Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
For the people here who had (for whatever reason - I am not judging) their credit history trashed: were you able to get insurance (car, etc.) at reasonable rates? I heard that if your credit is really bad your premiums will absolutely skyrocket to levels even higher than for a person with a DUI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

For the people here who had (for whatever reason - I am not judging) their credit history trashed: were you able to get insurance (car, etc.) at reasonable rates? I heard that if your credit is really bad your premiums will absolutely skyrocket to levels even higher than for a person with a DUI!

Person with bad credit here : I have a clean driving record with zero tickets or claims. I've never paid over $90 dollars a month for insurance and I am a 28 year old white male.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Skoll posted:

Person with bad credit here : I have a clean driving record with zero tickets or claims. I've never paid over $90 dollars a month for insurance and I am a 28 year old white male.

If you don't mind me asking what provider do you use?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm not that guy, but credit unions offer nice insurance, they saved me 1/3 or more. I kept throwing their letters out saying, "can't be much cheaper" you even get an advocate to take care of the messy details.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

If you don't mind me asking what provider do you use?

Geico.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I've heard fairly good things about using Geico if you don't have a good credit record. Almost all carriers look at credit but some weigh much more on a safe driving record.

That's also a really good hint about a credit union too!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I should mention I only pay the absolute basics as well. As my car is near 20 years old, it's not worth anything more than basic PIP.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

I have Progressive and pay $45/month for bare bones coverage (I drive an '05 Camry).

28, male clean driving record, at the time I signed up for it my credit score was low 500s.

I'm not sure that they even did a credit check? Apparently they do.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I had some unemployment, a credit card didn't get paid, it got charged off, and I just found out that despite on my report it being charged off, they're STILL dinging my credit every month. I'm having trouble finding information on what exactly to do about that; it seems to be actionable in some way but I can't tell if there's something I can do other than sending the standard dispute letter. Has anyone dealt with this before and have any specific advice?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Boten Anna posted:

I had some unemployment, a credit card didn't get paid, it got charged off, and I just found out that despite on my report it being charged off, they're STILL dinging my credit every month.

That is how credit works.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

revmoo posted:

That is how credit works.

No they're not supposed to do that. The account was charged off, which is a final state. They're not supposed to keep reporting every month past that, the person who ran my report noted that it was strange, and some googling around shows that this creditor is known to do this, some even claiming it's "credit poisoning" and that it's illegal (though as nothing specific such as a law section was cited, I have my doubts that's true) but it at the very least disproportionately negatively effects credit scores.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I thought that was normal. US Bank did it to me for a few years (I HAD paid the card off and closed it over the phone, but there was a small final balance they never issued a statement for... Fuckers) until I pulled my credit, saw it, and paid it. Its now off my credit history.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Boten Anna posted:

No they're not supposed to do that. The account was charged off, which is a final state. They're not supposed to keep reporting every month past that, the person who ran my report noted that it was strange, and some googling around shows that this creditor is known to do this, some even claiming it's "credit poisoning" and that it's illegal (though as nothing specific such as a law section was cited, I have my doubts that's true) but it at the very least disproportionately negatively effects credit scores.

I'm a little confused. Do you expect this charge off to disappear from your credit report? Because that's not how it works.

If they're re-aging it every month then yes, they are doing something wrong (but you didn't say they were).

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
They are 100% allowed to update the current state every month

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kase Im Licht posted:

They are 100% allowed to update the current state every month

There's a very specific definition for re-aging. There's a difference between updating an account and re-aging it (illegally).

An account can legally be re-aged if you agree to pay or make partial payment, however it's otherwise illegal to mis-represent the original date of delinquency.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

So what would be the date of delinquency for something like medical collections? If you had a bill from 2009 but they don't place it in collection until 2015 (or it doesn't show up on your report until then), which is the correct date?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I think they're re-aging it? Still trying to figure out what's going on most precisely, but it's still unusual and not how it's supposed to work; I'm pretty sure this (very large and common bank that has samuel l jackson as their spokesperson probably) does it as a way to intimidate people into paying because of how badly it fucks up your credit report. I'm hoping, though we'll see how it goes, that it's a discrepancy that will lead to it being removed from my report entirely, and while it's a dick move I'll be honest, if I was them I'd totally do the same as the people who bother to challenge it and get it written off is probably nothing compared to how many people it intimidates into paying.

I ended up signing up with a good credit repair service who I'm sure will handle it, if I get more information about this, especially if it does lead to a removal, I'll update especially for the DIY-inclined.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
So I just got a call from Transworld which is apparently scum of the earth if this link is accurate:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/debt/transworld-systems-collection-agency.html

I let it go straight to voicemail and haven't called back. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Should I call back before mailing a letter? If I can find the address, that is..

As far as I know I shouldn't have any outstanding debts. I've only dealt with debt collections once and it was a legit company so I am pretty nervous right now!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

So I just got a call from Transworld which is apparently scum of the earth if this link is accurate:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/debt/transworld-systems-collection-agency.html

I let it go straight to voicemail and haven't called back. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Should I call back before mailing a letter? If I can find the address, that is..

As far as I know I shouldn't have any outstanding debts. I've only dealt with debt collections once and it was a legit company so I am pretty nervous right now!

Holy poo poo based off these reports I would not talk to them ever. From the research I've been doing it sounds like the best way to handle them is a dispute letter that they won't reply to properly which is then grounds for removal from your credit report. If they're harassing you, you might actually be able to sue them and make money if you're so inclined, there's some good info here about what they legally can and cannot do and what you absolutely should not do: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/creditorharassment.shtml

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Boten Anna posted:

A charge-off is an accounting requirement triggered by a certain period of delinquency, after which the account will normally go into collection. Are you sure your account isn't just in collection?

A charge-off isn't "final" in any way. The creditor can still try to collect from you, have someone else do it on their behalf, or even sue you to pursue a judgment.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just wanted to thank you folks for the information on the car insurance rates - I really appreciate it.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Boten Anna posted:

Holy poo poo based off these reports I would not talk to them ever. From the research I've been doing it sounds like the best way to handle them is a dispute letter that they won't reply to properly which is then grounds for removal from your credit report. If they're harassing you, you might actually be able to sue them and make money if you're so inclined, there's some good info here about what they legally can and cannot do and what you absolutely should not do: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/creditorharassment.shtml

Thanks so much! I really didn't want to talk to them if I didn't have to.. sounds like a nightmare.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I haven't heard anything about my lawsuit against Calvary since last summer. Last communication was a Discovery that I received and replied to. Last week I received a notice to attend a status conference next month. I'm assuming this is where any pre-trial agreements could happen, and/or summary judgments or settlements?

I probably should have just hired an attorney, but the debt is barely over $1k and they provided next to nothing in their Discovery. I'm guessing they have shoddy bookkeeping and not much of a leg to stand on, but because I am representing myself they see me as an easy target.

Any advice or kind words?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lblitzer posted:

So I haven't heard anything about my lawsuit against Calvary since last summer. Last communication was a Discovery that I received and replied to. Last week I received a notice to attend a status conference next month. I'm assuming this is where any pre-trial agreements could happen, and/or summary judgments or settlements?

I probably should have just hired an attorney, but the debt is barely over $1k and they provided next to nothing in their Discovery. I'm guessing they have shoddy bookkeeping and not much of a leg to stand on, but because I am representing myself they see me as an easy target.

Any advice or kind words?

Has the company filed any sort of response or appearance to the summons?

Have you checked the secretary of state's website in their state to confirm they're a real business?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Boten Anna posted:

I think they're re-aging it? Still trying to figure out what's going on most precisely, but it's still unusual and not how it's supposed to work; I'm pretty sure this (very large and common bank that has samuel l jackson as their spokesperson probably) does it as a way to intimidate people into paying because of how badly it fucks up your credit report. I'm hoping, though we'll see how it goes, that it's a discrepancy that will lead to it being removed from my report entirely, and while it's a dick move I'll be honest, if I was them I'd totally do the same as the people who bother to challenge it and get it written off is probably nothing compared to how many people it intimidates into paying.

I ended up signing up with a good credit repair service who I'm sure will handle it, if I get more information about this, especially if it does lead to a removal, I'll update especially for the DIY-inclined.
If you legitimately owe the money, there's not much you can do to remove it from your credit report. A charge-off just means the original creditor wrote it off their books. It doesn't mean that it vanishes from your credit report. The whole point of a credit report is for creditors to tell if you paid your previous debts. If you could just not pay your debts and have it not show up on your credit report, credit reports would be completely loving useless.

Also, be careful with credit repair services. They promise the moon, but can't do any more for you than you can do for yourself following the OP.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

revmoo posted:

Has the company filed any sort of response or appearance to the summons?

Have you checked the secretary of state's website in their state to confirm they're a real business?

I'm not sure exactly. I was handed a summons last year around this time and answered to it. It was followed up by a Discovery and I submitted my Answer and everything. Cue last week I finally get a letter from my county court office of a notice to attend a status conference.

The company is Cavalry Portfolio Services, looks like they're legit and have a sketchy history of debt lawsuits.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

If you legitimately owe the money, there's not much you can do to remove it from your credit report. A charge-off just means the original creditor wrote it off their books. It doesn't mean that it vanishes from your credit report. The whole point of a credit report is for creditors to tell if you paid your previous debts. If you could just not pay your debts and have it not show up on your credit report, credit reports would be completely loving useless.

Also, be careful with credit repair services. They promise the moon, but can't do any more for you than you can do for yourself following the OP.

It's that they keep dinging it over and over again, not that it's there in the first place.

There's other stuff on there that I do need to challenge; I doubt that I can do much to get this fairly recent item removed (though it doesn't hurt to try). I'm under no delusions that the service will do anything magical, as they just send verification letters and the like, but I know myself and how bad I am at following up on paperwork of this nature when I have to navigate it myself, so it's worth the cost to have a navigator.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Boten Anna posted:

It's that they keep dinging it over and over again, not that it's there in the first place.

There's other stuff on there that I do need to challenge; I doubt that I can do much to get this fairly recent item removed (though it doesn't hurt to try). I'm under no delusions that the service will do anything magical, as they just send verification letters and the like, but I know myself and how bad I am at following up on paperwork of this nature when I have to navigate it myself, so it's worth the cost to have a navigator.

Please explain what specifically you mean by "dinging"

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

revmoo posted:

Please explain what specifically you mean by "dinging"

They keep updating it every month, rather than just leaving it as a charge-off. It's the continual updates that are unusual, not that it's there in the first place.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Boten Anna posted:

They keep updating it every month, rather than just leaving it as a charge-off. It's the continual updates that are unusual, not that it's there in the first place.

You're still not being specific. Look, here is a credit tradeline:

Specifically which of these fields are they updating every month?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

revmoo posted:

You're still not being specific. Look, here is a credit tradeline:

Specifically which of these fields are they updating every month?

It's whatever this is:

Despite being charged off for several months, they keep adding this. I have not talked or interacted with them in any way.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything I just really don't know exactly what it's called :shobon:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Alright, it's just about go time on a suit.

If you were going to sue someone for FDCPA violations, would it be better to:
A: send a letter with a couple brief examples of their violations, remind of the previous class suits and that it's cheaper to pay $1000 than it will be to pay for the violation, my lawyer, and court costs
B: send a letter saying they've broken the law and they can pay now when it's cheaper
C: Just file the lawsuit in my home small claims court and wait for them to call me
D: other???

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Boten Anna posted:

It's whatever this is:

Despite being charged off for several months, they keep adding this. I have not talked or interacted with them in any way.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything I just really don't know exactly what it's called :shobon:

They're probably just confirming that the account remains in collections. Some collection agencies or creditors will do that every month (as looks to be your case), while others might wait a while unless the status changes. It shouldn't matter either way for your credit score, I don't believe.

Edit: In which case, your entries would be for the "Date Reported" field in revmoo's image. That is nothing unusual for a collector to report every month.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 24, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

NancyPants posted:

Alright, it's just about go time on a suit.

If you were going to sue someone for FDCPA violations, would it be better to:
A: send a letter with a couple brief examples of their violations, remind of the previous class suits and that it's cheaper to pay $1000 than it will be to pay for the violation, my lawyer, and court costs
B: send a letter saying they've broken the law and they can pay now when it's cheaper
C: Just file the lawsuit in my home small claims court and wait for them to call me
D: other???

Google for FDCPA lawyer and give them your info and let them handle it and call you six months later with a check.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I have a bit of a situation that I'm hoping to get some advice on. I was recently contacted by a third-party debt collector about a medical debt. I sent them a debt verification letter and their reply looks legit enough. They sent a copy of a financial statement with the amount originally owed, plus an outside collections fee. The numbers add up to what they are asking for. I did go to this doctor's office, but I never received a bill. I just contacted the insurance that I had at the time, and they said they will still pay it. There is some form that I was supposed to fill out before they pay anything that I apparently never sent in.

So what is my course of action here? The insurance company, that I am not with anymore, covers 90% of the original bill, so I would still owe the remaining 10%. That's fine by me, but what is my next step with the debt collector? Or should I stop communicating with them, and try to settle it with original office? If so, should I still be pursuing some kind of pay-for-delete clause? I would really prefer to be done with the whole thing. I'm just not sure how to go about it in a way that clears it from my history and has every party satisfied.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
After a bit more research, and since I want to squash this thing sooner rather than later, I'm thinking about calling the doctor's office billing department and asking them if I get the insurance to pay up, and I pay the remainder of the original debt, will they call off their dogs and delete the debt.

The only problems I could see with this plan is that everyone recommends keeping communication to written mail. Also, that somehow by calling the billing department, that would count as an admission that the debt is mine. Everyone seems to recommended against that as well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I recently got a letter from an attorneys office saying that they were attempting to collect a debt from the college I attended many years ago. I had never seen a bill for this before so I sent a debt validation letter certified mail and waited. About 2 months later I got back a statement explaining the charges they are attempting to collect on. Most of them are for parking tickets that I allegedly got, I had a parking pass when I attended so I dont know or dont remember how I would've gotten these. Then there were some collection charges added to it as well and some tuition I apparently didnt pay. How I wouldnt have paid I dont know because I got my student loans through the school which went right to them and I went for several semesters after that, you'd think they wouldnt let me keep attending if I owed from a prior semester.

All told with collection fees its around $1200. I honestly dont believe I owe this. I researched the law firm and it is a legitimate law firm and doesnt appear to be a straight debt collecting company. These fees and parking tickets are from 7 years ago as well. With how long it has been, and how long it took the company to "verify" the debt what are my options here? I'm planning on just sending another certified return receipt required letter stating that I still dispute the fees and to leave me alone.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
$1200 in parking tickets? Is that you Elwood?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

$1200 in parking tickets? Is that you Elwood?

Yeah I was flabbergasted! I mean I would have gotten these alleged parking tickets my second semester and yet they still somehow allowed me to continue going to school and getting parking permits without paying what I supposedly owed.

The charges are 100% mistaken. I just want to make sure that I've taken the right steps to protect myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
As long as it's not appearing on credit, one single C&D/dispute letter with a return receipt is all you need. Ignore them if they mail anything else out in the future.

In your letter, make sure to address:

- Statute of limitations (unless you live in my state, this thing is way past)
- Contact in writing only
- Dispute in full. Address their "proof" specifically and provide a defense ("stdh fuckers!")
- If challenged in court you will look forward to "providing a vigorous defense" or some other puffery

If they call, sue, or put anything on your credit that will be the time to take further action. Otherwise just mail off the letter and don't worry about it.