Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Keeshhound posted:

I don't think the question was meant as "why is th NRA supressing gun statistics." Like you said, most people can reason that out. It was probably meant to be read as "what's their excuse for this?"

Uh, learning is for fags? And readily available data is to people who have two brain cells to rub together as food stamps and a refrigerator are to the poor?

Listen here, boy, the justification doesn't need to make sense. You just need to feel like you're fighting the good fight against the tyrannical government that is taking away are guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Chilichimp posted:

Guns are not liable to cause tens of thousands of dollars in "property" damage by accident or negligence... The damage we're concerned with regarding firearms is human deaths, which insurance won't be able to adequately replace. So every death will be compensated with punitive damages... which would be millions of dollars.

When you wreck a car, insurance pays to replace the damaged property and medical bills for the other driver. I've never killed anyone with a car, but I image if someone dies, the insurance company writes a check or you have to subpoena the driver for punitive damages.

Let's come around to the real argument... mass murderers aren't concerned with whether they kill people, as that is their entire motivation. They won't be around to pay the deductible. Insurance likely wouldn't cover malicious intent of the firearm operator. So insurance will only be for accidents, most accidental gunshot wounds are self inflicted... So you're really just putting burden on legal and licensed gun owners to provide the illusion of security... Adding cost of insurance will absolutely lower legal gun ownership without doing anything to curtail gun violence. Of course, if your entire goal is to find a means to reduce gun ownership, then bravo.

That's why I think this is dumb. Instead push universal background checks, so we can deny purchases to criminals with warrants, prior violent offenders, or individuals on government watch lists. Also push licensing, which would require training, certification, mental health checkups. 2 year expiration seem frequent enough?

Sounds like the insurance will want to make sure whoever they decide to insure is sane which would necessitate a psych eval and has no past history of criminal violence which would necessitate a background check. If people can't afford the insurance maybe they shouldn't get a gun? Also "criminals aren't going to follow the law anyway," is dumb why have any law in that case?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Phone posted:

Uh, learning is for fags? And readily available data is to people who have two brain cells to rub together as food stamps and a refrigerator are to the poor?

Listen here, boy, the justification doesn't need to make sense. You just need to feel like you're fighting the good fight against the tyrannical government that is taking away are guns.

Even then, all you have to do is get them paranoid enough to believe that some much greater tragedy (or one affecting people they know) is barely prevented by their gun totems.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I no poo poo had someone tell me that the Alt-Right is moving toward the center and guys like Milo aren't racist and homophobic poo poo heads. It was the craziest thing

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know Milo is gay, but I wonder if he actually does give a poo poo about the LGBT+ community. Calling himself the faggotron doesn't really make me believe that he does.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Re: Milo being unsuspended

What Twitter should do is just put his poo poo on a timer and make it only available from 1am to 5am Monday through Friday, and 11am to 1pm on the weekends.

We could probably solve California's drought problem pretty quick.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Aren't any of the reasonable solutions mentioned here irrelevent if gun shows/private sales aren't prohibited?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

beatlegs posted:

Aren't any of the reasonable solutions mentioned here irrelevent if gun shows/private sales aren't prohibited?

Guh! It's like you WANT to inconvenience me as much as possible! Cut it out! I HAVE RIGHTS!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
So the US Senate's version of the NDAA that passed includes a requirement for women to register for the Selective Service Act aka the draft.

The Book of Faces is equal parts
1) "Serves you right, FEMINAZIS! This is true EQUALITY!"
2) "Children deserve a mother[not a parent, a mother specifically]"
3) "We should abolish the draft"

:smithicide:

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 15, 2016

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

I no poo poo had someone tell me that the Alt-Right is moving toward the center and guys like Milo aren't racist and homophobic poo poo heads. It was the craziest thing

Keep a record of his ramblings so you can submitted it to the Committee of Public Safety after the Revolution.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

So the US Senate's version of the NDAA that passed includes a requirement for women to register for the Selective Service Act aka the draft.

Reaction 1 is dumb as gently caress, Reaction 2 is a weird non sequitur, but Reaction 3 is true at least. Battling one for three is p decent in baseball, right?

Regardless, we seem to be moving closer in closer to my AR-15 United States AU headcan(n)on

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Reason 3 is stupid too since it's pretty much "A woman's place is in the kitchen".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Sounds like the insurance will want to make sure whoever they decide to insure is sane which would necessitate a psych eval and has no past history of criminal violence which would necessitate a background check. If people can't afford the insurance maybe they shouldn't get a gun? Also "criminals aren't going to follow the law anyway," is dumb why have any law in that case?

I'm not saying that you can't have insurance requirements; I'm saying don't pretend it's a means to curtail gun violence.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

Reason 3 is stupid too since it's pretty much "A woman's place is in the kitchen".

No, it was in response to extending the draft to more people, not #2.

The other right wing crisis du jour is the National Cathedral is taking out the stained glass windows that have the flags of the traitorous south. So many white people crying about history.

So many people calling for the elimination of any mention of the traitorous south :allears:

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 15, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rick_Hunter posted:

No, it was in response to extending the draft to more people, not #2.

Oh whoops. :sweatdrop:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

It's alright. People can get kind of testy in the times we live in.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rick_Hunter posted:

I spent a year working as a volunteer for a tiny DC-based pacifist non-profit. Every once in a while the director would suggest trying to float a lawsuit against selective service requirements being discriminatory on the hopes that it'd either get the draft ruled unconstitutional, or that we could leverage sexism against the draft once fathers started freaking out at the idea of their little girl having to serve.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The gun violence "problem" in the United States won't ever be solved in the current system because citizens are thinking of it as a problem and therefore looking for solutions.

To a majority of the people writing laws and legislation, even saying "there is no problem for them" doesn't go far enough. Things as they are right now re: gun violence are a huge, huge benefit. They're getting money from lobbyists/thinks tanks/activist organizations etc. etc, votes from scared citizens, and plenty of press time by standing up and trying to shout their rhetoric louder than everyone else.

Yeah some of them actually do believe in what they're saying. Like I imagine Gabby Giffords probably actually does want a solution because guess what she was loving shot herself and understands the reality. For every one example like that though there's a hundred examples of people who don't care about the issue, don't understand a single thing about it, couldn't begin to outline a meaningful solution other than mealy mouthed political rhetoric and just want to yell about how terrible things are so they scare people into voting for them to keep their job.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

citybeatnik posted:

the whole gun insurance thing runs headfirst in to stuff like that bit in Freaknomics where statistically a pool is more dangerous to own than a gun. It's a lovely talking point to use due to the fact that you're not going to have a pool owner drag it with them to a school or theater to drown people with, but that's the argument against it that people will bring up.

A more important point is the proponents generally not thinking that liability insurance by nature exempts intentional criminal acts so doesn't even really make sense for what they want it to do.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

I spent a year working as a volunteer for a tiny DC-based pacifist non-profit. Every once in a while the director would suggest trying to float a lawsuit against selective service requirements being discriminatory on the hopes that it'd either get the draft ruled unconstitutional, or that we could leverage sexism against the draft once fathers started freaking out at the idea of their little girl having to serve.

I'm not against the draft but it's kind of an outdated way of mobilizing for a conflict. Conscripts are trained but not as well trained as say the modern US volunteer military. Of course you have to weight that with the fact that a volunteer force is a constant drain on taxes because of pay, retirement, maintenance, R&D, etc.

Hmm. I guess I would end this with I think the draft should be abolished but if WW3 happens and it gets reinstituted it should be all citizens 18 years or older.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

I'm not against the draft but it's kind of an outdated way of mobilizing for a conflict. Conscripts are trained but not as well trained as say the modern US volunteer military. Of course you have to weight that with the fact that a volunteer force is a constant drain on taxes because of pay, retirement, maintenance, R&D, etc.

Hmm. I guess I would end this with I think the draft should be abolished but if WW3 happens and it gets reinstituted it should be all citizens 18 years or older.

It's also much easier to wage endless wars for dubious purposes if the only people getting killed and maimed are drawn entirely from low-income communities. The human cost of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq has been largely invisible to most people. War no longer touches enough lives to become a social issue that angers anyone.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jack Gladney posted:

It's also much easier to wage endless wars for dubious purposes if the only people getting killed and maimed are drawn entirely from low-income communities. The human cost of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq has been largely invisible to most people. War no longer touches enough lives to become a social issue that angers anyone.

Don't kid yourself. Rich kids don't get drafted, they get educational deferrments or get moved to a guard posting.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

seiferguy posted:

I know Milo is gay, but I wonder if he actually does give a poo poo about the LGBT+ community. Calling himself the faggotron doesn't really make me believe that he does.

Hard to say since he obviously has a lot of internal conflict. At points he's said he would readily accept a pill that made him not gay and there was also that time he suddenly declared he was getting married to a woman and sounded really excited about it before just pretending it never happened.

There was some big article or post that catalogued all of his obvious public self loathing at one point.

E: maybe it was this one? https://idledillettante.com/2015/10/12/milo-yiannopoulos-in-his-own-words/

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 15, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Don't kid yourself. Rich kids don't get drafted, they get educational deferrments or get moved to a guard posting. volunteer for a champaign unit.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Keeshhound posted:

Don't kid yourself. Rich kids don't get drafted, they get educational deferrments or get moved to a guard posting.

I think the idea there was that, yeah, rich kids are going to be off free but that it'll become a thing when it hits middle income families.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

hannity just introduced "the bartender" from the club, but the caller is in fact a "go go dancer" and hannity doesn't understand, "what exactly do you do at the club?"
"I keep the crowd amped up and I was dancing on the bar on Saturday"
hannity was caught off guard, take one

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How does someone not know what a Go Go Dancer is?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MariusLecter posted:

Hannity seems like the kid who never had any friends and didn't ever do anything fun and is now super angry about it.

Also, I listened to him for like 15 minutes and he sure sounded like a white nationalist talking about how "they" were ruining America and "they" always get away with "it" in San Jose and Ferguson.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

seiferguy posted:

No. He's one of the most anti-gay people in RWM today, despite his constant proclamations that he enjoys getting pounded by various interchangeable black men.

He's a sad clown of utter self-hatred to the point where it's not even a matter of cognitive dissonance, he's fully conscious of what he's doing and saying. He's all but said that the point of his "Dangerous Fagot" speaking tour is to basically tell dudebros that it's okay to take a swing at gay people and call them fagots and queers because that's what Milo would do too if he had an ounce of courage in him.

He's basically the LGBT community's version of Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

seiferguy posted:

Maybe he's a Potemkin homosexual. :tinfoil:

MariusLecter posted:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 has been off the air for quite a while.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jack Gladney posted:

As it stands, our volunteer military comes disproportionately from middle and upper income families. We can manage long-term warfare with less political blowback now almost entirely because smaller numbers of increasingly mechanized troops allow us to mostly confine the death and misery to foreigners no one back home cares about.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

citybeatnik posted:

I think the idea there was that, yeah, rich kids are going to be off free but that it'll become a thing when it hits middle income families.

The middle class is still shrinking, though, isn't it? And it's not like they have a history of political solidarity with less powerful groups, either. Just look at abortion and change it to "the only moral exemption to the draft is my exemption.

I get the logic behind the argument, and I'm sure a draft would see an initial adjustment in foreign policy thinking for the short term, but I don't see it having long term impact. If mandatory conscription was passed today, I think you'd just see the politically active classes lobby for exceptions that primarily benefitted them, and the makeup of the army would wind up looking the same as it does now; primarily minorities and poor whites. The differntce would be that instead of enticing them, they'd be forced into service.

Killer robot posted:

As it stands, our volunteer military comes disproportionately from middle and upper income families. We can manage long-term warfare with less political blowback now almost entirely because smaller numbers of increasingly mechanized troops allow us to mostly confine the death and misery to foreigners no one back home cares about.

Oh, is that the case now? My bad; I was under the impression that the current military was mostly recruited from the economically disadvantaged due to the current conflicts turning off those with better prospects.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 15, 2016

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Conservatives are islands of sanity in a sea of unhinged leftist insanity, don't ya know.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Of course, top of the page on Drudge right now...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just listened to Hannity interview Rick Scott and it was bizarre. He kept trying to provoke Scott into lashing out against Obama and he just wouldn't bite (I assume because he wants federal aid and all that nice stuff). But it was really bizarre because it would be exchange after exchange of:

Hannity: I know Trump called you, did Obama?
Scott: Oh sure, of course. I spoke to him today.
Hannity: Oh, how nice of him to get around to it. He called his buddy the mayor of Orlando earlier than that.
Scott: Well I'm just glad he's coming and I'll be meeting him on the tarmac.
Hannity: Well I wouldn't do that if I was you. You're going above and beyond.

Sean Hannity, making Rick Scott seem like a reasonable human being.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Odds are he doesn't. Being gay is a sexual preference and it's perfectly possible to hold it while being truly vile, including toward your own group/identity.

Just google Roy Cohn or read three Jim Hoft posts in a row.

Even being oppressed/victimized is no guarantee of empathy, and movies/media in general does all of us a disservice by always painting the underdog as a morally flawless exemplar. Doesn't mean they should not fight back or be allowed respect, but people are complex. In the most messed up ways.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

nine-gear crow posted:

He's basically the LGBT community's version of Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks.

Uncle Ruckus is far less insufferable than him. At least he doesn't whine at the president for losing a checkmark.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Of course, top of the page on Drudge right now...

It's more than a little depressing that he's become the right wing's favorite "one of the good one" gay people. Though we all have learned that narcissism is almost as big a draw as spewing mindless hatred is for conservative media.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think you only need to look at how much of the Right is impoverished to see how little someone can care about people in their own underprivileged group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Have some more newrepublic.txt

quote:

Orlando Has Exposed Islam’s Huge Homophobia Problem

quote:

A shield of white liberal guilt protects socially conservative minorities from having their positions challenged, and this shield is harmful.

https://newrepublic.com/article/134311/orlando-exposed-islams-huge-homophobia-problem

Even on the radical identity politics issues where liberalism has given out major concessions to the left you can still see their true loyalties as smug, wealthy white men shine through from time to time

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 15, 2016