Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There was not one single candidate that was going to be able to take the scrutiny of the general. Marco Rubio is an empty suit, and Jeb's thinking that he was ever going to overcome the toxic association of his name was the definition of 'delusional'. The extremists are all that's left, and my two cents are that Cruz would have been the nominee absent Trump. He proved himself to be extraordinarily nimble, having the only working strategy against Trump (even if it was 'don't engage'), and his arguments that Trump could be beaten if the others dropped out are likely true. The republicans are decrepit, and it was only a matter of time before catastrophic collapse. More and more this is looking like that collapse. When a terror attack by a muslim turns people democrat things are officially pretty bad for the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Trump won the GOP race with more votes than any Republican candidate before him.

Thats just absurd and amazing and if they snake it away from him now it would own so hard.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

quote:

Trump on Putin/Russia: "Our nuclear is old and tired and his nuclear is tippy top, from what I hear."

Could the "from what I hear" poo poo be him trying to intimate that he got the info from intelligence briefings?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mirthless posted:

I always figured Trump was going to have a hell of a time when the primary season was over but I really never imagined it would be this bad. He's so completely out of his element when he's not pitching to favorable audiences and the news media was only willing to be favorable to Trump as long as he was making a traditionally slow and largely ignored part of our political process interesting enough to watch. Now that they don't have to worry about him blackballing their ratings for the next six months Trump is going to find that the free advertising from all these news appearances isn't all it's cracked up to be.

That's the curious bit. Trump has needed barebones (or less!) campaign infrastructure because the news media has been his staunchest supporter. It comes up a bunch but billions of dollars in free exposure--in the primary phase no less--is absolutely a game-changer.

Only now, he needs that infrastructure because he has to play outside the echo chamber. And the "be loud, get cycles" strategy is failing because of the ugliness of his statements on that larger stage. So he not only is getting poo poo on his face, he lacks the infrastructure to do damage control and play up his strengths. Unless things change in a hurry, it's going to be a very pathetic showing come November that will be over by 10 PM.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Squizzle posted:

You have a right to a speedy trial, not a speedy investigation before charges are even made. The feds could draw out the process by months or years, especially since "Can this guy buy a gun?" is legit a lower priority than most of their other investigative work. Double-especially if the criteria for being firearms watchlisted is loosened enough that a meaningful fraction of purchases require FBI clearance, thereby creating a backlog to work through.

At the extreme, they could use broad watchlisting parameters to slow the tempo of civilian firearms purchases enough that it drives some dealers out of business, which is a soft win for gun control.
One would imagine that their "due process protections" would prevent anything but a speedy investigation.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 18, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Perfectly Safe posted:

Is there a (nonzero) level to which his support could fall that would actually make ratfuck better than notratfuck?

Mathematically? There's probably some way to make it work out on paper but realistically I can't imagine the party managing to get the leash back on the howling maniacs in such a way that they wouldn't go completely bonkers if Trump got Ides of March'd.

The_Raven posted:

Could the "from what I hear" poo poo be him trying to intimate that he got the info from intelligence briefings?

I doubt it. "From what I hear," and "I hear from many people," are stock Trump lines that he thinks gives him cover to then say the most outrageous poo poo in the world and not get called on it, a mistaken belief that was reinforced by the light treatment he got during the primaries, and which is now I suspect contributing (along with many other things) to his petulant behavior when the media has the gall to actually ask him something about anything.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/743134539577462788

He's likely correct on a long enough timeline but still lol Republicans: this is your candidate

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Full Battle Rattle posted:

There was not one single candidate that was going to be able to take the scrutiny of the general. Marco Rubio is an empty suit, and Jeb's thinking that he was ever going to overcome the toxic association of his name was the definition of 'delusional'. The extremists are all that's left, and my two cents are that Cruz would have been the nominee absent Trump. He proved himself to be extraordinarily nimble, having the only working strategy against Trump (even if it was 'don't engage'), and his arguments that Trump could be beaten if the others dropped out are likely true. The republicans are decrepit, and it was only a matter of time before catastrophic collapse. More and more this is looking like that collapse. When a terror attack by a muslim turns people democrat things are officially pretty bad for the GOP.

If Marco "Parental Rights of the Rapist" Rubio hadn't been forced to take a position on abortion to the right of jack the ripper he might have done okay in the GE, especially if the GOP could keep the election about Hillary. I don't think he could have won, but he might have made a good show of it and earned the GOP another opportunity to realign themselves.

I would be pretty surprised if the GOP of 2020 resembles the GOP of today in any capacity, a collapse of some kind is coming for sure. If they don't turn things around soon they are going to take a severe beating in November in every category and you can bet that there will be some substantial power shifts in the party afterwards.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mirthless posted:

As far as the US is concerned, all uranium, plutonium, thorium, and other radioactive materials disappeared from the US sometime in the 70s or 80s and is purely the stuff of foreign powers and cold war fiction

Carter wasn't just terrible at foreign policy and managing his own party, he also heavily blockaded nuclear, so, despite all his efforts to reverse climate change now, a great deal of the blame for our share of carbon emissions lies squarely on his shoulders.

Carter is one of the best ex-Presidents in modern history. It's unfortunate that he had to be President first.

Goetta posted:

Wages are still stagnant, costs for lots of stuff are up, and we just had a mega lovely jobs report. There is a lot stacked against the long-term incumbent party this year, especially one that nominated a pretty status quo candidate.

Shades of 1988, in which an established, elderly party operator ran as the virtual third term of the wildly charismatic President who had beaten the operator for nomination when it was supposed to be "their turn". The opposing party nominee, a bumbling gently caress-up from the northeast, somehow managed to win the nomination in a crowded field of candidates despite being almost preternaturally unsuitable for a national general election campaign.

If the pattern holds, I'm guessing Hillary grabs Julian Castro for the VP spot. He seems the most likely to make a series of Quayle-style bumbles on the campaign trail.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Trump takes dive in third

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The good news for Trump is that even though his established brand is mostly shot with the general public, he can make a killing resurrecting Trump U in December to soak his true Republican believers.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
It's going to be great fun as we watch TrumpVirus2016 activate after the GOP convention is completed. Trump's candidacy--imagined, proposed, and accepted by The Donald--was designed to castrate the Republican Party and assure Clinton's election in 2016. Watch as Trump takes crazy talk to new heights as we approach the November election; I predict he will be the first presidential candidate of a major political party to use the term "oval office" in a debate.

Love,
Vitalis

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Goetta posted:

Wages are still stagnant, costs for lots of stuff are up, and we just had a mega lovely jobs report. There is a lot stacked against the long-term incumbent party this year, especially one that nominated a pretty status quo candidate.

Sounds like a tough election to win. Good thing we didn't nominate the pro-rape communist!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

If the pattern holds, I'm guessing Hillary grabs Julian Castro for the VP spot. He seems the most likely to make a series of Quayle-style bumbles on the campaign trail.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Castro is overrated. And a friend who works in politics says this.

Because so far all I've seen is ... he's young! And ... Latino!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Squizzle posted:

Carter is one of the best ex-Presidents in modern history. It's unfortunate that he had to be President first.

Shades of 1988, in which an established, elderly party operator ran as the virtual third term of the wildly charismatic President who had beaten the operator for nomination when it was supposed to be "their turn". The opposing party nominee, a bumbling gently caress-up from the northeast, somehow managed to win the nomination in a crowded field of candidates despite being almost preternaturally unsuitable for a national general election campaign.

Yeah this feels like a good analogy to me. Maybe we will get another war in the ME over it as well :anime:

The GOP looks like poo poo now but would wager they find someone super moderate and palatable in 2020

Goatman Sacks posted:

Sounds like a tough election to win. Good thing we didn't nominate the pro-rape communist!

????

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

OAquinas posted:

That's the curious bit. Trump has needed barebones (or less!) campaign infrastructure because the news media has been his staunchest supporter. It comes up a bunch but billions of dollars in free exposure--in the primary phase no less--is absolutely a game-changer.

Only now, he needs that infrastructure because he has to play outside the echo chamber. And the "be loud, get cycles" strategy is failing because of the ugliness of his statements on that larger stage. So he not only is getting poo poo on his face, he lacks the infrastructure to do damage control and play up his strengths. Unless things change in a hurry, it's going to be a very pathetic showing come November that will be over by 10 PM.

Mitt was over by 10pm. Donald will be lucky if he makes it past exit polling.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Mathematically? There's probably some way to make it work out on paper but realistically I can't imagine the party managing to get the leash back on the howling maniacs in such a way that they wouldn't go completely bonkers if Trump got Ides of March'd.

I was more wondering if it might be viable from a political standpoint - if he got down to 25% approval within the party or something - for someone else to step in. I guess it's a moot point since I simply couldn't see the Rs taking 2016 under any reasonable circumstances, and by that metric nobody seems viable anyway. But I was also thinking of the career of the intstepee. Could Trump be so unpopular that, say, Bush/Romney/Cruz could actually be crowned at the convention and not destroy their own careers by doing so?

I guess you've answered already since the bonkers howling maniacs thing sounds bad.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Perfectly Safe posted:

One would imagine that their "due process protections" would prevent anything but a speedy investigation.

You're making a lot of assumptions with no reason at all for them. Why would lawmakers set it up so that if the feds weren't ready to arrest someone, they would remove them from the watch list? They have stated that they want to give the FBI power to delay purchases and a way for people to remove themselves from the watch list, but nothing about setting up some kind of automatic removal if you haven't actually committed a crime yet. The whole point of watch lists is to monitor people that may commit a crime in the future, not to have a list of people you haven't gotten around to arresting yet

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Who will be trumps karl rove, refusing to admit defeat for hours on live television? I nominate John miller

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mirthless posted:

Mitt was over by 10pm. Donald will be lucky if he makes it past exit polling.

Yeah, given that there's no reasonable path to victory for him without at least like 2 or 3 states in the Eastern TZ (E.g. PA, OH, VA, FL and he has to land most of them) I wouldn't be surprised if they call it upon exit polling if it shows strong Hillary wins in more than 2 of those.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Goatman Sacks posted:

I know you're just trolling but the weird erotic poetry Bernie Sanders wrote during the free love era doesn't make him pro-rape and it's gross that you're going there.

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, given that there's no reasonable path to victory for him without at least like 2 or 3 states in the Eastern TZ (E.g. PA, OH, VA, FL and he has to land most of them) I wouldn't be surprised if they call it upon exit polling if it shows strong Hillary wins in more than 2 of those.

If he polls low going into election day and exit polls are more than +10 hillary in any of the big swing states I can see them calling it very early. That scenario is pretty wishful, but he's floundering horribly now and we have no idea what the floor of his candidacy actually looks like at this point.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/KilloughCNN/status/743136740823695360

The power, the devastation is so important to me. But our nukes are so old, so tired. Weak!

i will be eager to see him tweet about tippy top nukes when he gets intelligence briefings

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

I know you're just trolling but the weird erotic poetry Bernie Sanders wrote during the free love era doesn't make him pro-rape and it's gross that you're going there.

I was going with the obvious smears the GOP would use against a Sanders candidacy that would make his much-hyped 10 point lead over Trump disappear in a week.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump officially snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

shiksa posted:

Who will be trumps karl rove, refusing to admit defeat for hours on live television? I nominate John miller

Katrina "Bullet Farmer" Pierson.

I really wish she'd wear that necklace again.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Goetta posted:

Yeah this feels like a good analogy to me. Maybe we will get another war in the ME over it as well :anime:

The GOP looks like poo poo now but would wager they find someone super moderate and palatable in 2020

????

Lmao the GOP is physically incapable of nominating a moderate

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Goatman Sacks posted:

I was going with the obvious smears the GOP would use against a Sanders candidacy that would make his much-hyped 10 point lead over Trump disappear in a week.

Oh! This is true, and it was also a point of concern for me. No, no way that they wouldn't get a Bernie Sanders sounding dude to read those lines off for an attack ad. I think they'd have a hard time getting it to stick for very long, though, he'd need to have a lot more in his background than that. (Of course, who's to say he doesn't? He hasn't had 20-30 years of direct scrutiny applied to him the same way Clinton has, so he's probably got a few skeletons in his closet that we don't know about yet.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wikkheiser posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Castro is overrated. And a friend who works in politics says this.

Because so far all I've seen is ... he's young! And ... Latino!

He might be an amazing VP candidate, but how the hell could anyone know for sure at this point? National general elections are just hellishly brutal, and J. C., Superstar hasn't had to handle even statewide election levels of brutality. If anyone's going to be the Quayle this cycle, it's him.

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord

H5N1 posted:

I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign...for 2020!!

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Squizzle posted:

He might be an amazing VP candidate, but how the hell could anyone know for sure at this point? National general elections are just hellishly brutal, and J. C., Superstar hasn't had to handle even statewide election levels of brutality. If anyone's going to be the Quayle this cycle, it's him.

I don't want Julian Castro to be the VP because he looks like he just crash landed his UFO in a wife beater's field and mercifully relieved said wife of her husband

What I'm saying is that Julian Castro is the villain from Men in Black and he is very clearly wearing a skin suit

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jewel Repetition posted:

One of the reasons I was so relieved by Trump's nomination is I thought it meant he was locked in and we'd be blessed with him no matter what until November. But I hadn't even considered the possibility that his support would drop so low he'd be in danger of making up an excuse to stop running and save himself the humiliation.

It will be hard but each of us will have to come to terms with the fact that 4chan's /pol/ and reddit's the_donald have been right all along. Some of them have even tried to explain it to reporters "were here for the memes". I support Trump ironically in order to unironically destroy the GOP because they are scum who I hate. I don't even care if he wins or not because the GOP is done either way.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

shiksa posted:

Katrina Pierson, the bullet farmer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm surprised a lot of you do not like Castro, as USPOL jerks it to the guy. Being from SA I can tell you, he was ok, but there's nothing there that couldn't be handled by anybody else name-dropped here or in D&D.

Picking HUD secretary, will be good optics countering whatever imbecile, or ponzi-scheme tycoon Trump decides to go with tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sadly, Katrina won't be wearing that necklace again because last time she did someone accused her of wearing it in support of victims of gun violence

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't mean this in a demeaning way but I think Castro should win an election bigger than Mayor of San Antonio before becoming Vice President.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

I'm surprised a lot of you do not like Castro, as USPOL jerks it to the guy. Being from SA I can tell you, he was ok, but there's nothing there that couldn't be handled by anybody else name-dropped here or in D&D.

Picking HUD secretary, will be good optics countering whatever imbecile, or ponzi-scheme tycoon Trump decides to go with tho
Oh hey someone else from San Antonio.

And :agreed: on everything you said.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Here's a challenge: which one's Julian Castro, and which one is Edgar, the cockroach alien from Men in Black?

And no google image searching! That's cheating!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Milo and Gavin did their press conference. It was a lot of Islamaphobia and liberal hate then ended with them making out before the Q&A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Parts of Ted Cruz's face ranked by how much they piss me off:

1. Mouth
2. Eyes
3. Hair
4. Chin
5. Nose
6. Cheeks

• Locked thread