Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

Are support brigades worth the org loss? I put engineers on everything and artillery or AT here and there but I'm not convinced it's actually better than just having higher org. The org loss isn't too bad per brigade but it starts to add up.

It's situational. A lot of people seem to be putting support artillery into infantry divisions, but I feel like this is a waste when you already have towed artillery with them. Same with AT and AA.

I feel that you should consider what the division is going to be for and tailor your supports for that: engineers are going to be vital on defensive divisions because of the huge entrenchment bonuses, and useful for marines and mountaineers because they stack the terrain bonuses, but they'll be kind of useless on tank divisions who will mainly be doing offensive pushes across flat ground. Meanwhile, support artillery and AT/AA are redundant with infantry as mentioned above, but very useful for paratroopers who can't take towed equipment of any kind. Likewise they're a cheaper alternative to SP artillery for tank or motor divisions who want to hold on to their mobility. Recon companies are pretty useful all around although I generally feel they're more offensive than defensive in nature (tactical advantage isn't as important if you've got entrenchment and defender terrain bonuses).

Logistics companies will be useful for anyone in low infrastructure theatres like Africa or Siberia, but kind of useless elsewhere. I'm not really sure how important maintenance companies are - they basically counter attrition but if you aren't taking significant attrition I don't know if reliability matters. Signal companies get your divisions to plan faster and reinforce faster, so useful on offensive infantry who might be coming in to back up tank/motor offenses. MPs you can just slap on cavalry and garrison them in high resistance states - honestly the cavalry alone is probably sufficient but it's not like it really costs much more to stick MPs with them just in case.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has Paradox AI development moved beyond spaghetti code of if-else trees? I remember in Hoi2 when I was modding it the code was kinda just a massive if tree of "Is it 1936? Is it 1937? Are we at war with the US? Have we taken 80% of our phase 1 war goals?" Etc etc.

National Focuses have replaced events/decisions and they're hierarchical trees. There's a little bit of 'you can only activate this focus if you have x many men and are not at war' but the fact that you only have access to a certain Focus if you've unlocked the predecessor means that there's nothing like the ridiculous IF-ELSE tables that flowed over the tooltip spaces like there was in HOI3.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Raenir Salazar posted:

You jest of course but I would love to see NN's expanding their scope to go beyond chess/go.

Not entirely jesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCP7jMXSY2xbc3KCAE0MHQ-A?videos

And many of those examples (aside from AlphaGo) are from just pixel-input.

You could do quite a bit exposing the innards of the game and just training neutral nets over millions of games. And could change the game development/rules systems to be more ML-friendly as well (which might also help simplify it for understandings by players). HoI, as a HoI-newbie, feels like it has a lot of needless complexity.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I really wish there was a way to dump old equipment. I know I can lend lease it away, but I often have so much of it stockpiled, it would take forever to get rid of it. Seriously, why is there no way to just delete it and be done with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

alcaras posted:

Not entirely jesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCP7jMXSY2xbc3KCAE0MHQ-A?videos

And many of those examples (aside from AlphaGo) are from just pixel-input.

You could do quite a bit exposing the innards of the game and just training neutral nets over millions of games. And could change the game development/rules systems to be more ML-friendly as well (which might also help simplify it for understandings by players). HoI, as a HoI-newbie, feels like it has a lot of needless complexity.

You're link doesn't seem to work and I don't youtube good enough to know how to fix it myself. :(

The thing about NN's I look forward to is maybe having an AI that learns from playing against you well enough to adapt to you pulling gamey poo poo and reacts to what you do; maybe with certain limits; like it doesn't just have the whole world conspire against you from the get go in a personal vendetta to force you to lose. :D

Then, Comedy option; every time to connect to steam it updates some central AI with its play experiences against you giving you the option to try facing the "global" AI that's played a million games against human players for the impossible challenge of it.

I dunno enough about NN's to know how feasible it is, I imagine ideally you have a separate AI per nation; pretty hilarious if the AI independently decides your bad enough that it has to carry you.

Can NN's create a bot that can pass the Turing Test? Additional hilarity could be had if they could send you simple chat messages and suddenly it starts being passive aggressive with how bad you are.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP7jMXSY2xbc3KCAE0MHQ-A/videos

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks Kaza42; SA garbled the link somehow (I think it thought it was a video link and tried changing it to an embed, instead of realizing it was a playlist link).

@Raenir Salazar: You can do all sorts of fun things with NN. You could build a NN to just optimize one aspect of the game (e.g. production) and then link multiple NNs together. I don't know if Paradox is using NNs at all in their AI, but they should if they're not. Lots of cool things you can do with NN :D

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mackintosh posted:

I really wish there was a way to dump old equipment. I know I can lend lease it away, but I often have so much of it stockpiled, it would take forever to get rid of it. Seriously, why is there no way to just delete it and be done with it.

A scapping system where you can get some resources from it would be nice.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

The thing about NN's I look forward to is maybe having an AI that learns from playing against you well enough to adapt to you pulling gamey poo poo and reacts to what you do; maybe with certain limits; like it doesn't just have the whole world conspire against you from the get go in a personal vendetta to force you to lose. :D

One thing that seems like it would be a lot of fun, and doable on modern hardware, is to have persistent AI players. At the start, you would have just regular AI controlling all non-player stuff as normal. But then, as you play it saves some of the AI instances you play against. That Britain that launched an invasion of Italy and nearly ruined your plans? It's now ChapBot, and you can assign it to play any AI nation in your games, and it will keep learning. Did you beat it with tanks last game? It knows you like tanks, and will integrate more AT assets next time. Are you a huge fan of air warfare? It remembers facing down your planes, and next game it will build more fighters or AA assets. It wouldn't have to be any smarter than current AI, just have a save file of various modifiers or weights. Paradox is great at emergent narratives, so giving a name to rear end in a top hat France and have it actively undermine your favorite strategies would make it even better. Of course, you can flip a switch to turn it off in the options if you're boring and prefer vanilla AI at all times.

Basically, more games should take their cues from Shadow of Morder's nemesis system is what I'm saying. That was the best.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is it still possible to edit a savegame using text files? I get gibberish when I try.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You need to extract the save first using winrar or 7zip.

Kaza42 posted:

One thing that seems like it would be a lot of fun, and doable on modern hardware, is to have persistent AI players. At the start, you would have just regular AI controlling all non-player stuff as normal. But then, as you play it saves some of the AI instances you play against. That Britain that launched an invasion of Italy and nearly ruined your plans? It's now ChapBot, and you can assign it to play any AI nation in your games, and it will keep learning. Did you beat it with tanks last game? It knows you like tanks, and will integrate more AT assets next time. Are you a huge fan of air warfare? It remembers facing down your planes, and next game it will build more fighters or AA assets. It wouldn't have to be any smarter than current AI, just have a save file of various modifiers or weights. Paradox is great at emergent narratives, so giving a name to rear end in a top hat France and have it actively undermine your favorite strategies would make it even better. Of course, you can flip a switch to turn it off in the options if you're boring and prefer vanilla AI at all times.

Basically, more games should take their cues from Shadow of Morder's nemesis system is what I'm saying. That was the best.

Yeah more games need to integrate surprises. I love the idea of going so far as to give the AI a name and being able to assign them randomly or otherwise.

I figure though you could probably cloud store the hash table/dna/seed of the latest AI iteration.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I paradropped 12 paratroopers onto a city and after a 2 second battle with the garrison the entire army disappeared from existence!

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it still possible to edit a savegame using text files? I get gibberish when I try.

HoI's save game format seems to be the format previously only used for ironman saves in previous Paradox games, so no, not yet.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Go to documents/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron IV/settings and change save_as_binary=yes' to 'save_as_binary=no'. Then you can open it with an editor, preferably something like notepad++

In that same vein: you can change a game to or from ironman by editing the ironman= line to either not exist or point to a save file. My ironman japan run saw the fascist USA I had spent the whole game setting up bug out just as I was helping them win the civil war so I edited that poo poo

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Eskaton posted:

You know you're on SA when people actually enjoy insufferable spergs.

What did it for me was his Victoria 2 blind play.

He seemed to be absolutely clueless about a few basic events in his own country's history.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

THE PWNER posted:

I paradropped 12 paratroopers onto a city and after a 2 second battle with the garrison the entire army disappeared from existence!
This can happen if you don't produce enough parachutes.

slavatuvs posted:

He seemed to be absolutely clueless about a few basic events in his own country's history.
Any examples?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Reminds me of Age of Empires 3, where the AIs would trash talk you based on your last match with them.

No gameplay effects, but having on go "Oh reducing the difficulty are you?:smug:" when you started up a round was cool

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

slavatuvs posted:

He knows jack about World War II too. I got a spergy twitch in my eye when he casually referred to Rommel as "this guy". But that's not quite enough to fill me with the hateful disdain a lot of folks seem to have for him. He's a guy playing video games on youtube for fucks sake.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It also could be a nice fuhrer mana sink after, like, '42.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

For those watching the hoi 4 multiplier stream from paradox. Is Arumba really this much of a prick?

Sorry if this reponse is late but yes. I have been screaming about this since he started playing HoI4.

He is 100% incompetent, doesn't take advise, never reads tooltips and gets mad when something doesn't work, is obviously fixable with chat telling him how to fix it.

He is also poo poo at this game. Plays USA in MP, does not build a single plane or carrier and then invades Africa with all of his 22 divions by 1937.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

Paratroopers start with basically 0 organization when they land. Dropping any amount of paratroopers onto any amount of enemies divison is like putting them against a wall and shooting them yourself.

They gain oganisation quickly after they landed, so they are suited for circling the enemy in.

Basically: Only land in empty regions.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

A scapping system where you can get some resources from it would be nice.

Since you can no longer stockpile resources that makes little sense.

There are probably two design decisions in HoI 4 that I'm a bit iffy about, the rest is really clever and shows a good coherent structure. Design wise the game blows HoI 3 out of the water.

One is the lack of a easily understandable currency that can serve as a baseline reward for anything. Political power kinda is it, and civilian factories also kind of are it, but neither really works as a reward that doesn't have its use predetermined.

The other is the lack of an international arms trade, which would go very, very well with the equipment system. By comparison the volunteers system has pretty much two major historical precedents (Spanish Civil war and the American Volunteer Group in China), while countries were buying and selling arms left right and center before and during the war. But that is such an obvious expansion feature that I'm not too worried about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mackintosh posted:

Why would you want to? Your units will always use the most current equipment available so it's not like they'll be grabbing lovely WW1 era weapons when you've got a bunch of modern stuff available. And if you don't have modern stuff available, using old stuff is better than no equipment at all.

ArchangeI posted:

The other is the lack of an international arms trade, which would go very, very well with the equipment system. By comparison the volunteers system has pretty much two major historical precedents (Spanish Civil war and the American Volunteer Group in China), while countries were buying and selling arms left right and center before and during the war. But that is such an obvious expansion feature that I'm not too worried about it.

Yeah I wish you could request lend lease instead of just offering it. The US has tons of industrial capacity but rarely seems to offer materiel help to anyone.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I wish you could request lend lease instead of just offering it. The US has tons of industrial capacity but rarely seems to offer materiel help to anyone.

Hey america! Glad you could join us. Dont suppose you have some fighters I could use? Tanks? .... rifles? anything at all :negative:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Is there a way to spur my allies into actually doing something? Venezuela was really helpful with conquering South America but now that I"m moving north they have 70 loving divisions just sitting there in their territory doing nothing. I suspect it's something to do with the 150-strong British fleet in the Caribbean Sea, but they could, ya know, walk up here.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Why would you want to? Your units will always use the most current equipment available so it's not like they'll be grabbing lovely WW1 era weapons when you've got a bunch of modern stuff available. And if you don't have modern stuff available, using old stuff is better than no equipment at all.

Because I only want to have the latest equipment on hand. I don't want hundreds of old planes, tanks and weapons hanging around and finding their way into my divisions and air groups. Besides, who cares what my motivation is anyway, there should be a way to scrap old poo poo, because there's a way to scrap everything else in this drat game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
For those asking about the AI mod that Redditor was talking about making, he uploaded it here.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This can happen if you don't produce enough parachutes.

Any examples?

Not knowing when the civil war started.

Trying to find Bolivia in Europe.

There are a lot more

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Re: Arumba

The man is clearly insane on some level, he puts out 6-10 videos every day and also streams. I didn't find out that he was a bit of a oval office until i caught a stream, but the sheer number of videos he flooded me made me unsub ages ago. But yeah, i honestly think he has some mental problems.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Raenir Salazar posted:

You're link doesn't seem to work and I don't youtube good enough to know how to fix it myself. :(

Then, Comedy option; every time to connect to steam it updates some central AI with its play experiences against you giving you the option to try facing the "global" AI that's played a million games against human players for the impossible challenge of it.

I dunno enough about NN's to know how feasible it is, I imagine ideally you have a separate AI per nation; pretty hilarious if the AI independently decides your bad enough that it has to carry you.

Can NN's create a bot that can pass the Turing Test? Additional hilarity could be had if they could send you simple chat messages and suddenly it starts being passive aggressive with how bad you are.

If you could make something that could actually analyze a game state and make an effective judgement you would hardly need neural nets to make that into something useful because you would have done a very very complex task and something almost impossible to make an AI do well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

slavatuvs posted:

Not knowing when the civil war started.
Look, we can't all remember the minutiae of history.

Dongattack posted:

Re: Arumba

The man is clearly insane on some level, he puts out 6-10 videos every day and also streams. I didn't find out that he was a bit of a oval office until i caught a stream, but the sheer number of videos he flooded me made me unsub ages ago. But yeah, i honestly think he has some mental problems.
It's called a job. Geesh.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Look, we can't all remember the minutiae of history.

It's called a job. Geesh.

How dare he record a bunch of videos every single day when people pay him to. You're a monster.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
who the gently caress cares

there are stupid people on youtube let it go?????????

?????

?

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
Youtube is all about making GBS threads out tons and tons and tons of videos because of the way $$$ for videos works, hard to blame someone for that

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
My Sweden game is doing good. I now have dropped 4 nukes on the UK. The Royal Family is now missing, but Churchill is a live. 1946 the year that Swedish Jet Fighter planes and bombers rained death on England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDL2Mg-uerk

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
why

this is actually ruining my game

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
If they are your puppet demand their forces.

If they are your ally accept the forces they offer to send.

Also personally, just realised that if you trade with a puppet they essentially give you resources for free, ie, it costs no factories.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Westminster System posted:

If they are your puppet demand their forces.

If they are your ally accept the forces they offer to send.

Also personally, just realised that if you trade with a puppet they essentially give you resources for free, ie, it costs no factories.

It's literally the point of puppets, yeah. You trade out on getting factories for unmolested resources, which is good for like, Netherlands.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
They're my ally and they've been in this same war with me for about 5 years. They were helping of their own accord then randomly stopped.

El Salvador is sending me tiny expeditionary forces, god bless them, but I need Venezuela's 70, please.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's literally the point of puppets, yeah. You trade out on getting factories for unmolested resources, which is good for like, Netherlands.

the netherlands will not defend their lovely islands any more than you will