be a smug rear end about however it plays out. Sticking his neck out to try and steal the nom is just a no-win play. Either it fails and he's the enemy of all the crazies and a national joke or it succeeds and he gets destroyed, also ending up the enemy of the crazies and a national joke.

Ted has to just avoid saying anything publicly for 5 months and then start his 2018/2020 campaign on "I told you so/true conservative".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
GOP actually had a really good shot of winning this election against Clinton with a fairly generic candidate. People loving hate Hillary Clinton.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Joementum posted:

We have to ban ideas until we figure out what's going on.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/743131556772974592

Panic bells, it's red alert
There's something here from somewhere else

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

blue squares posted:

You're reading it wrong. No, not people who have been arrested. People who are under investigation.

If they try to buy a gun and are on a watchlist, the sale is delayed and the feds must engage in an investigation and either charge or remove from the watchlist. If they press charges then you're presumably not allowed to purchase firearms anyway. If they don't have enough evidence - and they almost certainly don't, simply because you probably wouldn't just be on a watchlist if they did - then you get to buy your firearm AND you get removed from the terror watchlist. I get that their proposal is technically "you can't buy a firearm if you're on a watchlist", and as soon as you try you're under investigation, but the proposal makes purchasing a firearm a way to force the feds' hand at a time of your choosing. Ultimately, the only people who are actually prohibited from purchasing firearms are those who would have been prohibited anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mass shootings are so not American.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Goetta posted:

GOP actually had a really good shot of winning this election against Clinton with a fairly generic candidate. People loving hate Hillary Clinton.

There are no generic Republicans. It's a fiction. A product mascot that people expect to come to life like they're in a cereal commercial.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Macro and Jeb are pretty generic Republicans

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

For some reason, you made me remember when Cruz ate his own booger at a debate:
http://i.imgur.com/VrMSoin.webm

My god, with the top of head cut off by the frame he looks like some kind of unholy combination of the Frankenstein Monster and Grampa from the Munster's.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

So the no fly list gun ban still fails to do anything at gun shows, right?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bar Crow posted:

There are no generic Republicans. It's a fiction. A product mascot that people expect to come to life like they're in a cereal commercial.

There's no generic Republicans?

Can you please explain Mitt Romney, John McCain and Bob Dole for me, then?

Seriously though the GOP's presidential prospects have been startlingly generic for years. Dubya stood out, Reagan stood out, Nixon stood out, and then there's just ??? for the rest of the century

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While people possessing at least tattered vestiges of sanity and shame are running from Trump as fast as they can, do not forget he's still got the screaming crazies solidly lined up behind him. Dumping him at the convention is the quickest thing I can think of that would lead to Chicago 1968-style chaos, only probably more heavily armed this time.

Is there a (nonzero) level to which his support could fall that would actually make ratfuck better than notratfuck?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Turned on Rush:

Caller: Rush, I'm annoyed that Hillary said "we can't build a wall around the internet." We don't want to stop the internet.

Rush: Well its just them trying to pretend these people are radicalized over the internet. They're not. They seek it out and they're radicalized by their imams and communities at home.

Caller: Right. I just got annoyed that she said we want to shut down the internet.

Rush: And you know who does want to shut down the internet? Hillary and Obama. Net neutrality. They want to control the internet like they want to control everything. That's what liberals do.

Caller: Right.

Ummm... ignoring all the insane stupidity... didn't this start because TRUMP wants to put some kind of unclear controls on the internet? And it ends with Rush and the caller mad at Hillary and Obama for doing what Trump wants to do?

Montasque, I don't know how listening to this stuff doesn't rot your brain.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KilloughCNN/status/743136740823695360

The power, the devastation is so important to me. But our nukes are so old, so tired. Weak!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheTatteredKing posted:

So the no fly list gun ban still fails to do anything at gun shows, right?

Yeah, of course, there's no way the NRA will agree to regulate gun shows or private gun sales.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/trump-at-a-crossroads/486743/

This is a very accurate way to describe the 2016 GOP nomination process...

quote:

Will Ritter, who directed logistics for Romney’s 2012 campaign, was there, watching the proceedings with resignation. An ardent Trump opponent whose Virginia-based consulting firm worked on behalf of Marco Rubio in the primary, Ritter had long ago concluded that there was nothing to be done.

He had, he told me, come up with a metaphor to describe the presidential campaign. “There’s a road trip you take every summer with your four buddies,” he told me. “But this year, as you were backing out of the driveway, you get T-boned, and the car is totaled.” Some of the travelers get up and walk back into the house, realizing the trip is over. But others insist on staying in the car and pretending nothing has gone wrong.

Edit: another thing I've been noticing as well...

quote:

The core narrative of Trump’s speeches continues to be the story of his march to victory in the primaries. The way he came down the escalator a year ago, the way he proved the pundits wrong, the way he almost won Iowa and triumphed in New Hampshire and barreled through the rest of the states, even though the establishment tried to rig the system against him.

He's definitely making a mental retreat back to the primaries as he starts realizing the rest of the world doesn't read loving Breitbart everyday.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 15, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Our nukes: old and busted
Their nukes: new hotness

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Kasich probably would have beat Hillary imo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Perfectly Safe posted:

If they try to buy a gun and are on a watchlist, the sale is delayed and the feds must engage in an investigation and either charge or remove from the watchlist. If they press charges then you're presumably not allowed to purchase firearms anyway. If they don't have enough evidence - and they almost certainly don't, simply because you probably wouldn't just be on a watchlist if they did - then you get to buy your firearm AND you get removed from the terror watchlist. I get that their proposal is technically "you can't buy a firearm if you're on a watchlist", and as soon as you try you're under investigation, but the proposal makes purchasing a firearm a way to force the feds' hand at a time of your choosing. Ultimately, the only people who are actually prohibited from purchasing firearms are those who would have been prohibited anyway.

You have a right to a speedy trial, not a speedy investigation before charges are even made. The feds could draw out the process by months or years, especially since "Can this guy buy a gun?" is legit a lower priority than most of their other investigative work. Double-especially if the criteria for being firearms watchlisted is loosened enough that a meaningful fraction of purchases require FBI clearance, thereby creating a backlog to work through.

At the extreme, they could use broad watchlisting parameters to slow the tempo of civilian firearms purchases enough that it drives some dealers out of business, which is a soft win for gun control.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The power, the devastation is so important to me. But our nukes are so old, so tired. Weak!

You know, the freakiest thing to me about Trump is the weird kindergarten teacher vocabulary.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Jewel Repetition posted:

good ol 2 meals 1 state kasich

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

I think Rubio and Kasich probably win and the rest lose

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Turned on Rush:

Caller: Rush, I'm annoyed that Hillary said "we can't build a wall around the internet." We don't want to stop the internet.

Rush: Well its just them trying to pretend these people are radicalized over the internet. They're not. They seek it out and they're radicalized by their imams and communities at home.

Caller: Right. I just got annoyed that she said we want to shut down the internet.

Rush: And you know who does want to shut down the internet? Hillary and Obama. Net neutrality. They want to control the internet like they want to control everything. That's what liberals do.

Ummm... ignoring all the insane stupidity... didn't this start because TRUMP wants to put some kind of unclear controls on the internet? And it ends with Rush and the caller mad at Hillary and Obama for doing what Trump wants to do?

Man it's been so long since I've heard from someone who was actually anti-net-neutrality I kind of forgot they existed.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Turned on Rush:

The shooter's Imam was pro-Trump as well

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Isn't he technically correct on this point? Last time I checked we haven't really been pushing new development on warhead deployment methods while Russia has for a while.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jewel Repetition posted:

He would have been a challenge, at the very least. His opinions are as toxic as any other Republican but he comes off as a reasonable and moderate guy and a lot more likable than Hillary. At the very least Kasich would easily nab white male demos to the same degree as Mitt without suffering in every other category like Trump does.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Goetta posted:

I think Jeb, Rubio, and Kasich all would have been perfectly viable generic Republicans to run against Hillary but they were all flawed enough that Hillary could have beat them. But it would have been the usual toss up election as opposed to like Ted Cruz vs. Anyone Not On A Sex Offenders Database.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Larry Hogan, governor of Maryland, is the third GOP gov to go #NeverTrump:

https://twitter.com/OvettaWashPost/status/743144158794219525

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crows Turn Off posted:

For some reason, you made me remember when Cruz ate his own booger at a debate:
http://i.imgur.com/VrMSoin.webm

This is gross man.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

STAC Goat posted:

You know, the freakiest thing to me about Trump is the weird kindergarten teacher vocabulary.

he talks to his supporters like they're literally loving retarded. he's so patronizing and they just eat it up. i genuinely don't get it.

Slate Action posted:

Larry Hogan, governor of Maryland, is the third GOP gov to go #NeverTrump:

https://twitter.com/OvettaWashPost/status/743144158794219525

was really hoping this was hulk.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mitt Romney posted:

Isn't he technically correct on this point? Last time I checked we haven't really been pushing new development on warhead deployment methods while Russia has for a while.

Our modern deployment methods all revolve around submarines. Once you have MIRVs that can hit any spot on the globe and have built bunkers deep enough to hold them there really isn't much of a need to innovate land-based nukes anymore.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

"Did Liddle Marco make a poopy in his pants? Sad!"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Goetta posted:

Rubio would have crashed and burned in the debates eventually. All else being equal (i.e. disregarding Trump being a real actual nonfictional candidate who living people actually voted for in the real world), it's better for the GOP that it happened in the primary than in the general.

Kasich was never subjected to a proper scrutiny phase, so it's almost impossible to know how the GE would have unfolded with him as the Republican nominee.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mitt Romney posted:

As far as the US is concerned, all uranium, plutonium, thorium, and other radioactive materials disappeared from the US sometime in the 70s or 80s and is purely the stuff of foreign powers and cold war fiction

Carter wasn't just terrible at foreign policy and managing his own party, he also heavily blockaded nuclear, so, despite all his efforts to reverse climate change now, a great deal of the blame for our share of carbon emissions lies squarely on his shoulders.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Over the wall with em

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Top, let's smash it.

Seriously though wtf is wrong with Trump's vocab

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wages are still stagnant, costs for lots of stuff are up, and we just had a mega lovely jobs report. There is a lot stacked against the long-term incumbent party this year, especially one that nominated a pretty status quo candidate.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Chances are if you know about it, it isn't the top of the line in the military from what i understand about our nuclear subs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Goetta posted:

Wages are still stagnant, costs for lots of stuff are up, and we just had a mega lovely jobs report. There is a lot stacked against the long-term incumbent party this year, especially one that nominated a pretty status quo candidate.

Republicans have held congress for 6 years so yeah it looks bad for trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/trump-at-a-crossroads/486743/

This is a very accurate way to describe the 2016 GOP nomination process...

Edit: another thing I've been noticing as well...

He's definitely making a mental retreat back to the primaries as he starts realizing the rest of the world doesn't read loving Breitbart everyday.

I always figured Trump was going to have a hell of a time when the primary season was over but I really never imagined it would be this bad. He's so completely out of his element when he's not pitching to favorable audiences and the news media was only willing to be favorable to Trump as long as he was making a traditionally slow and largely ignored part of our political process interesting enough to watch. Now that they don't have to worry about him blackballing their ratings for the next six months Trump is going to find that the free advertising from all these news appearances isn't all it's cracked up to be.

• Locked thread