Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Also, did I just read c-span wrong or have several republicans joined this filibuster?

Republicans can't be seen as arming terrorists*

*even though the person that shot up Pulse was a US citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I used to do this. The problem is that right wing media has so much misinformation that it's impossible to track and debunk it all, so the net effect of listening is just that it makes you dumber and less well informed.

I have learned to ignore nearly all opinion journalism, both left and right. Sticking to the facts and figuring out my own opinion based on that is much more satisfying. That eliminates about 90% of the internet, of course, but I'm better off without it.

There are a handful of people whose opinion I trust on specific issues I'm not very knowledgeable about, but I keep trying to learn the basics of most fields so I can lean on them less and less.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/743055812684353536

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Larch posted:

How long is it going to take for you to grasp that you are literally the only person in this thread that gives the slightest gently caress about this poo poo?

e: Pretend I quoted BetterToRuleInHell here.

His thread strategy is to show up every couple of days, post some article that he thinks will rile up the D&D hivemind and go "Whoa, looks like that there government sure is in a pickle!"

This one was particularly idiotic because it was just "Some idiot says an idiotic thing" and not even remotely connected to any actual political news.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

WampaLord posted:

His thread strategy is to show up every couple of days, post some article that he thinks will rile up the D&D hivemind and go "Whoa, looks like that there government sure is in a pickle!"

This one was particularly idiotic because it was just "Some idiot says an idiotic thing" and not even remotely connected to any actual political news.

Not only that but trying to find someone who said a dumb thing on the other side of the spectrum at something like a Trump rally is like bobbing for water.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Sweet, now we just have to decide what an "assault weapon" is!

A friend of mine who is former military was suggesting a radically longer waiting period on magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles, which doesn't sound too ridiculous, actually (like 3 months). Not sure it would have stopped any specific incidents, but it's at least targeting a type of weapon that makes some level of sense, not that 90s style barrel shroud nonsense.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I am against assault weapons bans because they will be necessary in putting together a fighting league ala the Reichsbanner Schwarze-Rot-Gold.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Whaaaaaaaaaat

Oh man Trump hosed that up enough for people to start planning on ousting him at the RNC I bet. A big terror attack sweeping him into office is the scenario that has a lot of the GOP tepidly supporting him. If not even that will help...

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

A friend of mine who is former military was suggesting a radically longer waiting period on magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles, which doesn't sound too ridiculous, actually (like 3 months). Not sure it would have stopped any specific incidents, but it's at least targeting a type of weapon that makes some level of sense, not that 90s style barrel shroud nonsense.

That's the biggest thing. It's still literally "guns that remind me of movie bad guys and/or video game powerups" just as much as it was in the 90s, with any technical descriptions being an afterthought to catch as many models fitting the emotional description as well as possible. NY's latest AWB iteration added pistols over a certain weight, because this somehow is a pressing crime danger that the lightweight and concealable sort aren't.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Replacing Trump at the convention through ratfuckery would piss off to all hell the Trump faithful and show the republican party establishment doesn't give a drat about its rank and file and is desperate as hell. It could possibly be the only disaster grander then the current train-wreck

That only holds true while there are Trump faithful. It's beginning to seem possible for Trump to have significant negative favorability among conservatives, to the point where 2/3 of GOP voters would welcome a convention coup.

Edit:

Killer robot posted:

That's the biggest thing. It's still literally "guns that remind me of movie bad guys and/or video game powerups" just as much as it was in the 90s, with any technical descriptions being an afterthought to catch as many models fitting the emotional description as well as possible.
Can't we ban based on capability, like "no guns that can fire more than one bullet per second" or something?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 15, 2016

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

If my hypothesis is correct then Trump will react to Networks trying to pre-empt his speeches by doiung something that he thinks will force them to pay attention to him. Ignoring Trump at this stage is going to be taken as a provocation/challenge.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect this will only cause Trump to escalate his rhetoric at an even faster pace than he already is. Considering what he will probably say between then and now, the convention in July is going to be very interesting....

Honestly I think the GOP has no options here whatsoever, they are cornered and panicked and out of options. Gonna be interesting if they just make like the rabbits in Watership Down and "go tharn" (become completely immobilized by the fear of a predator) rather than put up a fight of some sort.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

If Trump thinks aircraft carriers cost one million dollars, that proves he's a terrible real estate mogul, because he should have investigated the feasibility of buying some and parking them in the bay, and renting out the rooms to San Francisco hipsters and tech bros.

I, too, would like to live in Snow Crash

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

The Larch posted:

How long is it going to take for you to grasp that you are literally the only person in this thread that gives the slightest gently caress about this poo poo?

e: Pretend I quoted BetterToRuleInHell here.

WampaLord posted:

You guys really get angry at the silliest stuff, I swear.

Laughing at non-Trump related stuff is ok too. Calm down!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Here's the actual news link, but yes 49 people were shot this past weekend in Chicago and 7 died.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/42-people-shot-7-killed-in-chicago-weekend-violence/1383393/

Look at the person who posted it's comment.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

gently caress, this is a beautiful confluence of idiotic college students and safe spaces (or LGBTQ and BLM, it's a lot really):

I want to make a joke about all this but the reality itself is the punchline

College kids are idiots who think they fully understand the world after learning a bit about it, news at 11.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Laughing at non-Trump related stuff is ok too. Calm down!

I'll be more than happy to laugh when you post something genuinely funny, but I doubt that will happen.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

If my hypothesis is correct then Trump will react to Networks trying to pre-empt his speeches by doiung something that he thinks will force them to pay attention to him.

How long until Trump tweets a selfie of his own dick?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Prester Jane posted:

Honestly I think the GOP has no options here whatsoever, they are cornered and panicked and out of options. Gonna be interesting if they just make like the rabbits in Watership Down and "go tharn" (become completely immobilized by the fear of a predator) rather than put up a fight of some sort.

The Black Rabbit of Inle was orange the whole time.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Epic High Five posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaat

Oh man Trump hosed that up enough for people to start planning on ousting him at the RNC I bet. A big terror attack sweeping him into office is the scenario that has a lot of the GOP tepidly supporting him. If not even that will help...

Ousting Trump at the convention is a dangerous strategy, but letting him campaign until november is also dangerous. There's no good state coming out of the convention, going forward to the GOP is such a huge question mark.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Ousting Trump at the convention is a dangerous strategy, but letting him campaign until november is also dangerous. There's no good state coming out of the convention, going forward to the GOP is such a huge question mark.

The only way they get out of it is if Trump has a total meltdown and voluntarily walks away before the convention. That is possible but not very likely.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MariusLecter posted:

Putin's nuclear is tippy top? Seriously?

We must close the missile gap.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

WampaLord posted:

I'll be more than happy to laugh when you post something genuinely funny, but I doubt that will happen.

How about this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/743075154507489280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I want more armed guards patrolling to catch criminal scum than less guns

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

This is a very good idea and is directed at a very specific thing which is rare when talking about gun legislation.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

PerniciousKnid posted:

Can't we ban based on capability, like "no guns that can fire more than one bullet per second" or something?
You can fire revolvers from the 1800s faster than that.

In short, firing rate isn't an area where you're going to see success in legislation, because of how semi-automatic weapons work - they take a portion of the energy created to load another round into the gun. Guns are actually very, very simple machines, and there's not an easy way to slow firing rate without adding additional steps for a person to do between shots, which is going to be really really unpopular.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 15, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Deteriorata posted:

The only way they get out of it is if Trump has a total meltdown and voluntarily walks away before the convention. That is possible but not very likely.

Trump will rather die than give up his shot at being the Biggest Man.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Deteriorata posted:

even then that seems catastrophic because he carries the favor of a huge part of the electorate and effectively can't make an endorsement. He's increasingly whittling the GOP down to it's worst elements and most ungovernable elements. Even if Trump dropped dead tomorrow the GOP would still be hosed because they have utterly and completely lost the culture war. Even if he was dead I don't think candidates would be able to co-opt his message, it's just too toxic for the general.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Based on what I am seeing in raction to this I think Donald Trump is something of a "political Pearl Harbor", in that he is rousing the sleeping giant that is the American public when it is even remotely unified. Trump is rapidly turning the GOP into the enemy of America itself in the eyes of the general public. Everyone from American media to the US Senate are suddenly uniting against Trump/the GOP, and although the unity will probably only last until this election season is over, it is still really something to see.

What I'm saying is, I think the American public is viewing the GOP itself as a threat to their comfortable existence, and traditionally America does not react well to someone that threatens that.

I think that at this point the GOP really needs to admit to itself that it is facing its own personal Kobayashi Maru scenario. There is no winning here, there is not even any surviving here. The GOP will be dead as a political institution by the end of this election season, they honestly have no way of even surviving this. The only thing they can control ius exactly how they meet their end and how history will remember the final few leaders of the GOP. (Ryan, McConnel, Priebus, etc) Will they be remembered as sociopaths that were willing to sell out every ideal they hel;d as long as they thought it meant tax cuts for the rich? Or will they be remembered as the people who happened to be in charge of a ship when it sank and did the best they could to minimize the loss of life?

I think all of us here are cynical enough to instantly expect the GOP to follow the first path, but every so often people can surprise you with how they choose to face a no-win scenario.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Is the joke that Donald Trump thinks Breitbart is a legitimate news organization?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

theflyingorc posted:

You can fire revolvers from the 1800s faster than that.

The first semi automatic gun I know of was from the 1600s with a wheel lock and would actually deposit powder and a ball from magazines with each trigger pull. Of course each one was hand-built and crazy expensive.

So the "oh , the Constitution is old muskets only LOL" argument kind of doesn't work.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 15, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

theflyingorc posted:

Banning configuration is a dumb tactic, agreed. For examples on why it's a bad idea, if you don't know about this stuff already, here are some configurations that have been designed to get around California's AR-15 configuration bans:

Here's the details. Basically you can't have a functioning magazine and have common accessories on the AR at the same time. So people have come up with all kinds of "not technically banned" add ons.

More fun examples: Short Barrel Rifles. Having a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches, and in some states an overall length less than 26 inches from butt to the end of the barrel, is prohibited without registering your rifle with the ATF via a form 1. That costs $200 for a tax stamp and takes anywhere from 4 to 12 months depending on how busy the ATF are.

This is not an SBR:

Nor is this:

And again, nope:

Those are all pistols. They do not have butt stocks on them. Oh, what are those things in the first and third images? Not butt stocks. No really. At least as long as you don't shoulder them.

Another fun one: The lower receiver. The lower receiver for an AR style rifle is legally the "gun" itself. Everything else is just add ons.

This is not a lower receiver:

Specifically that is an 80% lower receiver that the ATF views as not legally a gun yet. 80% of the work being done is apparently the level at which the ATF has determined the lower receiver still isn't a gun yet. All you need to do though is buy some jigs (conveniently available on the same sites) and a drill press or milling machine and you can make your own working (but most likely lovely) AR lower.

And to finish off with the M1 garand discussion earlier: The part that will be defined the gun is just the receiver. That heavy wood stock, the heavy barrel, the extra components that could be made lighter, will all be swapped out for newer components that make it effectively the same as an AR-15 again.

Examples:

Banning anything based on configuration is just bunk. It'll be worked around. If you are still hopeful enough to go for anything, you need to go for either changing or removing the 2nd amendment all together. It's either got to be something as broad as banning any and all semi-automatic weapons or just removing ownership all together.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:eyepop:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

WampaLord posted:

Is the joke that Donald Trump thinks Breitbart is a legitimate news organization?

He hasn't revoked their press privileges so they must treat him fairly, which is the only reason a media outlet is considered legitimate in Trump's mind.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

WampaLord posted:

More like, Trump doubling down on the Obama = secret muslim thing

I'm a comedy equals tragedy plus time kind of guy so maybe the humor isn't as apparent

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Exactly, all you have to do is the gun equivalent of "Oh no, this is a water pipe, only for use with tobacco, not a bong at all!"

There's no reason to make law which pretends that silencers work like they do in Goldeneye.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ComradeCosmobot posted:

We must close the missile gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LF6aBoxLg

Expect this from Trump soon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Crain posted:

Banning configuration is a dumb tactic, agreed. For examples on why it's a bad idea, if you don't know about this stuff already, here are some configurations that have been designed to get around California's AR-15 configuration bans:

Here's the details. Basically you can't have a functioning magazine and have common accessories on the AR at the same time. So people have come up with all kinds of "not technically banned" add ons.

More fun examples: Short Barrel Rifles. Having a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches, and in some states an overall length less than 26 inches from butt to the end of the barrel, is prohibited without registering your rifle with the ATF via a form 1. That costs $200 for a tax stamp and takes anywhere from 4 to 12 months depending on how busy the ATF are.

This is not an SBR:

Nor is this:

And again, nope:

Those are all pistols. They do not have butt stocks on them. Oh, what are those things in the first and third images? Not butt stocks. No really. At least as long as you don't shoulder them.

Another fun one: The lower receiver. The lower receiver for an AR style rifle is legally the "gun" itself. Everything else is just add ons.

This is not a lower receiver:

Specifically that is an 80% lower receiver that the ATF views as not legally a gun yet. 80% of the work being done is apparently the level at which the ATF has determined the lower receiver still isn't a gun yet. All you need to do though is buy some jigs (conveniently available on the same sites) and a drill press or milling machine and you can make your own working (but most likely lovely) AR lower.

And to finish off with the M1 garand discussion earlier: The part that will be defined the gun is just the receiver. That heavy wood stock, the heavy barrel, the extra components that could be made lighter, will all be swapped out for newer components that make it effectively the same as an AR-15 again.

Examples:

Banning anything based on configuration is just bunk. It'll be worked around. If you are still hopeful enough to go for anything, you need to go for either changing or removing the 2nd amendment all together. It's either got to be something as broad as banning any and all semi-automatic weapons or just removing ownership all together.

This is a good post and really interesting . More examples please.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yep, buyback and ban magazine fed semi automatic firearms and call it a day. And before LetoJokerBro concerns trolls at me, I know this isn't feasible at this exact point in time.

Also, gently caress Ezra Klein.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 15, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
A little mix of games and politics:

https://twitter.com/shannondorf_/status/742756817353248768/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Yungoos = Yuge?

#notmypokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aw, I was hoping that would be Buck Turgidson.

• Locked thread