Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

wicka posted:

have you ever actually owned an AMD card

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

But Vega isn't in question even if we don't know its specs. It is coming, just like the 1060 is coming, which we also don't have much in the way of details on either.

What I meant is that Vega's specs are in question, I had thought that was completely obvious. We know plenty about the 1060 because we know it will be based on GP104's design and targeted to compete with the RX480. What happens if Vega comes out and it's about as impressive as Fury X was? I hope Vega comes out an is more powerful and cheaper than the Titan 10 or whatever the top end Nvidia card for this gen is, and by a significant margin too, because that is what AMD needs to do if they want to regain any significant degree of market share, they need to beat Nvidia on both price and performance at the top end if they want to convince a significant portion of the market to switch to their products.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

don't take this the wrong way but

are you sure?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Khorne posted:

There is no mystery here: AMD's drivers are trash. I would pay an extra $150 for a card to not use AMD drivers.

They really aren't. This is actually getting to the point of meme-level poo poo now, and really hasn't a place on SH/SC.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Khorne posted:

There is no mystery here: AMD's drivers are trash. I would pay an extra $150 for a card to not use AMD drivers.

I'd have had no regrets if I had to pay $50 to switch from my 970 to my 290 (rather than coming out right about dead even) because the drivers have been flat out better from AMD. I got game ready drivers for Total Warhammer rather than the poor performance the 970 got. I didn't get to experience the joys of the 364 driver branch with my multi monitor setup. I don't have to run a kludged-rear end setup with Nvidia Inspector to keep my GPU from running full 3d clocks and heating my room. I don't have anything like the two serious annoying bugs I had when I still had my 970 that took months to fix. The worst (and only) issue so far is a video flickering bug that's easy to work around and fixed after maybe two weeks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Hopefully they execute well, because I'm not one of the people who want them to compete just so they can get their NV cards cheaper
Those same people also don't care about the entire product stack actually getting any better.

Also I'm not sure their "we want to get nvidia cards cheaper :byodood:" argument holds up if they're willing to pay $100 over MSRP just to get something that'll get owned twice over in 8 months from the same company. They'll pay whatever Nvidia asks for their stripped-down consumer crap.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right, but the question that will forever eternally hang in the air is, "Did Intel's anti-competitive business practices put it into a position that they could increase funding to their R&D division and come out with a killer product in response to AMDX64?" followed by, "Did Intel's anti-competitive business practices magnify the market share gains of their better product?".

I would argue that yes, in spite of AMD not doing itself any favors, Intel exerted an unfair advantage by shutting AMD out of the OEM market while Intel themselves set up a recursive loop: Anti-competitive agreements with OEMs increase revenue, which can be spent on R&D or fabs, which increases margin, and gets them a tech lead, which they could then use to sell the latest and greatest to the OEMs. And this happened for, by some accounts, almost a decade, with allegations stemming back from the early 90s into the mid-00s.

If you ask me, any advantage you can maintain for a decade (or longer, even!), regardless of how infinitesimal, is going to pay off dividends in the end.

On top of this, their compiler suite would (and still does) compile a little check into the programs it builds - if the compiled program isn't running on a "Genuine Intel (R)" brand CPU then it turns off all optimizations because hey maybe AMD is lying about supporting extensions that have been standard for 15 years. Intel C++ Compiler is still extremely popular in the commercial world, frankly because it's the best compiler out there.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Prescription Combs posted:

They were trash. Aren't the Crimson drivers a huge improvement?
They got better on windows but they aren't on nvidia's level still.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3vhwds/mouse_cursor_corruption_bug_amd_for_real_fix_this/

This bug that annoyed the hell out of me in 2010 still existed as recently as six months ago and probably still does. "It's an OS issue man" that doesn't effect intel/nvidia.

wicka posted:

have you ever actually owned an AMD card
Yeah. I've owned 2 AMD cards (way more if you count ati). One died within a year of purchase which I didn't bring up before because it could happen with an nvidia card too, the other I gave to a family member. Who had to rollback his drivers 4 months ago because the current drivers weren't working with a game from 2012.

I also help family and internet video game friends with game related tech issues and the issue is almost always an amd card.

I am also seriously considering buying the new generation AMD card that is coming out. I am only wishy-washy on it because of driver issues I've experienced in the past, and that might make me decide not to buy it whether it is fixed or not. If I am in this position then other people might be as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 15, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Both Nvidia and AMD have had their share of poo poo drivers. Where I will give Nvidia an edge is the control panel and software, that might have changed with Crimson(God I hope so) but Catalyst Control Center can eat a bag of dicks. Switching to a 970 and having the control panel just open instead of causing my computer to hang for over a minute while CCC does God Knows What was amazing.

EDIT: Oh god the mouse cursor corruption bug still exists? Good lord, I dealt with that crap all the way from 2008 til I switched to Nvidia in 2014. :gonk:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 15, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right, but the question that will forever eternally hang in the air is, "Did Intel's anti-competitive business practices put it into a position that they could increase funding to their R&D division and come out with a killer product in response to AMDX64?" followed by, "Did Intel's anti-competitive business practices magnify the market share gains of their better product?".

I would argue that yes, in spite of AMD not doing itself any favors, Intel exerted an unfair advantage by shutting AMD out of the OEM market while Intel themselves set up a recursive loop: Anti-competitive agreements with OEMs increase revenue, which can be spent on R&D or fabs, which increases margin, and gets them a tech lead, which they could then use to sell the latest and greatest to the OEMs. And this happened for, by some accounts, almost a decade, with allegations stemming back from the early 90s into the mid-00s.

If you ask me, any advantage you can maintain for a decade (or longer, even!), regardless of how infinitesimal, is going to pay off dividends in the end.

oh you're absolutely right, i just thought it was odd that everyone jumped to intel's anti-competitive business tactics when the beginning of AMD's real troubles came when intel utilized the fruits of those tactics to start producing superior products. intel has been underhanded for decades but AMD wasn't struggling when they only had to compete with netburst.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Both Nvidia and AMD have had their share of poo poo drivers. Where I will give Nvidia an edge is the control panel and software, that might have changed with Crimson(God I hope so) but Catalyst Control Center can eat a bag of dicks. Switching to a 970 and having the control panel just open instead of causing my computer to hang for over a minute while CCC does God Knows What was amazing.

EDIT: Oh god the mouse cursor corruption bug still exists? Good lord, I dealt with that crap all the way from 2008 til I switched to Nvidia in 2014. :gonk:

I've never personally seen any kind of mouse cursor corruption, so I'm not aware of it.

However, the Crimson control panel opens immediately. A huge difference from the dick-holding of CCC.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
My 980 Ti is here, installed in my PC, all registered and invoice uploaded. That was fast, literally 36 hours between the order and the card being inside my PC. They must have overnighted it.

If you open a chat session with customer support they will email you a regular Newegg invoice for your eBay storefront purchase. Note that the invoice date here may be different from the date you sent the eBay order, presumably because they have to manually enter eBay sales into their system. My eBay order went in Monday night but my invoice date is listed as Tuesday 8:32 AM.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 15, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

nvidia's drivers were superior to AMD's for quite some time but to suggest that you'd pay a $150 premium to avoid AMD drivers is a baffling stance that isn't really supported by reality

crimson is a lot better but it's not all the way there in terms of the control panel UI. it still throws you back into CCC for things like scaling.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

They really aren't. This is actually getting to the point of meme-level poo poo now, and really hasn't a place on SH/SC.

They aren't anymore by all accounts, but they were not great for a long time. It'll take a while before that goes away. There is no shortage of driver complaints

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So for people who've been through paper launches before, just how long does this poo poo last?

Like when should I reasonably expect to be able to get a 1070? July? August? November 2017?

EDIT: VVVVV- Today? Doubtful.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 15, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

macnbc posted:

So for people who've been through paper launches before, just how long does this poo poo last?

Like when should I reasonably expect to be able to get a 1070? July? August? November 2017?

if you are willing to pay the FE premium you could probably get one today

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

wicka posted:

nvidia's drivers were superior to AMD's for quite some time but to suggest that you'd pay a $150 premium to avoid AMD drivers is a baffling stance that isn't really supported by reality

crimson is a lot better but it's not all the way there in terms of the control panel UI. it still throws you back into CCC for things like scaling.

Ehhh, I disagree, if you have had bad enough experiences with a product or company I can see just swearing off their products period.

macnbc posted:

Best case: Today.
Worst case: I'd guess some point in August? Every launch is different.

Also stop calling a launch where people do, in fact have actual working product a paper launch, it makes you look silly. :ughh:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was hoping for a lazy evening of Witcher 3 (finally!) but it looks less and less likely that my 1080 will ship this week, or this month. :negative:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wicka posted:

oh you're absolutely right, i just thought it was odd that everyone jumped to intel's anti-competitive business tactics when the beginning of AMD's real troubles came when intel utilized the fruits of those tactics to start producing superior products. intel has been underhanded for decades but AMD wasn't struggling when they only had to compete with netburst.

Surprisingly enough, some people hold a grudge when the houses of your enemies are built upon the bodies of your dead.

Just saying. :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 15, 2016

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Khorne posted:

Counterpoint: nvidia's drivers are equally trash.
Source: I've actually owned cards from both companies.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, I disagree, if you have had bad enough experiences with a product or company I can see just swearing off their products period.

a bit childish, no? things can and do change.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes and yes. Though you must have an insanely tight fit if the 2-3mm of a backplate is going to make a significant difference.

the modular power connectors are literally pressing against the back of my backplateless 290x

maybe i'll just flog the sfx-l psu and just get a standard sfx model - if i end up getting a 1070 it's going to be peanuts compared to that anyway

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

macnbc posted:

1070's have come in stock like 3 times today on newegg.com

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Do AMD and Nvidia GPU's still refuse to downclock if you run more than one monitor at non-identical resolutions?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29631178&postcount=1735

quote:

Hi All

Some updates from our side as promised:

1080 SC cards - Now arriving in some decent volumes to UK and EU channel partners. Stock a little shorter now though until back end of next week (23rd/24th) due to the gap of production from Dragon Boat Holiday.

1080 FTW cards - Our production now begins on this card next week, only review samples have thus been received by review sites, not one card has been shipped in either the US or the EU. Product will be received in Europe expected in 10-14 days time based on this production plan, and quantities will be shipped simultaneously to evga.com and select channel partners around Europe.

I will update further as and when we have more details. Sorry information to date on the FTW card has not been 100% accurate but the above should bring you right up to speed.

I am back from travel the rest of this week now so should be able to give a few updates.

Thanks
Ben

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So wait, this guy is saying production on the FTW begins next week, while the other guy has been saying that they were shipping this week? It sounds like some managers over in manufacturing in china were on holiday and people have just been making things up for the last week, lol.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

macnbc posted:

zotac 1070 is literally on Amazon right now

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So wait, this guy is saying production on the FTW begins next week, while the other guy has been saying that they were shipping this week? It sounds like some managers over in manufacturing in china were on holiday and people have just been making things up for the last week, lol.

I'm curious what's going on here:

Solvency posted:

Got a shipping notification from EVGA, expected delivery is Thursday for the 1080 FTW. Order time according to email was 6:57

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Naffer posted:

Do AMD and Nvidia GPU's still refuse to downclock if you run more than one monitor at non-identical resolutions?

My 290 doesn't run particularly low clocks but sure isn't running high clocks, my 970 needed a workaround with NV inspector.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, I'll find out tomorrow and post pictures when it arrives. My guess is the EU spokesperson doesn't know about the US side of things.

Edit from below:

Larrymer posted:

They probably just created a shipping label, who knows though.

No, it has definitely shipped and has moved between two different UPS warehouses in California.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 15, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sir Kodiak posted:

They probably just created a shipping label, who knows though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe they manufactured a small batch for review samples and then sent the excess out for EVGA preorders and a few lucky folks shopping at newegg.

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/743112815351734272

:confused:

e:
evga_Jacob ftw, evga_ben ftl:
https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/743160825964175362

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 15, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Naffer posted:

I have a side monitor at 1080p/60hz, and my 970 downclocks fully with the main 1440p one at 120/144hz but doesn't go below 900mhz at 165hz. Good enough :v:

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 15, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Ugh I'm getting a growing temptation to attempt to flip my G1 1070 already. That is, if it actually ships today

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Naffer posted:

The core clocks drop as expected on AMD GPUs, but the memory clock does not, and stays unnecessarily high. From my experience, anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

macnbc posted:

I :f5:d the gently caress out of Newegg last night when I saw Gigabyte was going to launch their G1 1070s at midnight and managed to order one (hasn't shipped yet though :sigh:) so if you're really lucky you might get one at any time. Use the part tracker website and alerts if nothing else.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also stop calling a launch where people do, in fact have actual working product a paper launch, it makes you look silly. :ughh:

I liked the "if someone announces a product and you can't buy it that's a paper launch" definition earlier. I guess that means E3 is days and days of paper launches and not just announcements and marketing hype.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There's gotta be something inbetween a paper-launch and a full-launch. If not someone needs to make one - Like a pat-launch, or other androgynous name

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
limp launch

Evil Fluffy posted:

I :f5:d the gently caress out of Newegg last night when I saw Gigabyte was going to launch their G1 1070s at midnight and managed to order one (hasn't shipped yet though :sigh:) so if you're really lucky you might get one at any time. Use the part tracker website and alerts if nothing else.

I liked the "if someone announces a product and you can't buy it that's a paper launch" definition earlier. I guess that means E3 is days and days of paper launches and not just announcements and marketing hype.

I was actually going to ask in this thread if anybody's has shipped yet as mine hasn't either. But, its only 1:30 in CA and shipper pickups are always late so I'm still hopeful. They did charge my card though so that's actually a good sign

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 15, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

HalloKitty posted:

The core clocks drop as expected on AMD GPUs, but the memory clock does not, and stays unnecessarily high. From my experience, anyway.

This is sort of my experience on an old 5770. It downclocks the core to 400 MHz (normal idle is ~150 MHz) but leaves the memory at full tilt. I was hoping something had changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Ninkobei posted:

There's gotta be something inbetween a paper-launch and a full-launch. If not someone needs to make one - Like a pat-launch, or other androgynous name

Nah, "paper launch" is just meaningless doublespeak